Dark Fever

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ivan nodded. "Yeah, sometimes. I mean, most of the time they behave like you or I do, as I am sure you know, but there is always that underlining..." He seemed to fish for the word and Amy chuckled, providing it. "Wildness. Misumi, for example, is very territorial and she tends to have a short fuse. That's her wolf in her. Beth, though, is far more patient, but she's intense, focused. She can be vicious if pushed too hard. That's the falcon side of her. Gabriel...seems very in tune with his animal side. He's a cat, right?"

The dark-skinned man nodded for Cassandra and Amy really didn't need confirmation before going on. "He's restless, always seeking some form of contact, frequently needs to be doing something one minute and then completely relaxed and lethargic another, yes? Well, that is what happens to AI who live with people like us and don't experience interactions with their own kind. They subconsciously try to suppress what makes others wary of them. Beth and Misumi have it easier, a balance. They have maintained their human side while at the same time they are free and encouraged to express their animal side if they need to."

"That's what they're going to help Gabriel do now. He really will be much more like the man you know when he comes back." Amy's eyes narrowed a little, shrewd. "But then, that is not what you are concerned about, is it?"

--------------------

Katrina had known his silence wouldn't last long - that just wasn't Colton in the least - and she smiled faintly when he stopped, his hand brushing through her hair. She leaned against the wall behind her, not minding that she had limited escape options now and she met the man's hazel eyes calmly. "I'm all right, Colton. I think that...it's a lot to process and that I need to handle it one step at a time. I am glad that I now know how to begin controlling my power, too." she admitted.

Thinking over his last comment, she shook her head and brushed her hair behind her ear. It really needed to be brushed and maybe put up.

"I'm not going to change my mind, Colt. I...am scared, but I know I can do this and....I don't WANT to be parted from everyone. My place is with you guys."

Cassandra listened closely to Ivan and Amy and even though nothing they said really eliminated her concerns, they didn't provoke them either, and she relaxed a little. That is, until Amy's last question. Cassandra blinked, caught off guard, and forced a smile at the woman.

"I'm just concerned about Gabriel's safety, that's all. I'm not used to being apart from him."

It was a lie and Cassandra felt guilty for saying it, but there was no way she was going to admit how she really felt. She had obviously failed at concealing her worry, so she might as well admit that she was on edge, but she would never reveal the real reason why she was so concerned. It was petty and embarrassing and definitely NOT something she wanted others to know about, especially Gabriel.

-------

Colton was quiet for a few seconds, his eyes searching Katrina's blue-steel ones before he relented. Sighing lightly, he nodded and leaned in, giving Katrina a quick kiss on the head.

"If you say so." A thought crossed his mind then and Colton frowned a little. "Maybe we should go check on Cassandra."

Now that he knew Katrina was okay, Colton's mind drifted to his sister. He wondered why Malia suggested they visit her, especially since she and Gabriel never separated and usually Gabriel was enough to take care of whatever Cassandra needed. Why that was no longer the case was something Colton wanted to find out.

Katrina frowned at his words, but it wasn't in disapproval but rather worry. He was right, they should check on Cassandra. Her thoughts ran the same rails that Colton's had as they walked and the small brunette spoke out loud. "I hope nothing's wrong. Do you think they fought?" She'd never seen Cassandra and Gabriel fight, but hey, it could happen right? Not really expecting an answer, the two followed the faint, faded signs that led to the atrium and Katrina brightened a little to see Cassandra.

She completely ignored the other people who looked over at them, surging ahead of Colton to greet the other female in her pack. Even as she ran over, Amy was humming her answer to Cassandra, but it was clear she didn't believe the black-haired woman and Ivan elbowed her, directing her attention to the approaching figure.

Katrina smiled at the two of them, but her attention was for Cassandra as she wrapped her arms around the taller woman's shoulders and neck, her chin coming to rest on Cassandra's shoulder. "So, what's going on? Where's Gabriel? Did he upset you, cause I swear if he did, I'll throw him through a wall for you, Cass. Promise." It was only half in teasing.

