Deception

It was down to Themus to respond to the other, though only after a period of awkward, almost tense, silence had passed. Lysander was evidently in no position to make more mentions of his girlfriend's ill health, already verging on some emotion-fuelled breakdown because of it, which passed the duty to Themus. He wasn't particularly fond of discussing his sister's health in front of her either, reminding her of how hopeless the situation seemed, but Neotoma had a right to know. It was just unfortunate that his curiosity had to be admitted at that present moment.

"We don't know is the simple answer. Demons don't get sick often. When we do, we often heal naturally. If our body struggles with it, I get involved and the remedies had always worked. My sister's case is unique. I... don't know what's wrong with her, so I don't know how to make her better. All I can do is... dull the pain for a few hours a day. In the grand scheme of things, I'm useless to her; I'm not helping her at all," he mumbled under his breath, his eyes locked to his plate as he contemplated walking off to compose himself, though he decided against that when glancing just once across at his sister sat opposite him.

"I'm sure we'll find something though, now you're on board. You must have some herbs from your kingdom that could help? Hope's not entirely lost yet."

"What I'm low on, I could always find more of... if I'm allowed to," he replied easily to the shocked silence and the stiffness of Imogen. Much like Themus, she didn't really like talking about her problem. For this short, weird hybrid... thing to have the audacity to comment on her so blatantly was more than shocking and even more annoying.

"Yes, well. How about you discuss that with my brother and not during our meal, huh?" She countered, her voice gruff as she adjusted her posture into something a little more comfortable. "I ought to have you punished for how rude and crass that was, really. I won't, because I'm nice, but... watch your mouth." Imogen firmly grumbled.

Lysander remained silent for the best part of five minutes, during both Themus' explanation and then Imogen's following response to it. He didn't know what to say because, in truth, he felt caught in the middle: he both understood Neotoma's position and his clear eagerness to help out, while both wanting to defend Imogen and keep the discussions of her help private, away from her. In the end, he decided not to reference the topic at all, preferring to change it altogether and hopefully move past the conflict - though did send Neotoma a smile to hopefully save him from growing too uncomfortable by the siblings' coldness towards him.

"Anyway, let's discuss my plans, shall we? Now Neotoma is aware of them, I'm eager to get him involved as soon as possible-- you are up for this, aren't you? Because the plans are detailed, nothing can afford to go wrong, so I'll need you to study them and educate yourself before I meet with my advisers and the head of my army tomorrow," he began calmly, tapping his sharp nails against the table with one hand while the other reached to hold Imogen's, affectionately bringing her knuckles to his lips to place a kiss to them - his attempt at easing her up from the brief tense moment she had been involved in.

"Obviously we'll be looking to invade Silva first. The centaurs and fairies are far too naive and trusting; they'll be pushovers. We can use their kingdom as a base to go on and take over Palus. By that point, I imagine the other two kingdoms will join in attacking us, try and protect themselves, but we have more than enough resources to protect ourselves while also having a strong enough army to take them both on. It's really not that troubling for me, Neo. It's fun, really. Now, I'm willing to allow you to give word to your family before we launch an offensive attack on Harenae, allow them to get to safety. I'm not heartless."

Neotoma's blood would have run cold at the mention of his family (if it weren't for the fact that he was already partially cold blooded). He had no idea who his father was and he hadn't seen his mother in years. The idea of going back to Harenae and facing her after escaping can into the night terrified him, more than he expected. Clicking his claws against the table anxiously, his black eyes avoided everyone at the table in brewing anxiety.

"I-I... yes, please. I would at least like to tell my mother and make sure she's safe," he eventually replied after the pounding in his ears calmed down. "It's quite a journey and I haven't seen her in years but I don't - I couldn't live with myself if she were to get hurt during the attack," he admitted with a wary smile before taking a sip of the water he requested. It smelled and tasted like sulfur but it was most likely better for him than alcohol, according to how he reacted that morning.

"We aren't doing this overnight, right?" He questioned after clearing his throat, his voice cracking. "This needs time, I need time to be able to get to Harenae."

"...Can't you just send her a letter? I'd rather not have you running off to Harenae without me, Neotoma. It's not that I don't trust you; I just don't trust anyone else. Who's to say your mother won't question you about your warning and force you to stay with her? I need you at my side, don't I? No. No, just send her a letter, I can't allow you to leave without me. Of course, I'd be willing to go with you. I want to meet her. You did say I could," he reminded with a tired smile, quickly remedying his harsh words with the offer to travel with him. He found it difficult to relate to Neotoma when it came to the issue of his mother. Demons weren't averse to parental love - many of the species had close bonds with both their mothers and fathers. Lysander clearly wasn't one of them, hence his inability to really understand the close bond Neotoma had with his mother. However, he wasn't so naive to the bond that he would sit back and allow the woman to get injured or killed when the attack came. He liked Neotoma far too much to allow that to happen to her.

