Books from your Childhood

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a huge bookworm as a kid. I would literally read anything and everything put in front of me. I'm not even exaggerating either. My parents bought me a set of kid encyclopedias....I read every single one of them in a week. Mind you, I did skip through some of the more boring topics.....

My first favorite book though was Tale of the Fourth Grade Nothing, followed by Superfudge. And then I jumped a whole lot of levels in maturity and dove right into Stephen King a few years later. Before that, Christopher Pike was one of my favorite authors. (I was delighted to learn that he wrote a few adult novels as well. Falling is one of my favorite novels.)

I loved 'Choose your own adventure' books, because I could read them multiple times without coming to the same ending each time.

I'm also a bit embarrassed to admit that V.C Andrews was also one of my favorite authors in middle school. I did a book report on Flowers in the Attic and ended up reading every book with her name one it. Kind of twisted stuff for a kid of eleven to be reading though....=/

Did anyone else have those big Disney books that had buttons on the side? I had The Little Mermaid. I'm amazed my parents survived listening to the seagulls 24/7 lol

A dog named Skip/My Dog Skip
Where the Red Fern Grows
The Dog who Wouldn't Be
Old Yeller
Harry Potter
Warriors
Anything by Tolkien
Stand By Me

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Greenie
When I was a child, it was the set of Winnie The Pooh books that I still have to this day.

When I hit double-digit age, it was The Chronicles of Narnia, Goosebumps, The Outsiders, The Giver, and a surprising amount of my mother's trashy romance novels.

• Love
I've always enjoyed reading but I got to do little of it before I was ten, I think. Age ten to thirteen was when I finished a thousand or two thousand books in one, extremely long marathon because back then, school was easy, homeschool was easier and I had nothing else to do in my free time because me being the weird me, I didn't like cartoons or video games (as opposed to now, where I am an avid gamer)!

I read and reread every single Sherlock Holmes when I was eleven or twelve, I believe! Or perhaps even before that. Furthermore in that same set of years (2010-2013) the two main series I followed were Warriors and Ranger's Apprentice. On top of that, when I still used to go to public school (before 2010) I read as much Tintin and Enid Blyton books as I could get my hands on. Later on, my brother brought them from the school library and I devoured them much like I would devour an exquisite cake. Ravenously.

Later onwards, I found Battle Magic by Tamora Pierce in the library. It was 2013, I believe, perhaps earlier. That was the start of a long marathon of binge reading every single one of her books.

Now, I have failed to mention the king of all these books. That is because I'm not sure whether this was part of my childhood reading (2010-2013) or later, however-

The Belgariad. It's cliche, some parts of it are slow and it'll be boring for an adult. I've reread it and it gets a bit boring for me as well. But that doesn't matter. It's already cast it's spell. Sometimes you just don't enjoy tasting the same cake over and over again but the first time, it's precious. It was also my first introduction, probably, to grand, sweeping epic fantasy. It's just done well for a process and plot type used over and over again.

Since then I have become obsessed with Lord of the Rings and the Wheel of Time (the great love of my life when it comes to book series) among the big names and have enjoyed the Red Knight series, the Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne series, the Shadow Campaign series and the like very much.

Among my recent delights have been the Dresden File series and, to a lesser extent, the Percy Jackson series as well. Yes. I read Percy Jackson when I was sixteen.

I am not a fan of the Harry Potter books but love the worldbuilding in it and wish it was explored more.

• Love
Wow I see many Redwall fans! I actually never read the series, but once I accidentally stumbled upon the show as an adult and fell in love... I used to wake up 6:30 am just to watch it on my tune tuner.

I think I'm going to read the books now :D

Just... putting this out there. Don't mind me.

Hope it's okay to post this here.

• Thank You
Ah, goddamnit.

When I was eight, I was introduced to Roald Dahl. There has never been an author like him since his passing. His stories got me into reading as my great passion and I enjoy his stories in a special way.

