Ectoplasmic Evicters

• Thread starter camolot the creator
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
As Jack watched the creature be blasted to oblivion, he finally recognized her face, a look of irritation and horror spreading across his own as he turned towards the person he'd dragged into the room several minutes before.
"I know who Will just blasted, but why was she after you?" he said, running his finger along the edge of his deactivated katana, "That was Scare 'D. Cat' Tactic's girl, what did you do to bring the wrath of such a powerful ghost upon your head?"

His expression changed, taking on a calmer demeanor, yet curiosity was easily seen in his eyes as he walked over to the door and turned to Will. "How long do you think this field will last under the current conditions?"

I shook my head. "I'm not sure why that particular entity would think it had beef with me. Maybe i crashed his cult or something? But as for the field, it'll stay up almost indefinitely. It runs by leeching energy of any type from the surrounding area; the power cells in our weapons, the heat from the plasma ammunition and the door hinges, even the ectoplasmic remains of our poltergeist friend. It's in power saving mode right now, but as soon as aparanormal entity of some sort approaches it, it'll light up like a christmas tree and start feeding off of their energy, and the closer they get, the more energy it takes. Most weak spirits aren't even able to sustain their manifestation in the physical plane if they get too close." I frowned and looked over at him. "Why do you ask?"

Jack laughed as his friend answered the question directed at the stranger. "Knowing you, Will, I wouldn't be surprised if he were after you as well."
His expression changed to a look a steeled seriousness as he continued. "If he weren't before, he sure is gonna be now."
Looking over the field, he was quite impressed, the feeling even showing in his eyes as he opened a panel near the doorway, examining field's power source. "So that explains how it works."
He gently touched the apparatus, the cool chamber feeling good on his warm hands. "Ecto, electricity, and a phase inducer. Infinite energy due to storing potential when electricity isn't applied, and shifting to kinetic as the electricity reacts with the ecto, activating the phase inducer to create a pure ectoplasmic shield. Quite an impressive feat with only those three parts."

i smiled. "thanks. and look at this." i pointed at a small black cylinder connected to the main power junction. "it's also got a quantum vibrational engine. it allows the vibration of the energy field to shift and be in our plane of existence and other planes at the same time. if an entity tries to shift to another plane to get around it, that entity will discover the same field there as well. this is probably one of the safest rooms on the planet, and i'm not just saying that."

"So, the field travels along all of the walls as well?" Jack asked, raising an eyebrow as he laughed at his own naivete. "I guess it wouldn't make much sense if it didn't, would it?"
"Well, while we're in here,"
he said, as he turned towards the tables, "we might as well finish these gizmos, first of which is making this plasma sword more portable without losing it's durability."
He set the blade back on the table he had built it on as he drew up alterations of his schematics, trying every possible way to make it still maintain it's key components, yet be a fraction of the size, when he thought of a more amusing way of using the weapon.
"Will, would you mind bringing me that plasma rifle?" he asked, tinkering with the blade of the sword, "I think I can kill a couple more birds with one stone."

carefully, i handed the rifle to him, then drew my pistol and turned it on before placing it back into it's holster at my side. "make sure the rifle's systems are completely cycled down before you disassemble it. if you cross a wire or disconnected the wrong thing while it's still powering down, you could cause a positive feed back loop that could potentially vaporize this room and everyone in it." i tore off the Omnigoggles, then placed them on the counter and reached into the right pocket of the lab coat i was wearing, drawing out a small flashlight before approaching the mysterious unconscious figure, propping his head up and opening his eyelid before shining the light into his pupil in an attempt to trigger a response of some kind, either conscious or unconscious.

