Client 0013897

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riley was worried about that last line. "I don't want you to be all mine. You are your own. I can't control my own mind, much less one as sharp as yours." Although the tone wa joking, Riley stared into Aspen's eyes as he said it, emphasizing the complete belief in the idea.

Aspen grinned. "Alright, I rephrase. I'll hang around with you instead of the popular kids. Now, take me out of these woods before my phobia comes back, please."

A playful smile danced across Riley's face and he visibly contemplated something. "But, if your phobia comes back, then we wil have to do this agin. And wouldn't that just be terrible."

Aspen smiled flirtatiously. She put her hands on his chest and smiled up at him. She was so short compared to him. "No it wouldn't be so bad, but for now, you might want to get me home before my mom sends out a search party."

"You're probably right. She's already digging through my head." He stepped away, held out his hand to her, and led her back to the school. When they were standing back underneath the concrete porch, Riley stepped close to her, touching her face, and looked deep into her eyes, he moved closer, and barely, softly grazed his lips on her cheek.

Then he stepped back, smiled at her, an extremely rare and full smile. Then turned and walked away.

ASPENCARSTAIRS
With the kiss lingering on her cheek and his smile stuck in her mind, Aspen walked home. When she walked through the door, Lewis, her father and younger sisters, Kylie and Baylee, sat on the sofa, their eyes transfixed on The Simpsons. Aspen walked into the kitchen, where Bethany iced a cake.

"Hi Mom," said Aspen, sitting at the bench. "The cake looks great."

"Thanks, honey," said Bethany. "Where were you?"

"I was out with a friend," said Aspen. She took her phone out and turned on the voice recorder. Before Bethany could inquire as to which friend, Aspen asked, "Mom, can I ask you a question?"

"You just did."

"Ha ha, funny. Well, Mom, I met one of your patients at school."

"Which one?"

"Riley Stonewright."

"Oh." Bethany nodded. "Yes, Riley. What about him?"

"Well, he seems nice, but kind of distant. I was wondering ... from a psychological point of view ... "

"Aspen, I can't give you any major details," Bethany sighed. "But, well, let's just say that the doctors who had him before me misdiagnosed him. They decided he's a sociopath; I think he's a very damaged, upset boy, I don't know why. But this horrible misdiagnosis has affected his thinking. He actually thinks he's crazy. What the doctors have said may have made him think terrible things. It's sad, really."

"So he's not dangerous?"

"Of course not," said Bethany. "If he was, I'd have sent him to a psych ward, Aspen, you know me."

