Changing Skies

Ryeth laughed softly at her brother's impatience, his pouting though he wouldn't admit it and kissed his cheek again before she spoke. "Actually, brat, I need all of you there, but yes, I want to sleep first." She tugged his hair playfully and moved away before he could do the same with a smile.

Rachelle met her then and the werewolfess crouched, letting the Earth climb on her back. She let out a howl, a signal to the army - the Four's Army - that the Sea and Earth were safe and that the battle was over for the day. Everywhere, it seemed like everyone relaxed and they all started to make their way to their designated 'places', knowing they might be called again at any moment. They were ready.

--

Ryeth and Rachelle arrived back at the headquarters nearly ready to fall asleep on their feet and they completely ignored the person who wanted to brief them, knowing they could do it later. Nothing had changed. Not yet anyway and neither of them had the patience for it right now. They parted in the hall, giving each other smiles. Ryethke went to the Sun's room, their room and came into the room quietly. She hadn't bothered going to the medical unit, knowing there wasn't much they could do for her and now her body just begged for sleep, for relief from the constant pain that throbbed through her.

She knew that being in the Sun's embrace would help and so crawled on the bed and without a word, she curled into his side, lifting his arm and wrapping it around her waist, holding his hand in hers. I missed you. I love you.

It had almost become a ritual that she greeted him this way, relieved after every battle that they'd lived, that they could see each other again.

Rachelle looked after Gaia with worry, but knew she'd done what she could. It was time to let Ciro do the rest. The werewolfess headed to her own room after that thought and when she came in, she shifted down to her human form. Her steps were silent, but she knew her mate would hear them long before she wrapped her arms around his shoulders, draping down his bare chest as she nipped lightly at his neck, nuzzling her nose against him.

"How goes everything?" She knew his job was just as important if not more so than her own.

Ciro murmured something, rolling to wrap himself around the earth in a warm embrace. He sighed, nuzzling his face into her hair. "Me too." Was all he said, too tired to make more words. He sighed and just held her closer, warming her and wishing he could take her pain away for good.

Sylvester sat on the floor in the middle of the room on a pallet of pillows and blankets, meditating. Even as he felt the armies retreating, pausing for some time, he had work to do, briefs to take, to give...Until he heard his mate approaching. He sighed softly and leaned back into her arms. "About as well as one would expect, I suppose..." He said, reaching up to rub his eyes. "You smell different. Are you ok?"

Ryeth smiled at his words, at his actions and she let herself relax into him, letting her connections with everything flow to the back of her mind, kept at bay for just a little while, just long enough to sleep. She needed sleep so badly...

The Fae wasn't even sure when she drifted off.

Rachelle sighed, feeling his weariness through the gray, but let her own respect and pride for him flow back through, offering what encouragement she could. The Earth had chosen well, of that the black-haired werewolfess had no doubt. And she couldn't have picked a better mate, of that she was sure. She smiled at his words and pressed her lips to his neck again, kissing him softly before she rested her cheek against his temple, her voice soft in his ear.

"I think you smell cubs, Sylvester." she teased gently, seeing if he'd get it.

Ciro fell asleep pretty quickly as he held her. He planned on staying asleep for a while, too.

"Cubs?" He leaned back into her fully, even if that meant pushing her back until she was lying down. "When have you been around......." He flipped around suddenly, eyes wide, one hand on the floor on either side of her. "What?! Really?!" He shifted down to his wolf form and started sniffing her all over, tail wagging happily. He shifted back to his human form quickly, once he was sure. He grinned. "Rachelle! You're pregnant!!" A wave of I-Made-Puppies pride flowed out of him and all over Rachelle, then across his tether to Ryethke. Sure, he knew she was asleep, but he couldn't hold it back! He was pretty sure half the werewolves on earth felt it...

Rachelle laughed, watching him as he confirmed what she'd already told him and then grinning when his emotions swept over her. She felt her own pride swell as she placed her hand on her stomach and then looked up at him, silver eyes shining. "Two weeks now." she told him softly and then whined happily, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him down into a kiss. It was a human gesture, but they'd found it wasn't a bad way of communicating love - another point to the humans - and she was so happy right now she felt like the emotions would burst out of her skin.

