DWARF FORTRESS SECESSIONISTS! ARE YOU WITH ME BROTHER DORFS?

Apparently Woodrat abdicated a month early. No worries though.

2 Obsidian 254

I've been sentenced to an Outpost, name of Gatebeach. Lovely place. Beginning to regret pissing in the Baron's Sewer Brew. How the hell was I supposed to know he'd notice? That stuff is vile.

Arrived at Gatebeach. Previous "Overlord" (Read: Inmate In Charge), a Mason by the improbable name of "Woodrat", apparently kept a detailed journal...but no storehouse reckords. You've got to be shitting me.

Did quick survey of stockpiles - we seem to be well stocked with food, other stockpiles are more confusing. Has nobody here ever heard of "organization?" Since nobody else apparently knows how to do the damn job, I'll be taking on the mantle of Bookkeeper. Furthermore appointed Dastot Leklor to the post of Chief Medical Dwarf. Our best (and only) Diagnostician is a fucking carpenter. What does that tell you?

I'll be marking out some areas for exploratory mining and arrange for some coal seams' excavation as soon as practical.

18 Obsidian 254

Have brought some semblance of order to the stockpiles. Makes my job much easier, but there is still work to be done.

Have begun excavation of additional rooms and have located a source of sand. Glassmaking and soaping should follow soonish.

26 Obsidian

Vay Struck lignite. Was looking for a coal seam....

27 Obsidian

Tekkud Kubukosur gave birth to a girl. Suspect parties will follow.

Sorry for the wait - I've had neither as much free time for DF nor as much 'net time as I'd anticipated.

11 Granite 255

Finally located that Coal seam I've been looking for. Also, Rakust Bomrekerush has created a Masterpiece.

22 Granite

Oh, for the love of Armok. More inm...er, I mean, migrants. Sorted 'em out (Mostly. There's probably a few still rattling around loose.) and put 'em to work. Our population is now 75. And we still have housing for 15.

Designated another miner. Sure, he doesn't know one end of the pick from the other, but I figure even bashing the flat bit pointlessly against the rock, he'll take some of the load off Vay and Tekkud.

28 Granite

Completed a new mess hall on the residential level. Not as pretty as the one up by the food store, but more practical.

1 Slate 255

Sigun Rulsazir the cat gave birth to kittens.

25 Slate

The windmill and millstone I ordered installed are in. Now if only we had some bags....

12 Felsite 255

Erith Anamilral has grown to become a child. On the one hand, this is good, because she will inevitably make herself somehow useful. On the other hand, I don't doubt that I will learn to LOATHE the word "why".

14 Felsite

An Elven caravan arrived. Yay?

21 Felsite

Unloaded several bins' worth of rock crafts onto the Elves. Got some valley herbs, several unusual animals, and a crapload of cloth for my trouble. Go me. Bags no longer a problem.

5 Hematite 255

Cog Abodkilrud the carpenter died from thirst. Wait, what? She wasn't injured. How could she not go get herself a goddamn drink? Bah. Now we have to dig her a stinkin' grave.

6 Hematite

Figured out how Cog Abodkilrud died from thirst. Apparently I forgot to check the floorplan of a Bowyer's Workshop before having one installed, and she walled herself in. Oops.

15 Hematite

Uzol Cugganzaneg has withdrawn from society and claimed a leatherworks. This should be interesting.

22 Hematite

Uzol Cugganzaneg unveiled his creation today...a leather bag. He named the damn thing, too - "Amem Nonshut"

1 Malachite 255

You've got to be shitting me. An Ettin. A motherfucking ETTIN. Whelp, let's seal off the fort and send out the axe fodder. Maybe they'll distract it long enough for it to get bored and wander off....

4 Malachite

After a three day running battle, Ibel Okoshidos Vakist Thikut the Ettin is dead, with no injuries (but a little grumbling) among our troops. I seem to have overestimated its threat. I almost feel sorry for the thing. Aban Luslematesh got credit for the kill.

12 Malachite

Shorast Zimkelstinthad is now officially the mayor. He has decided to celebrate this by mandating that we produce Adamantine items. What. The. Fuck. Where the FUCK are we going to get ADAMANTINE?

15 Galena 255

Human caravan showed up today. Time to start hauling the crap - err, trade goods - to the Depot.

18 Galena

Not much to report - unloaded rather a lot of crap in exchange for cloth, leather, and some foods.

18 Limestone 255

We've hit a cavern! Thankfully, we came in through the roof, so nothing'll be able to get in. We've also discovered signs of a magma pool. Once we locate the top we'll be that much closer to magma forges....

20 Limestone

Located the top of the magma pool. Unfortunately, it also resulted in a "ground" level entrance to the caverns. Ah, well. I've ordered traps installed along the entrance corridor, that'll have to do for now.

From the journal of Vay, Miner. 1st Granite, Year of Armoc 256

You know whats worse than digging right next to a magma pipe hundred of Uriks underground? Being sober...... and being in charge running a damn fortress.

Turns out I should have pulled a runner when I had the chance. The mountainhome must have really loved the poodle since when they got wind from those money grubbing overland traveling elf loving traders that I had given up my position as overseer to the first guy I could they sent a mandate for me to be locked back in the office with no booze until I signed on for another year.

So as soon as I got sober enough to realize there were 92 of us jammed into a dirty sodden hole with scant military against the titans and mega beasts bound to come looking for a snack and started learning about the worst malady ever to plague out race... the so called "hangover" I asked with a minimum of bawling for the door to be unlocked.

