Creature City Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alexis slipped in, and immediately latched onto him, wrapping her arms tight around his waist.
He hadn't lost too much weight. That was good. He'd been doing well in the time she'd been gone.
"I've missed you," she muttered. "Everyone has."

Arrow was taken aback by the usually icy Alexis' sudden affection, and he felt his heart melt as he wrapped his arms around her shoulders and pressed a kiss to the top of her head.
"I've missed you too," he said, confused at her unexpected visit but thrilled with it nonetheless. Blue stood back curiously, wary of the stranger. He pulled back, his hands still on her shoulders, and looked at her. "You look beautiful as always. What brings you here?"

Alexis frowned.
"You're in trouble," she finally said. "It's Jack. He's vanished, and he's just letting his empire crumble. None of us can find him anywhere, and people are starting to look towards taking over his throne. They think if they own this building, they own his empire. To put it simply, there's about three groups that want to take over this place, and in about three days it's going to be complete warfare in here."
She looked at the greyhound- it was so unusual to see the dog there in Kastra's place. "Are you guys able to move out of the district at all?"

"Uh."
Arrow's jaw hung open for a moment in shock. He hadn't expected to be yanked back into his past so suddenly and it sort of felt like someone had punched him in the guts. Composing himself, he followed Alexis' gaze and looked at Blue. How glad he was of her company in these trying times.
"I suppose so," he said eventually, still confused by it all. He'd been strictly on the straight and narrow for some months now, and knew nothing of tensions on the black market. He'd been purposely avoiding it. "I just finished doing the flat up. It should fetch a good price - more than what we paid for it."
He wondered if he'd even have time to sell it since Alexis seemed insistent that he was in danger, but thoughts of mundane trips to an estate agent and cleaning obsessively before potential buyers arrived were calming to think about, even if he was desperately reluctant to leave his house. His home.
"Jack's - vanished?" His mouth felt dry and saying that simple syllable was enough to set his palms sweating. He tried to conceal his continued heartbreak. "You haven't heard from him at all?"

Alexis saw his expression and faltered. No, it was bad of her to come here. He didn't want to be dragged into his past at all and she'd thrown him in here. But- she needed to do something.
"No," she admitted quietly, looking down. "Jet, Galzra, Azur and I- we've all searched high and low. This district, and the middle district. Nobody's seen him. We think he might be hiding in the rich, but- we've searched there, too, and there's no traces of him. Not even in the underground. There's no traces of his death, either, so we know he's alive- we just can't find him."

"Oh." He swallowed. "Well, he hasn't been home. So I don't know where he is either."
To distract himself, he petted Blue and she came closer, cautious of the stranger. Even though he loved Blue, the flat still felt hollow without Kastra - and without Jack.
"You really think I need to leave?"

Alexis nodded. "They want to fight, Arrow. If they find you here, they'll try and fight you to win control. We can try to help, but in all honesty, I'd rather not see you in harm's way if it can be helped. If you need a place to stay, we have spare rooms at Galzra's mansion in the rich district, where you can stay till you find somewhere to live. But you're in danger if you stay here."
She looked at the dog. "I'd rather not see your companion in harm's way, either. She looks far more of a lover than a fighter."

Arrow smiled weakly, and Blue pressed into his side. He'd always wanted a dog.
"Okay," he said after a few moments. "I'll come and stay until I find a new place. I'll try and sell the flat before it gets overrun, and I'll warn the barman about the danger." His voice sounded hollow, like it lacked spirit.

Alexis nods, frowning. She rests a hand on his shoulder.
"It'll be okay," she promised. "We'll support you for as long as you need."

Arrow bowed his head and looked down at his feet.
"I'll go and get my stuff."

Alexis began to help him pack his stuff. She felt a little bad, of course; how could she not? She'd come into his house and essentially told him to leave or die, and was now helping him flee somewhere that would be a warzone in a couple of days. As she helped him pack his things, she faintly wondered if this place would even still be standing the next time she came here.

There he was, splayed out on the couch, all wings and twin black talons. Smoke drifted around the room. Ash fell from a strange pipe the Harpy held in his beak. The tip glowed, orange embers the colour of his feathers in the gloom. Dominic was singing, low and crooning to himself when Roman stepped out of the shower. Something about Bohemia. A pair of sunglasses sat at an angle on his head, covering both eyes from the harsh glare of the world.
The Jackalope looked on. His mouth twitched with irritation at the Harpy's care-free display.
"We have to call. Someone."
"Who to call, who to call?" Dominic mused, propping himself up on his elbows and still humming the remnants of a distant tune. Of course it would come to this, Roman thought. The Harpy loved chaos, grew delighted when things sounded a disordered din. Seemed to inexplicably relax more when the unfortunate struck. And now here he was, slightly hungover and stretched boneless on plush cushions.
"Administration, maybe." He hated how vulnerable and unsure he sounded.

