Elvin Vale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Faelwen again simply allowed herself to enjoy the time they were able to walk together. It had been funny the way Kris had snapped to attention after she had opened the door. Did she really have such an effect on him? Well, she really couldn't imagine otherwise. It always made her feel warm and fuzzy when she was able to surprise him like that. As they continued, she began to notice more shops. Wow, so many, and more people as well. Hmm, they'd have to be careful if they were going to avoid pickpockets.

She looked around for a butchery or grocery. "I think I have a couple silver left and possibly five coppers. It should cover everything else." It took a little bit, but she finally spotted a butcher's shop. Her finger pointed it out to Kris, "If we get the meat first we can ask them what would be good for seasonings. I thought I saw a grocery somewhere around here..."

And thus their shopping began in earnest. The butcher turned out to be a rather friendly fellow, if a bit loud, and he was happy to inform them that onion, garlic, thyme, and oregano would go well with almost any kind of meat or poultry and that yes, cooking in a skillet was much easier for the sake of adding flavor to the meat. Considering they'd be making a stop at the orphanage anyway at this point, Kris was fine with this. They obtained two quarter-pound slabs of beef wrapped in butcher paper from him before thanking him and continuing on down the market. After visiting a grocery and an herb shop, the two of them finally left the market with their two packages of bread, the meat, an onion, two carrots, a clove of garlic, a small bunch of oregano leaves, and a sprig of thyme. By this point, of course, Kris had insisted on carrying the basket. Between the two of them only two coppers were left, and he felt surprisingly happy. He couldn't be bothered about money when they were off to have a splendid lunch together.

"Right," he said as he shifted his grip on the basket handle. "We need to head to the orphanage next. The route we took the other day was a little...unorthodox, but I'll let you decide if you're more comfortable in the alleys or on the main roads."

There were plenty of smiles and laughter as the duo made their way through the various shops. Kris did most of the negotiations at this point, allowing her to browse through other items. This was the first time she had been in these shops, or out shopping freely for that matter. This was nice, and by the time they were finished, she had sated her curiosity for such things.

Faelwen laughed a little. "I usually don't use the alleyway to get there. I just happened to notice I was being watched, and wanted to be sure I wasn't followed. A lot of good that did me though." She steered him down a rode to the right and used the larger roads to end up on the correct one. "The kids may be a bit excited to meet you at first...so try not to be too surprised if they drag you inside to play." She still wasn't sure if he'd want to be in the company of the high strung young ones.

Kris chuckled. "I was impressed you noticed something was afoot. That said, I do have my methods." He kept close to her as they journeyed through the streets, and after a couple of minutes, he recognized the stretch of road they'd turned onto. This was pretty close to the place where they'd begun their chase through the alleys the other day, and boy, had she given him a workout. He'd just caught sight of the brick building up ahead when Faelwen broke the silence, and when he turned to her, it was apparent from his facial expression that the realization that he'd soon be in the company of many hyper, rapacious kids had hit him once more. His brow knit as he fidgeted with his cloak with his free hand; images of a pack of children literally grabbing him by the cloak and pulling him inside had come to mind. "Thanks for the warning," he said. "I'll try to stay calm." He took a deep breath and tried not to look too stressed as he stepped up to the door with her. Oh, he dearly hoped the knives on his belt would be ignored. It wouldn't take much to pull one out of its sheath, and he did not trust a child with a poisoned blade. Surely no one would. His thoughts began to race. Would the people who ran this place disapprove of him being armed at all? Maybe he should untie the sheaths from his belt and put them somewhere for safekeeping, but he didn't have any idea where. If he left them with his cloak, a curious child might find them. But keeping them on his person was no guarantee either. He wasn't accustomed to keeping his eyes on multiple people when those people were only as tall as his waist. He'd rather not go to the trouble of removing them from his belt in the first place, given the choice... He could take the belt off, but if these children were as mischievous as he feared, he was sure one would inevitably try to yank his pants down once they noticed he was beltless. Agh, this wasn't helping him calm down at all. He took in another measured breath and let it out slowly through his nose, but a part of him was aware that it was all too obvious from the look on his face that he wasn't happy with this situation.

