Black vs. African-American- which do you use?

What is your favored term?

• Black.

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • African-American.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Something vague and politically correct, like People of Color

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else entirely (Please please please comment with what you use)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Something politically incorrect/considered offensive

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I just wanted to push a button.

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't really use terms like that. The most recent time that I've used it was when I was telling someone at work something that "Chris" wanted me to say. The thing is though, there are three different people named "Chris" or "Kris" where I work. One is a white male, one a white female and the other is black. And it just so happened that the one that wanted me to pass on the message was black, so I said "Black Chris". If it was one of the others I would have said either "White Chris" or "Female Kris". I use the term "black" because calling someone an "African-American" would be the same as calling me "Irish-American". I'm white. I may be Irish by blood considering who my ancestors are, but that's about it. Now if it gets to where I call myself "Irish-American", sure I'll switch. But until then, I'm sticking with the way that I go.

I never really thought about it til now but i have been born and bread to say Black. My parents didn't teach me to hate or discriminate anyone but rather to take them on a one-by-one basis and I still go by that to this day.

Thanks for the article, @Scrap Iron
In an ongoing criminal investigation, not mentioning the race of the suspect is just stupid. Especially in a college town, there might be 10,000 young adult males between the height of 5'10 and 6'1. The more details, the better- it's not profiling if there is reasonable suspicion.

And the Chris thing reminds me of my second grade class, haha. We had Sabine, Sabrina, Serena, and Karina- it took the teacher two months to get us straight and the substitutes hated our class. They told me I was being rude when I reminded them that I was the only white girl, and the only one with an E on the end, so it should be easy to remember me, at least. XD

If I were Black I would be proud to be called Black. I am Brown? I think... But I am damn proud of it!

I only give the proper respect to Blacks in writing by saying that they are Black not black. (note the capitalization)

Hmm. The capitalization question is interesting. To me, it seems to suggest a formal group- which I'm not sure if the color of one's skin really qualifies for. XD I think being White sounds pretty pretentious, but it would be silly to capitalize one and not the other, so I think black & white will have to go without capital letters from my end.

I either use Black, or PoC, usually the latter when referring to non-white people in a plural context. I mean, African-American doesn't make much sense for me since I'm in Europe. With saying PoC I say it when I refer to ethnic groups not my own and complaining they have it rough.

I say Black.

Because African-American is not applicable outside of North America, and it can also refer to white people (white South Africans living in America would technically be African-American).

My friends MY N**** (Apply to all races when i use it)

Around a strict teacher What good my fellow African-American comrade.

When i see someone being a ratchet or acting extremely ignorant and is serious i put on my white voice that i stole from Dave Chapplle(Spelling) and say "Oh Gash, God damn these uppity n*****s."

Elder person Sir or Ma'am because i would never say that to a elder.

I don't really care about what people call themselves, I call myself African American because my dad is African and my mom is American.

I don't call myself black because guess what? My skin is not black, it is brown.

The whole 'black' and white' thing came from white missionaries doing the 'White is allied with all that is good' and 'Black is allied with all that is bad'.

Last edited:
The way I've always heard it, English inherited the term black from German. Thing is, especially in premodern German, black and dark aren't always distinguished (for example, a black room could mean one with no lights on). Then when English came along, we kept on using the same term, only black doesn't have quite as many possible interpretations.
It's also useful because, especially in the Southwest, brown usually refers more to "mestizo", to use an outdated term, or a person of Amerindian-European descent. Brown and usually darker brown would be pretty vague, irritating to use terms. Besides, it's not like white people are actually white. XD I've only seen one person in my entire life pale enough that I would consider white more correct than peach, tan, beige, etc.

If I were of an African decent, I'd be fucking PISSED right now!!

That's all I can even say about this. I understand the intention of the thread, but it's just fucking WRONG on principal.

Is this what it's come to on RP Forums? Discussing what word(s) we all use to identify people of African decent??

I need a lil break from RP'ing.

@Michael J Saulnier While I get what you're saying, as a person that isn't of African decent your feelings on this thread are pretty much null.

As for the rest of this thread, what any black person, or any PoC, wants to be called is up to that person themselves.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
@Michael J Saulnier While I get what you're saying, as a person that isn't of African decent your feelings on this thread are pretty much null.

As for the rest of this thread, what any black person, or any PoC, wants to be called is up to that person themselves.

Agreed. ^^

This is not a RP thread. If you don't want to talk about OOC issues, it's really easy to avoid the entire chat section. ^^ Providing you do, this is a valid point of discussion. This is not an issue that can, or should, be ignored and forgotten. In addition many people, myself included, play non-white characters. Gaining insight on how to refer to these characters in situationally appropriate, politically correct, and sociologically accurate ways is a valuable tool.
For example, if you believe in the most widely held scientific theory, "people of African descent" applies to literally everyone on the planet. XD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recent_African_origin_of_modern_humans
See, you've already learned something from this thread!

Reactions: Scrap Iron
First of all, I grew up in a community where white folks were a minority. I know as many of more black people as I know white.