In about four weeks, they'd both be parents! She couldn't have asked for a better father in Sylvester and she'd longed for this moment all her life, to be a mother.

Ryeth was deeply asleep, but Sylvester's enthusiasm was so great that it woke her and she blinked wearily, trying to register why he'd send something strong across their link when he had to know she was exhausted. It only took her about a minute to realize what his message was and when she did, she grinned widely, almost wanting to spread the news herself, but she settled for giggling to herself and settling back down next to Ciro.

She was so happy for her wolf, though, and she sent her congratulations back through their bond before closing her eyes again, drifting back off to dreams of puppies.

Sylvester kissed her back, then grabbed her and kissed her again, rolling around on the floor with her. "That's amazing!" He sat up, looking down at her. "No more fighting for you. Or shifting." He looked around the room, then back at her. "Or leaving the room for anything....Unless you have to go to the bathroom, I guess, because no shifting!" He pulled her into his lap and rocked her happily. "Oh wow...I...I don't even...I don't have any idea how to deal with this...." He laughed nervously and looked down at her. "You're...we're...we made puppies!!"

Rachelle really was laughing this time and she didn't bother pushing him off her as he wasn't hurting her anyway. He seemed careful not to put any weight on her stomach anyway and she felt a surge of affection toward him for that tiny gesture alone. He'd make a wonderful father.

"Syl, I can shift." she corrected him, placing her finger on his lips before could protest. "I have two more weeks to go before it will become even remotely dangerous and then I will stay a wolf. I want our pups to be wolf-born." And she knows he wants it, too. Rachelle sat up, pushing him back gently but firmly as she looked into his eyes, loving his excitement and reassured by his happiness, knowing he wants this. She is intelligent, but there is instinct, too and if he'd been anything less than ecstatic at her news, she would have had a hard time trusting him around the pups when they were born. She now knows she'll have less to worry about.

"Sylvester, I can't stop fighting. We're all needed." Rachelle doesn't WANT to endanger her puppies, but neither does she want them to grow up in a world like this. The only solution is to make things better before they are born.

Syl narrowed his eyes at her. "You aren't fighting. If you die, I loose all of you." He said firmly. There was no changing his mind in the matter. "I'm not letting you fight. That's the end of it." He stood up and picked her up, moving her over to the bed. He sat her down on the edge of it and looked down at her. "You shouldn't have been fighting this entire time. You aren't putting yourself or the pups in further danger."

Rachelle was growling low in her throat already at his tone, but she hadn't snapped yet and she watched him for a few tense minutes between them, neither breaking the other's gaze before she finally looked away, submitting. He was....right. She knew he was, she just felt torn in so many directions right now. She wanted to stay with him, work together. She wanted to take care of her growing pups, make sure nothing hindered their development. But she also wanted to be there for the Earth since her mate could not. So many different things and she'd been trying do them all.

Now her mate was saying she couldn't and while her initial reaction had been to challenge him simply for the fact that he was pulling rank, now she could calm herself and see the sense in it, be grateful for his strength in this matter.

Rachelle finally sighed and looked up at him, silver eyes calm. "Fine, I will stay, but I need to be doing something. I'm not a pampered poodle. Let me help you."

He sighed. "I know you aren't a pampered poodle...that's one reason I love you so much. And I'm sure there is work around here for you to do...in fact, if you want to help me keep track of everyone, that would be a great help." He smiled and sat down beside her, reaching over and rubbing her back gently. "And I didn't mean to seem like I was pulling rank...I wasn't...I was pulling 'I'm your mate and I say so'...not 'I'm your general and I say so'. I wouldn't be able to focus on my tasks here knowing you and our pups were out there...and what if you ended up having to be too far away and weren't somewhere safe when you gave birth? I...I couldn't live with myself...So...no. Your troop movement, your new assignment, it's here with me. Right in this room. Helping me keep track of everyone else's movements."

Rachelle leaned into him and she smiled, listening to him talk. This is what she loved about Sylvester. He was always trying to please her and yet, he did that just by being himself. He did it by caring so much and getting excited and being protective and not able to find the words, but stuttering and yet being so incredibly capable. She loved every bit of him and because she loved him, she'd honor his wishes.

Not to mention...he WAS right.