Unfortunately my joy as reaching the booze storage was short lived....

v2xmz4.jpg

72 Barrels and 92 Dwarves...... Armok dammit I'd have had a second drink after that news if we weren't so short of the precious resource.

So my next task was to head back to my office and search for the reconds of how we got into this dry, booze deprived mess. Well guess what. For a Armok damned broker Sacatonul... or Ric as he is called by his friends really did a great job of not keeping any records after the 22nd of limestone... when I caught up with him to ask why he mumbles something about dumping an "item" and pushed past me. If you ask me that little display explains everything.... according the the fortress broker there is no difference between a gabro ear-ring and a barrel of fine dwarven rum, they're both items.

Against my better judgment I've decided to let him keep his job, so long as he does not trade all our armor for an equal number of sand bags. Second thing I noticed was the bottom of the brook under the waterwheels wasn't deep enough and the blades were fouling on the bottom. Easy enough to sort out and the manual labor should help the alcohol flow though my veins.

That was until I passed out one and only still and saw nothing was going on.... no brewing, no barreling nothing needless to say I changed that. Also ordered the kitchen area expanded to accommodate a new still... really, having the still 5 floors above the food storage is madness, we need boose and we need it in bulk. If I'm to endure the hell of leadership I'm going to do it with a bellyful of the finest booze we can produce.

el1wmv.jpg

12th Granite

You know what they say, only idiots and hooligans join the military. Here in Gatebeach we have living proof. Found these jokers hanging out in the countryside having a powwow.

ojpnx1.jpg

When I asked what the hell they were doing outside they told me they were killing a kobold thief..... They even had a name for this imaginary thief.. Stadeenus. Poor bastards looked like they were thirsty too. Was tempted to leave they out here hunting imaginary kobolds but if a real threat comes along I'd rather have them die instead of me so I told them to head back inside.

14th Granite

First row of waterwheels for the pumpstack to the magma pipe are up and turning. I can already smell the forges working and the other tho rows are being channeled.

32znosm.jpg

I would also like to point out that Tekkud Kobukoshur, Captain of the guard, has given birth to a boy... And that I've never seen that woman in my life so Olin you can put your axe away and stop looking at me like that.

20th Granite

Today I have started work of a secret project. One that will only be detailed in my private records. My secret weapon that will silence anyone that thinks they can make me stay on as overseer.... Then again I'm beginning to enjoy ordering secret projects. I know my fellow miners will not betray it's secret until it is complete.

8th Slate

Today..... we struck admantium. Or at least saw where it penetrates the bowels of the magma aw we gazed down after Woedrat and Cerol as they fell into the depths. I will l have to cover up thier deaths as when I went to investigate I found large amounts of Woodrat's blood around the secret project and have to assume one or the other was attempting sabotage. Rakust Was also reportedly knocked off into the pipe and is lost to us as was Astesh. Looks like they got lost in the caverns.... at least thats what I tell people.

18th Slate
Here, today I am ready to turn on the pumps that were laid down by my predecessor. This will bring up the molten rock from the magma pipe to the forges.... A glorious day.

[here I'll take a break, migraine acting up]

[spoiler='forget allthis DF crashed;] 19th Slate

Now I may be a miner, and I may have been at the rum again but one thing still puzzles me. Why in Armok's name do we have THREE screwpumps in the middle of out brook? Not one, not two, but three of the things. What were the using all the iron I mined with my own sweat and tears for? I'm almost glad one of the buggers is dead.

But moving on to the business of today: Foreigners. Now I'm not talking about elves or someone we can loot but immigrants. Along with a whole petting zoo of baby animals.

Risen Kilrudcagith, Engraver (drafted as a marksdwarf as he showed some aptitude for it)
Stakub Bomrekag, Peasent (under skills he listed "swimming" and thats it.... suspected elf sympathies)
Dumat Zomkunshem, Woodcutter (brought his own axe, I'll let him do what he does best)
Meng Mislikot, Fish Disector (also a novice Swodsdwarf,equally good with a shield and armor as well as a Novice on all areas of forging)
Ushrir Vunomsodel, Brewer (finally more than one)
Urdim Dodokkizest, Woodcrafter, (also got some experience in wound dressing and mechanics)
Kadol Kikrostendok, Woodcrafter. (told his hes now a metal smith with hes "proficient" at it)
Catten Gomaththikut, Metalcrafter
Ubil Otilfeb, Best damn herbalist I've ever seen
Lor Razescaten, Miller (drafted for being a badass with a mace)
Litast Likotmafol, Gem setter (wierd guy with a wierd name)
Shorast Athelithsin, Craftsdwarf
Aban Alathuzol, Another damn metalsmith
Rigoth Tenshedosian, fishdisector weaponsmith
Endok Atisbardum, Weaponsmith, would make a good soldier too.
Erusg Velasen, Bone carver/surgeon
Iton Avuzokang, Weaponsmith.... also would make a good soldier
Cerol Noletholin, Suturer
Vulcar Avuzigath, Plater, another good candidate for the military

Two horse foals
A Donkey foal
A mule foal
Two Cow calves
Nil Elisatis, Puppy
Logem Rulbesmar
Kikrost Emathosian, Kitten

23rd Slate

Avuv Eshonoddom has given birth to a boy... and again I have never seen that woman in my life.

16th Felsite
Not much has happened carving memorial slabs for all the dwarves that have died so far...

Wait a second..... elves.....

Lets see if they bring anything usefully... guess not, seemed upset over something... heh heh heh.[/spoiler]