----------

They'd led him down to the streets and a few blocks away from the hospital. They were still in the Safe Zone and yet, Beth and Misumi still kept alert and Gabriel did as well, but oddly enough, he was far more relaxed than they were and he found they kept passing him puzzled expressions. Nothing was said, though, and it seemed they really didn't need human words to convey intents. So when Misumi suddenly shifted, her form springing into that of a great timber wolf, nearly the size of his jaguar form and Beth launched herself into the air, her falcon form at least the size of three of the same kind of bird put together, Gabriel wasn't startled and his own transformation followed soon after.

The wolf and the jaguar slowly circled each other, sniffing, studying. They were two entirely separate species, but somehow that didn't register. The only thing that bothered them at the moment was the question of who was going to lead this hunt and it was decided with a few growls and snarls. Gabriel led the way through the streets, loping at first, but it wasn't long before he was flying through the streets, leaping cars and bounding off building walls. His strength and speed was far greater than a normal cat's and Misumi's wolf form was the same, keeping up with him without problem.

Beth was their eyes and it was she who spotted the herd of deer first. With a screech, she led them and Gabriel gave himself over into the hunt and the thrilling adrenaline of it, the sense of freedom that came with using every muscle in his body to its fullest, the wildness of his blood surging through his veins and the weightlessness of having no responsibility.

He was allowed to simply BE without consequences or the need to retain some of his humanity lest he hurt someone and it was like nothing he'd ever experienced.

Colton followed Katrina to the atrium and even though he was eager to help Cassandra, he took the time to linger behind a little, his eyes scanning everyone at the tables. He was quite accustomed to Katrina drawing the eyes of men and it had long since become a habit to check out a group upon arrival to ensure nobody took too much of an interest in the brunette.

Cassandra looked up, pleasantly surprised to see Katrina and she smiled, hugging her back. Even as it warmed her heart to know Katrina was looking out for her, Cassandra was also confused as to how the other female had known something was wrong.

"Nothing's going on! Gabriel is out with a few friends, that's all."

Cassandra had answered dismissively but now her tone turned slightly more prying, even as she tried to sound nonchalant. "So um... what are you two doing here?" More precisely, Cassandra wanted to know just how Katrina knew that something was going on between her and Gabriel.

Katrina arched a brow, giving Cassandra a look even as she detangled herself from the other woman and plopped into the seat Gabriel had vacated. "Friends? Since when does Gabe make friends in the course of a few hours and then leave you to run off and play?" The clear disbelief in the brunette's voice was crystal clear and her blue-steel eyes narrowed, looking toward Amy and Ivan. Well, if Cassandra wasn't going spill...

"Did they fight?"

Amy blinked and then laughed, shaking her head, but Ivan only smiled, seeming a bit lost for words in Katrina's presence and the small woman decided to ignore him as useless for the moment as she focused on Amy. "Well?"

"No, they didn't fight. Gabriel went hunting with two Animalis Infected; Misumi and Beth."

Katrina looked thoughtful at that and she looked back at Cassandra, finally answering her friend's question. "The Seer told us to come. Are you okay with all this?" Katrina was much more observant than she often let on and she was fully prepared to take Cassandra aside, just they two and talk to the woman if her pack-sister's answer was less than satisfactory.

------------

The jaguar didn't really pay it much mind when they passed the boundaries of the Safe Zone and while the wolf and the falcon seemed to grow a bit more wary about it, cautious, they followed. The three hunters pursued only one deer now as they ran through the streets and Gabriel was ahead of Misumi by a few lengths. So it was that when the deer suddenly sprinted into a parking garage, into the shadows, there was no one to stop the jaguar from following.

The wolf gave a warning, startled howl as she stopped abruptly beyond the shadows and the falcon screeched with fear, her strong wings stilling her, keeping her hovering above the wolf as they both looked into the dark garage with a very human-like horror.

