Creature City Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.
The spider's eyes widen at the mention of lavish parties and fancy balls. That sounded more his style than anything. He imagines for a fleeting moment himself in the place of the Demon; wearing the same suit he was wearing, dancing with some pretty lady, exchanging oh-so sophisticated dialogue. "Man, your brother sounds like he has it all figured." He laughs, and then averts his gaze. He remembers he can't be too sincere with the mark, considering what him and Vince are going to pull in the hotel room. He's tempted to lie about his background in the face of someone who might be more inclined to look down on him. Instead, he finds the truth tumbling from his lips.
"As for me? Born and raised here." The Araneae brushes the lapels of his stadium jacket with his knuckles, finding a smile on his face. That wasn't so bad to admit. Yeah, Abner Fridgewalt, born and raised in the brokest place of the city. He'd stuck it out here, and hell, at least it wasn't gentrified.
"Though I reckon when I've got enough cash, I'm going to blow this place." His eyes inadvertedly move hopefully towards the Demon's pockets, thinking vaguely of how many credits might be in there. Then he rights himself. Must not be too hasty, as Vince had said.

Azur chuckled lightly. "Funnily enough, I grew up here too. Wouldn't think it looking at my suit, huh? We only recently came into this wealth due to...unfortunate circumstances," he frowned, a shadow briefly falling over his face as a hand went to a small brooch on his suit- a white feather. "So now we live in the rich district instead." he muttered, a subtle note of distaste in his voice.
Of course, he was fully aware the spider was likely to try to rob him. He didn't have any extra money on him; it wouldn't be hard to send some Abner's way at a later date, but he'd rather it done on his terms. What he did have was a fully replenished well of magic, and a good idea of how to tie the spider up to immobilise him already. He didn't expect the guy to be alone, and he'd memorised how to tie up his partner- the hyena guy- just in case he got jumped.
In fact, he doubted they'd even get to the event that Abner was hinting at. Still, he let himself play into his hands for now.
He chuckled as Abner spoke again. "Yeah, I can see why. The allure of the rich district is pretty hard to ignore. Pretty hard to stay in too, unless you play your cards right."

The two rounded the corner to the Imperial. Abner eyed the building in a nervous silence. He just hoped Vince would help him through his end of the act. "Oh yeah?" The spider commented idly in response to the Demon's words. His thoughts were lying somewhere else. He entered through the double doors, leading the way. "Good to meet another home district-er!" He called back towards Azur, an expecting grin on his face. They advanced towards the front desk, although Vince was nowhere to be seen. In this case Abner wouldn't lock the door to the room whilst he was charming the mark, so he could let the other barge in. He rehearsed his lines in his head, hands balling into fists and then uncurling again.

Azur chuckled, following him. He noted there was nobody at the front desk and assumed Abner had just got a room booked already.
Which was fine. He could deal with that.
He just followed the spider closely, keeping an eye on his behaviour. He brushed a mental hand along the surface of the well that held his magic, readying it for use.