"It's sweet, really. How much you clearly love her. I was never fond of my own parents. Themus and Imogen weren't either, really. We just had bad luck. I didn't even get a chance to show my parents how capable I was as King; they died at such a young age, it was unfortunate, really--"

"I thought you were planning on being honest with him? Isn't that your new thing? Honesty?-- with Neotoma at least." Themus drawled, sitting back to allow the bowl of soup to be placed in front of him, his eyes locking on the crimson mixture to avoid the inevitable glares he was being sent. He knew speaking up wasn't wise, but he could hardly help himself. Lysander had preached about being honest to Neotoma, to keep him in the loop, yet the bullshit attempt at sounding saddened by his parents' passing was unbearably hypocritical when he had been the cause of their deaths, and hadn't been at all remorseful about it. "Why don't you tell your boyfriend to stop being a hypocrite, Imogen? Honesty's so important to you too, isn't it?"

"Lysander killed his parents." Imogen stated simply, her eyes rolling under her bangs at the accusing words from her brother. "It was the only way that actual progress could be made ins this case damn kingdom. They were boring people and they were so dismissive, always saying Lysander and I didn't know what we were doing. It got worse when I got sick, I remember they would always groan on about how I... how I was wasting their resources or whatever. I don't miss them." She admitted bitterly as her shaky hands grabbed the spoon, cringing when she dropped in from the pain in her hand.

"Oh, I -... I didn't think that was the case," Neotoma replied quietly in shock as he took in the couple. "I only heard rumors about how your parents died young and how it was strange but that... I mean, your kingdom was so cut off from everyone else, I guess it's not a surprise. As for my mother, we... we aren't on best terms, or at least I wouldn't imagine we would be. If we're being honest, I left my home without telling her. Just - it's a long story, and I'd rather not bore you," he chuckled before giving the soup a sniff in curiosity.

"You're not boring me, Neotoma. I'd much rather talk about you and your mother than my relationship with my parents. I'd rather not discuss what I did to them, it's not something I enjoy, surprisingly. Unlike my girlfriend, apparently. She seems to take great pleasure in recounting the details," the King responded as he calmly -and automatically- reached to retrieve the spoon for his girlfriend, not making too much of a fuss in doing so. It took a lot not to pay too much attention to the pain she was apparently still experiencing, and subsequently, it took even more out of him to force back the urge to yell at the two men opposite him for not concocting something stronger to help ease her pain. Bringing it up, however, would only be detrimental and he knew, deep down, that they had only done the best they could - it wasn't their fault her sickness was gradually growing more unresponsive to attempts at medication.

"I'm sure she'll understand, if she loves you. That's what mothers are supposed to do, traditionally, isn't it? Forgive out of love? Like I said, I'm not an expert because I've hardly had the experience of a loving, doting mother, but-- we can visit her before I put my plans into action, get her somewhere safe before it all kicks off. You could even bring her here if you had to though I doubt she'd want to share a home with the man that is going to forcibly take over her homeland, hm? I doubt she'll be happy with me and you being friends."

"Well, ah... as you know, I'm from Harenae which is made up of almost only women and only lamias," he began after taking a sip of the soup and realizing he liked it, the earthy flavor surprising him. He wasn't a cook or anything but he knew how to make something taste good with his extensive knowledge of spices and herbs. Adjusting himself, he offered a smile to try and hide how hard it was to talk about his experiences.

"Well, it's obvious I'm not either of those two things. My mother always insisted I was born unique and everything but I know that wasn't the case. I've been to every kingdom and I've seen the the people in Silva and I think my mother might have been with an elf, hence why I'm, you know, like this." He explained, motioning to the spots of scales around his body that most lamias had and the obvious legs that they did not. "I wasn't really allowed near the females in my village and they didn't really want to be around me anyway. Meanwhile my mother would work most days for the tourist industry and I would stay home and just read. I essentially taught myself how to learn magic after a trek into the desert and... yeah. Once I was able to learn the other languages from the other kingdoms, I just left my mother a note after dinner, told her I loved her and grabbed the stuff I had packed. Then I just... you know, set out. I haven't seen her since I left, back when I was a teenager. That's it."