Gabriel heard their alarm clearly and it stopped him in his tracks, his sides heaving and his senses flooding with information. It was dark around him and the deer was long gone, but something...no, many things, were moving in the dark and he smelled blood. That wasn't all he smelled, though. That cloying, putrid smell overwhelmed his nose and it took everything in Gabriel to remain still, to not start spitting, hissing and growling.

He was several yards from the exit, from the sunlight that would provide safety and the large cat started moving very slowly toward it. He knew very well that he wasn't going to make it without being attacked. It was only a matter of how close he could get to salvation before that happened.

Last edited:
Cassandra was both confused and a little concerned at Katrina's words - the Seer had asked them to come? D***, Cassandra could hide her feelings from most but it was impossible to hide anything from Malia. Still though, that didn't mean Katrina couldn't be swayed... With that in mind, Cassandra forced a smile at the brunette.

"Of course I'm okay with it. It's good for Gabe to spend time with other Animalis Infected every once in a while. Why wouldn't I be okay with that?"

Cassandra's blue eyes wandered quickly then, seeking a distraction. When she saw Colton glaring daggers at Ivan, merely for looking at Katrina, Cassandra smiled faintly. She turned her attention back to Katrina, lowering her voice so the others couldn't hear.

"Perhaps we should get out of here before Colt starts a fight."

Oh, that was not satisfactory at all. Katrina's blue-steel eyes narrowed, but she couldn't help smiling faintly with Cassandra when she glanced at Colton. He was so cute in his fierce protection and she loved him all the more for it. The brunette sighed though and rolled her eyes, looking at Ivan and Amy with a smile as she stood. She grabbed Colton's shirt, pulling at him and her voice was cheerful, much too cheerful. "Sorry, but I'm gonna hafta steal Cass for a little bit. It was nice meeting all of you."

She'd effectively gotten Colton to his feet, her slight frame nothing to be trifled with as she gave him a look that clearly said 'behave'. Katrina took Cassandra's hand then, confident as she headed straight out of the atrium, starting to speak when they got toward the door. "All right, spill. You're not happy. Don't think you can smile and I'll assume everything is sunshine and rainbows, Cassandra."

Yeah, Katrina was a bit on edge after being with Malia - not unhappy or stressed, just a little high-strung and in need of a distraction. And Cassandra being unhappy was a perfect distraction.

-------------

Gabriel sensed the first attack before it came. The mutants had been growing closer, louder and the jaguar surged ahead when he felt one latch on to his shoulders. He shook the creature off and raced for the sunlight, adrenaline and anger with small traces of fear surging through his blood. He roared in pain as he was knocked off his feet, teeth tearing into his side and the back of his neck, two mutants having jumped him this time.

The jaguar struggled, furious and his claws and fangs lashed out with lethal intent. The sunlight, safety was only a few yards away and Gabriel was desperate to reach it. His power was activating now, the black glow dropping mutants left and right when they came in contact with him, but this was a hive and there were too many for him to face alone. He fought his way another yard, blood pouring from his fur now and that's when he felt a mutant being ripped off of him and a savage snarl, a wolf's snarl came to his ears. Misumi was at his side now, her deadly, snapping teeth aiding his own.

Together they battled their way to the sunlight and both feline and canine burst into the day at the same time, leaving shrieking mutants in their wake.

Misumi panted, a few gashes and bites on her body, but she looked nothing like Gabriel who was bleeding profusely and weaving on his feet. The black glow could barely be seen over his black and red fur, but it was healing the minor injuries and keeping him from bleeding out with the larger ones. It couldn't do what it needed to, though; heal him completely because Gabriel was now exhausted. The wolf came toward him, nuzzling with worry at his side and the jaguar hissed at her in pain, trying to limp a few steps before stopping, his body shaking.

