Darkened Skies; Dead Mans Trigger

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing fancy like something that will talk back to you, no.

You know, there are 7 or so player characters of this squad, plus the NPCs...
But I don't control them, do I? I can't have a nice little back and forth to add flavour to my writing. If I want dialogue, I have to collab. and even then, it doesn't take much for a dialogue to then stall out and crash an RP into the ground. Trust me on this.

I am in a collab atm. I see no problem. It is only a problem if you let it become a problem. I have dedicated players, who are more thne happy to collab it seems. Sorry. But there is not talketive AI. It does not mesh with the setting.

And yes. I am sorry that It apperently saps the enjoyment from the rp. But secondguessing me in the OOC is not really neccary or polite. COuld have taken that to a PM.

I am in a collab atm. I see no problem. It is only a problem if you let it become a problem. I have dedicated players, who are more thne happy to collab it seems. Sorry. But there is not talketive AI. It does not mesh with the setting.
Alright. Obviously I would disagree, but it is your roleplay... I can handle the disappointment. And again, I know what I enjoy and am good at in writing. Collabs just don't have the same sense of flow as me writing a dialogue myself. I prefer the option of not having to mix two writing styles and spending all day if I want a bit of dialogue, but you said no, it's fine.

Actually. Let me adress the issue in more depth, becouse it irks me that one of my players are publically saying it doesn't make sense in a setting i created.

One. Most of the world got fucked over hard. AI today is about as advanced as to being input, and simple output. To reach the kind of AI where you can have a multibranch, completely and utterly sporadic coversation is so far off it hurts. Now add the afformentioned world getting the shaft. YOu now have a industrial complex in shambles. Reserouces will be put in things that can save us; weapons and shelter and defence in general. The kind of programming you need to dedicate years for to make AI that complex, is not on priority list. What people will want is targetting systems, logistics models.

Oh. The places who were the cutting edge in intelligent robotics, such as Japan? They got pulverized. Japan was only retaken 6 years prior to IC. Where and when would they decide "Lets make a AI we can talk to".

There is then the problem of sitting in a mech, with eldricht strange alloys. Alloys that are semi-sentient and reacts to neural input. Metals that will drive you mad from prolonged exposure. MEchs that move far to smooth for something so big, becouse of said metals connection to its pilots mind. A AI would be distracting. It would not be able to affect the strange metal the way a human can. It has no purpose.

ALso, This is a group rp. I assume you joined becouse you wanted the interactions with others. COllabs are the pinnacle of that.

Actually. Let me adress the issue in more depth, becouse it irks me that one of my players are publically saying it doesn't make sense in a setting i created.

One. Most of the world got fucked over hard. AI today is about as advanced as to being input, and simple output. To reach the kind of AI where you can have a multibranch, completely and utterly sporadic coversation is so far off it hurts. Now add the afformentioned world getting the shaft. YOu now have a industrial complex in shambles. Reserouces will be put in things that can save us; weapons and shelter and defence in general. The kind of programming you need to dedicate years for to make AI that complex, is not on priority list. What people will want is targetting systems, logistics models.

Oh. The places who were the cutting edge in intelligent robotics, such as Japan? They got pulverized. Japan was only retaken 6 years prior to IC. Where and when would they decide "Lets make a AI we can talk to".

There is then the problem of sitting in a mech, with eldricht strange alloys. Alloys that are semi-sentient and reacts to neural input. Metals that will drive you mad from prolonged exposure. MEchs that move far to smooth for something so big, becouse of said metals connection to its pilots mind. A AI would be distracting. It would not be able to affect the strange metal the way a human can. It has no purpose.

ALso, This is a group rp. I assume you joined becouse you wanted the interactions with others. COllabs are the pinnacle of that.
Okay. Thanks for explaining in further. Again, I disagree, but it is your roleplay, and I respect your decision. So now we can drop the conversation. Its over. No AI.

And yes, I was looking for character interaction, but I also enjoy being able to have a couple of characters react and write for them. It makes writing fiction fun. If we were all in a Skype call playing a pen and paper game, I wouldn't feel the need, but with how slowly it can take for people to respond to pms, writing lengthy and well constructed dialogues can get infuriating. When it works out, it is amazing, but a lot of the time it causes me a lot of frustration. And since I don't control any NPCs or any other characters i HAVE to go to collab if I want ANY dialogue. That kind of sucks. So in short, yes I really do want interactions with others, but I also want to do what I personally enjoy in writing, which is dialogues, which without someone I control in the story I can only get through dialogue which I can only get with other players. This means that either my writing just doesn't have as much dialogue as I want it to, or I have to spend the whole day working with another player and constantly collaborating which will no doubt become annoying for both sides.

