Border Guard

Las turned the corner and passed several soldiers sitting against the wall. She stopped at one she hadn't seen before and looked her over.
"Hey, you. You just been transferred to the Border Guard or you keeping a low profile? I've seen most everybody here, and you don't ring any bells," she asked, turning to face the woman.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hmm?" She looks up, another woman stood before her "I'm new to this post, the undead took the last place I was stationed"
Sheathing her knife and extending a hand her new acquaintance "I'm Lily"

Vaub entered the mess once more, passing a few soldiers eating their meals. Then while taking another drink he tripped over his own robe and tumbled across the grimy floor.
He rolled over and looked up to see he landed between the tiefling and the new girl, but before he could enjoy the view a memory reoccurred to him.

"Lass, your last form actually did get answered, but your not gonna be happy..." He said digging in his bag, he pulled a small vial from it filled with quicksilver. It probably wasn't enough for more than a few handful of spells.
"I'm sorry Las... It's weird because no matter how many times I fill a form for booze, THEY KEEP SENDING ME MORE! Apparently vodka is alot easier to get ahold of then quicksilver in iveron." He said handing over the vial.

"I'm nice...so I'll overlook your blatant ogling, since you're drunk and clearly in no state to make decisions" Lily says, kicking the drunk gently "Get up at least"

"I may be drunk missy, but I'm in more of my right mind then when I'm sober...." He said as he clambered up to his feet.

"Also don't flatter yourself...ogling YOU....please... Your much to mundane for me." He said then drank again.

"My names Vauban of Coldstone, pleased to meet you."

She shifts a little, her face emerging from the shadows "Mundane?" her most notable feature would be the large scar on her throat, moving almost all the way to her jugular, her face would be pretty, if it wasn't in a scowl, and she didn't have a scar that split her both of her lips on the right side[/COLOR]

Soft steps did nothing to announce the Sergeant's entrance into the mess hall. It wasn't until she has passed well beyond the doors did she attract any attention. Some gave her half hearted nods with a murmured "Sergeant", others greeted her with what could almost be called a smile was it not for the grim lines that marked the faces giving each smile the look of a grimace. Slowly Adria made her way around the room giving those she recognized a pat on the shoulder and either a word of encouragement or an inquiry as to how an injury was holding up. Sometimes she wished that she could recognize these men beyond the wounds that they were brought to her with but such was the life of the medic, besides anyone that had been treated by her with healing magic had a spot etched into her skin. Such was the life of a blood healer.

Most of the scars were on her forearms, back, and legs but some decorated her face and stomach. Every scar had a story and a face attached to it and for those who were brave enough to ask they could be treated to quite the tale. However those in the mess hall tonight were more concerned with relaxing either with friends or a strong drink. Some more so than others it seemed as sharp hazel eyes spotted the staggering form of Vaub standing near Las, one of the few people she recognized without having treated them, and another woman that she did not recognize.

"Just as charming as ever I see." Adria said approaching the group with long strides locking gazes with each member of the group before fixing onto Vaub.

"Now Vaub I hope that it wasn't your intention to leave Maria on duty by herself now?" Her voice was smooth and had a hint of laughter in it but she managed to keep her face stern. Honestly she did not care if her fellow healer was down here boozing the night away, he got his job done and besides she had already sent another to fill in his position for the night. But why deprive her of her fun.

As she waited for an answer her gaze traveled back to look at the other soldier that she did not recognize. She did not look clean and innocent enough to be newly stationed however she looked to be someone that Adria would know she saw before. That meant that she was most likely from a different post and had been transferred, something that Adria hoped she never had to do.

Garret Wulf, a man who no one could really understand. He would show signs of great knowledge as he was a skilled enginer and even a capable doctor when the situation called for it, but even so he did not work as either part. Garret were one of the brave/Suicidal few who had signed up to work as scouts for the border guard and even among his associates he had a number of suicide like stories. The scouts had the important mission to fire of signal rockets into the sky to warn the trenches of incoming undead, though their few numbers made it so they coudn't always fulfill their missions. Many of those who signed up died grotesque deaths at the hand of the necromancers or having to stand alone against a entire hoard. But the ones who surive create a strong brotherhood of survivors who try to aid their brothers and sisters in arms back in the trenches with ambushes and traps to slow or atleast kill some undeads.