Colton was a little startled when Katrina took hold of his shirt but he didn't resist the small woman as she pulled him up. He met Katrina's look with his own - one that clearly showed he was less than pleased with the current situation. Still, Colton relented and glanced back at Ivan only once more before following Katrina and Cassandra out of the atrium.

Cassandra knew Katrina had seen through her ruse and even though she was reluctant to follow the female, she wasn't given much of a choice as Katrina took her hand and led her outside. Once out of hearing range of the others, Cassandra sighed lightly, silent for a few seconds as she tried to decide what to do; Katrina already knew something was wrong and denying it further wouldn't get anywhere. Still, Cassandra was ashamed that she felt threatened at all by the two female AI.

"...I just...I'm worried for Gabriel, that's all. I'm not used to separating from him."

Okay, that wasn't the whole truth, but at least Cassandra was finally starting to admit that something was wrong, even if the reason was a much larger one than that.

Katrina snorted, crossing her arms once they were out in the hall and she raised a brow. She was a stick of dynamite, just waiting to explode into purpose as she studied Cassandra, not believing her for a moment. "Strike one. You've been separated from Gabriel before. You don't LIKE it, but I highly doubt Malia would have sent us here just because you were antsy about Gabriel, someone who can clearly take care of himself when it comes to danger. Now...what's really wrong?"

The small brunette actually thought MAYBE she had some idea, but she wasn't about to just ask at this point. Instead she turned her eyes to Colton, pointing at his sister. "You're her brother. Help me!" she chided, focused like a hound on a particular scent.

Something was wrong with her pack-sister and she wanted to know what it was. Simple as that. And if it was Gabriel's fault, she wouldn't hesitate to let him have a piece of her mind.

------------

Gabriel had to shift back. His front leg was badly damaged and he couldn't walk on it and the longer he stayed in his jaguar form, the more risk there was that he'd pass out in that form and then it would be harder to move him. The male changed back slowly, gritting his teeth at the pain that spread like rippling fire over his body and he cradled his torn and mangled arm when he was finally human again.

Stars, Cassandra was going to kill him.

Dark amber eyes blinked hazily up at the large wolf before him and the blond struggled his way to his feet, shaking with the effort it took to climb on the canine's back and hold on. Misumi looked back at him in worry and Gabriel attempted a smile. "I'll be fine." he whispered and she growled, unconvinced before taking off down the street, back toward the Safe Zone and the hospital. Beth was already flying ahead with a screech, intent on reaching the building first and getting help.

Neither woman was looking forward to facing Cassandra...

Cassandra frowned slightly when Katrina once again saw past her fibs and she shifted uncomfortably, automatically trying to reach for another excuse to explain herself.

Colton blinked, a little surprised that Katrina had asked for his help. He had only been half paying attention, assuming the problem was between the two girls and he hadn't exactly wanted to get involved with that. At Katrina's request though, he forced himself to pay attention, reviewing the details he had learned from Cassandra's earlier answers to the brunette's questions.

"...You said he's with two AI right? Two girls? Come on, Cass. You're jealous."

Cassandra's blue eyes darted to her brother, wide with shock before narrowing in irritation. "I am not! I trust Gabriel."

Colton snorted. "Then why are you worried?"

"For the same reason why you stare down anyone that so much even glances at Katrina," Cassandra retorted, crossing her arms.

Colton blinked. "...That's different," he mumbled, but let the subject drop as he tore his gaze away from his sister and ran a hand through his hair self-consciously.

By then though, Cassandra had already effectively admitted her reasons for being upset and she drew in a deep breath before turning her attention back to Katrina, finally deciding to open up entirely.

"Before now, Gabe has never been around female AI who didn't try to kill him. I guess...I'm sort of envious that those two will be able to connect with him in a way that I'll never be able to."