Doing as he was told, Jack patiently waited for the rifle to power down completely, finding a way to telescope the blade into the handle without causing too much loss of strength, before disassembling the rifle, finding a way to connect it's original power pack to the newly attached clip facing horizontally just under the barrel. He reattached the other necessary components, finding that they only need minimal relocating, and held up the gun to examine it.
"All I need to do now is test it," he said with a smile, flipping the switch on the blade as the gun came to life, causing a bright green glow to emanate from it's clip as the blade extended, the glow moving along it's edge before wrapping back around and pulsing through the gun like blood through a body. "then we can see if my idea worked."
As he adjusted the handle parallel to the gun, he smiled at how smoothly and free it could be moved, yet how solid it was when it locked itself into one of its three positions, allowing ease of control and a tight grip.
Before doing anything else, Jack built a second gun for Will to try out, this time allowing for the gun to be collapsible like the blade, making it just slightly larger than the pistol, testing how difficult it was to extend and retract it, making it as quick and easy as he could before handing it William.
"You flip the switch on the sword to extend the blade and the gun, but if you just want to use it at that size, you push this switch across from the trigger to lock it in place." pointing out its exact location before continuing, "It'll still allow you to obtain power from the plasma coil in the sword, whether you have it extended or not, but if you want to use the blade, merely push both buttons simultaneously. It may feel a bit odd at first, but I think you could get used to the feel of it if we practice with them enough. I'm going to refashion my own gun like this one and repair my visor. Would you like me to upgrade yours as well?"

after getting a slight retraction of the pupil from the unconscious man, i stood up and replied, patting my pistol as i did. "nah. this pistol was actually the first one that i made, and, for sentimental reasons, i'd rather keep it as it is. but thanks." that said, i walked over to the computer and began running sensor sweeps of the area outside of the field, searching for any evidence of ectoplasm or paranormal activity. all i picked up, however, was the trail of the poltergeist and it's remains.
"it appears to be safe now: sensor's aren't picking up any other entities in the building or anywhere around it."

Jack looked at his friend with a quizzical look, smiling at the misunderstanding. "I was asking about your visor, you goof. Mine got broken when I got slammed into that wall earlier." he said, removing it from his head, now realizing the large crack across its view-screen.
"Still, it wouldn't hurt to try these out before testing them in the field, but I need to make sure that the redesigns are compatible with the current software of the visors before I can make the most of them."

i looked at him, blinking twice. "well, crap." i turned back to the monitor. "still, though, the same thing applies to that specific pair of goggles. MK I, and still one of the best pairs." i repeated the sensor sweep, but didn't pick up anything local, though there seemed to be a higher concentration of exotic particles and energy just at the edge of sensor range. i drew the pistol, then reached into the back of the goggle cabinet and pulled out a second one, priming it. "there's a large concentration of energy to the north, and not the electrical kind. i'm guessing that that's the Calvary, sent in to finish us off. the energy signatures don't seem to be moving, so i think that they're waiting for orders or a signal of some kind. if we move now we can probably catch them off guard. so hurry and finish, because we're going to storm the fortress." i indicated the unconcious man with my left gun. "we'll leave him here; the room will automatically seal after we leave."

Jack decided that an upgrade could wait, merely replacing the screen before connecting it to his newly made weapon, switching it on and fully extending it as the HUD came to life, the energy meter rising over the bar, causing a grin to find its way onto his face. "I broke the ammo meter."
Looking over the HUD, he noticed that it didn't tell him the mode of his weapon, nor a charge meter. 'I'll have to add those next chance I get.' he thought to himself.
Powering down his weapon and compacting it before raising his screen, he walked over to Will and handed him his own, smiling. "Then let's get them fraggers and roast 'em good."

