Closing Open Registration on January 15th

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am glad I am already here, haha.
You guys have been doing a great job with the site and I can trust you to do what is best for it. Good luck and all the best.

Making a list.
Checking it twice.

Or three times. Maybe four.

Either way. I'm making a list.

Well, we don't intend to kick anybody out. XD But people naturally fade and leave over time. So EVENTUALLY with a little bit of monitoring and adjusting of when/how we allow registrations, numbers will level out to a place we are comfortable!
Does this mean if someone becomes inactive, even if it's against their wishes, that there's a chance that they'd get their account deleted and thus, no longer to EVER get back on the site?

I'm sorry, but I lost internet in June, got it back in November, and lost it in December due to payment issues, I just got it back earlier this week. As you can see, there's always a chance that I will lose internet and be unable to log on or reply to RPs, though this site is the only one I really miss when I lose internet.

I'd really like confirmation that, should I somehow lose internet and become unable to pay to get it back for a few months, that I will be able to come back without having to scour for someone to send me an invite.

Does this mean if someone becomes inactive, even if it's against their wishes, that there's a chance that they'd get their account deleted and thus, no longer to EVER get back on the site?

I'm sorry, but I lost internet in June, got it back in November, and lost it in December due to payment issues, I just got it back earlier this week. As you can see, there's always a chance that I will lose internet and be unable to log on or reply to RPs, though this site is the only one I really miss when I lose internet.

I'd really like confirmation that, should I somehow lose internet and become unable to pay to get it back for a few months, that I will be able to come back without having to scour for someone to send me an invite.
Accounts don't get deleted for inactivity unless they've been inactive for more than a year. A few months should be no problem.

Accounts don't get deleted for inactivity unless they've been inactive for more than a year. A few months should be no problem.
Yeah but there's always a chance that I could lose the ability to pay for internet for an extended amount of time. And it's not like I could just pop in on my phone, comment on something, and problem solved. Because the "Inactive" member status doesn't go away until you're active for at least a couple days. I got my internet back on wednesday and my inactive status didn't go away until this morning.

Yeah but there's always a chance that I could lose the ability to pay for internet for an extended amount of time. And it's not like I could just pop in on my phone, comment on something, and problem solved. Because the "Inactive" member status doesn't go away until you're active for at least a couple days. I got my internet back on wednesday and my inactive status didn't go away until this morning.
I'm pretty sure you're bumped from inactive up to lurker status the moment you log in. They're two different groups and it's hard to tell the difference since the name colors are just different shades of grey. Inactive means no logging in at all for a certain time period, lurker means you've logged in but not posted much in public areas. I don't know what the exact numbers and thresholds are, and I recall seeing something in the Help Desk area a while ago about it taking some time for lurker status to be removed even with high activity, so it's hard to say for sure what happened in your case. @Diana should be able to give more solid info about the exact mechanics of inactivity/lurker and how they work with account deletion and such.

I'm pretty sure you're bumped from inactive up to lurker status the moment you log in. They're two different groups and it's hard to tell the difference since the name colors are just different shades of grey. Inactive means no logging in at all for a certain time period, lurker means you've logged in but not posted much in public areas. I don't know what the exact numbers and thresholds are, and I recall seeing something in the Help Desk area a while ago about it taking some time for lurker status to be removed even with high activity, so it's hard to say for sure what happened in your case. @Diana should be able to give more solid info about the exact mechanics of inactivity/lurker and how they work with account deletion and such.
Well my point is, if I lose internet, I won't always be able to stay active. Instead of deleting accounts, I think they should just be put on standby or something similar, and users whose account are put on standby should get a re-activation code sent to their E-mail, sent under high-priority, so they can come back if they've been inactive. This would solve any grievances.

I don't know why we still let people even comment on these things sometimes. D:<
Well my point is, if I lose internet, I won't always be able to stay active. Instead of deleting accounts, I think they should just be put on standby or something similar, and users whose account are put on standby should get a re-activation code sent to their E-mail, sent under high-priority, so they can come back if they've been inactive. This would solve any grievances.

Jorick pretty much explained how inactive stuff works spot on. As for this suggestion, it's a personal management reason on why we don't keep accounts forever. I don't like having thousands of dead accounts just sitting there, and it frees up ancient user names for new active people. (plus it's easier when doing up statistics, and when updating the datebase and other crap.) It really is RARE AS HELL for someone to go inactive for that long and then decide to come back, so it's not worth keeping dead accounts for those few people.

There WILL be ways you can get reregistered even after the site closes. Hell, if you're desperate (like you have no current iwaku friends and have no idea when the next open registration is), you can always use the contact form and someone on staff can send you an invite link. o__o You would not be locked out forever.

Reactions: Squee
I don't know why we still let people even comment on these things sometimes. D:<

Jorick pretty much explained how inactive stuff works spot on. As for this suggestion, it's a personal management reason on why we don't keep accounts forever. I don't like having thousands of dead accounts just sitting there, and it frees up ancient user names for new active people. (plus it's easier when doing up statistics, and when updating the datebase and other crap.) It really is RARE AS HELL for someone to go inactive for that long and then decide to come back, so it's not worth keeping dead accounts for those few people.

There WILL be ways you can get reregistered even after the site closes. Hell, if you're desperate (like you have no current iwaku friends and have no idea when the next open registration is), you can always use the contact form and someone on staff can send you an invite link. o__o You would not be locked out forever.
Alright

I totally think this is a good idea! ^______^ *highfives Sister-face and staff!*

Reactions: Beta
Now I'm imagining all the people that want to join Iwaku after January 15th be like:
ns3w0wstxcj962ydiu5scsxipnwtjmsojzkimevtyyfdkrpgdd0yvp1rsstrq8wy.gif

I am very firmly against this idea, but there really is no argument I can make that will undo this...I just thing 2500 is hardly enough to get 10 interesting roleplays per genre when you run the numbers.
mate, I call bull. everyone has their on idea of what interesting is. Your's just seems to be very specific and besides as they said open registration dates and invites will be a thing. So the "interesting ideas" will be slow, they'll come. at any rate if it keeps the site running, i'm cool with it. It's temp nyway, right?

• Thank You
Reactions: Hana and Beta
Not generic = specific? Ok. I mean, currently I'm looking for something specific, but I do look at something I don't personally want to participate in and think it's interesting. Not looking to join and thinking it's interesting are two different things.

Last edited:
We should build a wall around the forum, and then make the outsiders pay for it.

Kwxvzlf.jpg

(/s)
{Magic casting gets twitchy} that face....

This is bad. Very, very bad. So bad. Never try drinking water after eating several mints. It's awful. My throat ;_;

As for the topic, yeah sure. It's not like people will complain and PM the staff/admins about it even after a topic is made, right? Haha...hahaha..ha.

*Flips Table*

At first I was worried about lurkers like myself who come back now and then to check up on the status of things and maybe dip their toes into an RP or two, but then I actually read the thread and my fears were quelled. You do you, Iwaku; I'll always be in the misty woods behind the castle, watching.

We should build a wall around the forum, and then make the outsiders pay for it.

Kwxvzlf.jpg

(/s)

This is beautiful. Thank you. Let's make Iwaku great again.

Status
Not open for further replies.