Colony Galileo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not seeing any highlighting in his post.... Unless he just changed it, but when it first was posted I didn't see anything either.

I'm not seeing any highlighting in his post.... Unless he just changed it, but when it first was posted I didn't see anything either.
We're probably using the same background color then. but it's fixed now so we're all good.

I don't know why we have different backgrounds
To expand upon what @Azathoth said, while we have seven themes, there are only four background colours. I have made a fairly expansive guide—linked in my siggy—if you're interested in learning more.

that's right I'm always ready for some good ol' shameful self-promotion

@Brovo, my Character Sheet is updated. I basically just completely overhauled the character and kept the picture. I suppose I'll try to play the lighter spectrum this go-round. :eyebrows:

So that's why "Etiolation of the soul", huh?
That phrase came from a person undergoing a particularly rough round of chemo. Even when there is nothing but darkness and no promise of light, life will grown and seek light from everywhere possible. I found it to be a moving sentiment and in line (pun wise) with my username.

Last edited:
Name: Finnergen Henndrix
Sex: Male
Species: Human. Telepath
Appearance:
29a263d3b28ff5b2ad750186979d2b12.jpg

Tattoos are not as seen in picture Actual tattoo sleeves and neck.
Ship Survivor or Colonist?: Colonist of this beautiful planet.
Biography:

Finnergen never officially had a home world, his first breaths were of recycled oxygen on board a starship. His parents were vagabonds, drifters who thought they could get a better life by taking what they wanted from others. In simple terms they were pirates serving with a crew of 35 on board the lovingly named SS. Horizon. Now to say that he had a normal childhood was an outright lie, however that didn't make growing up on that ship horrible. The crew were not monsters, they just enjoyed their freedom. To the young Finnergen they were all his aunts and uncles, they and his parents raised Finn to appreciate what he had, fight for what he wanted and to never give up.

Life had been great for many years, though it was dangerous at times and men came and left from his life. It wasn't until the ship was captured did 12 year old Finns life was been turned upside down. The INEF as a show of force, had the captain and his first mate, his father, executed. The rest of the crew including Finn and his mother were arrested and put in prison. Finn being a boy and a budding Telepath was separated from his family who all had to serve 50 year prison sentences for murder and piracy.

For 6 years he had no contact with his mother, serving time for the crimes of his parents. On his 18th birthday he was given a chance to escape his cell. Either join the military or stay in prison. The choice was simple for Finn, and the next 8 years he spent serving in the INEF training and honing his abilities as a Telepath and using his skills for the 'Greater good'. It was there did he get the nickname Hellion. Brutal, and unrelenting, the anger he had built up for so many years was released over and over at whoever the military threw in front of him until there was no more anger left.

when he finally couldn't keep fighting with that insane zeal, he left the military making his way to Colony Galileo. There he has spent the last few years working to take the skills he used for war to help others as well as overseeing a farm an old pirate buddy of his father owned. The older man was never cuaght and was now too weak to look after the crops. He had died the year before last giving the farm to Finn who works it to this day.

Stats:
  • Strength: 6
  • Agility: 4
  • Marksmanship: 5
  • Intelligence: 5
  • Courage: 7 (6 +1)
  • Survival: 7 (6+1)

Never Back Down: There will be a time in every mans life when they must make choice. Do you back down when things seem to be at their worst or do you hold your ground no matter what. Will you hold firm when no one else can? Finn has taken that hard path and is more then willing to do it again. ( +1 Courage and if a number of people fail to be courageous around him he will stand his ground no matter what.)

Know My Pain: Being a Telepath means most are empathetic, having seen other peoples thoughts at one time or another, you can understand how people are feeling in a way others simply can not. Finn brings the phrase 'I feel your pain' to a whole new level however. He can touch someone and intentionally feel their pain. The connection flows both ways and the person touched no longer feels whatever pain they were in if any and instead feels whatever pain Finn had felt. (When activated "pain" is traded between Finn and the subject. The ability must be activated by a touch but can be maintained as long as Finn is within 20 meters of the subject.)
Level 2: Having used this skill numerous times both in practice and in the field Finn has grown use to feeling pain whether it is his own or others. (+1 Survival)

The Monster Is Real: When Finn was just a boy, he had been afraid of the monster under hid bed. So bad in fact that he would have horribly vivid nightmares of clawed hands reaching for him as he tried to sleep. Though those nightmares had long past, Finn knows how powerful fear can be. As a telepath he has mastered the ability to give others 'Nightmares'. In a close distance around him and can cause people to hallucinate, seeing whatever he wishes. As it happens their sense of fear is multiplied. (An ability when activated can be used to cause hallucinations and an enhanced fear sense to anyone within 15 meters. The effect grows stronger and more vivid the closer Finn is to his targets. )
Level 2: Finn has not only grown stronger with this ability but has also turned it into a useful tool instead of a weapon. The ability does not need to heighten the sense of fear and instead can either give heighten no feeling at all or pervade a calming feeling to its targets. It does NOT effect AI in any way. (The range grows 30! feet.)

