[CLOSED!] Sailing in the Stars: The Beginning [OOC/Sign-Ups]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reply read and understood. Thank you for the information. Will take some time to attempt to compose a character sheet and present it before the in-character thread kicks off.

Reply read and understood. Thank you for the information. Will take some time to attempt to compose a character sheet and present it before the in-character thread kicks off.
You've got time. Starting up on Wednesday and even then, getting everyone together on the ship isnt a quick process.

You've got time. Starting up on Wednesday and even then, getting everyone together on the ship isnt a quick process.
Wednesday is the start? That sounds very nice, can't wait :)

So I've been doing too much looking into sound waves so I have some material for Feng when it comes to weaponizing them. Besides some cool
Sci-fi shit I have planned I did manage to make myself have a mild auditory fueled visual hallucination just a minute ago so I can't wait to translate that into something heavier in the RP

So I've been doing too much looking into sound waves so I have some material for Feng when it comes to weaponizing them. Besides some cool
Sci-fi shit I have planned I did manage to make myself have a mild auditory fueled visual hallucination just a minute ago so I can't wait to translate that into something heavier in the RP
Sounds pretty tight

I downloaded Elder Scrolls II, Daggerfall, and it's hard.

Sounds pretty tight
Science, yo. It's pretty easy to do, get an app or something that'll play a low frequency tone at 18-19Hz and turn the volume all the way up through like a car sound system and bam.

I downloaded Elder Scrolls II, Daggerfall, and it's hard.
Aw yiss, you gotta mess with the interface a lot but once you get it how you like it's pretty sweet but yeah shit's rough.

Milos
Name: Miłosz Majewski (Spelled simply as Milos)
Species: Human
Appearance: Milos is naturally a large man. He is tall and broad-shouldered, and looks like he may still be carrying some baby fat. His hair is black and usually slicked back. He sports a short beard, which is usually untrimmed and messy. His skin is naturally tan, indicating a mixed heritage. He usually sports some jewelry, mostly trophies from past scams. Something like this.
Position Applying For: Linguist/Alien Cultural Analyst
Personality: Milos is a con man, first and foremost. He will trick and trade you out of your last dime if you let him. He is a slick talker and somewhat of a womanizer. He loves his mother (but don't tell anyone), and he generally has a very easy-going attitude. He can be fairly childish and can annoy people with his jokes.

History: Milos and his mother can trace their roots back to several Romani people who lived in Poland, back on Earth. A few generations ago, a small group of the gypsies stowed away on a transport vessel leaving Earth, and eventually got off on one of the largest interstellar trading stations and civilian centers in the galaxy. This particular station is called the "Junkhub" by most, because of its reputation for knock-offs, black market dealing, and the place to sell (or buy) stolen goods. Any fathomable object, animal or (very occasionally) person could be bought on the Junkhub, if the price was right. The only thing that could vary was the quality, of course. Milos' ancestors took up residence on the Junkhub and began taking menial jobs to stay alive. They were 'affectionately' labelled "Shipsies" by the native population, and were known by their willingness to do any job required, as well as their aptitude to quickly learn visiting aliens' language and take advantage of them.

Milos himself is third generation shipsy, and has always been the most eager to part strangers from their hard earned money. He grew up with no formal education but instead talked with people doing business on the Junkhub as often as he could. He's learn their stories, pick up on their language, and eventually con them out of some money by selling them some phony shipsy herbal medicine or dress up in traditional garb and read their fortunes. He, like every other shipsy, would take odd jobs involving repairing machinery and cleaning out air vents of dead vermin.

When Milos was 18, he had no grand plans. He liked his life, and enjoyed the challenge of a neverending supply of exotic foreigners to con. That was when he started talking to one particular man, an alien whose race he had come across a few times in his life. Milos marked his species as particularly gullible, so he took note to learn the language. Milos spoke to the alien at a near-fluent level. Turns out the alien was a recruiter for a very prestigious university. A few months later, Milos was enrolled with a full scholarship. He studied Xenolinguistics and Interstellar Relations, earning surprisingly good marks. Milos was surrounded by people who wanted to make a difference in the world. Milos mostly just wanted to expand his scamming ability. For a while after graduating he explored the galaxy, practicing conning people out of varying amounts of money. Eventually, he returned to Junkhub to care for his mother.