Katrina listened carefully to the two siblings and when Cassandra finally, truly admitted what was wrong, Katrina smiled softly and she reached out, taking Cassandra's hands in a firm grasp. "Cass, Gabriel loves YOU. His instinct drew him to YOU, not some AI woman. YOU are what he needs. YOU complete him and no one else could, no matter how they might be able to relate to him. I see the way he looks at you, the way you look at him. I know you love each other and nothing is going to come between that, especially not two strangers; AI or not."

The small brunette shrugged her shoulders, grinning. "Come on, it's not like he's going to find anyone as amazing as you are, anyway. You have nothing to worry about!"

Even as she spoke, Katrina heard a bird's screech from the broken windows and she jumped, startled. Some glass exploded outward with her surge of adrenaline and she groaned, looking sheepishly at Colton. "Sorry."

Katrina didn't get long to focus on her remorse, however, as said bird came hurtling in through a floor-length broken window on the walkway and started to shift even a she landed. The brunette was dressed only in torn shorts and what could have been a bra when she came back to her human form, but at least she was dressed and she didn't seem to care about her state of clothing as her eyes caught sight of Cassandra. Worry, caution flickered in her gaze before she approached the black-haired woman as a submissive would, clearly acknowledging Cassandra's status.

"It's Gabriel. He was attacked." She didn't waste time trying to explain, already backing away, intending to lead them to the male. "Come. Hurry."

Katrina cursed under her breath, looking at Cassandra and following after her pack-sister. She glanced at Colton, voice low. "When I said nothing to worry about...I didn't mean that as a challenge!"

----

Misumi skid to a halt inside the main entrance of the hospital and the great wolf looked back at her burden with a low whine of true worry. Her fur was now matted with Gabriel's blood and her own and if she'd been willing to be subject to him before, she was now completely submissive to his will as his life-liquid flowed through her body, entering her through her wounds. The blond was still lucid - barely - and he tumbled from her back when she lowered her body.

The asian shifted back quickly then, her attire the same as Beth's and she looked over Gabriel's body with something like panic. What was she supposed to DO!? Oh, stars, Malia had said nothing of this! What if he died?!

"Gabriel! Gabriel, you have to try and heal! You have to!"

The blond only moaned with pain as she unwittingly shook him and his eyes threatened to shut. He'd used too much power too soon and he'd lost too much blood to even be able focus properly, the world spinning.

He just wanted to sleep...

Last edited:
Despite expecting otherwise, Katrina's reassurances successfully managed to relax Cassandra. The small brunette was so fervently confident in Gabriel's love for her that Cassandra found herself smiling at the end, grateful for Katrina's intervention. She opened her mouth to thank the other female but the shattering of glass ripped her thoughts away and Cassandra's blue eyes darted to Beth as the woman transformed.

Beth's words made Cassandra's stomach twist and she hurried to follow the woman, not bothering to check to see if Katrina and Colton were following.

Colton frowned slightly and followed after Cassandra, gently touching Katrina's back in reassurance. "I'm sure he'll be fine. Can't his power heal him?" Colton wasn't quite as certain as his tone let on though; after all, why would Beth bother to get them at all if Gabriel could merely heal himself? He didn't want to say that out loud though, at least not while Cassandra was there.

As soon as they entered the hospital and Gabriel was in view, Cassandra tore away from the others and broke into a run. She dropped to her knees beside Gabriel, her eyes wide as she looked at the wounds that covered his body. Her eyes darted to Misumi then and Cassandra couldn't hide the snap in her tone, clearly frustrated that the two female AI were not able to prevent Gabriel from getting hurt.

"What happened?"

Katrina had run after Cassandra without hesitation and she glanced at Colton as she felt his fingers on her body. At his question, she glanced at Cassandra and then back at the male, shaking her head slightly, voice quiet. "Not if the injuries are severe and if he fought, he could be tired. He's had Cass's energy every other time." she reminded him, worry eating at her as they came into the lobby.

The small brunette stopped at seeing her friend in the state he was and her fists clenched, anger simmering through her. She took a careful breath, though, trying to keep some control and Katrina instinctively leaned into Colton, seeking stability. Why were they always getting hurt? Couldn't they go one day...