Faelwen smiled apologetically, "I'll try to at least get them to give you some space." She raised her hand to knock on the door, again to be greeted by the sound of many little feet pounding against the floor. Oh, please let Kris see something good in children. That would be such a large step. A boyish voice was heard from the other side of the door.
"Are ye friend, or foe?!" This was promptly followed by a small yelp of pain. Poor boy had probably gotten hit for the lame question.
"What are you doing? The headmaster said not to answer the door."
"I didn't answer it, I just asked a question."
"Well it was a stupid question."
"Yeah, Garrett. It was a stupid question." this voice was definitely female.
"No one asked you, Sanya."
"Lord, do none of you stop?" This voice was a much older female, who sounded just the slightest bit frazzled. "I've got half an inkling to take away your dessert for tonight. All you've been doing today is arguing." Muffled sounds of apology could be heard at this point. After the sounds stopped, the lady who ran the orphanage opened the door a crack. When she saw who it was, she couldn't stop a smile from spreading across her lips. "Well, look who it is. Vanya! You're back so soon!" The door was practically thrown open when the children heard who it was. A chorus of happy voices could probably be heard a block away as they shouted their welcome.

The group of children stopped though when they noticed she wasn't alone. Curious eyes stared intensely at the man in a black cloak. Finally a small girl spoke up from the back. "Vanya...who is that man? You've never brought him here before."
Faelwen looked back at Kris, glad that he could at least see the kids before they rushed at him. "Oh, him?" she asked pointing a finger at him. The young ones all nodded in unison, making Fae smile. "He's my boyfriend. Oh, and can you keep a secret?" Fae leaned close to the kids as if she were really telling them a secret. Her voice lowered to a whisper, though it could be clearly heard by everyone nearby. "He's not used to kids, so be nice if you want him to play." Again the entire group nodded. The princess straightened up and clapped her hands together. "Now then, I brought you some rolls. Who wants to unpack them?" That statement broke the kids frozen state. Each child seemed to be doing something different. The two older twin boys came to collect Faelwen's cloak, while a few of the others took her hands to lead her inside. A small girl hezitantly reached up to grasp the edge of Kris's cloak and give a small tug. "Excuse me, Mister. But you can come in now..."

Kris wasn't surprised at the bickering he could hear behind the door. It was exactly the kind of thing he remembered; play together children might at some times, but then they went right back to disagreeing with each other just because they could. When at last the door opened and the gathered children cried out in welcome all at once, he visibly cringed from the noise. Too many voices! Too many loud shrill voices... He did his best to recover after a second, only to realize that just about every individual beyond the door was staring right at him. He could feel the heat of their gazes on him. Ah, he had to make a good first impression! He managed what he hoped was a friendly smile when Faelwen introduced him as her boyfriend, and though what she followed up with embarrassed him a little, he was also grateful that she made an effort to make it easier on him. The tension was broken once Faelwen mentioned food, and against all odds, Kris found himself chuckling just a little. Of course a child would be spellbound by the thought of sweet rolls. The sight of the two boys taking her cloak was the same sight he'd seen a few days ago from further away, and unfortunately, he couldn't help but feel an uncomfortable tug in his gut at the thought that these kids were having their way with Faelwen's things and pulling her inside without her saying anything. His face went hard again before he could control it. Don't you dare. I don't trust your smiles... Don't you dare hurt her.

But that was before he felt a gentle tug on his cloak. He looked down only to find a little girl there, looking up at Kris with the sweetest eyes he'd ever seen and a most innocent little voice. She was cute, very cute. Not cute in the way he'd tagged various women as pretty, lovely, sexy, beautiful, handsome, or cute based on the particular vibe they gave off. No, this was cute. This was the kind of cute that yanked on his heartstrings and made him want to wrap the cute thing up in his cloak and take it home and give it warm milk. A gentle smile played at his face, and he laughed a little. "It's all right, I'm coming in," he said to her as he stepped carefully inside. It wouldn't do to accidentally kick anyone. "You can call me Kris. That's my name. And what's your name, sweetie?"

Faelwen glanced back to see a small girl pulling on Kris's cloak. At least she was one of the quieter kids here, perhaps she'd be a sort of first step for him. Fae's attention was soon pulled away from the man as nearly every child asked where the promised rolls were. Usually she was carrying the bag. Faelwen cringed a moment at the thought. Well, Kris would be more hastily introduced to them. "Kris has them...just...ask him nicely for them."

The small girl giggled at his nickname for her. "I am Lillian. That's the name the head master gave me. Auntie Vanya likes to call me Lilly though." She smiled happily up at the man. At least he wasn't as scary as he may have looked before. Soon the tromping of feet was heard as most of the other children rushed over.