Scouts also spent most of their times away from the trenches only returning to stock up(The part which takes the longest times, as the HQ hasnt always sent the needed supplies) and gain atleast a day or two of rest before they disapear again, to most likely die alone beyond the borders.

Garret sighed slightly as he stretched, he could see the trenches now and so it woudn't be long untill he finaly could restock. His last signal rocket was used around two weeks ago, and he hadn't noticed any other ones being sent of during the time in betwen he just hoped that the others havent died of yet. Would be tiresome to continue on his own. For those who were watching the horizon the lone scout would be a odd sight, a humanoid who was covered in dirty raggs. Though new recruits woudnt know these raggs were often covered in dirt and sticks so that a scout could look like a mud pile, and the undead do not have the greatest eye sight. But Garret also knew that he might get shot if he didn't prove who he was so after some digging through his many bags and pockets he found the short distance radio that the scouts were given and tried to contact the trenches.

"This is Garret Wulf, Member of the scout divission reporting in and preparing to resupply. Well that is if i am not shot before i reach the damned trenches."

He spoke in his usual tone, which was quite casual no matter the circumstance. Well if you ignore the times he is sarcastic.

Wesley almost shot Garrett where he stood as he approached the trench. "Those recon guys really need more distinctive uniforms." He told his spotter.

"Well Adria , if you could get that B....woman to give back that absinthe I know she stole... And for her to stop sticking leeches on my patients, I might grace her with my presence more than the required amount...
But how are you doing?" Vaub was relatively cordial with his fellow doctor, even if he saw her approach to healing disgusting and roundabout.

He then offered a drink from his flask to the sergeant while waiting for a introduction from the lady who had kicked him.

"Ah, of course...How rude of me, I'm Lily, I don't have a title yet...but I probably deserve one...Hmmm...Lily the Unkillable sounds about right" She lets out a small giggle, that seems far too girly for her appearance "You see...I've had more assassins after me than undead"

"Well maybe she just thought you needed a bit of help finishing off the bottle." Adria said with a wicked grin. But in any case she made a mental note to investigate the claim, she did not need a whole squad of drunk medics squabbling over patients.

"No complaints." She said with a shrug. Stretching her hands out wide in front of her she brandished her scars in a casual manner, seemingly oblivious to Vaub's feelings about her methods. "All healed from the last wave but can't say how long that will last." Accepting the flask she took a small swig before handing it back with a nod of thanks. She was slow to swallow the strong brew, relishing the burn of the higher proof alcohol than most were privileged to in the trenches. However as she listened to Lily she finished the gulp quickly so as to open her mouth and let out a amused chuckle.

"Be careful about mixing deserving and earning." She said with a crooked smile. "Soldiers are surprisingly creative when it comes to nicknames and titles, you get your own soon enough. If you survive that is." Perhaps her words might have been a bit harsh but that was their way of life, five might arrive and only one would go back home. It was enough to make most pretty skeptical. However Adria's own brand of realism was not to be confused with a lack of moral, she was to stubborn to stop fighting.

Mike closed his eyes and leaned back against the wall. His cigar was still in his mouth as he checked the tank on his flame thrower. "She looks good to go." He said to himself as he put the tank back on.
He looked around, wondering to himself when the enemy would show. They had to be building up for something big to have taken this long.

(Oh man, knew I shouldn't have waited to post until I got back from school @_@)

Las nodded to Lily. "From the front then?" she asked, stepping back and glancing at the drunken healer as he tumbled in front of them, landing on his back. She frowned at first, then smiled as he handed her a pile of quicksilver. Drinking the stuff sure as hell wasn't healthy, but gods damn could she do some impressive things with it.

"Thank you, Vauben," she said, before looking up to the Sergeant. She gave a small nod. "Adria," she greeted, stepping back to let her talk with the drunken healer and the rather boastful woman. She nodded slightly in agreement with the Sergeant. A lot of men died in the the attacks before, many of them having histories outside of the military. Mercenaries, adventurers, veterans. Damn good men too, but either luck, fate, or the gods weren't on their side.

