Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, Scifi, Horror, Superhero, and nearly all adventure genres
Summary

CotC is a roleplay intended for mysterious and gothic faction storytelling. Sorcery will be a reality, as will ghosts, demons, and other horrors. Players will create and control dark fantasy clans/societies who grudgingly coexist inside the same sprawling cavern system. Political theater will be encouraged, as well as ancient rivalries, unholy bargains, and forbidden romances. Also, some amount of worldbuilding & collective plotting will be required. If you'd like more information please investigate the spoilers below. :)

The Roemheld Polity is a nation of faith and judgement that has endured for over four centuries. Its chief cleric, the Vicegerent, rules over a magnificent stretch of countryside. Its western lands harbor mighty rivers, great lakes, and temperate rainforests; while its southern portion is a single unbroken prairie. Along its eastern boundary the Eerie Mountains spread over three hundred miles. And it's there, beneath a mountain ravine, that the foulest wound of Roemheld persists - the Grand Chasm of the Chasmata.

The Grand Chasm is a cavern system so immense it takes two days travel to reach its opposite end. But unlike most of the the caves and tunnels under the mountains (collectively known as the Buried Realms) it has an extraordinary feature - daylight. Thousands of years ago, for reasons not yet known, segments of its roof collapsed; which allowed the sun to to finally reach down and touch its floor - tracts of it at least. So flowers bloomed and trees took root in pockets of daylight encircled by darkness.

A unique ecosystem was born. Birds and butterflies flew in to compete with cavern bats. Curious rodents climbed down through tree tops, and predators such as the lynx and badger quickly followed. Forest creatures adapted to the sunken woodlands and shadowed thickets below the mountains. But the most dauntless, ambitious, and dangerous species to descend into the Chasm, was humanity.

Dc7GiyI.jpg

The Netherwood

One hundred and fifty years before our present day, pioneers of Roemheld plunged below the ravine. During their exploration they were alarmed to discover they weren't alone; bizarre civilizations inhabited the lower world. When news of the Chasm societies reached the Polity the ecclesia promptly judged them as heretics. And the theocracy would not tolerate an infestation of heathens.

Their first move was to carve a colossal stairway - which remains today - from ravine to Chasm floor. Once completed their follow up move was the construction of a colony, which they dubbed Basalnock. It would serve as their righteous foot in the door. Then brick walls and iron fences were erected to better protect the colonist from the "wicked creatures" they now neighbored. Finally, soldiers, chaplains, and friars of fire were marched in, and the crusade for the Chasm began.

vsCr72q.jpg

Chasm Morning

At the war's start the battles overwhelmingly went in Roemheld's favor. They had the benefit of surprise as well as a unified force, as opposed to the unprepared and divided Chasm people. There was ancient ill-will between the underfolk which made them risk annihilation rather than cooperate. As a result, they continued to suffer defeat after defeat. But there came a point, when the fires of the crusaders burned in nearly every tunnel, that their contempt for one another was forgiven. So they banded together as one people - thereby known as the Chasmata - and swore to defend their homeland.

The organized resistance ground the Polity's crusade to a halt. And the stalemate didn't favor the invaders. Surface soldiers grew weary of the sunless battlefields and the confinements of tunnel warfare. As their spirits sank the ferocity of the Chasmata swelled. The tides inevitably turned. Week after week Roemheld forces were forced to retreat, until eventually, they were pinned behind the walls of Basalnock. The outpost proved a tough nut to crack. It took years before the Chasmata successfully stormed the colony, and when they did so they granted no mercy to their enemies. The ecclesia, disgusted by the campaign's failure, abandoned any hope of conquering the Grand Chasm.

With the war over the Chasmata had to learn how to be allies without a common enemy. It's proved an arduous project. Their covenant has been more or less upheld for nearly nine decades, but it's waning with each year. Skirmishes between the underfolk arise from time to time, but so far the leadership have prevented the sparks from catching fire. But how long can that continue before one of them breaks and renounces the alliance?

qpsrAaH.jpg

As you can see, several locations across the map have been left open. This leaves room for players to contribute areas of interest, or serves as needed space for GM plot purposes. Also, the player town placements are merely suggestions; they can be rearranged however we need them.