"...You just left like that? That's quite--"

"Courageous, I think. Brave, really. I certainly approve. If you hadn't, you wouldn't be sat here right now, would you? Clearly everything worked out wonderfully for you. You met me, after all," the King quickly interrupted, shooting Themus a sharp glare which effectively ordered him to shut up. The newcomer had already received enough negativity from Imogen; Lysander wanted to prevent him potentially receiving more from Themus and his opinions. He had no idea whether Themus had planned to speak badly about him, but he couldn't take that chance. He barely knew Neotoma really, but he still felt inclined to defend him; there was something about him that he felt naturally protective of, even if he could only protect him from a few negative comments right now.

"Anyway," he continued slowly, dabbing lightly at his lips with a napkin. "I'd be honoured to head to Harenae and meet her with you. We'll go in secret, of course. But I'd be glad to do that with you, for moral support if anything. You're helping me out so much, it's the least I can do."

"I couldn't go with you." Commented Imogen from beside the other as she tried again to take a sip of the soup. Successfully managing to get it into her mouth, she forced back a proud smile from such a simple action. "It's too far of a journey for me, Lysander. I... I wouldn't be able to handle that much travel, not in the state I was in. If that's no problem to you, then go ahead. Just know I can't come." She reminded quietly, taking another sip only to set the spoon down to give herself a break.

"We wouldn't be there very long," reassured Neotoma after hungrily gulping down the bowl of soup once deciding it was tasty. "Though perhaps you shouldn't, not in the state you're in. I don't mean to be nosy and have an opinion but-"

"Exactly, you shouldn't have an opinion. Until you start trying to actually help me, I'm not going to listen to what you have to say. You just talk, nothing valuable actually comes out of your mouth," Imogen quickly replied, a grimace on her lips. Sure, there might have been a bit of loss in translation as to why Neotoma's response seemed to be somewhat careless but it didn't matter to Imogen. It was a conversation she hated to have with Lysander so to have it with a stranger only made her cheeks grow red.

The constant tension that was created from Imogen's snapped remarks was exhausting, though he couldn't blame her entirely for it - Neotoma was hardly helping himself by failing to realise that his opinions weren't going to be listened to or respected by the woman he was apparently eager to help. All it did was anger her and create and exacerbate the tension Lysander was evidently eager to abandon. When it started up again, he slumped further in his chair, his head rested on his hand as the other dipped the spoon in his soup, despite having lost his appetite after the quarrelling.

"...I don't want to lose my temper, but I will if this proceeds any longer. Neotoma, just stop piping up; she doesn't want to hear it. I understand you're trying to help, and for what it's worth, I agree completely with you. It's just a conversation I know Imogen prefers to have with me alone, and even then it's not... easy. It's not a topic to discuss openly at the dinner table," he finally mumbled, his tone calm, as was his expression. As annoyed as he might have been, he didn't need Neotoma suddenly scared of him again.

"You don't need to come with us, it won't be for too long. Besides, it won't happen for a little while. I don't plan on initiating the attacks just yet. Maybe you'll get better before then? It might happen, Imogen," he continued as he turned his attention to the woman at his side. "You can come to Palus with me, though. It's not as far as Harenae. And I need you there, for support."

"I can come to Palus, yes," she murmured, her temper ebbing quickly, mostly from exhaustion. "I'd like to see it all. It's exciting, really. I never would have even dreamt of seeing anything outside of our kingdom, not in my life time. While I know we're going to decimate the other kingdoms, I would at least like to know about their culture and everything."

"Its very beautiful," reassured Neotoma after a pause, his hands nervously fiddling with the spoon in an attempt to redeem himself. He then grew quiet when the energy seemed to insist he do so, immediately feeling guilty for speaking at all.

"Beautiful? Have you been at the wine again? I've seen paintings of Palus; it's an absolute dump of a Kingdom. There's mud everywhere; it's all swamps and humid weather, from what I've managed to read. I can't imagine it being beautiful. It's a land occupied solely by orcs, isn't it? I doubt they have high standards when it comes to beauty, so I suppose it makes sense that they live in a dump," the man replied with a wide grin. After all, no kingdom, in his mind, would ever come close to Ignis; his land was perfection, and all others paled in comparison. Any opportunity he had to badmouth them, he was naturally going to take.

As Lysander offered one more smile and turned back to Imogen, presumably focused on showering her with as much affection as she could now she was out of bed, Themus glanced briefly to his side to examine Neotoma, slowly and carefully, for several seconds.

"...I apologise for my sister's behaviour. Her health is a touchy subject but her behaviour towards you tonight is deplorable," he began in a hushed whisper, his expression remaining neutral. "I do hope you're not that upset? I was hoping to work on some remedies after dinner with you. It'll please my sister and Lysander if we get to work as soon as possible."