"Indeed, we should all be careful, as for you, mister Vaub, would you care for some homebrew?" she holds out the flask, containing her own home-brewed cider

"Yeah you might end up Lily the Boastful, or Lily the Scarred, or Lily the corpse." he said then heard her offer some of her drink.

Vaub looked at the cider, then down at the objects in his hands.

"Hold this." He said handing the disk to lily and takeing the cider with one hand. He drank some then stood silently for a moment.

"I think a Granny Smith got into the rest of the apples." He said looking down into it.

Frankly, It made no sense to him as how he got here, as a member of the Border Guard, Darur was definitely an odd fellow to find in the BG, being a big, scaly draconian and all. He was stationed to pretty much what would be a death sentence, to face the enemy first and head-on instead of sniping and artillery, he was CQC, armed with a shotgun and an ax, which were slung behind his back in-between he wings. He still wondered to himself how he got here, perhaps...punishment? To kill me by accident? It was unknown to him, Darur did nothing wrong, except be himself, perhaps it was his combat skills, YES! that must have been it! Those racist jerks! No point in bothering them about it now, what's done is done, and hey, he might actually live to face a new, better life of freedom and redemption, even add a little side of revenge to the plate as well!
But he had to get through this, the Border Guard first, and deal with those undead boneheads as well.
After a while of staring into the dark lands known as Kallistine in the rain, getting himself all muddy and wet, his stomach began rumbling, so it was within the best interest of himself, himself, and, well, himself to go leave his staring and to go and eat at the Mess Hall it was pretty messy, and he needs a butt-load of food to satisfy him, which, in his case, was allowed, he sat down at a table with who seemed like a seasoned veteran sitting diagonal from him. He was a human male, with a fair amount of complexion on his face, and he wore a saggy, makeshift eye-patch and it hung so low you could see the blood-stained hole for where the eye used to be. He also had faded black hair, and a singular, brown eye that stared at Darur coldly as he continued to take his bites of food, while Darur just engulfed his whole food in one sitting, and stared at the cold hard vet. After a while of awkward, he finally looked at the overgrown lizard; "What 'ya lookin' at me like that? Is thur' somethin' about me botherin' 'ya?"
Darur nodded in agreement "Yes, In fact, it's your attitude. What killed it?"
He laughed for a bit before responding "What 'ya think? Look outside! Try livin' like this 'til you die!"
"That is always a fun thought..." but alas, the man left, and he was all alone again, with nothing else to do, he got himself out of the Mess Hall, and out back into the drenched trenches, break time's over.
Darur was further intruded by a small group of soldiers caught up in a heated argument, one was undoubtedly drunk, the other was as innocently new as Darur was, the argument was about things that were none of his concern, he just leaned on a wall and listened to them intently. It has been boring anyways, so this seemed like the highlight of his day. As all arguments and flare-ups do, it died and they made up, turns out, the man was named Vaub and the woman named Lily. She apparently offered him homebrew...
That's always nice to think about!​

Last edited:
"Eh? Oh...yeah, it's hard to get good apples out here, can't be too choosy" Lily explained thinking over what had been said "Hey...I quite like Lily the Corpse...Fits my whole appearance rather well" she points at the scar on her throat, it ended around an inch from her jugular

Enough poking and prodding and eavesdropping on such a conversation! Darur wants in on the homebrew, even though he has never met or heard of these people, not to mention the drunk was criticizing it. From what he's seen around here, that Homebrew that this girl, Lily made, just might be the best thing he'll ever have in a while. That cannot be accomplished by merely staring at them.
He strode up toward Lily, he bowed nicely at her and gestured toward her drink, "This may seem weird toward someone whom I've never met, but do you mind if I have a taste of that drink?"
A drink here and there always feels good, heck, He might even be joining the man next to him if he wanted to be happier. For he heard rumors, rumors that the undead hasn't came in a while, so it must mean that a big wave is coming soon, real soon. Having no friends virtually all of his life, and living as a racial outcast until he was smacked into this hell-hole of a place, but this seemed like a better place than most, here, everyone was an outcast, and heck, he might even make a friend or two before dying on the big wave, so what better time and place to do that than here and now?​

"Sure" She says, reaching to take the flask from Vaub "As long as our friend here is finished"