i faced him and smiled. "knew you would say that. and to think, we've worked together for all of a half-hour." i slammed the butt of my left pistol into the red door release button. there was a hiss and a woosh as the hydraulic system that controlled the auxiliary door retracted it up into the ceiling and out of sight. while the door was gone, the field remained, a sparking green wall of transparent energy. it wouldn't stop physical objects from going through, but anything with an ectoplasmic charge would be blocked as if hitting a steel wall.
i passed through the field, shivering slightly at the tingling feeling that the wall of energy caused. i stopped just outside the threshold, then turned my head. "i'm going to get the grenade launcher, pulse gun and the katana from the red weapons locker in the firing range." i grimaced. "i feel like we're going to need them. wait for me by the front door while i grab them."
without waiting to see what he did, i took the five steps between the lab and the firing range and went inside. the red and gray lockers sat there, undisturbed from the recent battle that had occurred mere feet away. i pressed my hand against a space of metal, and it lit up in a grid pattern, scanning my hand before opening. inside was a modified M203 grenade launcher, as well as a green bladed katana and a odd looking PANCOR Jackhammer with pipes, wires and conduits connected to it. each was in it's own holster, the katana in a sheathe, and i grabbed all three by their slings. i took the pulse gun out of it's and dumped the holster back into the locker, slinging the M203 and the katana over my shoulders before activating the pulse gun, then opening the gray locker and taking out the MK IV plasma prototype, a rebuilt Steyr AUG A3, and attached the M203 to the barrel, putting the pulse gun under my arm before walking to the door.
(PANCOR Jackhammer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancor_Jackhammer M203 grenade launcher: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M203_1.jpg Steyr AUG A3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Steyr_AUG_A3.jpg)

"I would say all that's overkill, but we're not dealing with any run-of-the-mill incorporeal here, but a high ranking Specter, so, despite what these babies can do," Jack said, gently patting his new weapon, "it wouldn't hurt to have a little extra fire power."
Readying his weapon, Jack stepped out of the room, looking back at Will as he asked "About how many do we have to take out?"

i walked into the reception area, replying as i did so. "i'm not sure how many there are total. the position that they're holding is right at the edge of sensor range; my guess is that they wanted to stay completely out of sensor range but underestimated my sensors by a few dozen feet, which is why i picked them up at all. once we get closer, i can run another sensor sweep with the omnigoggles, which might give us a clue as to exactly how many hostiles we're facing. and then when we know, we'll hit them with the pulse gun and this." i patted the modified M203. "shouldn't be a real problem. the initial shot from the pulse gun should get most of them, and i'll get a few more by slinging a few plasma grenade rounds in. at that point, though, we'll be going into close-quarters combat."records told me that the building that i guessed they were in has a series of maintenance tunnels and basements below it, which is probably why they chose that location to gather. we'll have to be in radio contact at all times. press the grey button on the side of your goggles; that should extend an earphone and a microphone." i handed the pulse gun to him, then retrieved my omnigoggles from the lab, returning to the reception area before pressing the grey button. a compartment popped open and released a small earphone while a small mike extended from the bottom of the goggles. i put them on and activated them again, checking battery power, radio functionality and weapon status.

As Jack listened, he nodded to confirm that he understood what he was being told before following suite and activating his mic, shifting the pulse gun in his hand as he did.
"That makes sense," he said, hearing feedback from Will's receiver, "but isn't there a way to access the tunnels without going in the front door? I know they might not expect it, but knowing Scare, he'd probably have a mob waiting for us at either end," he rubs his eyes with the thumb and forefinger of his left hand as he adds, "unless you were planning on hitting them from both sides. Am I correct to assume that that's what you meant?"