Strengths: Knows a variety of alien languages, familiar with many nuances of different cultures, very persuasive, can repair low-tech equipment, can blend into a crowd, can always barter a better deal
Weaknesses: Something of a kleptomaniac, would find it hard to resist taking advantage of a situation to make some money, prone to bursts of anger, always a background chance (slim, probably) he might just up and leave one day, taking the ship with him

##WARNING!: All fields marked with (*) MUST be filled in or your application could be rejected!
##APPLICANT SIGNATURE!:
I, the undersigned, hereby state that all information filled in above is truthful and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that false information could lead to my immediate disqualification of employment and acknowledge that I am not allowed to pursue legal action against Belarus Enterprises as such.
Signature: Milos Majewski Date: 10/04/2617

Apollonia
Name: Apollonia Majewski
Appearance: Something like this
Position Applying For: Mess Officer (Chef), Janitor, Lounge Singer of traditional music of her people (Self-Appointed Role), Negotiator (For trades)
Personality: Manipulative, Aggressive, Motherly, Bossy
History: Also a shipsy aboard the Junkhub, Apollonia was always struggling to survive. She could never con a man like Milos... she would always anger and try to hit them with her purse if they didn't immediately fall for the con. She always stuck to honest work. Apollonia was married for most of her life and had a total of nine sons and daughters. Eventually, they all left her to explore life outside the Junkhub. Apollonia never followed, as she was not ambitious. She never was. She never had a problem with life on the Junkhub.

After her last child left the Junkhub, Apollonia only had her husband to help her. More and more shipsies were leaving, preferring exploring the galaxy compared to staying on one station. More of the older shipsies were dying off, until only Apollonia was left. Even her children began to cut contact with her. Some gradually, some abruptly, possibly signalling a tragic end to their desire for adventure. She was alone for a few years before Milos, her youngest child, returned in search of her. She expressed her anger at him by giving him a good beating, as is her way, but she would not have lasted much longer without Milos. It was not long after that Milos decided to sign on to this new exploration contract, but Apollonia wouldn't let Milos leave her alone, so Milos made her sign up as well. Apollonia's first steps off of the Junkhub was on the transport shuttle to the Belarus.

Strengths: Cleaning, cooking, coercion, singing (so she claims), blending into a crowd. Apollonia also has a basic understanding of many different languages due to being raised on the Junkhub. She is perhaps the best barterer the Shipsies have ever known.
Weaknesses: Very quick to anger, prone to beating those she disagrees with, reliant on Milos as a guardian, occasionally has a fault memory, physically weak (except for her beating arm)
Other: N/A
##WARNING!: All fields marked with (*) MUST be filled in or your application could be rejected!
##APPLICANT SIGNATURE!:
I, the undersigned, hereby state that all information filled in above is truthful and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that false information could lead to my immediate disqualification of employment and acknowledge that I am not allowed to pursue legal action against Belarus Enterprises as such.
Signature: Apollonia Majewski Date: 10/04/2617

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Azathoth
Milos
Name: Miłosz Majewski (Spelled simply as Milos)
Appearance: Milos is naturally a large man. He is tall and broad-shouldered, and looks like he may still be carrying some baby fat. His hair is black and usually slicked back. He sports a short beard, which is usually untrimmed and messy. His skin is naturally tan, indicating a mixed heritage. He usually sports some jewelry, mostly trophies from past scams. Something like this.
Position Applying For: Linguist/Alien Cultural Analyst
Personality: Milos is a con man, first and foremost. He will trick and trade you out of your last dime if you let him. He is a slick talker and somewhat of a womanizer. He loves his mother (but don't tell anyone), and he generally has a very easy-going attitude. He can be fairly childish and can annoy people with his jokes.

History: Milos and his mother can trace their roots back to several Romani people who lived in Poland, back on Earth. A few generations ago, a small group of the gypsies stowed away on a transport vessel leaving Earth, and eventually got off on one of the largest interstellar trading stations and civilian centers in the galaxy. This particular station is called the "Junkhub" by most, because of its reputation for knock-offs, black market dealing, and the place to sell (or buy) stolen goods. Any fathomable object, animal or (very occasionally) person could be bought on the Junkhub, if the price was right. The only thing that could vary was the quality, of course. Milos' ancestors took up residence on the Junkhub and began taking menial jobs to stay alive. They were 'affectionately' labelled "Shipsies" by the native population, and were known by their willingness to do any job required, as well as their aptitude to quickly learn visiting aliens' language and take advantage of them.