They stopped their stampede just before running into the man. "Vanya said you had the rolls for us." One boy pleaded.
" May we please have them now?" A girl possibly around the age of eleven asked in a sickeningly sweet tone.

"Lillian! That's a very pretty name." Mm, yes, this cute little girl wasn't so bad. Now as long as the others behaved, this visit might go without a hitch. But no sooner had he finished the sentence than he heard and saw the crowd of children that had formerly been around Faelwen suddenly rush toward him, and like that, a switch flipped in his mind, a long-learned survival instinct. Run. He knew the image before him, the image of a pack of children running towards him, aiming to mob him or scare him, and his only option was to run. Run. His legs moved backwards in a panic before he had control of them. His eyes were wide, seeing different faces on these children than those that were actually there. No. Leave me alone. Go bother someone else! What do you want from me?

But then, with a startled yelp, Kris' heel hit the sill of the open door behind him and sent him keeling backwards to fall on his behind on the stone stoop. The pain snapped him out of his vision, though it did cause him to wince strongly and begin to utter "Fffu-" before he caught himself and turned it into "...-udge." Fudge. Eh, it would do. Hopefully they weren't old enough to think too much into that. After a moment's indulgence in the injury he returned to his senses and, as was in his habit, smiled and made to brush it off with a joke, if not a very well-thought-out one. "Aaaand that's why you watch your step around doorways, ladies and gentlemen! Silly me. Oof..." He pushed himself up, and once he had his footing he stood all the way up with the basket in hand once more. "All right, everyone stay calm. Your rolls are right here. Let's not get too crazy." He reached into the bag, but quickly realizing he had no idea how this process was usually handled to make sure everyone got what they wanted without anyone getting hurt, he looked to Faelwen for guidance. "Is there a usual procedure for this?" he asked.

Faelwen felt that something bad may happen simply by watching the way the children rushed at him. The way his eyes widened and his feet seemed to move on their own. I'm sorry. She wouldn't have been able to stop them before they backed him out of the building. She stepped over to pick up the crying Lillian who was currently on the floor, having been knocked over as the others rushed toward Kris. Only a couple of the older youngsters had remained behind, and they also stepped forward to stop the press of children after Kris had taken his fall. The had seen something odd in his reaction, but weren't able to tell what it was.

Most of the kids went wide eyed as Kris fell, they hadn't meant to cause him to hurt himself. A select few looked as if they could care less though, they just wanted the sweet rolls, it didn't matter if anyone got hurt. At least Kris didn't seem to be permanently damaged. He even tried joking about the matter. The children took that as a sign that he was ok, and took slower steps toward him to reach for the bag he offered. By this time, Fae had been able to calm Lilly down. She small girl had a tiny scrape on her knee due to the fall, but wasn't harmed otherwise. The princess made her way through the crowd when Kris asked if there was a special way to hand the rolls out. She nodded, and adjusted Lilly on her hip. Honestly, she would have taken the bag, but the girl was a little too big to be carried around so easily. "Yes, there is." She turned back to the group of children, giving them a look of disapproval. "What do you all need to say?"
A unanimous round of 'I'm sorry' was heard. Some kids added a title for him, Mister, Sir, and a few of the rambunctious boys added 'Vanya's Boyfriend'.
"And to Lilly. She got hurt because of you all as well." Fae's voice was stern, and held no room for argument. One of the few times she was so serious and stubborn.
Another round of apology was uttered, the kids now looking a little ashamed of themselves. Again not all, a few were quite obviously faking their behavior.
Faelwen looked around the room a moment to be sure every child knew what had been done wrong. It was the least she could do at this point. Honestly, she had asked that they be nice. Well, perhaps excitement would over rule the instruction. Her look softened as she gave a nod. At that signal one of the twin boys walked up to Kris and held out his hands to take the bag. "Me and my brother usually handle this part." The other twin soon stood behind his brother. "Yes, we know who gets what."

Kris was relieved to see a couple of the older children come closer and offer to handle the distribution of the rolls for him. "You have my thanks, good sirs," he told them with a smile as he took the bag from the basket and eased it into the arms of the closer of the two boys. The focus of most of the gathered children immediately shifted to the ones handling their promised food, giving Kris a chance to brush himself off and back away from the crowd. He caught Faelwen's eye and eased his way over to her location, taking care not to disturb any of the children in his way. He'd heard her say that Lillian had been hurt, and through some force unknown to him, Kris wanted more than anything else to see if she was all right. She'd seemed like such a sweet girl. "Is she okay?" he asked Faelwen quietly once he was nearly next to her. "I didn't notice she got knocked over. Poor thing." He stooped down a little bit to look into Lillian's eyes instead. "Are you all right, Lilly? The big kids knocked you over, didn't they? That wasn't very nice of them."