Second, colored is a derogatory term folks used a long time ago in place of words that began with the letter N which at that time were no longer viewed as particularly acceptable. It's what closet racists called black people when they didn't know what else to call them. ("Colored" was a racist place holder, an it's no more chill than the N-Bomb in my eyes)

They're Black! Don't be scared to say it cause it sounds heavy on the tongue. Ask them what they wanna be called, they'll tell you they're black people, believe me, many of my friends are African-Canadians.

I don't know a single black person who is okay with being called colored. Not one (but I know plenty of old white folks who use the term).

Ladies, think of being called a bitch(colored). Now think about being called a cunt or whore(N-Bomb).
It's the lesser of two evils.

They've embraced, and call themselves and each other black (or brotha/Sista). What's the hold up?

All I'm sayin is, either call them African-Canadian/American, or Black. You don't need to launch a poll, and discuss them like inanimate objects, or aliens not yet named as a species. They're human beings, and this sort of thing happening in 2013 is degrading to every black man and woman on the planet. You don't see a poll about what to call Asians, East Indians, or white folks, now do you? It's like a poll about what you like to call zombies.

It just feels wrong on a societal level at this stage of the game, folks. Tell me I'm wrong if I am, but I think I've made a strong case.

I know you didn't mean any harm, Sabine. We've talked, that whole smite incident we cleared up (Kyle denies it, but I know he did it, he's the only one I let read my stuff besides my lady when I have one), and you seem like a great person. And I'm sorry for how I reacted initially, it just seemed so obscure and innocently degrading.

NOW, you've learned something from this thread.

You don't need to launch a poll, and discuss them like inanimate objects, or aliens not yet named as a species. They're human beings, and this sort of thing happening in 2013 is degrading to every black man and woman on the planet. You don't see a poll about what to call Asians, East Indians, or white folks, now do you?

I understand where you're coming from here, but I think the intent of the thread is something different. The point is not to discuss the people so much as it is to discuss the labels associated with them. The issue of labels in this case is uniquely complex because, as has been pointed out, there are many different countries whose dominant people-group are of a skin color that would lend itself to the label "black" or what have you. Asians are Asians, Germans are Germans, and there is no ambiguity there. The label by which they are called has not changed as it has with black people. The term "African-American" came into popular use because the term black was seen as offensive to some, but it is not accurate for everyone to whom it is applied. Now there's a shift back towards the use of black. The discussion is not about looking at anyone as an inanimate object. It is to open conversation on a social issue.

It's still offensive as shit to black folks... It's degrading to think that people still have to ask questions like this.

And again, you don't see polls about what to call whites, asians, hispanics, or east Indians. That would be down-right racist.

It's 2013, time to start viewing everyone as a human being. No more or less.

I get that. If you read my initial post, I don't even consider a person's ethnicity to be relevant unless someone explicitly asks for it. Not everyone is on the same page though, and I don't think it's constructive to shame them for trying to talk about it if the intent of that discussion is to gain an understanding.

YOu shouldn't need this thread, OR poll to understand.... That's my entire fucking point Shokkou. -_- Now you've made me go there in-full.

If you need this thread to further your understanding on the subject, you SHOULD be ashamed. And that says a lot about you as a person.

Michael J. Saulnier said:
If you need this thread to further your understanding on the subject, you SHOULD be ashamed. And that says a lot about you as a person.

AHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUHU

Annnnnnnnnd that's what I mean by there being extensive academia written about this kind shit. 'Cause it's the always the same old shit-ass points being made over and over in the face of that academia. That's what actually stunts progression in these conversations when the only book people feel they should reference in these clusterfucks is the dictionary's definition of a particular word or two.

LOOOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL FUCK MY EXPOSITION, mini LINK DUMP because my ass got photography class in 20 minuteslolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololooooooooooooooooool.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2009/02/microaggression.aspx
http://www.apa.org/monitor/2009/02/microaggression.aspx
http://www.stcloudstate.edu/affirmativeaction/resources/insights/pdf/28ToolsChange.pdf

http://www.raceforward.org/research/reports/moving-race-conversation-forward

teeheehuuhuuheeheehaaaw

Last edited by a moderator:
How dare you try and belittle people for taking an opportunity to learn something, or for trying to present such an opportunity. Not everyone is exposed to this kind of thing at the same point in their lives, and not everyone is presented with the same perspective. Just because they had an upbringing which may have precluded them from becoming well versed on every social issue, or because they don't know where to find information on those issues, or because they're slower in figuring out how to approach those issues... That is no justification for looking down on them. Everyone has something that they struggle with. The important question is: are they trying to learn and improve themselves? If the answer is yes, regardless of what that issue is, then damnit that is good enough. They will get there eventually. If you want to present them with where to find the information on that issue, great. By all means help them along. But don't you dare try and use their position as an excuse to puff up your own ego. I would rather deal with someone who is struggling to understand something than someone who has a firm grasp and thinks that makes them better than anyone else.

Fucking disgraceful.

Reactions: Lady Sabine
Status
Not open for further replies.