Milos himself is third generation shipsy, and has always been the most eager to part strangers from their hard earned money. He grew up with no formal education but instead talked with people doing business on the Junkhub as often as he could. He's learn their stories, pick up on their language, and eventually con them out of some money by selling them some phony shipsy herbal medicine or dress up in traditional garb and read their fortunes. He, like every other shipsy, would take odd jobs involving repairing machinery and cleaning out air vents of dead vermin.

When Milos was 18, he had no grand plans. He liked his life, and enjoyed the challenge of a neverending supply of exotic foreigners to con. That was when he started talking to one particular man, an alien whose race he had come across a few times in his life. Milos marked his species as particularly gullible, so he took note to learn the language. Milos spoke to the alien at a near-fluent level. Turns out the alien was a recruiter for a very prestigious university. A few months later, Milos was enrolled with a full scholarship. He studied Xenolinguistics and Interstellar Relations, earning surprisingly good marks. Milos was surrounded by people who wanted to make a difference in the world. Milos mostly just wanted to expand his scamming ability. For a while after graduating he explored the galaxy, practicing conning people out of varying amounts of money. Eventually, he returned to Junkhub to care for his mother.

Strengths: Knows a variety of alien languages, familiar with many nuances of different cultures, very persuasive, can repair low-tech equipment, can blend into a crowd, can always barter a better deal
Weaknesses: Something of a kleptomaniac, would find it hard to resist taking advantage of a situation to make some money, prone to bursts of anger, always a background chance (slim, probably) he might just up and leave one day, taking the ship with him

##APPLICANT SIGNATURE!:
Signature: Milos Majewski Date: 10/04/2617

Apollonia
Name: Apollonia Majewski
Appearance: Something like this
Position Applying For: Mess Officer (Chef), Janitor, Lounge Singer of traditional music of her people (Self-Appointed Role), Negotiator (For trades)
Personality: Manipulative, Aggressive, Motherly, Bossy
History: Also a shipsy aboard the Junkhub, Apollonia was always struggling to survive. She could never con a man like Milos... she would always anger and try to hit them with her purse if they didn't immediately fall for the con. She always stuck to honest work. Apollonia was married for most of her life and had a total of nine sons and daughters. Eventually, they all left her to explore life outside the Junkhub. Apollonia never followed, as she was not ambitious. She never was. She never had a problem with life on the Junkhub.

After her last child left the Junkhub, Apollonia only had her husband to help her. More and more shipsies were leaving, preferring exploring the galaxy compared to staying on one station. More of the older shipsies were dying off, until only Apollonia was left. Even her children began to cut contact with her. Some gradually, some abruptly, possibly signalling a tragic end to their desire for adventure. She was alone for a few years before Milos, her youngest child, returned in search of her. She expressed her anger at him by giving him a good beating, as is her way, but she would not have lasted much longer without Milos. It was not long after that Milos decided to sign on to this new exploration contract, but Apollonia wouldn't let Milos leave her alone, so Milos made her sign up as well. Apollonia's first steps off of the Junkhub was on the transport shuttle to the Belarus.

Strengths: Cleaning, cooking, coercion, singing (so she claims), blending into a crowd. Apollonia also has a basic understanding of many different languages due to being raised on the Junkhub. She is perhaps the best barterer the Shipsies have ever known.
Weaknesses: Very quick to anger, prone to beating those she disagrees with, reliant on Milos as a guardian, occasionally has a fault memory, physically weak (except for her beating arm)
Other: N/A
##APPLICANT SIGNATURE!:
Signature: Apollonia Majewski Date: 10/04/2617
>except for her beating arm
>might slip up and take the ship

That is going to be interesting. I like. Welcome to the crew.

Has anyone here read Ubik by Philip Dick? I ordered it yestereve and I am looking forward to the read. Reviews are good and the concept is something I quite like. This thing has been on my wishlist for a while but now I ordered it and it coincidentally ties in with this game in genre.

Has anyone here read Ubik by Philip Dick? I ordered it yestereve and I am looking forward to the read. Reviews are good and the concept is something I quite like. This thing has been on my wishlist for a while but now I ordered it and it coincidentally ties in with this game in genre.