i stepped over the broken glass in the front window, momentarily mourning the loss of my new sign before moving on. "well, sort of, but not exactly. my actual plan is based on a few assumptions that i have accepted as fact for the sake of a battle plan that i liked. i assume that since Scare is coming after me, he will not know or not care about you. while i stage a frontal assault, a true 'storm-the-castle', which is exactly what he'll be expecting, he won't look for subterfuge." i pointed at the building, a five story brick construction, then indicated an alleyway next to it. "in that alley there is a hatch that says maintenance in all caps. open it, go down into the tunnel, then go north until you reach a pipe with hazard striping labelled as electrical. follow it up and out and into the main building, then fire through the wall to the west of your position with the pulse gun. by then, i'll be engaged in a fire fight with his forces, hopefully have them pinned down. they'll be gathered in the main lobby, safe from plasma fire unless they exit the actual building, and will believe that they are safe for the moment, and so their guard will either be down or focused on my position. i'm going to taunt them into arguing over whether or not to storm my position; at that point, they'll gather at the front door. a couple of sweeping shots with the pulse gun should obliterate most of them, and then we can switch to normal plasma weaponry and come up in a pincer movement, splitting their force and destroying many of them, and causing much confusion in the process. at that point we can hunt the town for Scare himself; i sense that he is the lead-from-behind sort of general, and won't take a command position this close to the enemy: us. however, he will have to be close enough to relay commands back and forth with his forces through runners: being a ghost doesn't change battle tactics much." i pointed to an old, decrypt pay phone from a previous era. "i'll take cover there and draw their attention. i'll be protected from most attacks and will also be able to see and asses the situation as new complications arise. remember: radio contact at all times. we need to hit them at the same time." i hefted my Steyr AUG, the scope flashing briefly in the sunlight. "lets move out."

As Jack jumped down the hatch, an eerily familiar feeling brought itself upon him.
"Oh no." he said to himself, looking up at the open hole, no other means to return, as the rungs for the ladder had been rusted away.
"We've got a problem, Will." he said into his radio, "There's more here than you could imagine, and they're not moving towards you, they're moving towards the shop."
He paused to collect his thoughts before continuing. "There's no way for me to get back to the ground level, so I'm going to work my way over to the other building and send them your way like we planned. Just don't draw any more attention to yourself than you need to, or you could end up being overrun. I'm going radio-silent until I get in position. Good luck, my friend."
Jack switched off his radio and walked along the route Will had described to him in detail, being careful not to make any more noise than absolutely possible. As he reached the end of the long passageway, he heard a familiar hum, yet he couldn't place it until he got close enough to the edge of an overhanging ledge. What he found nearly made him gasp: a ghost beacon. He switched on his radio as he readied the pulse gun, aiming it in the direction of the beacon.
"I've found a ghost beacon down here, Will. It's why there's so many of them here, and why more come every minute. I know Scare's behind this, but I can't see him anywhere. I-mmmppphh!"

As Jack was about to pull the trigger, as ghost grabbed him from behind, pulling him deep into their mist before hovering him in front of his adversary, his radio still transmitting.
"Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear," Scare said with a twisted smile on his clownish face, "so here I am. Jacky, Jacky, Jacky, look how you've grown. You've got your mother's eyes and your father's chin," he added, his smile turning into a grin that literally stretched ear to ear, as he walked over beside Jack, floating with his face next to his, "wouldn't you agree, slaves?"
Jack shook his head, breaking free of the grip on his mouth. "You're no father of mine!" he screamed, rage filling his eyes, face, and words, "My father died a noble death! He was a kind and caring man! You are not him! You're nothing like him!"
"Oh, but Jacky Boy, I am, and you're just going to have to face the facts that your old man wasn't everything you thought he was." he said with a sneer. "The years of being exposed to ectoplasm and chemicals changed me, and after the explosion in the lab, it changed me for the better. You'll see," he spoke, gesturing with his long, pointed finger, "after you've had a fresh infusion of a special...potion, of my own design."