What was this feeling he felt in his chest when he looked at this little girl? He'd never been one to trust children's smiles, but he trusted her. She was not only nonthreatening to him, but kind, and what was more, her shy demeanor and the way she'd been at the mercy of the bigger children reminded him all too much of himself in his younger days.

The little girl was still sniffling a little as Faelwen held her. Lillian's head rested on the princess's shoulder, her eyes teary and red. Her lips still quivered in a pout as her arms hung around Fae's neck. Faelwen smiled softly as she looked over to Kris. At least he wasn't leaving her here....though she would have understood his reasons. "It's a bit of a scrape, but nothing serious."
Lillian however shook her head at his first question, and nodded to the second. Her little voice was rather serious when she answered. "They always knock me over when Vanya brings rolls. They say I'm a baby for crying too. Look. They made me scrape my knee." Her hands let go of Faelwen as she pointed to her injured knee.
Faelwen sighed, yes, that seemed to be true. Even if she made the kids apologize, they would repeat the mistake next time. She wasn't quite sure what to do. She wasn't the head master, so it wasn't her place to discipline them. However, she always made sure Lillian got one of the larger rolls after the others were munching on their's. Sure enough, one of the older twins came over with an untouched sweet roll in one hand, and a half eaten cinnamon bun in his other. The sweet roll was given to Lilly before the boy left to sit by his brother. Lillian's tears stopped as she began eating her roll.
Fae looked around for a spare seat. Lillian was nearly four years old, and she was a little big to just carry around. Besides, Fae would need to find a bandage and a rag to take care of the girl's knee. The chairs, however were occupied by happy children as they munched their rolls. With a sigh, Faelwen looked at the small child in her arms. "Lillian, I'm going to have to set you down for a moment. Do you think you can wait here with Kris as I get the bandages?"
Lilly's eyes widened at the thought, and she quickly threw her arms around Faelwen's neck, sticky hands and all. Her eyes watered up again as she almost started to cry. "No! I don't want to. If you put me down they'll just knock me over again! It happens every time you leave, when the head master sees you out."
The princess turned to Kris, hoping he would be able to help. "Can you go up to the bathroom, and get the first aid kit? I'd like to take care of her knee before we leave." Of course he did have the option of holding the girl if she'd let him. But due to his recent experience, Fae didn't really think he would want to.

The emotion Kris now knew was empathy gripped his chest as Lillian answered him. She was a frequent victim, not just of this assault, whether it was accidental or meditated, but also of teasing, and that was intentional no matter how one looked at it. He'd been there. He shivered as unwanted images of his bullies surfaced in his mind. "Scaredy-cat" and "shrimp" had been a couple of their favorite insults. He could still hear their cruel laughing tone ringing in his head. It took him a few seconds to force the memories away and return to the matter at hand. "Of course," he said. "I'll be right back."

A look around the room showed him where the stairwell was fairly quickly, so he sidled through the assorted children in the room and headed upstairs. When he reached the upstairs hallway, he was much less sure of where to go, but after systematically testing several doors he eventually found the one that led to the bathroom. Aside from two buckets that served as toilets, there was a larger wooden tub as well as a counter near a wall-mounted mirror, and on the corner of this counter was a small wooden box that contained strips of clean cloth and a few glass vials of herb extracts and the like. Assuming this was the first aid kit, he picked it up and began to head back downstairs. While it had two long holes cut into the wood of the short sides that were clearly meant to be handles, he could also hold it with one arm if he balanced the bottom of the box on his forearm and hand just right, and this was what he found himself doing as he walked, because it left his free hand to poke curiously through the vials. He had a feeling Faelwen knew what all of these were and exactly how to use them, but Kris was completely clueless. While they were labeled, the writing was very small, and even if it had been more legible, reading had never been Kris' strong point, particularly when most of the terms here were ones he didn't know. He took one small vial in his hand and eyed it curiously; it seemed to contain a fluid that was mostly clear but had a slight green hue to it. That didn't tell him much.

"Garrett! You give that back!"