"It's... fine," he countered in a murmur, though his frown and slumped posture said otherwise. He could lie about facts but he could never lie about his emotions, at least not very well. He never really had to before, not until finding semi-permanent residence in Pruina. Before that, he only really ever interacted with people in passing and there was no point in lying to a stranger.

"That would be nice, yeah. Working on the potion, I mean," he continued after trying tio be aware of his attitude. "I'm sorry - I just... Maybe I'm not saying the right things. My grasp on your language isn't as strong as others because I've had such little interaction and - I'm sorry."

"Imogen's not the most... tactful of people. Besides, she's in pain; she's irritable and, while I don't to excuse her behaviour, I can at least attempt to explain it. She's not usually this... aggravated. I don't know. Don't hold this against her, she's not a bad person. I just think moodiness runs in our family; I'm hardly a ray of sunshine, am I?" The physician murmured in an attempt at a joke, smiling to himself when he recognised why he didn't do that often - he was hardly the best at it.

"Are you both even listening? I'm talking to you," interrupted Lysander with a dramatic sigh, pouring more wine into his glass with a playful frown. "I said that you'd better thin of a way to make Imogen better soon because I've decided, right now in fact, that I'd quite like an heir soon-- and obviously I'm only going to be with Imogen for something that important. Honestly, I just think it'd be hilarious to see Aloria's face at a future meeting when I announce the news; she's so desperate for an heir, I just think I'd enjoy getting one before she does. So work on that potion, alright? I can't do this with anyone but Imogen, so... just give it your best shot, guys."

"Listen, I'm not deaf," added Imogen with a deep sigh, eating only half of the soup being a genuine effort. "I'm... sorry. I don't mean to put you down, Neotoma, you don't deserve this. I'm just shocked that Lysander is risking so much for this, y'know?" She explained quietly before offering an apologetic smile. Leaning a bit on her arm, she held her forehead when the headache returned.

"I - I understand," reassures Neotoma with his own awkward smile. It was half true, what with the language barrier and his general misunderstanding of Imogen's pain. He prided in himself for being an empath but it wasn't necessarily true, as was evident. "I promise we'll work our hardest, of course."

"Yes, well, I'm trying my best to have a conversation that doesn't revolve around your health, Imogen, but everything seems to go back to it at some point, unfortunately. But I won't mention it if it upsets you; I just thought you'd prefer us to talk about it in front of you, rather than behind your back in hushed whispers," her boyfriend replied, shrugging to himself as he returned to his food.

"There's no need to talk about it behind my back but it upsets me, obviously. You're going to try and get this outsider to somehow make everything better when you know that its a low possibility," she tried to explain in clear exhaustion. She loved Lysander for his ridiculous optimism and his commanding force but Imogen was more than stubborn and cynical, especially as she grew older and sicker.

"Is there any more food, or is it just soup today?" She continued, finally ready to at least sort of move on. "I... could manage something else. Something small but I need the protein. Maybe a nice cup of tea as well, letting my stomach set afterwards."

Reactions: potassiumboron
Lysander could have easily leapt into another argument about the way his girlfriend was speaking and the terms she chose to use - he didn't think 'outsider' was particularly appropriate, at least it wasn't now he had integrated Neotoma into his inner circle and regarded him as a valuable player in his plans. He was as involved as anyone, and 'othering' him wasn't, in his eyes, an appropriate way to treat someone who had valuable information to help him, and could possibly uncover a way to treat Imogen.

However, he was wise enough not to head down that path and debate everyone sat at the table, choosing to sit silently. His jaw clenched and his hands briefly curled into fists, but the wave of anger came and went without too much notice.

"You can ask for whatever you want, you know that. The staff aren't in a position to say no to you. I won't accept those sorts of excuses from them. If you want something, they're just going to have to honour that," he smiled tiredly from her side, resting his head on his hand as the other held his spoon, circling it in the now cold, mostly untouched soup, his appetite having clearly abandoned him over the course of the tense discussions and bickering. "I'm just going to go and get some work done, I think-- but you all finish your meals, don't stop on my account. You're all welcome to sit at this table without my presence, I'm not a stickler for stupid rules."

"I can come with you, if you like," offered Imogen, her apologetic smile still plastered as she watched her boyfriend's unsubtle frustration. "I haven't seen you work in so long, it's fun to see my Lysander being all tough and demanding, eh? I remember when you'd cry if you didn't get extra dessert when you were younger and now you're in charge of everything. I want to experience that first hand." She insisted firmly.

"I don't need to eat, I'm not really hungry anyway," she admitted, her eyes avoiding Themus and Neotoma's in embarrassment. "I just want to spend some time with you, is all. I'll even let you carry me, hm?"