Client 0013897

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Riley neared the edge of his path through the woods and looked up to the table Aspen usually sat at. He was surprised to see a girl...oh shit it was Mack. Mack sat down at the table and Aspen said something to her. Deciding that he wanted to hang back and see how their meeting went, Riley stayed just inside the woods and watched Aspen's face.

"So. You and Riley?" The girl asked Aspen.

Aspen raised her eyebrows, closing her book. "Um ... What's that got to do with you?"

The girl shrugged. "Just curious."

"Okay." Aspen was getting freaked out by the weird smile on the girl's face. Did she have some history with Riley? She stood up and grabbed her bag, moving to walk away.

The girl shot out her hand and grabbed Aspen's upper arm before she could leave. "You didn't answer my question."

Riley stood up as Mack put her arm out. He felt a kick of some instinct and he gripped a tree trunk. Hard.

Aspen saw movement in the trees and sighted Riley, to her delight. She shook the girl's hand off her arm, looked into her eyes and said, "Yes, we're together."

Aspen then walked to Riley, draped her arms around his neck and kissed him once on the mouth, half to piss the girl off. "Any chance you know that girl?" she muttered into his ear.

Riley looked past Aspen to Mack. He stepped back from Aspen and, still looking at Mack, explained that that was an ex-girlfriend of his. "I used to date her. Well, if you could call it dating. I wasn't really there most of the time I was around her, or anyone really. I suppose you can guess what that's like and just add a few more degrees."

"She's...persistent. I doubt that is the last she'll talk to about us."

Aspen turned around to face the girl, who was glaring at her with a fiery rage. "If she comes up to me I fully intend to verbally destroy her, if that's alright with you," Aspen said to Riley. She took his hand and pressed his palm to her cheek.

Riley smiled, hoping that Aspen would refrain from doing as threatened in actuality. "If she keeps bothering you please just tell me. Or better yet, do nothing." Riley wanted to keep whatever MAck wanted out of her hands. He knew that she would match any intensity shown toward her twice over. If not thrice.

He touched Aspen's hand on his cheek, looking into her eyes for a moment, then kissing her forehead and began walking toward the school.

Aspen caught up to Riley and took his hand, holding it between both of her own as they walked to the school. "Okay. I'll tell you, I promise." It was nearly the weekend, and Aspen wondered what she would do. She was sick of her house.

"Hey," she said. "Have you seen the Harry Potter movies?"

"No, I always prefer Tolkien." Riley said as they entered the school.

"Hey, are you doing anything Saturday yet?" Riley was beginning to form an idea. He had really liked that night they went into the woods, plus, being alone with Aspen was calming, soft, basically the opposite of everything else. And he loved it. Wait... do you LOVE it? ...do you love her? What does that even mean?

"My Saturday is exceedingly free." Aspen's Saturdays were generally filled with reading or watching a scary movie. "Why? Did you want to do something?"

They passed Lewis as they walked into the school, who glared at them. Aspen narrowed her eyes at her brother as they passed.

"That's a secret." He said as he kissed her knuckles and went off to his first class.

First period, English. As he walked in, he kicked himself for forgetting who all was in his class. Mack glared at him from across the room as he sat down and Riley knew she had not let Aspen and him go by a long shot. Throughout class, he would lazily scan the room in his usual manner, only to inevitably meet Mack's eyes, fiery and probing. Riley found himself even more happy than usual to hear the dismissing bell.

Leaving the room quickly, he took the long way to his next class, hoping to clear his head of Mack's accusational look. For a long time, hell for the most part of their relationship, Riley had been in the depths of a sticky blackness that clawed at every emotion he felt. He was unresponsive to the few times Mack did ask about how anything other than his physicality was doing and the two of them were at odds because of it. She felt that he had melted out of her life since their breakup, that they were separate now. But in actuality, Riley had been separated from her, from everything for a long time.

It was only now, in Aspen's eyes, her touch, her breath on his neck, her lips on his, it was only now that he felt the twinges of real and lasting emotional variety in his heart. Where Mack was a bandaid to be physically reapplied every once in awhile; Aspen was like a defibrillator. Filling him with jolts of emotion until it filled his entire body. And by the end of the day, Riley caught himself smiling about his new heartbeat named Aspen. Riley Stonewright smiling, for no visible reason. That was not something you see everyday.

Unknown to Riley, he and Lewis were walking in different directions but both toward the same isolated corner of the school. They rounded the corner at the same time.