"Ha! You'll have to come get—"

It all happened very fast. The box in the lower third of Kris' vision combined with the fact that he hadn't been paying attention to where he was going meant that he didn't see the child in front of him until he felt his legs hit something warm and alive. Two yelps of surprise were heard, one from the child underfoot and one from Kris himself, and in less than a second, the ground rushed forward to meet him. He caught himself with his arms, but the basket slid away and tipped over, and the vial Kris had been inspecting flew for half a second before hitting the hardwood floor with a shrill crash. Shards of glass scattered across the floor, leaving a strong scent of tea tree oil.

"I don' see any empty jars. Are y'sure they were here?"

"I'm positive they were! If Tris has gotten into the cabinets again, I'll..."

"Ugh, that child. I can' help bu' worry we'll ne'er be rid o' him..."

But eight-year-old Tris was long gone. He leaned against a wall in a hallway across the orphanage, four near-empty glass jars clutched to his chest. Here. Here was where he would have his revenge for last Thursday. He left one end of the hall and scouted the doorway behind him one last time before he raised each jar, one at a time, and smashed it on the hard ground as hard as he could. When he was done, the entryway to the hall was littered with shards of broken glass. Satisfied with his work, he moseyed back towards the play room.

"Wha' was that?"

"I bet Kris broke some'n again."

"Ha. Stupid little scaredy Kris an' his tantrums. He cries like a little girl."

He could hear them as he approached, but he wouldn't let them get to him this time. He shuffled into the room as if feeling gloomy, faked tears springing to his eyes.

"Oy, there he is!"

"Kris! What did you do?"

His head snapped up as if in fright, and after a moment of pretending to be ashamed, he turned and fled the scene, heading back the way he came. A couple of yells behind him confirmed that at least those closest three of the other children were following him. His face twisted in determination now. He had them. Right...here.

He made a sharp turn into the hallway, but the very moment he did, he called forth his will and blinked forward, landing several feet past the doorway where it was safe. He turned when he heard the unmistakeable cries of pain, excruciating pain. Of course they were barefoot. Everyone was always barefoot around here.

He surveyed the scene, and he laughed.

Kris blinked, suddenly realizing he'd been staring dumbfoundedly at that broken vial for a few seconds now. Something balked inside him, and his eyes snapped open wide. "I'm sorry!" he cried as he pushed himself to his hands and knees and scooted forward. "Oh, beg pardon, I'm sorry, I am so sorry." He hurried to scoop the shards of glass into a small pile and start picking them up, placing them in one hand with care. "Everyone stay back. Do not touch the broken glass. I don't want anyone stepping on it, all right?"

Faelwen smiled gratefully as Kris left to gather the box she had created for the children. It wasn't much, but at least they wouldn't be getting infections or such. She silently rocked Lillian back and forth as the child relaxed enough to resume eating her roll. Most of the other kids had finished, some were still licking their sticky fingers though. It was an endearing sight. Right now they weren't bickering or fighting, they were being children. Fae gazed at them softy, once again wishing for her own. However the peace didn't last very long. Soon enough one of the boys, again Garrett, seemed to have taken a liking to a girls teddy bear. He asked her for it initially, but when it wasn't given, he simply took it out of her hands. Faelwen sighed as she noticed the guilty boy about to run up the steps. At that moment, she was able to hear Kris's boots pounding against the floor just by the stair case. She tried to push her way through the kids, watching as Garrett headed straight for a familiar pair of legs. "Garrett! Watch out!" It had been too late though.

Everything moved slowly as Kris toppled down the remaining quarter of the staircase. Thankfully, Garrett had managed to hold onto the banister, keeping himself on the stairs. The boy did rub his head and began to pout. But he didn't cry, crying was for girls or babies, not little boys. The head master had come in when she heard a pair of yelps. She had been afraid something would happen. The woman immediately tended to Garrett, soothing him and lightly reprimanding him for taking the bear in the first place. Faelwen's eyes were focused on a different figure. Kris seemed froze as he stared at the broken jar. Was he reliving some memory? She wasn't sure, but she did come closer as the other children made way for her. "Kris? Kris...are you all right?"

He seemed to snap out of his trance then, and his demeanor nearly broke her heart. He had been living in memory...something about his apologies and reaction seemed to point to that fact. "Kris...." Fae spoke softly, her eyes tearing up. "Kris it's all right, the older two can help." She turned to the twins, "Jared, Turin, go get the broom, dustpan, and waste bin."
Lillian watched as the two boys easily stepped over the dangerous area and began gathering the requested items. The little girl didn't know what happened, but she did know the Vanya was upset by it. She had finished her roll a little while ago, and now placed her sticky hands on Fae's cheeks. "Auntie Vanya....what's wrong? Did some of the glass get you?"

