Children Shall Lead Them

• Thread starter Witch of Nightscape
  • Start date
  • So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gianna had spent the rest of the day with her daughter, enjoying their free time. Soon it was time to go to sleep.

-Time Skip-

"I'm sorry Ms. Petersen, but I gave you a heads notice Wednesday morning." The male said as he shook his head. "Please, just-just give me one more week." Gianna begged, her expression pleading. "I can't. I'm sorry." The male took a step back. "You have until ten to gather your things." He turned on his heel, leaving Gianna to watch his retreating figure. Tears couldn't help but to burn her eyes and she slowly stepped back into the room and shut the door. Her gaze immediately went to Elizabeth who was still sleeping on the bed. What was she going to do? They had no where else to go. Leaning against the door, she felt the tears begin to cascade down her cheeks.

Suddenly an idea hit her, Ben...but she didn't want to be a bother to him. Though she also didn't want her daughter to worry and realize how bad their situation was. Rushing over to the dirty hamper, she looked through and found her jeans and took out Ben's number from the pocket. She unfolded the wrinkled paper and starred down at the numbers, before going over towards the counter and picking up the phone. Gianna quickly dialed the number and waited for him to answer.

Waking up and getting Micah some breakfast, he figured he would clean the house before his shift at 3 pm. As micah finished up and washed his dish, he got micah ready to go to the daycare. This would be the last year micah could go to daycare. As he prepared for daycare, ben began to clean the apartment when his cellphone rang. It was an unknown number. He picked up the phone.

"Hello, this is ben"

Gianna bit her lip as the line rang and she couldn't help but to wonder if this was a good idea. Though she wasn't given much time to ponder the thought when she heard the familiar voice on the other end. "Uh..Ben. Hey it's me, Gianna. Elizabeth's mother." She cursed herself for sounding so nervous. How would she even explain this to him when she had lied to him saying that they were doing better. She ran a hand through her hair, frustration clear in her actions. "I...I lied when I told you we were living better than with Elizabeth's father. I didn't have enough money to pay for this months rent and we have to move. Do you think we could stay for a day or two, until I can find us some place else?" She questioned, before quickly adding. "I know this is too much to ask for and I understand if you wouldn't want us there."

Ben listened to the woman's frantic voice on the other end. He listened lovingly and then when she was done asking her question, he quickly responded.

"Hey Gianna. It's ok. I told you to call me whenever you want. Lie or not, I can't let people I know not have a place to stay. I have an extra room I use as a guest room since Micah sleeps in my room with me. You are welcome to stay in that room for a little while until you can get back on your feet. The only condition is that you help with groceries where you are able. If your ok with that, then your free to come and stay here until you find another place. You calling is not a bother. I'm glad you called. Did you need me and Micah's help getting your and Elizabeth's stuff?"

He felt awful that this had happened to Gianna. She was such a nice woman also. However, Nice didn't always mean putting food on the table.

Gianna listened to his response and she felt relief course through her body. "Of course, I'll help with the groceries and I'll cook, along with any other house chores if you'd like. Uhh...no, thank you. We don't really have many things." She spoke into the phone and glanced in the direction of the bed, where she noticed that Elizabeth was stirring awake. "What's your address?" She questioned, her voice slightly lower since she didn't want her daughter to wake up yet.

Maybe meeting Ben at the park was more of a blessing than just some coincidence.

"Hey um...thank you for this, really." Gianna spoke out, her words sincere. The fact that he was letting her, a complete stranger, stay at his place until she got back up again was something she would never ever picture someone doing. She was grateful for his kindness.

Ben smiled.

"It's not a problem. If this is your number, I'll text you my address. Just let me know if there is anything we can do to help you out...Oh and I hate to spring this on you now, but if your coming over today, then I was wondering if you could watch Micah and Elizabeth today? I have to go into work at 3 pm. Micah's welcome to go anywhere, but seafood joints. He is allergic to seafood. I'll also leave some cash on the counter where only you can reach it so you can treat the kids and yourself while I'm out...if that's ok with you. That is, assuming you don't work today...however, I probably shouldn't assume. If you can't, my neighbor's daughter is a great babysitter and she's usually always willing to watch the kids."

He really didn't like the daycare he sent Micah to. Not because it was a bad daycare, but because Micah himself didn't like it that much. But he went because he was a smart boy and knew that he had to if he wanted to try and make some new friends. However, he had no qualms with not taking him there today if Gianna could watch the kids. If she didn't have to work that is.