The first mark had yelled bloody murder as Vince's intimidating frame had appeared in the doorway. When he heard the Hyanid make his approach, Abner's shirt was half shrugged off as he raced to play the guilty partner.
"Honey, this isn't what it seems-"
"Like hell it is!" Vince did his trademark roar, trying to get in between him and the mark, who had scrambled up on the bed.
"Gonna kill him!" The spider slotted himself closer to his angered 'boyfriend', shooting a false look of concern the mark's way.
"No, you're not. You're gonna wait in the lobby." He'd plead, barely ordering the bulking Hyena around. At this point Vince would lunge at the victim, Abner barely restraining him this time as the man tore their wallet from their pockets.
"I've got your name and adress, bastard! I'm going to call your wife!"
At this point, most marks forgot about their lives and their current partner, begining to concentrate on the possibility of their family finding out they'd been lead to some seedy motel by an Araneae with the express purpose of cheating.
"Wait down in the lobby!" Abner called after Vince as the Hyena stormed away. The mark was all over him after that. He needed that wallet, the money didn't matter, as long as Charlene didn't find out what they did in their downtime- They needed the identification, oh lordy- Abner would reassure them, go down to the lobby to 'talk' with the hyena. Reason with him. Instead of talking and reasoning they'd split whatever cash was in the wallet and the spider would run up to the room to hand it back to the frightened mark. They would usually be so grateful not to have their lifestyle exposed, they'd forget about the money and run.
Of course, Abner had his doubts about their current guy. He had a feeling this con wouldn't go so smoothly, because Vince had made the wrong kind of deductions about Azur's personality. The guy didn't even look married, and it looked like he wouldn't cower whilst Vince snatched his wallet. Maybe he'd even put up a fight.
"So, this is the room." Abner said distractedly, unlocking the door with his key. He flashed a grin at Azur. He hardly noticed the Demon's awareness of their situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Azur smiled, making it seem distracted as he followed the Araneae in. Now he was faced with two options; did he wait until the second partner appeared and save this guy the effort, or did he let him do his thing and wait for the hyena guy to show up?
He waited patiently, watching his actions patiently.
He decided he'd wait for the partner, but he'd save Abner the pain of doing his business anyway. Most folks were in cons for money (the amount of which he only had in the diner) and he suspected Abner was the same. So he waited for the spider to make himself comfy before acting.

Abner, unaware of just what the Demon had understood from the situation, turned to Azur with an almost bashful grin. He closed the door to the room shut. Then reached out tentatively, knowing his perogative was to involve the mark in their act so deeply he was all the more surprised and vulnerable when Vince burst in. His hand finally found itself at the man's tie.
"Well, we're here. You wanna...?" He wasn't sure how to open it, as usually the mark tended to take the lead. In that quiet, fierce moment he hated Vince for what he'd been cajolled along to do. How long had it been since his last fix? Hadn't Vince promised him the rest after he pulled the con off?

"Hmm," Azur hummed, before quite literally swooping the spider off his feet, carrying him to the bed and setting him down.
"Let's have a chat, shall we."
He took a seat across from Abner, sitting cross-legged on the bed. "First off; I know you're not doing what you want me to think you're doing. You want to con me. Soon enough your partner will burst in the room, screaming bloody murder at catching you 'cheating'" he used air quotes for that, "with me. He'll steal my ID, I'll beg for it back, you'll take any money I have and I'll run, leaving you with the cash. You hoped to hit big, because I look rich."
"I'm gonna put it out there now; it won't work. Unless you're planning on robbing that waitress from earlier I've got no more cash. What I will tell you, though, is that you hit big in a different manner."
He took a moment to look the spider up and down, judging. Calculating. He was waiting now; waiting, because he knew the partner was about to burst in. They should've been fully involved by now. Magic rolled about his fingertips, just under the skin, waiting impatiently for that man to burst through the door.

The spider cringed away at the sudden, polite contact, expecting the Demon to strike him as Azur revealed steadily that he had known their plot all along. He spluttered for a moment, first incredulous, then nervous. Before he had time to speak, Vince hit the door as he shouldered his way into the room. The Hyanid's eyes moved from Abner on the bed, to the Demon. He began to act the image of the outraged, jealous boyfriend at once. Abner wanted to tell him to shut up, fought off the urge to smother himself with the nearest pillow. Turned out the guy was smart, and apparently, despite his fancy suit, hardly carried any cash on him at all! Vince had read him wrong.
"Just what am I seeing, Abner?" The Hyena snarled, slightly taken aback by how removed from the situation the spider seemed, but nevertheless blustering on. Kid was never a good actor anyway.

In a flash, Azur had tendrils of red magic working around the Hyenid, pushing the door shut and clicking it locked, dragging him inside. His eyes glowed but nothing else moved as he brought the man within arm's reach.
"You saw nothing," he said. "This heist went successfully."
With that, he gave the hyenid a strong knock on the head, dropping him unconscious and turning back to the unfortunate spider.
"Now, where were we?"