Kris heard Faelwen call the two older boys to help, and he looked up in time to see them head off to find him a broom. "Thank you," he told them as they passed. He looked back at the mess he'd made. He was most worried about the smallest bits of glass that might go unseen, but hopefully a broom would help with that. And what was he to do about this puddle of pungent plant oil? How much had it been worth, anyway? He was already burning in shame from the knowledge that he'd just destroyed a piece of orphanage property, accidental or not. He looked up to Faelwen, his voice quiet but urgent. "Fae, what was this and how much was it? I'll pay for a replacement. It's the least I can do." He didn't realize his emotions were muddled enough to make him forget about her pseudonym. No, she was crying! Was she crying because of him? He pushed himself up in his kneeling position until he was sitting up straight on his heels. "Hey, look, don't worry about me. I'm fine. Just a little shaken, is all." By this point the twin boys had returned, and Kris took the broom and pan from them and set about cleaning up the rest of the mess with a peculiar fervor. He wanted to do all he could to remedy his mistake. "If you could maybe get an old rag to soak up the oil, that'd be excellent. Thanks."

Faelwen smiled softly, trying to mask the guilt she felt for throwing him into this position. If she hadn't been so adamant about seeing these kids, he would have suffered less pain. But...he had offered to come. He could have turned back at any point, and he didn't. He loved her that much....to suffer through these memories. The sound of her name brought her out of these thoughts, wait. Her name! Fae glanced around, hoping none of the children or even the headmistress had heard him. She could be banned from coming here, if they knew. Fear of possibly being shut down for not being up to par, or even pride, not wishing to accept such high born help. Of course, it was also possible that nothing would be done. Whatever happened, only a few of the children had heard it, and most ignored it, not knowing to whom Kris may be referring. However, one twin who had stayed behind to pick up the first aid kit had heard, and he knew only one girl with that name, the eldest Princess. Could it be possible, that a princess would come down from her seat of comfort to help them? Perhaps he would discuss it with his brother when the visitors left.

Faelwen calmed down, what was said couldn't be taken back. What the children did with the information would be apparent soon enough. "It was just some tea tree oil. You don't have to worry about paying for it. I had made it a while ago, so I'll just give them another vile. If you wish to help make it though, I would be happy to teach you." The missing twin soon returned and began cleaning the spilled oil. Soon enough the floor was spotless, and possibly cleaner than it had been prior to the accident.
Lillian looked confused as Fae answered the question. Who was Kris talking about? "Vanya, who's Fae?" Faelwen closed her eyes a moment, her mind taking over to think of an excuse.
"Fae is a nickname he uses to annoy the princess Faelwen. See, Kris works in the castle, and is often too busy to come down to visit me. That's why you haven't seen him. From what Kris tells me, he doesn't get along with the princess. She tries to trip him up, and he will do just as he did here. Maybe he was thinking of something that happened back at the castle." Eh, not her best story, but it convinced the toddler, who nodded along with it. At least she had explained it quietly so none of the other kids would ask more questions. A story could only go so far.

The mess was cleaned up without any further incident, but Kris looked up as he heard someone say "Fae." His gut clenched. He'd let that slip! At least Faelwen thought quickly enough to come up with a story. The story had holes, but with any luck it would do. Lilly was young and hopefully the only person who had heard. "Doesn't help anything that you and the princess look kind of similar," he grumbled as he stood up and approached them, hoping to help cement the story a little, but his face softened into a smile as he got close enough to Lillian to meet her curious gaze. "Don't worry, Lilly. Kris here is just a silly guy who gets frazzled and mixes his names up a lot. Vanya is Vanya, and she's much nicer than Princess Faelwen. Oh, but don't tell anyone I said that!" He lowered his voice to a playful, conspiratorial whisper for this last sentence and put a finger in front of his lips. "Can you keep my secret? Yes? That's a good girl."

Actually, Kris hadn't been able to help thinking that he could come up with a better story than that. It was too late to talk himself out of this one, but in the event that he ever let slip Faelwen's name again and around more mentally advanced company, they'd need a more convincing story. Hmm. It would be much easier to cover up the use of "Fae" as a nickname because it was already a word, and the whole name "Faelwen" was a lot harder to let slip anyway. Hopefully they'd be fine.