• Love
  • Thank You
Reactions: Adaon ril'Morgerard
No, Thank you!!! I wanted to put it here myself but didn't get a chance!
I already had a Redwall episode open on a tab because I was rewatching them for entertainment and nostalgic purposes (Basil Stag Hare for the win!). So I thought why not contribute to the Redwall hype here!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Later onwards, I found Battle Magic by Tamora Pierce in the library. It was 2013, I believe, perhaps earlier. That was the start of a long marathon of binge reading every single one of her books.
Man, that's the only book from her Circle of Magic series that I haven't read! Along with Terrier etc. Need to read those otherwise I'll be incomplete.

Did anyone else have those big Disney books that had buttons on the side? I had The Little Mermaid. I'm amazed my parents survived listening to the seagulls 24/7 lol
My sister had the very same one until I, being a very annoyed 9 year old child, smashed it. She'd play that stupid book at night. At the table. EVERYWHERE. Drove me apeshite.

God damn seagulls.

My favorite books were (and still are) comics, but not the american ones..
i'm still a fan of Astérix, you know? the gaul, i consider the anti-hero as a legend, i wanted to meet Goscinny as a kid, but he died many years before i was born.. back to the character, i'm still a fan of him, and how surprised i was when a book appeared in a sketch of mister Bean, haha..

I would include Tintin, but it's pretty dead.. too bad..

'Le petit Nicolas', another book serie scenarized by Goscinny, the stories revolved around a boy named Nicolas, living a normal life, yet, have a lot of imagination.

The now-Legends Star Wars novels and the Forgotten Realms novels (especially Drizzt books) were my shit.

And I generally read a lot of TSR and D&D novels anyway, among other sci fi and fantasy stuff.

What books did you read while you were growing up?

I used to read a lot of Encyclopedia Brown, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and Tintin, basically what got me loving mysteries.

As for fantasy, it was books by Tamora Pierce, especially her Song of the Lioness series.

Oh! Let's not forget Asterix comics ^_^ They were both good in humour and history! (:P)

Redwall, all if them! Such good stories and lovable characters. I need to read those again...

Lord of the Rings.... my dad read them to me when I was sick and I fell in love.

Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Anderson. I'm a suckered for a good fairytale (I'm talking classic not the happily ever after stuff. Bot have their place but classic is my go to)

Dragon Lance... I forget the individual titles but I read a lot of those

• Love
Drizzt series by RA Salvatore -- corny as all get out with a GMPC as a main character...but its like a wish fulfillment action comic in novel form!

...and I just realized Drizzt Do'Urden is disturbingly similar to Kirito from SAO

(angsty backstory, dual wielding, fastest swordsman in his 'verse, hot girlfriend who is a fighter)

Shoutouts to Harry The Dirty Dog, the first book I can remember reading by myself for the fun of it.

But as for things that I read in school.

Elementary: Harry Potter, Animorphs, and Hank The Cowdog. Also a liiiitttle artemis fowl, but I can't remember anything from it. I won this artemis fowl book with a blue bubbly cover and there were strange symbols on the pages.

Middleschool: Cirque Du Freak, and The Demonata, but don't ask why, looking back on them, they were trash, Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, Ender's Game, and The Dark Side of Nowhere

Highschool: wasn't required to read much, so most of my reading was RP, but I do remember the first Maze Runner book sort of, Micheal Chrighton's books like Jurrassic Park and Timeline, also The One That Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and The Green Mile.

A lot of these books have become movies, and A LOT of those movies were terrible, save for the Harry Potter series (who's fans I don't associate with) And Jurassic park, Cuckoo's Nest, and The Green Mile.

A lot of these books have become movies, and A LOT of those movies were terrible, save for the Harry Potter series (who's fans I don't associate with) And Jurassic park, Cuckoo's Nest, and The Green Mile.
*Whose not who's.

Status
Not open for further replies.