She sighed, acting like it was huge decision as she spoke, but there was teasing along their mental strand. "Fine. I will stay here, General. My you are picky..." She knows she'll pay for that, but Rachelle doesn't mind. Not in the least.

-------

Ryethke hadn't known she could move so fast from the bed to the bathroom across the hall, but here she was, puking her guts out, just barely getting to the toilet in time. She wasn't sure if she'd woken Ciro or not, but if she had, she knew he'd understand the reason for her nausea. The blood in the earth is like the chemicals in Pontus. It's just toxic and not welcome. Granted, Ryethke had yet to actually throw up from the discomfort before, but maybe it's built to being intolerable?

She really didn't want to figure it out right now though as her stomach heaved again and she retched, holding her hair back. When she was done, the Fae sat back, leaning her head against the wall, her skin clammy as she wiped her mouth.

Ugh. She didn't even remember eating that...

"Picky?? Picky!!" He lifted her up and plopped her down in the middle of the bed, starting to tickle her. "I'm going to make you wet yourself for that one!" He laughed and tickled and just...enjoyed being with his mate. He wasn't actually going to make her wet herself. They were in the bed, after all...

Alcmene walked up and leaned against the door frame, watching Ryethke as she...well, puked. She let a smirk play on her face, arms folded. Honestly, the woman was quite exhausted but she just had one more thing to do before she called Pontus to her bed. "And how are you feeling, Mother Earth?" She asked, teasing quite evident in her voice.

Rachelle's silver eyes widened and she shrieked in laughter, unable to help it as he started to tickle her, knowing every weak spot at this point. She squirmed and struggled in his grasp, but one thing about werewolves is that they are all strong, but the males are admittedly stronger and Rachelle knew she really didn't have any chance of getting away....unless she played dirty.

"S-stop! In the..the name of....our chi-children, st-stop!" she gasped out between giggles and laughter.

Ryethke gave Alcmene a look that said 'do I look like I am feeling good' from behind her hair before pushing it back and she sighed, finally making herself stand and flush the toilet, coming out of the bathroom. "I'm fine."

She gave her sister a worried look, immediately focusing on Luna, giving the Moon her attention. "Is everything all right? Is Pontus okay?" She knew she only had to check their links to find out, but some habits died hard and well, Alcmene never just...came to see her after a battle. She left that to her brother....

He stopped and smirked, shaking his head. "That's cold...." He poked her stomach. "Do you boys hear that?? Your mother is a cheater!" He leaned down and kissed her stomach. He grinned up at Rachelle, then kissed her stomach. "You'll just have to love your father more."

She laughed and made sure Ryethke didn't leave the bathroom. "At least rinse your mouth out, darling. Are you eating enough? You're looking a little pale..." There was something in her eyes that said she wasn't telling her sister something. She laughed and grinned at her. "If throwing up doesn't agree with you, you're in for a looong 5 months..."

Rachelle's silver eyes glowed with love and warmth as she watched Sylvester and her hands carded through his hair as he kept his face near her stomach. She chuckled at his words and raised an elegant black brow. "They'd better not love your more. *I'm* the one that's going to be carrying them and feeding them and teaching them before they can even walk properly." She tugged his hair playfully. "You'd better recommend that they adore their cheating mother lest I teach them to aggravate their foolish father." she teased.

Ryeth could honestly say she'd never been more confused by Luna in her life. She blinked at her pale-haired sister after rinsing her mouth as directed, trying to decipher the meaning behind the Moon's words. Obviously everything was fine with Alcmene herself and Pontus. So that meant that Luna had a message of some kind that she didn't feel like just sharing. It was unfortunate that Ryethke was tired and didn't have much patience. She usually loved playing word games with her sister.

"Five months? Why would I be throwing up for five months?" she asked with a puzzled frown, crossing her arms. When Luna didn't immediately answer, only keeping that secretive smile, the Fae sighed and looked down at the floor, thinking. Five months? Throwing up for five months? And was she eating enough? What did those have to do with each other? Something niggled at her mind even as she thought about it Alcmene's words and Ryeth's frown deepened.

Wait....what had the Moon called her? Mother Earth? Since when did she call her Mo-

Dark brown eyes widened, snapping up to meet pale blue ones with a question, a burning question Ryeth couldn't bring herself to voice.