Equipment List:
  • Standard INEF sidearm ( two magazines on a shoulder holster)
  • Universe Equivalent of a Cell Phone
  • Dog Tags
  • Standard INEF rifle with an extra magazine
  • Hiking Boots with a 5 inch Boot knife
  • Backpack with enough supplies to last 3 days
  • Thermal Sleeping bag tied to backpack
  • One set of fresh cloths
  • Universe Equivalent of a flashlight

Signature: I Honorific! shall not only allow but approve of the random death that might occur. May we never go quietly into the night.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention to say that I would like to start in the eastern district/spawn place.

Am eager to write with you all. ^^

Can't wait for my character to start trolling people and have everyone begin seeing an eight foot tall pure white rabbit with a monocle hopping around.

I'd also like to start in the Eastern district if possible. :) Looking forward to starting this!

How does telepathy work on a machine?
I'm going to assume not very well. Although it has not been massively explained, it seems that AI and other robotics and machinery can't be telepaths which implies that it is a very biological process.

Can't wait for my character to start trolling people and have everyone begin seeing an eight foot tall pure white rabbit with a monocle hopping around.
Until Winter is coming...
Hmmmmm, rabbit stew.~

Reactions: Honor-Sama
I'm going to assume not very well. Although it has not been massively explained, it seems that AI and other robotics and machinery can't be telepaths which implies that it is a very biological process.
Potatocat seems to think similarly to myself, @Honorific. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards Brovo thinking telepathy doesn't really effect AI or machines cause they're not biological.

Reactions: Honor-Sama
Potatocat seems to think similarly to myself, @Honorific. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards Brovo thinking telepathy doesn't really effect AI or machines cause they're not biological.

Nope, telepathy can affect AI in this universe, confirmed by Brovo via talk about this RP on Skype. The origins of telepathy are biological, so an AI cannot be a telepath, but the effects deal with consciousness itself, which AIs (of types 2 and 3 at least) do possess. A telepath trying to read or manipulate the mind of an AI (or of any life form very dissimilar to their own species for that matter) will find the mind to be very alien and hard to work with, which is why it takes a very skilled and/or powerful telepath to mess with AI minds.

IC is up here, but I encourage you to read below. It'll fill in a lot of blanks. :ferret:

Action Log/Tutorial: The action log comes accompanied with each IC post. It details what actions the GM interpreted from each post. It also includes friendly NPC's, if any are around. For the intro phase, each group will also have a liaison officer telling you what you should do next, until you reach Central City. You're free to listen to or defy the liaison officer as you'd like, though there may be consequences for doing so. After all, the liaison officer might talk about you around Central City...

You'll also want to pay attention to the description of the environment. You can derive certain pieces of information based on what's going on that way. For example: If people are consistently running or traveling south, that probably means there are enemy forces to the north that you may want to try and avoid. At any time, you can ask in the OOC about what may or may not be in the environment. So if you're searching for, say, materials, or paths, or cover, or so on, you can ask. As a rule of thumb, so long as you're in the city, there should always be at least some walls or pieces of debris you can take cover behind. You don't need to ask me for it and enemy NPC's will behave as though it always exists unless you catch them off guard.

While most actions use dice rolls, dialogue does not. Your character will succeed or fail at negotiations purely on their own merits. I will account for traits that aid in dialogue, but only where appropriate. (Ex: You can't intimidate a giant psychotic super alien bear, no matter how much you yell at it. If your character is naturally intimidating however, it will take effect around other people, for good or for ill depending on how you use it.) It is possible to recruit nearly any NPC into your group, and it is equally possible for nearly any NPC to leave your group. NPC's do have their own objectives and sets of morals, and may or may not do as you tell them to do, depending on how much they like or dislike you, and who they are as a person. If you recruit large numbers of NPC's to your group, they will typically assign a leader to speak for them--that way, you simply tell an entire group what to do by telling their leader what to do. You can romance NPC's, or kill NPC's, or dismiss NPC's. NPC's have their own skill sets, similar to yours, though they often specialize at one task and are woefully inadequate at others.

