Books from your Childhood

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow I see many Redwall fans! I actually never read the series, but once I accidentally stumbled upon the show as an adult and fell in love... I used to wake up 6:30 am just to watch it on my tune tuner.

I think I'm going to read the books now :D

• Love
Reactions: Shiri and Jorick
I have a book about kittens that I kept since I was a kid to teenage, idk where it is now tho. My mom tends to buy me books about famous people in short graphic novels, and I have one the hellen keller one now behind me.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
I read pretty much anything I could get my hands on. When I was younger it was Dr. Seuss, then I was super into Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, Sideways Stories from Wayside School, Ramona Quimby... Literally anything involving fairytales (shocker, I know), but especially retellings (Robin McKinley, in particular). Goosebumps was fun, if they weren't too creepy. Shiloh. Shel SIlverstiene. There are totally more, but I can't think of the names...

@Greenie

I'm amazed to hear someone else read Tintin ! My dad got me into it (he grew up in Belgium) and now he and his brother actually write their own Tintin stories *lol*.

• Love
I'm amazed to hear someone else read Tintin ! My dad got me into it (he grew up in Belgium) and now he and his brother actually write their own Tintin stories *lol*
They're my favourite comics :D I love the humour, adventure, and how the author actually did research on the different cultures he was sending Tintin to. (Well, after three first three anyway, lol)

They're my favourite comics :D I love the humour, adventure, and how the author actually did research on the different cultures he was sending Tintin to. (Well, after three first three anyway, lol)

Yes! And despite being written so many years ago, it still feels super relevant and entertaining, today :)

Wow I see many Redwall fans! I actually never read the series, but once I accidentally stumbled upon the show as an adult and fell in love... I used to wake up 6:30 am just to watch it on my tune tuner.

I think I'm going to read the books now :D
I've found they're still enjoyable as an adult, definitely worth giving them a try. I haven't watched the show, but maybe I should if I can find it somewhere.

Also, just because I feel like rambling, I still have my horribly battered original hardcover copy of Redwall. The dust cover was lost ages ago, both covers and most pages are horribly water damaged due to unfortunate incidents with knocked over cups and once with a bathtub, there are stains on the pages from various foods due to me being a careless kid who liked to read while eating dinner, quite a few of the pages have mangled or missing top corners because I used to fold them down to mark my place, the back cover is only held on with duct tape after it got ripped off, and the front cover was almost torn off later but was preemptively secured with more duct tape. It's a horrible monstrosity of a book now, but it's the only thing I have from my young childhood that I actually care about keeping. 8D

It's a horrible monstrosity of a book now, but it's the only thing I have from my young childhood that I actually care about keeping. 8D
I can understand that! I used to read while eating all the time. Sometimes I'd sneak them off to parties lol, because interacting with people was boring lol. Most of my books from childhood/teen years are in storage, hoping to get my hands on them sometime in March!

• Love
Reactions: Jorick
Haha - sounds like every copy of my Mary Stewart books. I have to read them in segments, cause it's falling apart, but finding her books is so hard ;_;

• Bucket of Rainbows
As a kid, I loved the Berenstein Bears, Corduroy, Amelia Bedelia, The Boxcar Kids,Thoroughbred series, Saddle Club series, King of the Wind (I adored this book).

In my high school years, I had a lot of books I had to read through school that I greatly enjoyed like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Great Expectations, 1984, Fahrenheit 451. Outside of school, I read Eragon and those books. There was one book having to do with Immortals, I think it's actually called The Immortals series, and it was about these characters named Ever and Damon. Absolutely loved those books, but I had them in my trunk and my trunk leaked ;.; Pretty much anything by Jennifer Donelly. She either is or just did put out a Beauty and The Beast book. I forgot exactly what it is about. I want it.... OH.. werewolves with Shiver and all that. There was another series I read that I'm not remembering the name of. Fever Crumb! I recently got more books related to that one.

I really want to get back into reading. I should read before bed instead of sitting there on my phone.

• Love
The Boxcar Kids,
Another series I completely forgot to mention xD

I used to read a lot of Judy Blume books (Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, anyone?) and Ronald Dahl a lot.

>.>' I'd also secretly read my mom's Nora Robert books sometimes. ^_^'

Anyone read the Black Stallion series?