"They stopped picking up the moment the cheques started bouncing." Dominic explained. He exhaled smoke, his eyes fluttering shut for a moment. There was something delicious about the way the stoic, taciturn Jackalope fell apart when order broke down.
He turned to Roman, sunglasses glinting and ash still falling on the carpet.
"Chief's probably taking a long, over-due holiday. Hell, that's what I'd be doing. Fly south for the winter. Shit's getting cold man-"
Roman raked a claw through his wet hair, growling under his breath.

"Is that all you talk about? Holidays? Fucking tropical getaways?" He rounded his shoulders -that regal antlered head- turning on Dominic. His fists were balled up tight. Fingernails digging into palms.

Boy, Roman could turn mean quick. Probably because he was scared. Scared, Dominic supposed, must be an unfamiliar emotion to such an intimidating beast.
"-I mean, it was a little rude to cut us all off like that, of course, but I'm sure Chief had good reason to. Goddamn, all this work. Work work work! This is a blessing in disguise, man, I'm telling you!"

"Shut up. I'm trying to think." Roman paced, eyes narrowed. He pointed a ringed finger in the Harpy's direction. "And get a goddamn ash tray. This place isn't a pigstye. Yet."

Last edited by a moderator:
Abner smiled shakily.
"Man, the neighbours seem like a- like a nocturnal buncha people. Lights everywhere." He felt his heart beat start up an amphetamine staccato. Drums beat under his eyelids every time he closed them. An alarm blared in his head. It told him to get out of there. Skedaddle. Withdrawal, getting a migraine, can't sleep handsareshaking-
"I figure now's a good time to say," He chuckled, to make himself sound amiable, "But I left some stuff at Minerva's apartment."

Azur nodded, seeming to think for a moment.
"Do you want me to fly you? Make sure nothing happens, get some fresh air. I could do with getting away from here for a little while as well, in all honesty."
He noticed the shaking; Abner wanted drugs again. But Azur had no idea how to cure a drug addiction; it was something he'd have to see someone about to know how to help him. For now, as much as he hated it, he'd have to enable Abner. Until he found a way to help him.

Arrow squeezed Blue's leash in his hand as he wandered up the Helarisi Manor's driveway. There was a backpack on his back with his clothes in, and his toothbrush stuck out of the side pocket. The flat stood empty now - no fire in the hearth or personal touches on the countertops. He'd snapped some photos before he left and attached them in an email to an estate agent. He'd informed the owner of The Dragon's Head that he was leaving, and cautioned him about the coming danger. 'Warzone' and 'Red Chief' and 'gangs' were words that littered his listless warning. The owner had been upset to see him go, but seemed to understand, and thanked him for the heads-up about the expected violence.
Alexis had been a big help in gathering his things. She was like a quiet little pillar of support. He walked with her now, up towards the Manor, and Arrow looked across at where the Aster-Pitch Manor stood and cast its shadow over him. Then he turned away: any pleasant thoughts of Cecilia quickly turned sour when he remembered the blazing row he and Jack had had in her home. He hadn't told a soul about the Chief's true parentage. More than morality and decency, he kept quiet because people followed him, and if he opened his mouth he feared their response.

Minerva moved in the shadows, observing the creature she'd been tailing for the better half of the afternoon. He was walking with a girl, shoulder-to-shoulder, bags in hand, towards some fancy manor house. She followed, trailing behind and keeping her gaze softened; looking at buildings, stopping by street corners, so as not to seem suspicious. Minerva had made a concious effort to appear non-assuming, to cloak herself in the image of a tourist navigating a busy area. After all, she certainly didn't fit in with the upper class crowds. She grabbed the camera slung over her shoulder, taking a few shutter-click photos of the architecture in the upper district. She snapped a few shots, keeping the bored and aimless air, then trained the camera on Arrow and his acquaintance. Jack would appreciate some evidence of her pursuit.

Abner swallowed. "That would be great." He thought about all the things he'd missed, staying at the Helarisi House in his own perfect bubble. It was nice, but folks like him, Araneae, were born for the streets. He felt a strange heartache for it, a homesickness not born out of missing a home per say, but missing a thrumming city's spirit. He glanced around the household, and remembered he'd left his phone on the dressing table. He'd call his dealer, a guy named Jack who'd get him what he needed.