Finally, NPC's become more (or subsequently less) important, based on how much players interact with them and need them. Remember that any NPC, no matter how basic, can become more intricate and complicated based on how much you interact with them.

Players will start divided into two small groups in each section of the city--North, and East. That is, two groups north, two groups east. It's very likely that both groups will encounter each other on the way to Central City, and the liaison officer for your group may even instruct your group to intercept another player group before you reach Central City. Characters who are approved after this will be assigned a group and given a brief piece of information on how they got there.

Collaborations are a great tool to have quick conversations! Just remember that posts come every two weeks, so whatever you collaborate on with other players, should be finished by then. If you don't know what a collaboration is, ask in the OOC and someone experienced in it (such as myself) will give an example.

In combat, remember:
  • Cover is your best friend.
  • Teamwork gets the job done better, faster, and usually safer. Whether that's by combining firepower, providing covering fire, keeping your weapon reserved to attack anyone attacking your allies, or something more advanced than that, is up to you.
  • Firing your gun is more accurate if you stand still. Doubly so if it's a two handed weapon or a weapon with a lot of recoil.
  • A "round" is defined by each GM post. The first GM post is round 1, the second GM post is round 2, et cetera. During combat, each round lasts only a few seconds. Outside of combat, rounds can last as long as necessary, though in high tension areas, it's generally recommended to avoid doing tasks that take longer than a few minutes, or you'll likely get ambushed.
  • The more actions you take per round in combat, the more likely you are to fail them. Explained in greater detail here under the "ADHD" entry.
  • Combat starts and ends fairly quickly, as only one or two hits can do in even the strongest of fighters if it penetrates their armour. This applies both to the enemy, and to you, though injuries will usually be more prevalent for you than the enemy so long as you're not hit by something that generally only scores one hit kills.
  • Combat is dangerous. The more you engage in it, the more likely your character is to get killed. Retreat is always an option, take it if you're badly outnumbered or outgunned. NPC's will likely fold if they believe that their deaths are imminent and unavoidable.

If your character dies, you'll be free to make a new character and will be allowed to join again at the soonest available opportunity. (Basically, anytime there isn't a battle going on.) Try to avoid making a pile of dead Bards though. :zombies:

Finally, if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!

Just a list of acronyms and the like. Will be updated as more appear.
Universal Terms

NAT: No Action Taken this round. For the round that a new player is introduced, this is normal. Failing to act in the story repeatedly will get you warned and eventually removed from the RP. I don't like being that guy though, so please don't force me to do so. :sunglasses:
Pinned: Character is pinned. They generally will have to struggle free, or else be knocked out or killed by the target pinning them. Strength is the prevailing trait here, though agility can play a factor.

NPC Terms

Independent: NPC is acting of their own accord.
Under Orders: NPC is doing what a player has told them to do, overriding what they would normally do. (If confronted with multiple orders, they'll generally execute the ones that make the most sense to them at the time, unless they value loyalty over common sense.)
Leader: NPC is the leader of a larger group. (Ex: Militia Sergeant.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

North Bellsford, Super-Centre: Currently in a high-tension area, hostiles nearby.

Morgan: Helping Phillipe out of his pod.

North Bellsford, Zinc Road: In the midst of an evacuating crowd, danger in the distance.

Nikolai: Calling for volunteers to help him.

East Bellsford, Red Line: In the midst of attempting to restart the subway system.

Berry Wilson Jones: Issuing orders and taking command of the situation.

East Bellsford, Convoy #4: Fell behind and is attempting to reach Red Line.

Ralph: Looking for volunteers to help guide civilians inside the subway station once they get there.

Additional NPC information is coming up shortly. I just need to format and fill out the NPC sheets, which shouldn't take too long. Other surprises coming up soon as well. Additional CS reviews tomorrow.

Next GM IC Post will go up Saturday the 15th!

Last edited:
@Aliceee Just a heads up, Prosper is just going to default to Leonie's judgement so I am going to wait for you to post first.

@Brovo

For those of us not currently approved, will we be introduced first round or will we be waiting until the second round to join, assuming we're approved?

About how many people are in the subway station waiting for the next train? (Red Line)

Status
Not open for further replies.