Implying I know how to read.

I've heard of it but don't know much about it. I've been reading Masters of Doom which is pretty sick if you're into the original DOOM and video games in general.

Which I'm too distracted to read because Monster Hunter.

Appearance:

Name: Marcus Holland

Position Applying For: Engineer

Personality: Respectful, adventurous, smart, witty, slightly introverted

History: Marcus practically grew up in his fathers mechanic shop, and learned all about machinery from him. Being naturally good with machines, he managed to build his own hoverbike from spare parts, and to this day continues on improving the design. He has always had a sense of adventure, and when he heard of the job, he immediately applied, hoping to finally get to go on the adventure he had always dreamed of.
Strengths:
Great with machinery (building/repairing), physically strong, generally well mannered, loyal.

Weaknesses: Slightly introverted so he doesnt like big crowds, is picky about people who try and help him with the machines, can be very sarcastic without meaning to be.

Other:You'll know he enjoys your company if he offers you a cigarette.

##APPLICANT SIGNATURE!:
Signature: _Marcus Holland_ Date: _9/27/2617__

Appearance:

Name: Marcus Holland

Position Applying For: Engineer

Personality: Respectful, adventurous, smart, witty, slightly introverted

History: Marcus practically grew up in his fathers mechanic shop, and learned all about machinery from him. Being naturally good with machines, he managed to build his own hoverbike from spare parts, and to this day continues on improving the design. He has always had a sense of adventure, and when he heard of the job, he immediately applied, hoping to finally get to go on the adventure he had always dreamed of.
Strengths:
Great with machinery (building/repairing), physically strong, generally well mannered, loyal.

Weaknesses: Slightly introverted so he doesnt like big crowds, is picky about people who try and help him with the machines, can be very sarcastic without meaning to be.

Other:You'll know he enjoys your company if he offers you a cigarette.

##APPLICANT SIGNATURE!:
Signature: _Marcus Holland_ Date: _9/27/2617__
Welcome back to the party, Prof.

Ghato Maek

sUIontu.jpg

Pictured: Ghato with his eyes closed. Don't you just hate blinking during pictures?

Name: Ghato Maek

Age: 55 (Equivalent to late 30's/early 40's in human years.)

Species: Mutrarian. Mutrarian skin is leathery, but most of their body is covered in plates of cartilage-like material, including their faces, backs, chests, forearms, as well as other nooks and crannies. Their skin color caries from grey to brown, with a few rare individuals with mottled patches of color. The plates on their bodies feel dense like bone, but their biological components put them closer to cartilage than actual bone. Pieces that chip off these plates grow back in a few years if the chip is small enough, and leave imperfections on the surface if the damage is big enough. Mutrarians have a significantly slower metabolism and their bodies can go without food for up to a month. Mutrarian culture features a weekly meal that is shared with one's family members or close friends called the Leeket (word significance puts it somewhere at "The Shared Meal" in English; although it literally translates to "moment sharing"). While some consider this old fashioned and simply eat when hungry, many still practice this weekly family meal. Mutrarians still need to drink regularly, and a lot of their businesses seek to profit from making flavored drinks. They have a lot of drinks on the market. Mutrarians cannot eat wheat or grains and will become sick if they do; this was discovered after human food began to appear in the galactic marketplace and Mutrarian customers suffered from upset stomachs after eating things like cereal and oatmeal. Several had to be hospitalized, although no one was seriously hurt. Mutrarian culture is particularly proud of naval prowess and its navy, making positions in their Star Naval Fleet an honor. Admirals and Captains are seen as role models for many young Mutrarians, both male and female. Mutrarians are also known for their massive shipyards and many of the largest star-ship manufacturers are owned by Mutrarians.

Fun Fact: After a Mutrarian serial killer stole and cannibalized unhatched eggs from Mutrarian homes a few decades ago, a derogatory remark towards Mutrarians is that they eat their young. While this is completely untrue, news of this individual's crime became viral and less pleasant individuals held it against the species as a whole. Every race has its sickos, but one of theirs became popular news. The killer was sentenced to life in prison and authorities had no comment regarding the state of the families who'd lost their soon-to-be children.