So again, no smart computer for the purposes of dialogues?
Maybe your einbrium exposure from your armor makes you hallucinate that it's sentient. :P
EDIT: I originally thought of that as a joke, but it may actually be a perfect middle ground: it doesn't break canon and it gives you a conversation partner for RP purposes. @Hellis whaddya think?

I've actually been in different tanks and my brother is a tank operator xD.
That is cool and I am jelly.

Maybe your einbrium exposure from your armor makes you hallucinate that it's sentient. :P

That is cool and I am jelly.
Holy shit.... Could I just be insane? I mean, he has been piloting this thing for years that would definitely be long enough for him to start going completely bonkers.... Could this be the answer? I mean, it makes sense, would be really fun for me, and hopefully for you guys to read, and I could do it in a way that would make sense in a way that it would'nt give him any more information than anything he actually knew... I'm going to go with that. Now I can keep all of my post.

Last edited:
You could also take a page out of Illium's book and try hijacking a character for the purpose of smoothing out dialogue.

@Goldmarble I was thinking of having my mech start farther away from the group as her weapon has the range to make the shot easily from a mile away (as long as you guys are marking targets), and having something break the sound barrier right next to your ground troops isn't very nice.

You could also take a page out of Illium's book and try hijacking a character for the purpose of smoothing out dialogue.

@Goldmarble I was thinking of having my mech start farther away from the group as her weapon has the range to make the shot easily from a mile away (as long as you guys are marking targets), and having something break the sound barrier right next to your ground troops isn't very nice.
So, it would be likely she was dropped off further away, because I doubt it walked by itself.

Well it technically could but yes, I was thinking of having her dropped further back. Also having a 19 foot mech standing around is not great for stealth.

Well it technically could but yes, I was thinking of having her dropped further back. Also having a 19 foot mech standing around is not great for stealth.
I was thinking that if it had anything in the neighborhood of modern tank fuel efficiency, probably not without refueling. And we are bringing heavy armor, there is not much stealthy about us. XD

They've started making diesel hybrid military vehicles recently. Great for getting into and out of those sneaky peaky OP's. Regardless if you can't get 500km out of a single tank of fuel that's pretty saddening. Especially consider tanks have absurdly large fuel tanks and Warsaw tanks carry fuel containers on the outside that would keep my car running until the end of its days. All that being said, maybe the mechs are solar powered. *shrugs*

They've started making diesel hybrid military vehicles recently. Great for getting into and out of those sneaky peaky OP's. Regardless if you can't get 500km out of a single tank of fuel that's pretty saddening. Especially consider tanks have absurdly large fuel tanks and Warsaw tanks carry fuel containers on the outside that would keep my car running until the end of its days. All that being said, maybe the mechs are solar powered. *shrugs*
I wouldn't think they would be solar powered, and maybe fuel efficiency isn't a big problem, but I think the Hades is a very slow machine. I don't think it would keep up with the troop transport at the very least.

Well all considering (I will concede to Hellis on the final verdict) the tech might have developed far enough to allow for a compact fusion or nuclear based engine. Especially for the Hades, a railgun would drain so much power that a standard fossil fuel engine would be not a good option.

And on the topic of fossil fuels since to much of the world has been destroyed it would have been paramount to develop engines that don't consume them as to produce gas and diesel you need to drill for the raw oil, ship it to a refinery, go through the process of refining, and then ship it to where it needs to actually be.

Well all considering (I will concede to Hellis on the final verdict) the tech might have developed far enough to allow for a compact fusion or nuclear based engine. Especially for the Hades, a railgun would drain so much power that a standard fossil fuel engine would be not a good option.

And on the topic of fossil fuels since to much of the world has been destroyed it would have been paramount to develop engines that don't consume them as to produce gas and diesel you need to drill for the raw oil, ship it to a refinery, go through the process of refining, and then ship it to where it needs to actually be.
Honestly, I don't agree with idea that we don't have much a industrial complex... *Coughcoughmassivefuckoffmechsaren'teasytoproducewithoutindustrycoughcoughcough* But I do think that something about compact nuclear engines was already said.

Well maybe but there still are problems with relying on oil. I will wait for Hellis to be the final word on this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.