"Thanks, Mom," said Aspen, stopping and saving the recording. "Love you."

~~~

Monday came, and Aspen was excited to go to school as herself.

Instead of the frilly feminine clothes she usually wore, Aspen dressed herself in her favourite Nirvana T-shirt, one with the band's name standing out in bolded black against the pink cloud print of the shirt. She wore black skinny jeans and her black leather jacket, and slipped on pink combat boots. Aspen actually wore her glasses, her thick black Ray Bans, and left her curly blonde hair flowing. She also slid in her silver nose piercing.

Aspen filled her bag with Nietzsche, Harry Potter and a Perks poster, which she was going to hang up in her locker. Her parents and the little girls were gone; Lewis alone looked her over and nodded once before driving the two teenagers to school with Metallica playing on the radio.

When they arrived, Aspen saw Riley sitting at the same table as Friday; she walked up to him, beaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Riley walked home, a strange warmth filled him. He found himself smiling at nothing in particular and it was very peculiar to him to be doing so. He knew it had to be Aspen, her twinkling eyes and wide smiles were infectious. It wasn't until he got within sight of his house that reality came crashing back into him like a black wave.

His father's car was in the driveway. And his mother's.

The yelling could be heard twenty yards from the front door. Riley slowly moved closer and peaked in the dining room (really just a kitchenette with a murphy bed-style table) window. His father, average height but with the build and green ink covered flesh of someone who has already spent time in prison and isn't afraid of going back, had his mother cornered in the living room. She, a smallish woman with pock marked skin and brittle hair, was not realising the superior position the man had her in. She was right up in his face, yelling and crying incomprehensibly.

Riley backed away from the house. It radiated anger and smelled of destroyed lives. He turned and ran deep into the woods behind his house. He ran until his legs burned and his lungs screamed and when he finally stopped he was at the tree that he and Aspen had sat in just a few hours earlier. Riley climbed up and lay against the trunk. He didn't sleep.

The sun rose over the trees in a beautiful array of colors and washed a warm, shining light over the misty forrest. But to Riley it beat down like a hammer on his shoulders as he walked to school much too early, not entering through the front but simply climbing up to the porch and collapsing on a table. He fell into a comatose sleep.

Awaking to the sound of the heavy cafeteria doors opening, Riley saw a girl in a dark leather jacket and black jeans walk up to him, smiling. He didn't recognize her until she was on the other side of the table. Aspen waved and smiled brightly, contrasting with the dark colors of her clothing. Riley raised a hand in answer to the wave and resented the questions he knew were coming. It wasn't that he didn't want her there, in fact he wanted her to sit beside him and smile away the night. He wished he could sleep and know she would be smiling at him when he woke up.

ASPEN CARSTAIRS
Aspen noticed how tired Riley appeared, and figured he wouldn't want to talk about it too much. She sat beside him, not so close they touched, but close enough. She smiled, pushing her glasses up her nose.

"Hey," she said softly. Very few people were at school; she had yet to see any of her popular classmates. Aspen wondered what they would say about her new appearance, but did not particularly care. "Are you alright? You look tired. Didn't sleep well?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Riley didn't say anything. If he had the energy he would ask her a great many things. What she thought of last night? Why the wardrobe change? What now? But he didn't have the energy. Riley knew she could tell something was off but he wasn't sure exactly what that was. He wasn't surprised that his mom and dad were fighting. He wasn't even surprised that his father showed up out of nowhere. He couldn't explain what he himself didn't understand.

Today is supposed to be Aspen's, he thought to himself. She's trying to release her self and I'm supposed to, I want to, help with that. Riley breathed in and out slowly and set aside his mental confusion, effectively wiping his expression clean in the process.

Trying to reassure her, Riley slid his hand over and touched hers, then quickly drew it back. He wasn't sure what Aspen wanted in the current setting.

ASPENCARSTAIRS
Aspen took his hand, even though he pulled his away. "You want some coffee or something? Coffee helps. Coffee is how I haven't failed school."

She would normally enact some Bethany-like counselling tactics, but he figured Riley wouldn't want to see his psychiatrist in his -- girlfriend? What was she?

Looking down at his hand in hers, Riley's mind was blank. "No thank you on the coffee. I need to pretty much inject pure caffeine before it affects me. Pretty high drug tolerance, painkillers and shit don't work."

He looked up and saw a bit of confusion in her eyes, looking back to their hands, "What are we? Do we go public? I've had a few girlfriends but little to no experience with...whatever this is."

ASPEN CARSTAIRS
Aspen cocked her head to the side, thinking while staring at their hands. "Well, I'd like nothing more than to go public ... but if you don't want to, then it's fine," she said.

What would the popular kids think? They would be confused and affronted by her clothes, glasses and piercing alone. But a new boyfriend? A social outcast boyfriend? They'd die of shock.

But Aspen didn't care at all. She didn't care what Bronwyn or Violet or Brooks thought of her anymore. She wasn't their Aspen. She was her own Aspen.

Riley was worried by the stutter in her voice, "I didn't say I didn't want to be open about our relationship. I just don't know what exactly you want our relationship to be."

He touched his forehead to her arm and squeezed her hand.

ASPEN CARSTAIRS
"I ... I just want to be with you." There was nothing but truth and sincerity in her voice. She meant it with all her heart.

Because she did. Brooks ... Brooks was nothing. Brooks was a shell, a pretty, polished shell that offered nothing but lies and Starbucks to her.

Her friends were the same. Sure, they had nice fashion senses, but she couldn't interact with them properly.

Sitting there, dressed like a grunge-hipster-introspective-nerd, Aspen wanted nothing but Riley.

Riley's smile was obscured by his head leaning on her shoulder. He mummered something along the lines of "you have me" but his words slurred together, his eyes heavy. He checked his watch and saw thirty minutes before he needed to be in first period.

Squeezing her hand once more he let his mind drop into the blissful, dreamless chasm of exhausted sleep.

ASPEN CARSTAIRS
Aspen smiled. She read The Deathly Hallows until five minutes before the bell, when she woke Riley up.

"Hey," she whispered. "Hey, you, wake up."

"Aspen?" said a voice. She looked up. "Aspen, what are you wearing?"

Bronwyn, Violet and another popular girl, Faith, stood on the other side of the table. They all wore knee-length skirts with flowy tank tops tucked into the waists. The same outfits with varying colours. Clones, sheep.

"Clothes," stated Aspen. "Skinny jeans, Nirvana shirt, leather jacket. What does it look like?"

"Why?" asked Bronwyn. "What's with this hipster stuff? Why the glasses?"

"So I can see, Bronwyn," sighed Aspen.

Riley awoke to Aspen and three other females talking rather loudly. Suppressing his annoyance but glad he wasn't the topic of conversation, he sat up slowly and began listening.

He smiled at Aspen's remark about the glasses. They say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but with Riley it was through sarcasm.

ASPEN CARSTAIRS
Bronwyn walked close to Aspen with a look of utter confusion and disgust on her face. "Aspen, what is this?" She looked at the Harry Potter book on the table. "What is that?"

"That would be a book, Bronwyn."

"Why do you have a book?"

"To read."

Bronwyn looked like she was about to gag. "Why have you suddenly gotten interested in books -- these clothes, oh my God. What even is a Nirvana?"

"Have you been living under a rock for the last half-century?" said Aspen incredulously. "They're only one of the best grunge bands in the history of music."

"What's grunge?"

Aspen rolled her eyes. "A musical genre."

Violet spoke for the first time. "Who's that?" She pointed at Riley.

"Violet, this is Riley, I believe you're in the same homeroom. And math class. And English." Aspen took Riley's hand, gently pulling him to his feet.

"So you're acting so freaky because of him?" snapped Bronwyn.

"I'm acting like myself," said Aspen. "I'm sick of pretending to be a clone of you, Bronwyn, I'm sick of acting like a Barbie. I want to be my own, intellectual, hipster-like self."

Bronwyn narrowed her eyes.

Riley smiled at Violet, reaching his hand to shake. "Hello, Violet isn't it? I'm Riley."

He could see the revolution on the other one's face and fought the urge to be...unsociable.

ASPEN CARSTAIRS
"Anyway," said Aspen, glaring at Violet for ignoring Riley. "We have to go. Bronwyn, have fun leading your pack of sheep, I'm done with you guys."

Aspen took Riley's hand again and walked with him. "Well, that went a lot better than I had expected," she said.

Status
Not open for further replies.