Faelwen let out a small sigh as Kris helped her story along. At least that mess was taken care of. Most of the children had made their way either to their rooms or the play area now, giving Fae a place to sit down. Lillian was definitely too heavy to be carried any more. Carefully, she nudged a chair out so she was able to sit down. Lilly was placed on her lap. "Turin, I need the kit over here please." The twin who had been tidying the box came over to set it by Fae. "Now then, Lilly. It's time we cleaned up your knee."
The little girl who had nodded along agreeing to keep Kris's secret, turned to Fae with wide eyes. "Will it hurt, Vanya?"
Fae smiled softly, "It may....just a little."
Lillian suddenly pushed herself off Faelwen's lap, and ran over to hide behind Kris's legs. "I don't want it if it hurts. See, my leg is all better." She walked around a little to prove her point. However, the girl didn't come out from behind Kris.
"But I need to put some medicine on it so it will heal faster. You don't want it to hurt for long do you?"
Lilly simply shook her head and clutched onto Kris's cloak.
Faelwen looked up to Kris, almost pleading for his help in the matter.

That seemed to settle the matter. Faelwen was now ready to tend to the injury, but it would seem Lillian was going to have none of it. Something happened in his heart when she ran to hide behind Kris' legs. She was just too adorable! He chuckled as she insisted on avoiding Faelwen's treatment. He understood her fear, but Faelwen did know what she was doing. He turned in place and sank down into a crouch so that he and Lillian could be on the same level. Something told him that was what one was supposed to do when trying to reason with a child, but he couldn't have said whether this was a bit of knowledge he'd picked up somewhere or an instinct of some kind. He placed a hand on the girl's shoulder before he spoke. "Lilly, all Vanya wants to do is clean your knee, that's all. It might not hurt anymore, but if we don't clean it, something gross might get in it when it tries to heal, like dirt or germs, and then your knee'll be all icky. We don't want your knee to get icky. We want it to heal over all nice and new and pretty, like nothing ever happened. So we need to clean it, okay? It'll only sting for a moment." He looked over his shoulder at Faelwen. "Do you want me to hold her? Might make things easier."

Last edited by a moderator:
Faelwen hadn't really expected Kris to be of much help. He told her himself that he despised the idea of sire in a child, and saw them as little liars. It wouldn't be surprising if he simply took the 'you will sit get it done' approach. However, none of that happened. She giggled a little as Kris lowered himself to Lillian's height, and tried reasoning with the child in terms she would understand. Hearing him use words such as 'gross' and 'icky' hadn't crossed her mind. The image of him speaking that way to the girl warmed her heart. Maybe it would be possible to have him change his opinion on the matter of children.

Lillian had initially looked hurt that Kris sided with Fae. However, his explanation did sound awful. She dried her tears before answering. "You promise that it will make my knee all better?" She held out her pinky finger to him, this had to be the most solemn promise she knew. "Pinky promise?" After that business was taken care of the girl looked much calmer. She tugged on his cloak before he got up. "You have to hold my hand when Vanya washes my knee. I won't cry if you do."

Faelwen nearly melted at the sight of them together. Ah, he'd be a good father, even if he wouldn't want to be. She watched as Lilly came over pulling Kris along. She tried clambering onto a chair opposite Fae for the operation.

Kris smiled and hooked his little finger on hers. "Pinky promise. Auntie Vanya's the best healer I know." He was about to stand up, but Lillian held him back a moment longer. His smile flickered away in surprise from the motion, but her next words brought the smile right back as warmth wrapped itself anew around his heart. Strange. He'd come into this building wary of children, of their entitled attitudes and their manipulative emotions. But Lillian...for some reason, he couldn't bring himself to think that way. Lillian was an innocent, vulnerable soul he couldn't have seen in a bad light if he tried. "All right, sweetie," he said. "Uncle Kris'll hold your hand the whole time."

Although he stood up to move, he stayed hunched over, and once Lilly had reached the target chair and made at least an attempt at climbing onto it, he crouched again and guided her into the seat with his strong hands. "There you go. Now I'll be right here, and hold my hand as long as you like, okay?" He remained in his position near the ground, his arm resting on the edge of the seat so that Lilly could reach his hand and hold it comfortably. "Tell Auntie Vanya when you're ready."

Status
Not open for further replies.