"No, no. It's fine. I'll watch them and yeah just text and the address. I kind of called work earlier. Say, what time will you be back?" She questioned as she briefly glanced to Elizabeth. She managed to pull some strings so she could go in and work at two in the morning. Gianna had figured that today wouldn't be the best if days and she also couldn't afford to miss work since she needed the money. "I have to go to work at two in the morning, but you'll be back by then?"

"Yes. I should be back around 11:15ish. Ill check on the kids when you have to go. Well, give me a call if you end up do needing any help after all. Ill see you soon" he hung up, letting Micah know what was happening. His eyes went wide with excitement.

"OK bud. Help me clean up before they get here, OK?" Sending off Micah to clean up the toys he left in the living room. He texted Gianna his address and then proceeded to clean up to prepare for Giannas and Elizabeth's arrival.

"Alright, see you." Once they hung up, she immediately got a text and she read the address. His home wasn't that far away. With a small smile, she walked over to the closet they had and she pulled out the two suitcases she had stored in there. Gianna began to fold both hers and Elizabeth's clothes before placing them in the suitcase. Half an hour later, she had finished packing up the majority of their things, all she needed were Elizabeths toys and she would be done.

"Mommy?" Gianna couldn't help but to jump slightly since she hasn't expected for Elizabeth to wake up already. "What are you doing?" The little girl questioned as she stood off to he side. Gianna stood up and walked over before kneeling in front of her. "We have to move out sweety. Ben, Micah's father is letting us stay at his place for s while. So get ready while I finish packing up. I set out your clothes already, they're on the chair." Straightening up, she gave her daughter a gentle push before quickly moving to pack everything else. By the time she had finished, it was already nine forty-five, which meant that she only had fifteen minutes until she truly had to get out of there. Pulling on a hoodie, Gianna then pulled her hair into a ponytail, before grabbing her duffel bag and the the two suitcases. "Are you ready to go Elizabeth?" She questioned and her daughter nodded. "Alright, come on." Heading out of the small house, Gianna got her last glance of the place before stepping out and right then the land lord had come to take her keys. She gave them to the man bid farewell and began to walk over to Ben's home.

"So we'll be living with Micah?" Elizabeth questioned, excitement in her tone. "For a small while." Gianna answered as she gave her daughter a small smile.

After a few minutes, they arrived to their destination and Gianna walked up to the front door and knocked on the door after she let go of the handle of the suitcase.

Last edited:
Ben told Micah the news and that made him all the more willing to help out with the chores before the two women arrived. He quickly made the guest room presentable, the full size bed more than big enough to fit Elizabeth and her. He then cleaned the guest bathroom and cleaned up the living room, while Micah cleaned up the dining table and swept the kitchen. Ben quickly did the dishes and then ran and got dressed into his work uniform, just to make himself look presentable. Micah had gotten into some clothes as well and had fixed his hair. He was surprisingly independent for his age, but that made things a bit easier for Ben.

He had made sure that the whole apartment had been cleaned as thoroughly as possible before they came and now, it looked presentable. Fixing up his hair a bit, he then heard a knock at the front door. He ran to get the door, opening it. There stood Gianna and Elizabeth. He smiled as he ushered the two women inside.

"Micah, their here!"

Micah ran up to meet Elizabeth, happy to see her once again.

"Micah, you remember that room that's across from our own? That's where they will be staying. Shall we show it to them?"

Micah nodded.

"Yes! Can I show them dad?"

Ben nodded.

"Of course. If you lovely ladies would follow Micah, he'll show you where you'll be staying" he let Micah lead them to the guest bedroom that had been prepared for them.

Gianna waited patiently for the door to open by glancing down at her daughter with a small smile, since she could practically feel the girl's excitement. When the door was pulled open, Gianna took note of Ben's outfit and she raised an eyebrow. He looked good and was sure that it was his uniform for work. She pulled in her two suitcases, before looking down at Micah who was to lead the way. "Sure." She nodded before following behind the two kids as they walked towards their designated area. Once they reached the room, Gianna was rather happy. It was decent size and the bed was perfect for both her and her daughter. Pushing in her suitcases, she let them rest there and she turned back to Ben. "This is perfect. Thank you, again." Gianna said with a huge grin on her lips. She would forever be grateful for this.