Four player spots are up for for grabs when the RP launches. Technically, five societies compose the Chasmata, but the final spot will be reserved for a replacement player should I need one. As the GM I will NPC major threats, narrate significant happenings, arbitrate and resolve conflict, as well as handle other storyteller duties.

In terms of players, I'm looking for mature and easily inspired members capable of developing their own story arcs. I will introduce plots and world events throughout the roleplay, but CotC players should always have a story or two - be it romance, intrigue, exploration, or something else - brewing at all times. The most appropriate/interesting faction sheets will be accepted, as opposed to who expresses their interest first.

Posts should be at least three paragraphs, as players have an entire culture to showcase and develop. I recommend collaborative posts for direct interactions. In terms of activity, an entry a week is perfect, but I'm flexible. Thanks for browsing my interest check; I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Consider me interested, though I'm going to do a bit more exploring before fully considering joining. What kind of species can we play as? Are we only confined to the cavern or is exploration into the outside world also a possibility? Where will our characters live in accordance to the map and what will the character sheet look like?

EDIT: Also, will the posting order be a courtesy system or will you have people take turns?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bone2pick
Excellent questions. In regards to playable species I'll consider anything that's appropriate for the setting, tone, and expected conflicts. Keep in mind CotC is dark fantasy, so reasonable descriptions to aim towards are gothic, mysterious, ominous, and cabalistic. Please nothing that resembles Tolkien's elves, as I've had my fill of those. :)

Exploration will be permitted, and in some cases encouraged - especially of the neighboring Buried Realms. I included tunnels leading out of the Chasm for a reason. ;) In respect to the surface, little storytelling will take place there. To do so would take away from the uniqueness of the established setting. Not to mention the Chasmata would be as vulnerable to Roemheld as a turtle is out of its shell.

Your characters will live wherever their settlement is, which can be wherever you'd like it - assuming that's inside the Grand Chasm. The player spots on the map are nothing more than suggestions. I haven't hammered out the faction sheets yet, but they will undoubtedly include sections for race, culture, religion, economy, combative forces, settlement description, history, & ruler(s).

Posting won't have a strict order. Players will put up entries whenever possible and I'll respond to them as needed. In instances where important actions or events need to develop with strict back and forth contributions, we'll work through those with OOC planning. Possibly implementing a temporary post schedule.

I hope I've sufficiently answered all your questions. But if I haven't and you'd like more clarity, or if you have new questions, please ask away.

• Thank You
Reactions: junebug
@Bone2pick Beautiful response, thank you! To clarify, we aren't having character sheets? Only faction sheets?

A quasi-character sheet for your society's ruler will be incorporated into the faction sheet. I'll also want a few other influential members of your faction named and detailed. If you're inclined to go deep with your primary character's information, then I encourage you to do so. Feel free to add anything you feel might be relevant or interesting.

Reactions: junebug
@Bone2pick Alright, consider me sold! I eagerly await more people and information for this roleplay. :D

• Love
I'm definitely intrigued! Count me in!

So we have everyone? :D

So we have everyone? :D

We have enough interest to get things moving. I'll create the faction sheet asap so players can begin dreaming up their Chasm society. For those who'd like to learn more about the setting I've put up a lore thread: INFO DUMP - Covenant of the Chasmata Lore

I started with a repost of the introduction, but new information about Roemheld is below that. My next installment will flesh out the Grand Chasm. :)

New lore update for those following along. Signup & OOC threads are next on the agenda. :)

Hey man! Sorry to do this but I'm pretty swamped with stuff right now, and though I'm still really interested to see how it pans out, I'm no longer able to consider participating as a player. Best of luck!

No problem at all. Thanks for considering it, best to you as well. :)

I'd love to join this if it's open! I have a great idea for a gothic species I think would fit very well in this! ^-^

@Danielle reaver It's most definitely open. I'm intrigued to see what you come with. :)

• Love
Well, this is different than the usual norm. I have been craving something different and unique for a while now. Consider me interested.