Big comic discussion thread.

So it is pronounced Constan-TEEN or Constan-TIE-n ?

Seriously though, those Hellblazer books are amazing. The old Swamp Things are really good too, as well as Preacher. Y the Last Man is an amazing read. And you can't leave out Sandman! (OR WATCHMEN!)

That said, from the Big 2, I'm much more of a Marvel fan. Superior Spider-Man was one of the best Spidey books to come out in a long, LONG time, especially after that One More Day and Brand New Day bullshite. Hawkeye's latest run that started back in 2012 or 2011 is absolutely incredible. Amazing art, hilarious story-telling. It doesn't take itself too seriously, but it's a great read. The new She-Hulk was really good, and the same with Daredevil, and Moon Knight.

I just really enjoy the new direction a lot of these solo titles are going. It's this whole new feel and vibe. They feel less spandex and super-hero-y, which I really enjoy.

I haven't read All-New Captain America, but I did read the 25 issues pre-ceding it. Wasn't impressed (But I did like the first few issues for the Dimension Z arc).

I haven't really picked my way through New 52. I love Batman, of course. Court of Owls is up there as one of THE BEST Bat-stories out there, along with The Long Halloween, and Dark Knight Returns. New 52 Aquaman is really great, just to give the guy some due props, and Action Comics 1-20 were absolutely great reads (Grant Morrison FTW). Flash is pretty decent too. I heard JSA and Earth-2 were really good, but I never picked them up.

Overall though, I just... don't like the lack of legacy involved in the New 52. I know why they did it, but I didn't like it, especially in how they handled Green Lantern stuff. So AAALLLL of this legacy material never happened!! Except the Green Lantern stuff! And some Batman stuff. And MAAAAYBE some of this... It's like, wait, what?

Annnnd... That's all I have to say about that.
Constan-teen

Not really read his Punisher stuff (not a big Punisher man, to be honest), but his Hellblazer and Judge Dredd work? Fucking immense.

Constan-teen

It's technically both. In American we pronounce that name "Constan-teen", whereas in the UK it's "Constan-tyne"

Because I'm a nerd like that, I say Constan-tyne.

ALSO @Grumpy I would definitely read through Punisher MAX if you get a chance. It's what happens when you don't run Punisher comics through a censor first.

As a whole, I'd recommend the entire MAX series. Thor being a particular favorite as well.

• Thank You
Reactions: Minibit
Didn't they actually say in-character in one of the 1980s comics that its pronounced Constan-TYNE?

I recall it was the storyline where he came to America and briefly switched out the trench for a black leather jacket

Unsurprisingly, the storyline was stupid

It got better when he was back in the UK with a trench

Can't go wrong with Y: The Last Man, Preacher or Sandman. Funny you guys mention Constantine, I just bought the first trade a few days ago, looking forward to getting stuck into those. I'm also waiting for nice hardcovers of Transmetropolitan that aren't Absolute sized to come out before I bite on that series. I also need to catch up on Fables too.

Superhero wise, I enjoy Invincible and the older Marvel runs like Claremont's X-Men, Simonson's Thor, Lee (and Stern's) Spider-man, Byrne's Fantastic Four, Millar's Daredevil. There have been some nice modern runs in Marvel as well but most of the current stuff is pretty unappealing to me, although I wanna check out Waid's Daredevil soon. On the DC side I don't follow much of it either, but what I read of the Green Lantern/Corps stuff up to Blackest Night was really good, Corps especially.

For those of you interested in comics not related to superheroes I'd recommend Stray Bullets. I picked that up on a blindbuy a couple of weeks ago and have been really, really enjoying it. :D

My noob is showing with being quiet through most of this talk! XD

@Skirata OMG! I read Court of Owls and thought to myself this is what I wanted from reading comic books! _spoilers to the court of owls story if you have not read it. You been warned_ I mean Batman getting out this big machine and just beating up the owl members and having a big massive fight all over Gotham and Batman just barely getting out of each situation the Owls put him in and to top it all off the end fight where they reveal that Bruce Wayne maybe has a brother?! Oh dear god! That is like wow!Death of the Family I read and ............ I really felt creeped out by it. I heard from some this is how Joker normally is in the comics and his type of villany is just that screwed up, but it really turned me off to the whole thing. I need to read Zero year and get caught up to the new stuff with Batman. I am so far behind! DAMN NOT HAVING MONEY!

@Pachamac mentioned Stray Bullets. That's a good one. Reminds me of another bullet related title: 100 Bullets. Similar noir style to the likes of HellBoy and great storyline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pachamac
Yeah, 100 Bullets was awesome, but dragged on a bit too long just to try and reach 100 issues. Still enjoyable, though!

I also have DMZ on my backlog amidst countless others...

Yeah, 100 Bullets was awesome, but dragged on a bit too long just to try and reach 100 issues. Still enjoyable, though!
I also have DMZ on my backlog amidst countless others...

Completely forgot about DMZ. That's another good one.

Oh, and the Exterminators, if anyone is interested in bug apocalypses.

Also forgot to add that damned 30 Days of Night. By far one of the best vampire and general horror comics around, in my opinion.

Gunnerkrigg Court is amazing. For manga, Black Jack, Hunter X Hunter, Toriko.