Beth whimpered and seemed to cringe in on herself at Cassandra's tone. It was Misumi, looking worried and slightly intimidated by Cassandra herself - mated females were nothing to trifle with when their male half was injured - who answered. "We were hunting and Gabriel was leading. We left the Safe Zone and...it happened so fast...the deer ran into a parking garage and Gabriel went after it. The mutants attacked him and he's healed some, but..."

She really didn't know what else to say and didn't have to as Gabriel groaned, his vision flickering, trying to focus as his nose was flooded with Cassandra's scent. He managed to center himself enough to look at her and a faint smile touched his bloodied lips. "N-not their...fault...Cass..." Gabriel coughed blood and the glow appeared in sporadic spurts across his skin, but the more he tried to heal himself, the paler he became. His power needed energy, but his body had none to give and when he tried to force it he only grew worse in a vicious cycle.

Colton frowned slightly at Katrina's explanation, knowing she was right. He said nothing after that, following after the three females as they made their way to the hospital. His hazel eyes flickered with concern as they fell on Gabriel but his focus shifted momentarily when Katrina leaned against him for comfort. Instinctively, Colton put an arm around her and protectively pulled the small female closer to him as they watched.

Cassandra listened to Misumi's explanation with a patience that was barely there. Her eyes darted to Gabriel as he spoke though and she pushed aside her other thoughts to focus on her mate. Whether or not she agreed with the two AI females' decisions would have to wait until Gabriel was stable again. She reached out then, placing her hands on Gabriel's chest and a golden light flooded from her hands into the blonde. Cassandra's eyes narrowed a little in focus as she poured the energy into the male, pushing as much power as she could as quickly as possible.

"Try to stay awake for me, okay Gabe? Just for a few moments longer."

Gabriel nodded at his mate's words and he tried to keep himself from drifting off. The energy Cassandra was giving, his power was using immediately, the black glow wrapping around her hands, demanding, draining her even faster than she could drain herself. And still Gabriel just wanted to sleep. Healing couldn't replace the bloodloss, not immediately and that's what was effecting him the most now as the wounds started to close, his mangled arm repairing itself a good speed.

He was out of danger now and the blond blinked rapidly, dark amber eyes tinged black, hazed as the pain stopped and he was able to breathe without sharp stabs of fire running through his body. Gabriel reached up, taking Cassandra's wrist then and he spoke in a soft, slurred way.

"'Nough, Cass."

Even half lucid, he didn't want to hurt her, deplete her and a voice, a familiar one, agreed with the blond male.

"He's right. He's okay now, Moon Child." Malia walked forward and she crouched at Gabriel's head, the small child smiling gently at him as she pet his hair like one might a fond pet. "Sleep, Dark Storm. You're all right now. Sleep and remember this."

Gabriel's eyes showed confusion, but he seemed to pass out a moment later and it was Katrina who spoke into the silence, sounding royally pissed. She looked like she might surge forward at any moment and it was only Colton's arm around her that kept her stationary. "He almost died! AGAIN! Why didn't you warn him about this?!"

Pale blue eyes looked up into livid blue-steel and Malia was not a child in that moment, but a Seer only. "Some lessons are best learned, not avoided."

Cassandra was glad to see that Gabriel seemed to heal quickly once the energy filled him and when the black glow wrapped around her hands, she didn't avoid it, grateful that it was being used to help Gabriel further. When the blonde stopped her though, Cassandra frowned slightly and the reluctance in her expression was obvious. She might have ignored Gabriel's request entirely had Malia not appeared. It was only then that Cassandra dwindled the energy down until the golden light disappeared entirely and she looked up so her eyes met Malia's pale blue ones with some frustration.

Colton looked down at Katrina as the small brunette snapped angrily and he tightened his hold on her a little, leaning down to press a kiss to the side of her head.