Mother Earth....Mother...

He smirked and nipped her stomach gently. "No. I'll steal them away and find some other beautiful, sexy, beautiful, amazing, beautiful she-wolf to raise them." He laughed and crawled up on top of her, kissing her face. "I love you, Rachelle."

She laughed as soon as Ryethke's eyes snapped up and she knew her sister got the message. She grinned broadly. "Congratulations. But...I'm exhausted...you should go tell Ciro. I'll watch out for solar flares." She winked at Ryethke and walked out, back to her room to call Pontus to her.

Ciro was sitting up in bed, yawning and waiting for her to come back. He rubbed his eyes tiredly and glanced out the window, just kinda hoping they'd get a few days to rest. He needed it. They all needed it.

Rachelle growled happily, her hands on his back and threading through his hair as he kissed her face. She nipped at his lip as it came to hover over her own and smiled at him. "I love you, too, Sylvester, so very much." she whispered back and she truly meant it. They were going to be a family and she couldn't have been happier.

Ryethke stared after her sister with a slack jaw and didn't even care how she must have looked. Her head was spinning with this new information and she looked down at her stomach slowly. Her hands shook as they came to rest on her middle and she felt tears come to her eyes and she wasn't even sure why. Was she happy? Scared? Worried? Amazed?

Yes. All of them.

The Fae wasn't sure when she'd started to walk - or stumble - back to the room but when she came into the bedroom, her dark brown eyes were wide and they sought out Ciro's yellow ones as she approached the bed. Her heart was pounding in her ears, but she felt almost eerily calm, too.

She had no idea how to tell him. She had no idea what to think herself just yet. A baby. She was going to have a baby...

"Good. I should hope so anyway." He grinned and hugged her close. "So, what should we name them? We should think of seven boys names." He smirked at her. "That's how many I tried for, anyway. Hopefully, you tried just as hard as me." He was teasing, sure, and it was going to be a running joke through the whole pregnancy.

Ciro smiled at her but his smile faded when he saw the look on her face. He sat up, frowning. "Ryethke?...Is everything ok? What's wrong?" He slid over to sit on the edge of the bed and watched her face. He put his hands on her hips, rubbing them gently. "You just that sick again?"

Rachelle laughed loudly this time and she reached up to cuff him over the head before shaking her own head and curling into him. "I did all I was able to do, you hooligan." she retorted before laying one of her hands over her stomach protectively as she truly thought about his first comment. Rachelle finally smiled a little, looking back up at Sylvester. "One's a girl. I know it. I want to name her Amelia, for my mother."

She tilted her head, smiling. "What names to you like?"

Ryethke stared at him for a moment, working for words. She slowly shook her head, denying his question about being sick. And then she felt like laughing hysterically. Well, actually, she WAS sick, but not for the reason he thought! Oh, stars, how was she going to tell him? Would he be happy? What would their child be like? Like the Sun? Like the Earth? A combination? Where would the baby's place in this world be? Would there even be a world for this child to grow up in? Oh, by the great ice age, HOW had this happened?

No, wait, she knew how, but.....

Ryethee knew she was pale, probably worrying Ciro greatly and she made herself breathe in deeply before resting her hands on his arms and opening her mouth. Nothing came out though and she gave up, closing it again and just looking at him, her dark brown eyes staring deeply into his yellow as she connected their minds, realizing she'd severed most of her emotions from him when Alcmene had made known to her what was going on with her body.

I'm pregnant.

"Ugh, a girl?" He smirked, flopping down onto his back beside her. "I like the name Sylvester." He said with a nod. "It's a good, strong name...I think we should name all seven of them Sylvester. If there are more than seven, you can name one Amelia."

He was really, really starting to worry but when her voice finally came in his head, he relaxed. "Pregnant? Is that all?" He slouched. "I though it was something seri-what?!" He stood up, grabbing her by the upper arms. "Pregnant?! How! Wait. I know how. No. What?" A plethora of mixed emotions were playing on his face and across their connections. Confused, happy, worried, ecstatic, worried, happy, worried, angry at people for hurting her while she was pregnant, happy. He sat down and blinked finally, just kinda staring ahead. "Mine, right...?"