Esper/Limit Break Concept with "Touch" Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I lost internet for this whole week, so sorry I didn't join in sooner.

Perfect aim was brought up, but the only idea I have so far is more like absolute attack. Whenever the character makes an attack, it always strikes their target, ignoring the boundaries of space and time (so, for example, she could shoot someone in the past if she intended to aim at them in that time period). I think it might be a little overpowered even for this though, as with a little digging we could, say, find out who the villain's mother is and shoot her from the future. I'll post more thoughts on plot later, I have a lot to catch up on.

Yeah, that might be a bit too combat-oriented. I want to avoid characters that are nothing more than weapons. ^.^;

This roleplay is more of a scifi drama than an action-thriller despite having both components, so characters should be somewhat versatile. Think utility abilities. :3

The laws of physics will bend and warp to help us out, but outright rejecting intuition is something that might be stretching the concept beyond its specification. Characters should have laws that tip the scales in their favor in certain situations in the form of a very specific trump-card that can't really solve their problems but can be used to help them figure things out.

For example, a character whose aim is perfect is only able to be perfect if they're not trying to pull any extravagant stunts like bouncing a baseball off fifty different surfaces before catching it — but they'd be the one you trust with a gun if you're being used as a meatshield.

A reversal of this could look like a character whose ability involves being able to predict complex motion perfectly, but is not necessarily able to apply it. This character can give perfect countdowns (Jump now!) and judge exact distances and so on. Probably an engineer's best friend, too. :o

D: by that little sentence I meant as the group ran away we could show our laws by getting away as those lawless ones get captured/killed by corp.

Anyways, not that it matters cause I like the grubby fingers idea much better.

How about a combination? We can have someone pulling the stings in ways beyond conventional means AND have the grubby fingers be just a part of that.

I'm leaning towards the quiet approach, but am currently having difficulty picturing how that gets started... will think on it more.

A naturally-occurring infinity goes mad because they can't find a single comrade. So they make their own. :O

Could be an excuse for a Big Bad that can go toe-to-toe with the whole party. They're the only true infinity.

• Love
Reactions: Mglo
So yeah, i was wondering. Is there an estimated date for when this starts?

Not yet; this idea is so raw I've been busy trying to reckon the thing into existence. I had an OOC drafted last weekend, but when I reviewed it yesterday I wasn't satisfied and scuttled it. :c

I'm still getting caught up in the actual plot, which I'm afraid to mar with hyper-tropey lameness. Sorry for the delay. ^.^;

Reactions: Kingofheart
Delay is worth it. As we talk about it more it takes more shape. I like being part of the process, and it makes more sense to wait for a satisfying beginning than to rush in particularly with the kind of plot we're aiming for.

• Thank You
Reactions: SamIO
I'd forgotten to keep you guys updated in any case! ^.^;

I've been mulling over the idea that characters are strapped into a fairly heavy-handed cyberpunk theme in which they are sort of forced to come to terms with their potential for world-changing force. The monkeywrench comes in after they've started to really make things rumble (read: when they're experienced with exploiting their laws) when certain parties (read: a union of corporate interests) recognize the potential threat to the world order.

Perhaps lategame we see some post-cyberpunk optimism and we play around with some Touch-inspired plots if you guys are into the feels sort of stuff. :o

Reactions: Mglo
i didn´t really get the "read:" part. But it sure sounds fine by me.

I'm always up for cyberpunk.

I haven't really been talking, but definitely still here.

• Thank You
I've been craving cyberpunk. The ones I've tried joining haven't panned out so my hopes are high here D:

EDIT:
haha, no pressure!

• Thank You
Howdy people! I'm also interested in this idea you've got going here. I'm in as well.

As far as the whole why/how situation, it seems to me that a good explanation would be that our characters aren't exactly human. What if, say, the world were being attacked by extra-terrestrials, or beings from another dimension? These things are governed by a specific, different set of natural laws, which somehow give them an upperhand in the fight against humanity. To attempt to even the ground a bit, our characters were selected/abducted/drafted to receive modification. Now, in some ways, our characters are governed by the human set of laws, and in another by the alien set of laws, creating a sort of confusion as things try to mesh, which results in our characters' "special powers" when certain conditions are met. This, of course, suggests multiple antagonists for the story, as well (the alien invaders, or, if we want, we could decide that humanity stinks or revenge is nice, and go after those who ripped us from our perfectly-normal lives to turn us into these things).

I do enjoy a good higher being being plot, but I don't know if the others have the same genre in mind. I think I'll let @Mglo and @Kingofheart speak for themselves, though. I recall some discussion from them about some harder scifi. ^.^;

I like the idea, but I worry that it's taking us more into the futuristic scifi fantasy if we start getting involved with space and aliens in that manner and to that extent. If possible, I'd like to stick to the cyberpunk genre and keep the world more grounded err earthbound?

Having said that, I think we can take the essence of @Kiddo 's idea and combine it with what we'd already talked about. This:

A naturally-occurring infinity goes mad because they can't find a single comrade. So they make their own. :O

Could be an excuse for a Big Bad that can go toe-to-toe with the whole party. They're the only true infinity.
And combine it with this:
As far as the whole why/how situation, it seems to me that a good explanation would be that our characters aren't exactly human. What if, say, the world were being attacked by extra-terrestrials, or beings from another dimension? These things are governed by a specific, different set of natural laws, which somehow give them an upperhand in the fight against humanity. To attempt to even the ground a bit, our characters were selected/abducted/drafted to receive modification. Now, in some ways, our characters are governed by the human set of laws, and in another by the alien set of laws, creating a sort of confusion as things try to mesh, which results in our characters' "special powers" when certain conditions are met. This, of course, suggests multiple antagonists for the story, as well (the alien invaders, or, if we want, we could decide that humanity stinks or revenge is nice, and go after those who ripped us from our perfectly-normal lives to turn us into these things).
Somehow... I have some ideas, but they seem to be getting too complicated whilst not fitting in well enough. I'll think on it.

• Love
I particularly am not very fond of introducing lots of new species to a setting, whilst it might create a bigger universe over all with this higher being essence. I think it would also bring alot of question like which are the limitations of this aliens? Since our boundaries don´t apply which are their boundaries? Are they from a single or multiple species?

While it may sound like a half-assed argument i firmly believe adding new species brings more questions to the table. Much like Mglo i am fond with the cyberpunk genre.

• Love
Woo hoo! Plus more interest.

As much as I'd like to, I don't think I can commit to take on that role BUT I'm more than willing to help out. Collaborate. mebbe even co-story tell D:

• Thank You
Character coming up, I'm leaning towards my initial luck law idea though there's still another one creeping its way in. I'll make up my mind soon and post it.

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.