(will's theme: the Protomen, act II, Give Us The Rope & How The World Fell Under Darkness)
"Jack! jack, can you-" i stopped as i heard a tinny voice over the connection, then listened to the exchange with a growing mixture of horror and anger. when i heard him mention the... mixture... i knew that i would have to delay or stop him somehow, through any means possible. i manipulated a small control device on the side of my Omnigoggles and turned on a speaker connected to Jack's pair.
"Scare, if you can hear me, listen well. i have, attached to the barrel of my weapon, a modified M203 grenade launcher prototype. it is incredibly unstable, you know; produces a particular wavelength of electromagnetic energy that is, well, explosive. normally, it will produce globs of explosive plasma, but cross the right- or should i say wrong- wires, and ..." i yelled into the microphone. "KA-BLAM!" i took a short breath, steadying myself, then continued. "the explosion would rip through concrete, brick and steel; the entire city block would be vaporized instantly, nothing but steam, plasma and ectoplasmic remains. this explosion, due to the breach of the power supply for the weapon and being amplified by the plasma rifle that it is connected to, will extend to every dimension accessible to ectoplasmic entities. there will be no escape, no protection, no safe zone. i have a bio and GPS lock on Jack. if he moves too far, too quickly, i will breach the power core. if his vital readouts change, i will breach the power core. if you so much as BREATH too close to him, so help me god, i will breach the power core. understand?" i paused again, then continued. "send whatever you have. send all your forces. send all of your slaves. i will wipe them from existence, and then?" i laughed. "well, then i'm coming for you, you sorry sack of ectoplasmic energy.."
i shut off the connection, bringing up the weapon, making sure that it was powered up before moving toward the door, kicking it in with one foot before slinging a single plasma grenade down a hallway, listening to the screams and moans of damaged ghosts, falling apart. a large ghost flew at me from the right, howling and swiping at me with extended claws disproportionate to the rest of it's body. without hesitating, i shot it through the head, the burst of plasma ripping through the ghost like tissue paper, leaving the rest of it's body to disintegrate into nothing. the rest of the ghosts in the room got ove their momentary suprise and charged at me, but i rolled to the side and shot them through the flanks, getting many of them before they scattered away from my line of fire. i fired bursts of plasma at every shred of ectoplasmic energy in the room, bringing down all but one, hidden behind a table. i drew one of my pistols, then walked around the table and shooting it through the head, leaving it's decapitated form to crumble before moving on to the door of the room that i had originally planned for Jack to go through. i opened the door, then lobbed a grenade inside, quickly slamming the door shut in it's wake. i waited a few seconds for the plasma to dissipate, then opened the door to a scene of carnage, the remains of ghosts blasted apart by the grenade splattered all over the walls. anything that was flammable was doused in blue plasma fire, blown to the edges of the room by the concussion of the blast. i made my way through the wreckage to the maintenance door, then opened it and slipped down into the blackness below the door, leaving it open behind me.

The man walked into the office, hoping for the best. "Okay, i have been waiting in that hall for a good half hour now. Can someone explain whats going on here!?" He peeked trough the window of the head office. "What the.. there is noone?! Okay, show yourself! I just need a job okay?" The man ran in the room. "My name is Harold and i want an explination!"

Harold saw some papers on the desk. "What is this... Ahh.. i see. Jadi jadi ja... bla bla bla... Ahh legal insurence.. i see."

(Harold is your typical smarty/nerdy guy with a kind heart. Hi Camaron)

)(ooc: And that's why I'm wary of using my favorite name... Don't know if people spell it wrong on accident or on purpose... XD)(
Scare sneered as he heard the terms, then as soon as the connection was cut, he smiled as he was handed the syringe with the mixture.
"What can he do? He's just one-"
The sounds of explosions echoed throughout the room, causing Scare to jump a bit, dropping the syringe onto the floor below, yet it somehow miraculously survived the impact.
"What in the Infernal Plains of Damnation is that?!"
Jack squirmed a bit more, breaking the hold of the ghost carrying him in their surprise, landing on the syringe, the green ooze flowing into him.
Jack reached for his weapon, several feet away, before it came to his hand. Shocked and confused, he powered up his blade and fully extended it, pointing it in Scare's face.
Scare looked him in the eye with his twisted grin as he dodged Jack's next swing.
"So it begins, Jacky Boy, so it begins. You're one of us now, better live it up while you can."
Scare laughed as he flew through the wall, using his soldiers to cover his escape.
Jack laid on his back, removed the syringe, and then stared in disbelief as he looked at the green glow emanating from his chest.
"This can't be good..."
Jack held the trigger of his gun, charging a large blast of plasma that blew up the ghost beacon, decimating a large number of the ghosts that stayed behind, as well as creating a gaping hole in the wall beyond it.

Status
Not open for further replies.