Abner gasped as the Hyena fell like a sack of potatoes to the ground. Thank God the guy didn't look angry with him too, or perhaps he would have met the same fate. He swallowed, fighting back the swathes of panic that washed over him as he sat on the mattress. It had all gone so wrong so quickly.
"We were talking." He mumbled, face downcast. Dark crescent moons highlighted themselves underneath his eyes as he looked away from the Demon.

Azur frowned. Well, he certainly hadn't meant to panic his friend.
"Yknow...you're not gonna meet the same fate as this guy," he said, his voice genuinely soft. A little apologetic. "I...think I might know you. Abner, right? Your sister's Minerva. She's contacted my family before. From what we know you're hardworking folk, doing what you can with the quite frankly shit lot you've been given in life."
He gestured towards the room. "I don't want to have known someone like you- have my family know them- and then leave them to a fate like this. Knowing someday they'll end up stuffed in a bag in a back alley to be fed off to the next whatever that picks it up cause the angered the wrong client. Us Demons may have a chaotic nature, but there are some things we wanna preserve. And for me, that's you."
He took a deep breath. "What I'm saying is, if you're the Abner that I think you are, then you're someone my family knows. Which means you're a good enough person and I can get money to you. Maybe...maybe get you into the rich district, start up a business there and really establish yourself. Fix your reputation. If you'd like that." The cocky attitude had vanished, replaced with his more honest side. A little vulnerable, kind, apologetic.
He stood, heading towards the window. "Let me know if you make up your mind. I'll be around the same area tomorrow, and a couple days after that. Just...keep an eye out for me if you want in on that life."
Throughout his whole little speech, he'd sounded genuinely sad for the hand he'd been dealt. And he was. This family didn't deserve that fate.
"That or I guess I can give you my number in case you miss me or decide when I'm not there."

Abner's mouth opened once, twice, and then he promptly shut it again. The room felt small suddenly. It was just him now, him and the Demon he'd only met fifteen minutes ago, who already seemed to empathize with him like nobody else could. He sniffed, one hand on his jacket and the other two knuckling his eyes. "So you know my sister, huh?" His eyes glided to the Hyena on the floor subconsciously. What Azur was offering- it could change his goddamn life. No more cons, no more violence, no more relying on folks that treat him like a dog for drugs. He laughed at the absurdity of it all. The image of Vince on the ground and the idea that almost half an hour ago he'd been sitting in a diner tired and broke was almost too much. The spider smiled, finally looking at up at the Demon.
"I- I'd like that. Very much." His neurotic, fast-talking exterior dropped from his shoulders as he offered up a softer part of him in front of his mark, the mark that had turned the tables.
"I'm always around. We'll cross paths?"

Azur smiled. He scribbled his number on a note, and handed it to him. "Of course we will. Better start lookin around and figuring out what the rich folk want, though. I'll stop by soon. You need a bit of a clean up, a new outfit, and you need to learn how to act at a ball if you're gonna attend the opening one for our family."
He glanced over at Vince's groan and frowned. "Damn, I hoped he'd be out for longer." He pushed open the windowsill and hopped up. "Well, it's been a pleasure."

