Esper/Limit Break Concept with "Touch" Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SamIO

Just a li'l something swimming around in my head a few days, now. ^.^;

So I have this concept set on a near-future Earth; basically all the standard post-cyberpunk tropes you'd expect are in place (think Psycho-Pass's tech level). The protagonists are a group of otherwise typical people who have found themselves one way or another in contact with each other, ultimately leading them to a meet-up. The strange circumstances by which these totally unrelated individuals came to know each other will be the driving curiosity behind the plot.

So what? Well, one way or another, these protagonists become aware of an unusual trait they possess — which obviously wasn't there before — that isn't so much a superpower as it is an absolute fact. One might become totally incapable of missing a throw, another may find themselves devoid of any injuries after being knocked over by a car, a third might realize they knew exactly what happened before hearing about it. Think in terms of a single rule that the character might be bound by that the laws of physics will conspire to enforce.

Character A has perfect dexterity.
Character B has an impregnable body.
Character C has localized omniscience.

The reason I noted in the title Touch tones is because Jake Bohm's ability sort of informs the story, except for the fact that what he does isn't quite appropriate for the kind of absolute rules that protagonists will develop. Perhaps there's somebody whose rule is I have qualified omnipotence. The characters, then, would be the exception to this rule.

Really vague idea going on, here, and I'm not sure how deep I'll be able to go into it, just yet. But I thought I'd give it a shot, anyhow, just to test the waters. :3

OOC Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
That list dealing with characters and their traits was just an example, right?

Reactions: SamIO
So, if I'm interpreting this correctly, instead of a character possessing a unique supernatural enhancement, such as fire generation or psionic abilities or whatnot as a product of genetics or some other natural occurrence, instead, the universe itself bends to make the character an exception to otherwise unbreakable scientific rules? Such as flight being biologically impossible for humans, except in the case of one particular person?

I like that. A lot, actually.

I'm really interested, but I'm afraid with my current stress I won't have the energy to be as active as I'd want to be. I'm on the up-swing, though, so I'll see if I can join when it goes up.

Count me as interested and so does a friend of mine. The whole idea gave me time for thinking curious ideas and scenarios i´d like to try.

@Sammy Khoa I ask because I was wondering about the extent of these unusual powers since people sometimes abuse the powers of a character, for example, powers like omnipotence or omniscence.

@Sammy Khoa I ask because I was wondering about the extent of these unusual powers since people sometimes abuse the powers of a character, for example, powers like omnipotence or omniscence.
They'd be subject to GM approval, so nothing like that would ever fly.

But yeah, this is interesting.

• Useful
@chainedfiction, @Zombehs;
I'd certainly be proofing characters before throwing them in, but I should note that the OPness of the characters is sort of what makes them the protagonists. To give you guys an idea of what fits in, I'll repost something I wrote in a PM the other day.

Sam said:
If it's an absolute, an infinity, something that can be written in the form of a rule, I think it fits.

I am indestructible.
I am where I want to be.
I am always precise.
I am always one step ahead.

The fact that the characters are OP is what makes them candidates for plot armor — because I'm thinking the antagonist is somebody who has the following rule:

I am able to do whatever I want.

Exceptions are something significant, I think. The protagonists are, for example, the exceptions for this foe.

I am indestructible except that I must plan on it.
I am where I want to be except where there's something in my way.
I am always precise except in complex things.
I am aware of everything except for things far away.
I am able to do whatever I want except when an infinity is involved.

. . .​

I guess what distinguishes infinities from your usual superpowers is that they are focused on something intuitive and not so much fundamental. Whereas you derive secondary powers from superpowers because they control a fundamental aspect of reality and therefore affect more than the obvious, an infinity just is what it is and nothing more.

I am indestructible except that I must plan on it. That's it. No implied ability to manipulate mass/inertia or velocity or anything like that. Just pure and simple indestructibility.

Of course, this is all open to interpretation. I'm still trying to wrap my own mind around the idea, it's so raw. ^.^;

Ah, well if that's the case, I'd be better off backing away. In that case, I hope you find more people who are interested. (:

Interesting. Don't suppose you're familiar with Contessa from Worm? Her power is remarkably similar to an example you used.

Eh. Personally not my cup of tea, but it's not bad. Massive word count though, about 1.5 million iirc and a fairly dark tone overall.

• Useful
Yes. Even if I have to quit stuff to be part of this. I want in.

I'm in too. This is a pretty sweet idea.

Getting a lot more interest in this one than I was anticipating! :o

I'll see about writing up a meaningful plot this week. While I'm working on that, what kind of things are you guys thinking about? Any plot candies relevant to this? Ideas for a character floating around your heads?

Reactions: tipsytotodile
Over the last few days i´ve been thinking into my character and his motivations. A hard aspect for it is particularly the flaws, which although I can come to picture many with my mind, it feels like alot of self-criticism targeted my way. Regardless I came with my idea. It revolves around a thought I had regarding a mundane experience that I, quite more often that not, lived through.

Picture this scenario:
Theres this person who wakes up and realizes he is pretty late for work and rushes out knowing that he might actually find himself in an uncomfortable situation with their boss. However despite how odd it may sound, by the time he arrives, he realizes he didn´t only reach in time but also some what sooner, realizing now he had time to spare. The trait i´m currently developing revolves around this phenomenon of "Spare time."

Status
Not open for further replies.