Elizabeth looked at Micah with a smile. "I have some toys...do you want to play with them?" The little girl questioned, while Gianna talked with Ben.

"Ah and I'm sorry for such a short and abrupt notice. I had thought I would have enough money..." She trailed off before shaking her head and offering him a small grateful smile.

As the two women settled in, he listened as she explained to him about how she thought she'd have enough to pay rent, but now couldn't. He shrugged.

"Don't think anything of it. Things happen sometimes. I'm just glad I have an extra room for you and your daughter. Please, make yourself at home here"

Micah nodded at Elizabeth's suggestion of playing with toys. Ben smirked.

"I think we should let these two play. Would you like to get something for lunch? I was just going to order pizza for me and Micah. Are you and Elizabeth ok with Pizza for lunch?"

Unbuttoning his white shirt sleeve's at the ends and moving them up to around his upper arms, he leaned against the counter, taking his coffee mug and taking a sip of the freshly brewed coffee.

"Oh, I forgot to explain I work at a law firm. I'm an attorney...I have a case today..."

Gianna gave him a nod, "Pizza's fine. Elizabeth loves it." If the little girl could, then she would be eating pizza practically everyday. Of course, Gianna didn't approve of that idea since it wasn't the healthiest of foods and she preferred for Elizabeth to be healthy. "don't make a mess, Elizabeth." She briefly warned when she noticed her searching through the duffel bag, before looking back to Ben, who rolled up his sleeves. Gianna didn't know what it was, but having his sleeves rolled up like that was just far more attractive than he realized. Biting her lip, Gianna focused on his face and her eyes widened when he informed about his career. "Well look at you, Mr. Bigshot." She joked with a light chuckle to follow. "In all seriousness, that is actually very impressive and an important job." She added and she was impressed. She hand't expected him to be an attorney, yet she hadn't really known what to expect. She couldn't help but to feel a bit embarrassed about herself, given that he had his career all set and she was here barely scraping by. "You must have worked really hard to get there."

Elizabeth pulled out some of her toys and presented them to Micah. They weren't those type of new expensive toys, but more like old toys that her mother had managed to buy her. She had some toy cars, dolls, and other little things. "What do you want to play?" Liza questioned as she too a seat on the floor and set her toys down.

Micah smiled and took the toy cars.

"Let's play house. Your dolls can be the kids and we'll be the parents" Micah wasn't used to playing with little girls, but he did know that little girls liked to play house and he always aimed to impress.

Ben took another sip of his coffee, looking through his phone. He ordered he and Micah's favorite pizza that he let him have about once a month. Getting off the phone, he looked up at Gianna, her beauty throwing him off again. Every time he looked at her, her beauty captivated him and it was hard to form words. But somehow, he managed to.

"Yes. This job was very difficult to get and I did have to work hard to get it. I wanted to be ready just in case I got married and had a child one day that I'd be able to be a supportive father. Unfortunately, I don't get to spend a whole lot of time with Micah so when I do get a day off, I spend the whole day with him...I hate being away from my son for too long, but I am trying to set up his future so it can go a little more smooth when he grows up...I want to be the man that my son looks at and says 'I want to grow up and be just like him', minus the divorce thing of course"

He chuckled.

"OH and thanks for watching the kids. You can take them out if you want. There's a few restaurants down the street that Micah likes if you want to go and treat yourself and the kids."

Pulling out his wallet, he handed her a 50 dollar bill.

"This is for that. Any left over change you might have is something you can keep"

Elizabeth was a little surprised that Micah wanted to play house, but she wouldn't complain. Instead, she nodded enthusiastically and stood up with her dolls in her hands. "Maybe you could be coming home from work?" Elizabeth suggested as she set the dolls on the bed.

Gianna listened intently and it was nice to hear that he was concerned about Micah and his future. She was too with Elizabeth's, but how they've been living recently, she hasn't had much time to plan how she would save up money. "I personally think you're actually doing a good job. I mean raising a child alone isn't as easy as you think it's going to turn out to be...but you're on the right track." She felt happy that Micah had a father like Ben, something Elizabeth would never have with her own father. It was upsetting to think about, but it was the truth and as disappointing as it Gianna had to accept it. "It's worth it." She added. Gianna would frankly go through what she went through again any day, any time if it meant to have Elizabeth by her side, even with all the bad situations she faced.