"Did you enjoy your night, my lady?"
The Manor was quiet now; the last guests had left a short time ago. Cecilia's young handmaid carded her fingers through the Baroness' wispy red hair, picking the decorative flowers from her antlers. Cecilia loved to be fussed over and leaned back into her touch. Her handmaid was one of the only servants she had that she actually trusted. Ellaria had quickly become her only confidante, and a close friend.
"Yes. I had a lot of fun tonight. I think now the Noble Families are actually going to take me seriously."
"They already had much respect for you, my lady," Ellaria said, running her fingers over the Baroness' velvety antlers. "But tonight was a brilliant show of your charm and intelligence. I think they admire you now. You're who they wish they could be."
"You flatter me," Cecilia chuckled softly.
"I tell the truth." Ellaria paused, her gaze drifting to beyond her lady's bedroom and across to the enormous house next door. It was semi-visible through the trees, and seemed to be lit from inside.
"Who are they?"
"I'm not sure, my lady." The handmaid's fingers began to work Cecilia's hair, easing it into a loose plait for the night. Cecilia looked curiously over at the house, which she had been unaware was going to be occupied again after the last tenants left. She couldn't quite see who was inside, but she saw their figures moving. She wondered where Jet was now - last she'd checked, her old friend had disappeared from the rooftop.
"Tomorrow I will host a welcome dinner for them," she said decidedly, her gaze unwavering as she tried to look into one of the windows. "They're my neighbours, after all. I'll figure them out before the other Families can cosy up to them."
"As you wish, my lady," Ellaria said, tying off the scarlet plait. "I'll alert the cooks to buy in more food tomorrow morning."
Ellaria's hands brushed across the young Baroness' shoulders, shifting lavish furs from them to leave them grey and bare; she sighed as her handmaid began to press the tense muscle there with skilful fingers.
"When I'm in bed, you'll go to the house and see if they answer the door. It looks like they're still awake. If you can, extend my warmest welcome and invite them to dinner."
"Yes, my lady."
"Take Altair with you."
At the mention of his name, the magnificent creature lounging on Cecilia's four-poster lifted his head. The Griffin was large, and beautiful. His eagle-like wings were splayed either side of him and his back paws, like a lion's, were half-concealed beneath them.
"He'll certainly make a good impression on them, my lady."
"Exactly." The Baroness grinned.

With a Griffin by her side, Ellaria Nira left the Aster-Pitch Manor through the back servants' entrance and stepped out into the night. Save for her, all was quiet.
Ellaria rather liked her handmaid's uniform. The short, collared black dress went well with her thick black hair, which fell iron-straight to just below her shoulders. Her skin was bronze and irises dark; she was of Malaysian descent and bore it in her mono-lidded eyes and slight figure. Her lips were full and adorned with a harsh Cupid's bow, always semi-pouting, almost resembling a bird's beak. Her most striking feature, however, was the pair of black feathered wings folded against her back. They were like raven's wings, glossy and angular. Harpies were known for the animalistic beauty of their wings.
Ellaria walked confidently down the house's long drive with Altair at her heel. She paused, looking up at its grand stature, then knocked sharply.

Abner got to his feet to watch the Demon take his exit. There was still so much to talk about, too much to say. He held Azur's arm briefly.
"Wait. Y-your family? I mean. Me, goin' to a ball? He pinched himself just in case he was dreaming. Vince stirred on the carpet, one large paw going up to feel his head. He looked back, knowing the man's answer was time sensitive.

Azur chuckled. "Of course. I did say that, didn't I?" He paused. "What's your full name? So I can introduce you."

Galzra raised an eyebrow. He stood, setting his pen down with a faint "clack" against the oak table, made his way to the door and let it swing open. He recognised the griffin immediately; Altair and him had played when Jet had brought him over a couple times, back when the boy was small. He wondered faintly if Altair recognised him. He gave a polite smile to the maid, dipping into a slight bow with one arm over his waist, as was the custom. "Greetings. How might I help you?"

Ellaria curtsied in return. Beside her, Altair was clicking his beak quietly to himself and looking up at the man who had opened the door in a way Ellaria had come to learn was curious and friendly.
"Good evening," she said formally to the stranger. Her dark eyes scrutinised him and what she could see of the house behind him. "Sorry to trouble you so late, but I saw you were awake. I hope that's all right."
Her glossy black wings, which were bony and bird-like, came to wrap around her shoulders slightly like a shawl. It was cold out here in the dark.
"I'm here on behalf of the Baroness Aster-Pitch - the girl next door. Are you the head of the house, Sir?"
The Griffin at her side stepped forward, pressed against her thighs. His large orange eyes seemed to be studying the man intensely, and Ellaria frowned down at him. She was learning slowly how to read the intelligent creature's body language, but was still a beginner. Cecilia would make something important of his interest in the stranger, she was sure - but Ellaria could not.

Status
Not open for further replies.