"Easy, Kat."

Not that Colton was really one to speak - he had experienced his fair share of temper tantrums - but ever since Malia had informed them of the necessity of keeping Katrina's emotions in check, Colton had become more aware of the female's moods. Right now it was obvious that Katrina was more than a little peeved and now that Gabriel was stabilized, Colton's current priority was to calm the brunette down.

Cassandra hadn't said anything but she agreed with Katrina's sentiments; if Malia knew Gabriel was going to get hurt, why did she allow it to happen? A prickle of anger rose in Cassandra but she regarded the Seer's statement all the same, considering her words.

"...I don't understand. What lesson did we learn? I mean, other than the fact that I am never letting Gabriel out of my sight ever again."

Katrina growled under her breath at Colton's words and nearby glass exploded, metal creaking, but she allowed him to hold her and while her anger didn't leave, she gained some control over the intensity of it which in turn lessened the damage her telekinesis could do. What she WANTED to do was scream and rage, but apparently she had to learn self control. Dammit.

Malia didn't look concerned by either woman's ire and it wasn't arrogance that made her that way, but years of always seeing things before they happened, of seeing the paths people might choose to take. It came from having acquired wisdom and she spoke gently, but firmly to the three now, once again resting her small hand on Gabriel's head. "Gabriel is your leader and like all leaders, he doesn't want to see those closest to him hurt. He would rather suffer himself than let harm come to any of you. At some point in the future, this desire is going to overwhelm him and when he thinks the only way to keep you all protected is to leave you behind, I want him to remember this day. I want him to remember that on his own, he wasn't strong enough. Even with the help of two of his kind he wasn't strong enough."

Her pale blue eyes pierced each of them, settling on Cassandra. "It's only when he is with all of you, his rightful pack, that he will be able to be the leader he needs to become. That is the lesson learned today, perhaps for all of you. You are special on your own, but together you will reach heights few will be able to comprehend."

There was silence for a several long moments before Katrina folded her arms, snorting. "Well....I for one think that could have been explained on flashcards."

Colton was relieved when Katrina seemed to gain better control over her anger and when her telekinesis followed suit, calming and no longer threatening the destruction of the building, he smiled with some pride for the female. He nuzzled his face against her hair and at Katrina's ending remark, he chuckled softly and looked back up to watch Malia and Cassandra.

As she listened to the Seer, Cassandra's anger began to drain away and thoughtfulness filled her expression instead. Every one of Malia's actions was deliberate and this one was no exception. Suddenly, Cassandra found herself quite ashamed for getting so aggravated at the young girl. Her blue eyes fell on Gabriel again and she gently ran a hand against his arm with affection before looking back up at Malia, the anger from earlier replaced with an appreciation.

"...I understand. When Gabriel falls into that way of thinking, I will remind him of this. Thank you."

The small girl smiled and nodded, glad they were accepting her words without a fight. Yes, these six would do well. "You're welcome."

------------------------------------

They were home nearly three months after they'd left the Resistance and their arrival back was nothing short of joyous. They were all safe and they had the means to a cure. David and Grace's plan to stop the new virus had succeeded and now all that was left was to make this new cure and start giving it out! Simple and easy and wonderfully stress-free, right?

Not exactly.

It would take a few months to make a cure, to test it, make sure it would work and in the meantime, they were still getting attacked by the government. Rumors had started to fly about dying states, too, places so effected by spreading radiation that evacuations were mandatory and people were fleeing in droves, human and infected alike. What was worse, though, were the stories of the pale demons that attacked at night, coming out of the shadows, unstoppable, without mercy. Pale mutants that came with the radiation.

Those in the Resistance knew what it was, knew what was coming, but even they could only brace themselves and try to prepare. They'd couldn't stop the new oncoming apocalypse.