As he pulled out his wallet and held out a fifty dollar to her, she pursed her lips and shook her head. "Thank you, but it's fine. I'll pay. I still have some money saved up for food." She didn't want to accept his money like that. It didn't feel right to her.

"Plus, I'll head on over to the grocery store to get the groceries." She added with a small smile, before clasping her hands behind her back, indicating that she would not take the money.

Ben took the money back and put it back in his wallet. He smiled as he had never met a woman so willing to pay for her and two children to eat and get groceries. He pulled out a twenty instead and put it in her hand.

"Let me help a little at least. Id feel bad if you went and paid for everything. I can't make a woman do that"

Hearing the doorbell, Ben went to get the door. Paying the delivery guy, he took the pizza and closed the door. Setting the pizza down on the table, he called out to Micah and Elizabeth to come and get some pizza.

Micah smiled and grabbed Elizabeth's hand.

"We can play after we eat! Lets go get some pizza!"

Gianna looked down at the twenty dollar bill in her hand, her lips pursing though she wasn't given the opportunity to protest courtesy to the bell ringing. Reluctantly, she placed the money in the front pocket of her jeans. Ben was far too generous than she had anticipated, especially for an attorney. It wasn't a bad thing, in fact it was good, but she didn't want him to constantly pull money from his wallet to give to her. It was his money that he earned for himself and for his son. Plus, she had already felt like she was asking for something big by staying at his place.

Gianna walked over to the table and watched as the kids rushed over. A small smile settled onto her lips.

"Okay." Elizabeth nodded and followed behind Micah as they went to go get pizza. "We're eating pizza today?" Elizabeth questioned, surprised yet happy. "Yes, sweetheart. Ben ordered it." Gianna said and Elizabeth immediately looked to Micah's father with an appreciative grin. "Thank you!" She said before looking at her mother, waiting to get a slice. Gianna opened the box and handed a slice to Elizabeth and then to Micah. "Don't make a mess. Have a seat while you east." She said and Elizabeth did as she was told.

Ben smiled down at Elizabeth.

"Your welcome. I hope you like it." Ben served some up for Gianna, getting some after he gave Gianna some. As he munched on the pizza, he glanced over at Gianna. She was a beautiful woman. It was hard to think that some man was an idiot enough to abuse and lose her. If he were the one to be her boyfriend, he'd take care of and cherish her. Not only was she beautiful, but she was kind and thoughtful. He munched on his pizza as he looked at the two children. He smiled as he saw them talking and enjoying the pizza.

"Do you like it? " Ben asked Gianna.

Micah ate his pizza and smiled at Elizabeth.

"Do you like the pizza? It's me and my dad's favorite pizza in the whole world!"

"Oh, thanks." Gianna took the slice of pizza he gave her and took a bite. As she chewed, her mind caused her to drift off, her thoughts on what she could do to earn more money. Another job maybe? But she didn't want to be away from Elizabeth. Gianna wanted to spend time with her daughter, given her young age. "Hmm? Oh, yeah. It is really good." Gianna nodded and gave him a smile before taking a bite.

"Do you still want to go to the park tomorrow?" She questioned as she briefly glanced over to the kids then back at him.

Elizabeth nodded as she chewed. "It's really good. My mom buys pizza every once in a while, but she has never bought me this type." Elizabeth added after she swallowed.

Ben shrugged and smiled.

"I'm still cool with going if you want to. We did promise the little tikes that we would take them. Let's carry through with that promise shall we?" he finished his pizza and took another slice, eating that one in no time at all too. He took a seat with the kids and looked to Micah.

"Hey there my little man. Did you want to take these lovely ladies to park tomorrow still?"

Micah nodded.

"The park is my favorite place to be. I want to go with Elizabeth!"

Ben nodded and ruffled the boy's hair.

"Well, don't worry little man, we'll be going tomorrow with these beautiful ladies. But you have to promise to help Elizabeth make a sandwich, ok?"

Micah nodded.

"Ok Dad"

Ben chuckled.

"Good boy. Once you finish your pizza, go on and go play with Elizabeth. Gianna will be watching you and Elizabeth today so you behave ok?"

Micah nodded and finished up his slice of pizza before taking Elizabeth back to the room so they could go play.

Ben looked to Gianna.

"You want to go in the afternoon still? Does that still work for you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.