Do you believe in magic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing we have enough interest I'll go ahead and get to work on it. Thanks everyone for your interest.

• Love
Reactions: LunarLavendula
Oh ... Would it be too late for me to hop on and join? I've got only one active RP rolling, and I'm more than willing to dive right into this wonderful RP you're making :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Considering I have no RPs at the moment, I would also like to join. I think the idea of randomly generating abilities for players (either before or after their bio is posted) is a rather interesting idea. This forces people to work with what they have and may be a good writing exercise. Also, I like surprises.
A question though. If you're capable of magic, are you capable of learning other types of magic?

Reactions: OwlOne
Considering I have no RPs at the moment, I would also like to join. I think the idea of randomly generating abilities for players (either before or after their bio is posted) is a rather interesting idea. This forces people to work with what they have and may be a good writing exercise. Also, I like surprises.
A question though. If you're capable of magic, are you capable of learning other types of magic?
I'm not the GM but I suspect the answer will be either no, or 'only limited amounts' due to the possibility of some crazy OP shit being built.

Reactions: Kairia
I already have a type of magic in mind. It won't be spells and potions, but more like a miracle.

She can exchange her possessions into anything with equal value. for instance, if she have a diamond ring, she can miraculously change the diamond ring into a car. Or if she have a valuable book, she can change the book into a fireball. The value of things is determined by her mindset. If she find things valuable, she can change the thing into something worth the same value. But she can only change her own possession, and not someone else's possession. If she is naked, she can change her own organs into anything she deem worth the same price.

I would use this idea if it is not rejected by @OwlOne :P

• Love
That's what I plan on doing. I'm trying to do something different. As your character grows so does their magic. But it grows in a believable manner.

I already have a type of magic in mind. It won't be spells and potions, but more like a miracle.

She can exchange her possessions into anything with equal value. for instance, if she have a diamond ring, she can miraculously change the diamond ring into a car. Or if she have a valuable book, she can change the book into a fireball. The value of things is determined by her mindset. If she find things valuable, she can change the thing into something worth the same value. But she can only change her own possession, and not someone else's possession. If she is naked, she can change her own organs into anything she deem worth the same price.

Not a bad idea. This can come out later for your character. The generated magic will give you a challenge.

I feel like this can easily make a character "god" worthy. If your character can determine something's worth on her own, that's not a reliable source. Characters are constantly changing their views and opinions and something's value is extremely vague.
Is it judged monetarily? Because if so, then a diamond ring could only change into a car of the same monetary value. This makes it sound like a more supernatural version of the Price is Right. Obviously that isn't the case if you can change things into fireballs, which leads me back to my original question. How can you measure the value or worth of objects?

I'm interested in this. Seems like a lot of fun.

Am I the only one amazed by how many people have shown interest for this? It's just ... very 'wow', so many characters, and I'm already shaking with excitement for the RP.

I'm waiting for the OOC to start so I can start playing with ideas.

I feel like this can easily make a character "god" worthy. If your character can determine something's worth on her own, that's not a reliable source. Characters are constantly changing their views and opinions and something's value is extremely vague.
Is it judged monetarily? Because if so, then a diamond ring could only change into a car of the same monetary value. This makes it sound like a more supernatural version of the Price is Right. Obviously that isn't the case if you can change things into fireballs, which leads me back to my original question. How can you measure the value or worth of objects?
The value of things is up to her mindset. Unfortunately for her and fortunately for others, she is sane enough to measure the general value of things according to other people's eyes as well. Things that are dear to her would be valuable to herself, but she knows it won't be valuable to others, therefore things that she hold dear won't change into expensive matters. Unless she is a very wealthy lady, she won't be able to cast much miracles. I plan to make her a lady with little amount of assets. She can't change anything that is not hers. Therefore, she won't have enough things to change. Other people should be able to effect how she appraise things as well.

I'm thinking of going for psychokinesis or starting with energy based attacks ALA magic missile and whatnot from DnD and such.

The value of things is up to her mindset. Unfortunately for her and fortunately for others, she is sane enough to measure the general value of things according to other people's eyes as well. Things that are dear to her would be valuable to herself, but she knows it won't be valuable to others, therefore things that she hold dear won't change into expensive matters. Unless she is a very wealthy lady, she won't be able to cast much miracles. I plan to make her a lady with little amount of assets. She can't change anything that is not hers. Therefore, she won't have enough things to change. Other people should be able to effect how she appraise things as well.
I was just wondering if maybe you were trying to go for an alchemy take like in Fullmetal Alchemist, where you can change objects into a material equivalent. For example, you could change a log of wood into a boat, or make a corpse by compiling all the substances of the human body, etc. Magic usually has laws and what not to abide by. Casting spells based on opinions doesn't hold very well. You would have to explain in your writing each time you transformed something how and why it was important to you, and how that measures on the value meter. And if you transformed a diamond, let's say an heirloom that's very important to your character, into a car, that car isn't dear to your character. The diamond was, and now that diamond is gone.

I was just wondering if maybe you were trying to go for an alchemy take like in Fullmetal Alchemist, where you can change objects into a material equivalent. For example, you could change a log of wood into a boat, or make a corpse by compiling all the substances of the human body, etc. Magic usually has laws and what not to abide by. Casting spells based on opinions doesn't hold very well. You would have to explain in your writing each time you transformed something how and why it was important to you, and how that measures on the value meter. And if you transformed a diamond, let's say an heirloom that's very important to your character, into a car, that car isn't dear to your character. The diamond was, and now that diamond is gone.
No, no, not like full metal alchemist. That would require me to think of the ingredients consisting in the things I would be manipulating. That would require too much learning and headache. In full metal alchemist, they can change the shape of things without changing the ingredients by the use of sigils. The type of magic I want to use it totally different. My type of magic is not science, but miracles. My character can change one thing to another thing according to the things' money value despite the composition inside the thing.

Things that she holds dear won't have money value for other people, therefore it is not valuable in sense of money. She knows of that fact, therefore she won't be able to change her cheap dear items for something more than what they are worth.

Edit: And if she is going to change a diamond into a car, the car will have to be of the same value. If the car doesn't get destroyed in the process, she will be able to change the car back into a diamond. This situation is of course if she have a diamond. She won't have enough wealth to purchase a diamond in the first place.

And magic could have logical sense, and it could also not. It depends on what kind of world it is. I could create a logical type of magic, but I decide that for this roleplay, I want to use miracles instead of science. That is if the GM allows it. If not, then I will change the idea into something else. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmf. Everyone has amazing ideas for their type of magic and all ... are we still having our cliche or magical ability randomized? (Wish I had some kick ass ideas too :/)

• Love
Lol that's right its at random but it's up to you how you wield your magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.