Katrina spent her time preparing by learning to control her power. Now that she knew it was linked to her emotions, she was showing more improvement than she had in seven years, but it was still hard and she found encouragement in Colton. Their relationship was openly affectionate now, but the small brunette still found it triggered her to move too quickly and so they were taking it slow.

That didn't mean, of course, that Katrina didn't like to tease Colton purposely now and then. Hey, she was still herself, even if she was learning to control her temper a bit more.

Gabriel, for his part, was back in meetings with David and Grace and he was at the hospital daily with Rose, both of them getting blood drawn for the cure. The blond seemed to be more at ease now that he was back home, but it was also clear that he was once again working himself too hard. Gabriel was just that way - he wanted to take care of everyone and knowing that worse things were coming made him try all the harder to prepare those he cared about.

It didn't help that the looming problem of the government was drawing closer and closer to needing a resolution - and it really didn't help that he knew that meant he'd have to make a decision he really, really didn't want to make.

His edginess was getting so bad, that today David had forbidden him from doing anything - besides giving blood - that had anything to do with work and he'd pretty much commanded Cassandra, Colton and Katrina as he recognized that all four of them seemed to be a group now, to do something fun. Currently....Katrina was the only one with an idea for that and she was trying to convince the others to agree.

Bee hunting!

--

"Oh, come on! The honey is great and if you're careful, you don't get stung more than three or four times!"

Gabriel stared at his friend as if she'd grown a second head. "Kat, that is THE worst idea I have EVER heard." The blond shook his head and the brunette's eyes narrowed as she crossed her arms, expression deadly, but not with lethal intent....no, with humiliating intent and Gabriel saw it immediately. He moved to clamp his hand over her mouth, but found himself stopped by invisible hands. The male growled, warning.

"Don't you DARE."

Katrina smirked. "What? Tell them how you decided to see if you could surprise a skunk and get away with it...and fail? No, don't worry, I won't say a word."

"Katrina!!"

By the end of the three months, Cassandra couldn't have been more happy to be home. In fact, it surprised her just how deeply relieved she had been to return and just how quickly the Resistance had become 'home' for her. Since Gabriel picked up his normal duties and became more busy, Cassandra had done the same while also learning how to better wield her power. She had finally gotten a better grasp on how to draw energy from multiple targets and now she could freely give energy to whomever she pleased. Of course, it was difficult to truly test her abilities since it was a rather dangerous power, but she now at least had a handle on the basics.

Colton was determined to learn the ins and outs of his power as well and when he wasn't training with Katrina, he was doing training of his own to master his mimicry. He had finally gotten to the point where he could resist accidentally adopting powers - though prolonged physical contact still sometimes tripped him up - and he was starting to be able to choose which power he wanted to adopt, so long as it wasn't above his level. Besides training though, Colton disliked leaving Katrina alone for long and when nothing pressing demanded he be elsewhere, he usually chose to stick near the brunette.

As for Austin...well, he was just happy to be home and when he wasn't learning how to read from Cassandra or practicing his fighting, he naturally gravitated towards Rose. His new friend seemed just as cheerful and good-natured as he was and he found it incredibly easy to get along with the female. As a result, he had worked to strengthen his friendship with Rose and when the blonde female wasn't giving blood, Austin took every opportunity he could to spend time with her.

-------------

Colton was the first to back Katrina's bee-hunting plan, siding with the brunette without hesitation. An amused grin crossed his face and he looked at Gabriel in an almost challenging way.

"You got sprayed by a skunk? Come on, Gabriel. This is your chance to redeem yourself. What, are you scared of a few bees?"

Cassandra gave her brother a look and she slapped his arm lightly. "Don't encourage him. What if you get stung, Gabe? I don't know if this is the best idea."

"Cass, when was the last time you had honey? Think of how good it'll be. Isn't a few bee stings worth it?"

"In that case, why don't YOU get it?"

Colton raised a brow and then glanced between Gabriel and Cassandra. "...Nah. I'm sure Gabriel could do it just fine."

Status
Not open for further replies.