Aspen was seated at the table and was conflicted to see Lewis approaching her. She also saw Riley, which she was happy about, but she was apprehensive to see how they would interact.

Lewis got to her first. "Aspen, seriously, stop."

"Stop what?"

"Talking to this freak."

Aspen's eyes adopted a fiery glare and she cocked her head to the side. "He is not a freak," she hissed as Riley arrived. "Go away."

Riley heard Lewis's remarks as well as Aspen's pleas for him to leave, and while he wanted to keep Aspen as happy as possible, he was losing the energy needed to keep up with Lewis's hate thing.

"Lewis, I don't think she's going to stop talking to me anytime soon. I could be wrong however," he began calmly, "So can you and I talk? I'm afraid that I've missed why you so despise me."

He walked to the side of Aspen's table and pulled out a chair next to Aspen, offering it to Lewis. "If you'll indulge me?"

Aspen knew that Lewis was going to leave, so she glowered at him until he sat down. She had inherited Bethany's confrontation skills, Lewis knew all too well.

"I don't like you," began Lewis, "because my mom doesn't see people without a fucking reason and I think my love-stricken sister is too blinded to accept that."

"Don't swear," said Aspen heatedly. Riley never swore.

"Shut up," snapped Lewis.

Riley's jaw clenched for split second at Lewis's snap. "No no Aspen, he's right. I go to a psychologist. He's right to assume there is at least one thing in me that would warrant that." Riley said, again in a smooth and even tone. "Even more so, Lewis is right about early affection. It is often hard to know where the line between true emotional affection and thinly veiled lust lies. I've made the mistake of confusing them before, as I'm sure we all have."

"So Lewis, You aren't wrong. Actually you are making important points. yet I would ask you," looking directly at him, "why is what I am and what I feel a bad thing? What are you angry at, or, if you'll allow me to say it, afraid of?"

"What am I afraid of?" Lewis hissed. In that moment, he looked and sounded so much like his sister that Aspen herself was slightly taken aback. "I'm afraid that you'll lose your shit one day and hurt my sister. You already fucked up Brooks the other day -- if you can do that to the goddamn quarterback, what can you do to a hundred-pound girl?"

Aspen narrowed her eyes. She rarely got along with her brother properly but she was close to drawing the line of where she could handle his crap. She flicked her hair over her shoulder, crossed her arms and waited for Riley to reply. She felt quite surprised that Riley was agreeing with her brother.

Riley looked down and away. Lewis had hit a nerve that he too was afraid of. He was unsure of how he should proceed. On one hand, this conversation was a long time coming and it needed to be had. Lewis was important to Aspen and Riley didn't want to dodge him all the time. On the other, Riley wasn't used to exposing himself like this to people. It was hard enough with Aspen, Lewis was entirely different. Whereas Aspen saw. how he didn't understand, some good in him; Lewis saw what Riley was afraid his true self was.

"I..." riley began, less strong than before, "I don't want to hurt you, Aspen."

"I'm sorry about what I did to Brooks. I didn't plan on fighting with him and when it did happen, I didn't want it to continue. LEwis I doubt you'll believe me but I hope that Aspen's faith will be enough for you, I didn't start that. I didn't want to fight him. I didn't even attack him. His hand got broken when he punch a wall after I ducked. His eye was blackened when his momentum threw him farther than he wanted after I side stepped him."

"Lewis," Riley looked at him and tried as best he possibly could to make his face warmer, more trustworthy than he usually seemed, "I know you are important to Aspen and I don't want to create a rift between you two. Please, is there someway we can work through whatever disdain I cause in you?"

"Yeah, there is," said Lewis. "Stay away from Aspen." And with that, he stood up and stormed away.

Aspen looked away from her brother in a mix of despair and rage. "I know you didn't start that fight with Brooks," she said to Riley. "And I'm sorry if Lewis hurt you. I'm really sorry. Please don't listen to him. He has no idea what he's talking about."

"He isn't wrong Aspen. About anything he said. None of it was wrong."

Riley stood up and pressed his palm to his forehead. "Lewis, Brooks, your other friends, your mother, mine... If there are so many that agree with what he says, than can it really be wrong like you say?"

"Aspen, he's right. I should stay away from you. You can be yourself..." something glistened on the corner of Riley's eye, "...without me. I've served my purpose." RIley slowly turned away from the table and took a long breath, trying to disguise the ragged ne threatening to take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.