Rook slammed passenger door closed, sending the car rocking with the force. The inner city was crawling with creatures, figures loading crates of weapons onto trucks, shouting and clamoring over each other. Occasionally gun fire would sound, clear and sharp bursts that would stop as quickly as they started. It wasn't the noise that seemed to bother the inhabitants here, Rook noted, but the absence of it. Barricades were begining to be set up by a group of burly Minotaurs. They blocked the main road with their efforts, ignoring the honks of cars. The outer parts of the city were preparing for another onslaught from the enemy.
"Get off the road!" Rook barked, only to be ignored by the bustling people. She paced around the back of the truck, pulling open the doors and shooing the Henge out.
"Fuck it. We'll walk." She muttered, mostly to herself. The Henge blinked owlishly in the new light, taking in their surroundings.
"Don't you know I got places to be?" Rook anounced to the crowd with all the indignance of a high-ranking Volkof Girl.
An ash-streaked Pixie passed her, eyeing the Henge briefly before offering a biting remark to the lizard. "Haven't we all?"

Azur nodded, grabbing his coat as he strolled towards the window. "Good. I've missed the air in the lower districts." He stepped out onto the balcony, grimacing at the posh air. Tomorrow, he decided, he'd check with Jet about taking over the house in the middle district and moving back in. Perhaps Abner could live with him there; unless Minerva took him back in. The demon leaned back against the balcony, facing towards his companion.
"Let me know when you're ready, and we'll go."

Alexis tapped in a small code on the side of the door, shielding it with her wings, right underneath the ornate door handle. Her fingers worked deftly and quickly, making it simply look as though she fumbled a little bit to get the handle before grasping it firmly and turning it, pushing inwards. Light from the hallway flooded the dimly lit front step, and she wandered in, holding the door open for Arrow, glancing around as she did so. Her eyes locked onto a young Araneae across the street, taking photos- a tourist, but she seemed too familiar.
Ah, that was right. Her family had been following this particular one's family and keeping an eye on them. Abner's sister, this was. Minerva. She'd probably found out and come to see for herself. Alexis had never understood why her family watched them, but never contributed to ease their suffering. There was probably a good reason. Eitherway, she offered up a wave to the familiar figure as Arrow passed the threshold with Blue, and shut the door behind him.

The years were early and hazy. Chance Frigewalt, newly married and thrust into the arms of motherhood just as early, sits on the couch. Her hair is nestled in curlers and she tunes into Ricki Lake with a bored expression. She knows second hand smoke isn't good for the kids in the back of her mind, but she lights up anyway. Smokes weed and eats chips out of the bag. Takes a trank later in the evening so she can sleep. Abner sits on the floor, young and buck-toothed, talking to himself avidly. A few dull coloured crayons are nestled in three fists, and he scribbles in his dollar store sketchbook. He narrates as he goes, like he's the sole inhabitant of his own private universe. In this universe he is king of the jungle gym, conquerer of monsters and debt-collectors, and just as rich as the Nereid boy next door. It's mostly nonsense, little kid bullshit, but Chance can pick out words like "Dad" and "Ma". And sometimes the subject of his baby sister would crop up too. Soft and conspiratorial. What Chance doesn't know is, whilst she's taking her afternoon nap in the living room, Abner will find his mind wandering, find himself glancing at the cradle in the corner of the room. Make his way over to it, all seven year old curiosity, and stare into the alien eyes of his little sister. If the mood strikes him, and he feels particularly bold, he'll scoop her out of the cot, (gently gently support the head) and show her all his drawings. She's too young to give her opinion, but that's okay, because she'll grow up looking at them, grow up listening to his older brother stories.
"That's you, Minny." He holds up a crumpled sketchbook sheet in another hand. Points at a vague pink scribble, plump and wrapped in a floral swaddle. He whispers this, so he doesn't wake Chance up. She gurgles like she's heard a great joke, and satisfied, he puts her back in the cot so she can go back to sleeping.
The years slog by, slow and difficult. Minerva turns seven, Abner turns fourteen, (for his fourteenth birthday he gets a comic book and a pat on the back), and Charlie leaves for college.

The Abner in the present- the one with more dark circles under the eyes, the version with less optimism and childhood spark -smiles.
"I'm ready."

Azur nods. He steps over to Abner; wraps his arms around the boy and scoops him up, and cradling him close takes off into the sky, soaring over the rich district into the middle journey.
It's a quick journey, ten minutes or so, that he spends in silent contemplation watching the town below. His eyes raise to the horizon, wondering what's beyond there. At some point in his long, long life, he'll likely find out. As soon as the rest of the Helarisis grew bored of this city. They'd move on, leave this roost, and find a new one. A new city, a new empire; start from the ground up.
His gaze flicks down again, and he begins to descend, recognising Minerva's current residence.

Status
Not open for further replies.