#BoycottStarWarsVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then the internet was taken on a most amusing ruse cruise.

Well done, you pack of numpties.

Normally I don't respond point by point in order to avoid losing the nuanced context, but I feel the ideas introduced are distinct enough to make this technique appropriate. Feel free to call me out if you feel I've misrepresented anything.

If I knew it was just idiotic trolling, I wouldn't have said anything.

I'm well aware. I don't think anyone seriously considered the idea that you are dishonest and/or manipulative.

Besides how exactly can I tell the difference since people will literally do things like this?

Check the facts according to the extremity of their claim, and have a general understanding of what types of sources are reliable. If someone claims that someone committed suicide, there should be proof in the form of a dead body. When someone makes a conclusion and does not cite such a necessary piece of evidence, you should not take the incident at face value nor make claims about the objective truth. It is understandable if you trusted the media to provide truthful information and they failed in this regard, but you can become less susceptible to this form of misinformation by demanding basic objective proof. At the very least, talk about the situation as a hypothetical when assumptions are made without critical information.

If the hashtag hadn't been made in the first place, then the media wouldn't have reacted the way they did.

Obviously, but unlike internet trolls, the media is trusted as a reliable source of information. Certain standards of journalistic ethics must be adhered to so that the trust given to them is justified. As an establishment with best practices, the media above all else should be expected to observe these principles.

For every action, there's a reaction. They acted, I reacted.

Yes, your basic human instinct to react to things you think are wrong are exactly what trolls are targeting. They want you to be mad, to make a big fuss, and to ultimately make you appear foolish for reacting to provocation. We have a common saying about not feeding trolls. You are currently doing that. You are giving them what they want and are worse for it. I'm advising you take measures to stop falling for these types of fabrications. You don't have to listen, but someone who is often fooled generally loses credibility.

They can't choose the consequences of their actions nor can they choose the reactions.

Well, I hardly think that is relevant. Trolls want chaos. The consequences are irrelevant. They value reactions based on extremity rather than kind. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what they refers to here.

Research. Education. Ask questions. Seek sources. Find counter views.

Just like everything in the world. Don't just accept it. Question it.

The truth doesn't hide from scrutiny.
I did as much research as I could and nothing pointed to it being a joke. Although it would be pretty funny if Disney did that for marketing reasons.

Normally I don't respond point by point in order to avoid losing the nuanced context, but I feel the ideas introduced are distinct enough to make this technique appropriate. Feel free to call me out if you feel I've misrepresented anything.

I'm well aware. I don't think anyone seriously considered the idea that you are dishonest and/or manipulative.

Check the facts according to the extremity of their claim, and have a general understanding of what types of sources are reliable. If someone claims that someone committed suicide, there should be proof in the form of a dead body. When someone makes a conclusion and does not cite such a necessary piece of evidence, you should not take the incident at face value nor make claims about the objective truth. It is understandable if you trusted the media to provide truthful information and they failed in this regard, but you can become less susceptible to this form of misinformation by demanding basic objective proof. At the very least, talk about the situation as a hypothetical when assumptions are made without critical information.

Obviously, but unlike internet trolls, the media is trusted as a reliable source of information. Certain standards of journalistic ethics must be adhered to so that the trust given to them is justified. As an establishment with best practices, the media above all else should be expected to observe these principles.

Yes, your basic human instinct to react to things you think are wrong are exactly what trolls are targeting. They want you to be mad, to make a big fuss, and to ultimately make you appear foolish for reacting to provocation. We have a common saying about not feeding trolls. You are currently doing that. You are giving them what they want and are worse for it. I'm advising you take measures to stop falling for these types of fabrications. You don't have to listen, but someone who is often fooled generally loses credibility.

Well, I hardly think that is relevant. Trolls want chaos. The consequences are irrelevant. They value reactions based on extremity rather than kind. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what they refers to here.
Yeah I was being a bit hasty and should've looked into it more. When it comes to things like this, I can get pretty impulsive since it's one of my biggest pet peeves.

Usually when it comes to trolls, I just say something snarky to them and then block and report them. Especially during online gaming.

For all of the Star Wars fans here, I'm pretty sure you know what this hashtag is (unless you've been living under a rock these past few days).
Or we just don't spend our time on Twitter. :P
I'm mad we don't have an Asian Jar Jar Binx.
12118728_190769054590445_8613682509546987421_n.jpg

If I knew it was just idiotic trolling, I wouldn't have said anything. Besides how exactly can I tell the difference since people will literally do things like this? If the hashtag hadn't been made in the first place, then the media wouldn't have reacted the way they did. For every action, there's a reaction. They acted, I reacted. They can't choose the consequences of their actions nor can they choose the reactions.

Though I'll be fair.
I mentioned this yesterday in TS as well without double-checking.

We all make our mistakes. :P

• Love
Reactions: Kakumei
Oh, but we do have an Asian Jar Jar Binx, as in a racially offensive sterotype of a group of people!
What are you talking about?

That is very clearly my Aunt and Uncle.

*Neglects to read any of the previous posts*

The funny thing is: No one with any actual intelegence cares what the races are of any characters in anything ever. Pretty sure stuff like this is blasted on the internet just to troll the easily trolled.

Or did someone else already post something to that effect in this thread?

*Neglects to read any of the previous posts*

The funny thing is: No one with any actual intelegence cares what the races are of any characters in anything ever. Pretty sure stuff like this is blasted on the internet just to troll the easily trolled.

Or did someone else already post something to that effect in this thread?
Yes.

Reactions: Izurich
Oh, but we do have an Asian Jar Jar Binx, as in a racially offensive sterotype of a group of people!

2973721_orig.jpg

YAY!

Actually they're a cousin race to the Duros. :P

6332162_orig.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.