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Kitti and Celest
@Jorick Thank goodness for grandmas! Mine was a second grade teacher, and she was determined that we were going to be avid readers. I'm so grateful for her influence!

Reactions: Jorick
@Jorick Thank goodness for grandmas! Mine was a second grade teacher, and she was determined that we were going to be avid readers. I'm so grateful for her influence!
My grandma was actually the opposite :'D She would wonder why I choose to read fiction. Thankfully my parents had opposite thoughts.

My grandma was actually the opposite :'D She would wonder why I choose to read fiction. Thankfully my parents had opposite thoughts.

Wow! I'm not sure why a child would NOT read fiction, to be honest. How is the mind to soar and imagination to blossom otherwise. My parents didn't read at all. Neither of my parents graduated high school so they didn't have an interest in reading because they couldn't understand what they read. They were determined that I would graduate and go to college, and they were very glad that I did love to read.

For her it was more like, why are you wasting time reading things that are fiction when there's so much factual stuff you can be reading?

Reading and writing was very much encouraged by my parents. My first computer was bought so that I could type out my stories ^_^

But I digress!

You reminded me that my grandmother had a set of books that I adored when I was small. It was a series of collections of stories (one had tall tales from American storytelling, one was fables, etc.) and they had all kinds of selections from different cultures. I was captivated by the cultures and places that I found in some of the stories. It was my first time ever learning about a place called India for instance (I was very young).

• Love
Discworld: When I was 12 I had fallen out with reading because it was boring and lame. I was a decent reader but I just wouldn't read anything unless I was forced to.

So one weekend I had nothing to do and was being a pain about it, so my mum got my sister to give me a book (Nightwatch) to read and said I wasn't allowed to do anything 'fun' till I'd read the book and answered some questions about it. My attitude going in was to skim it as fast as possible in a sorta I'll show you thing.

About thirty pages in I was hooked and I went back to the beginning to read it properly cover to cover before asking my sister if she had any more of them. Reading that book made me remember how much fun reading could be and it's still my favorite book to this day.

• Love
I've got a lot of books from my childhood, shelves and shelves full of them (I was a very avid reader when I was younger), so I'll only list off the ones that matter to me.

The Artemis Fowl series is a big one for me, it will always hold a special place in my heart. I practically grew up with those books, every time a new one would come out I felt a level of excitement that I could never forget for as long as I live. I read about Artemis's adventures well into my teen years, even now I eagerly await the next edition of the graphic novel adaptations that I can only hope is on its way. Also, I'm still waiting on that movie I was promised gosh darn it.

Next up is Warriors, this ongoing series could potentially be right up there with Artemis Fowl in terms of how much I enjoyed it. The only problem being that I really only care for the first series of books; the second one was good too, but anything beyond that is kind of meh. Even so, I absolutely loved these books, I used to stay up all night reading them. I don't hold it to as high esteem as I do Artemis, mainly because there's only a small portion of the books as a whole that I actually enjoy. The rest are okay at best, and the overall storyline has been twisted and stretched so much that it's hardly recognizable; there's really only so much you can do with the concept of clan cats living in the wild. If the series had ended after the first six books like I feel like it should have, I would probably have a much higher appreciate for it.

A Series of Unfortunate Events is worth mentioning as well, due to the recent Netflix series of which I am very much a fan of. It captures everything I loved about the books and improves upon it, which is exactly the kind of thing I look for in any adaptation.

Other childhood books include, but are not limited to, Charlie Bone, The Boxcar Children, Captain Underpants, Percy Jackson, and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Discworld: When I was 12 I had fallen out with reading because it was boring and lame. I was a decent reader but I just wouldn't read anything unless I was forced to.

So one weekend I had nothing to do and was being a pain about it, so my mum got my sister to give me a book (Nightwatch) to read and said I wasn't allowed to do anything 'fun' till I'd read the book and answered some questions about it. My attitude going in was to skim it as fast as possible in a sorta I'll show you thing.

About thirty pages in I was hooked and I went back to the beginning to read it properly cover to cover before asking my sister if she had any more of them. Reading that book made me remember how much fun reading could be and it's still my favorite book to this day.
Fellow Discworld fan! <3

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo
Let's see Calvin and Hobbs
Box car children
Redwall series
warriors series
Harry Potter series
Varjak paw Series
Siren series
Paranormal series
Hardy boys