Appearance: Like most Mutrarians, Ghato has white plates covering several parts of his body. His skin is grey, a somewhat common color and his eyes are a pale blue. He stands at about 6'9" which is slightly above average for a male of his species. His covering plates have a few rough spots from either age or past wear-and-tear, although he's in good shape overall. He has three fingers and a thumb on eat hand (the usual for his kind) and Mutrarian legs end in four short claws; two facing forward, two facing back. Obviously, their footwear accommodates this.

Position Applying For: Chief of Security/Security Officer

Personality: Ghato is experienced and to some, fatherly. While not incredibly old, he's seen his fair share throughout his years and tries to be a good person to those he meets. He's very work-oriented, but a lot less than he used to be, having once developed an unhealthy case of cop-dedication. He's mellowed out now, but thankfully hasn't lost his touch. He takes his job seriously, but isn't against getting to know those he works with. In fact, he prefers it, since these are the people he will either be protecting or trusting to watch his back. He's levelheaded and often quite cheerful. He can be very chatty when the situation allows it. He will, however, become very stern when he feels the situation is calling for it. He's usually very accepting of people, but he can go from being the good friend to the lecturing father when he feels that someone needs to shape up. While this may obviously come off as hostile, it hides a more caring side towards others to the point that he feels he needs to get them to better themselves. It takes quite a lot to get him to give one his "You're better than this," speeches, since he can usually wave off a lot of things in his mellow age. Although it may indeed be a good sign, since a lecture is an alternative to just arresting them. It's because he cares; he could just cuff you. Either way, he's good at talking to people.

Back Story: Ghato was born on one of the Mutrarian colonies in the Erufnia system. When he was old enough, he joined up with the Navy like many Mutrarians do and had a lengthy, uneventful military career besides a few skirmishes and a small pirate vessel or two that needed arresting. He achieved the rank of Bow Captain (equivalent to Petty Officer 2nd Class in human naval ranking systems, which is four ranks above recruit e.g. a minor but respectable rank). Afterwards, Ghato went to live in one of the larger systems and became a security officer.

He lived and worked in a city that served as a political and business hub which meant that species from all corners of the known universe gathered and lived in this city. From its slums to its high estates, he worked as an officer dealing with everything from lost pets to drug runners. Because of this, he was exposed to and learned the mannerisms and quirks of many different species. While not an expert in the cultures of others, he knows the practical things like the fact that Bograns become insulted if spoken to indirectly (use "did you" instead of "did anyone"); the fact that Elchrack are best questioned away from their peers due to minor telepathic communication in the species; and that a human handshake may be seen as a threat by the Heetan, which will make them less likely to cooperate, even if they know you didn't mean it. All these little things became necessary knowledge when each district in the city featured a different race, if it didn't have already them all living next to each other.

After hearing about a voyage that needed hands (or tentacles, or claws, or digits) he decided to join up and see more of the universe. While he was happy with his life as an officer of the law, he couldn't deny that he wanted to see the universe one more time before he was too old to do it. He signed up, made sure to mention his extensive experience in security and military affairs.
Ghato is married (Mutrarian marriage is a little different in detail, but its the same idea) and has two sons. One of them is serving in the Navy like he did and the other is studying in a university geared towards spaceship engineering. His wife passed away a decade ago due to disease and he has since come to terms with it. He is very proud of both of his sons.

Strengths: Good at his job, very caring towards other personnel, experience working with other species, and at least three decades of experience in military and security operations.

Weaknesses: Hesitates when it comes to using violence against others (he can pull the trigger if he has to, but he doesn't like it), getting old, and can't eat cereal.

Other: Ghato isn't above showing off pictures of his kids to people. He has one in particular of his two sons in little Navy uniforms. The older son would be about 8 in human years and his younger was just learning to walk. Yeah, he's a baby picture dad.

##APPLICANT SIGNATURE!:
Signature: Ghato Maek Date:09/29/2617

Last edited:
Oookay, there's mine. Let me know if it needs to be changed in any way. I'm always open to suggestions.

I'm pretty sure at least one anti-social Mutrarian committed suicide after learning that he couldn't Fruit Loops without explosive diarrhea.

Originally their species was going to be super warlike and have a brutal society (so pretty much Space Russians), but it felt tasteless and bland. I like Navy dad aliens better. Sorry, Space Russians.

"You see Dkitri, cannot be of trusting to eggs, for fear of explosion."

Status
Not open for further replies.