1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Modern, Romance
So, yesterday I had somebody notice my Dark Mark tattoo on my arm. The conversation went as follows:

Them: Wow, awesome tattoo! I love wizard stuff.
Me: Yeah? You prefer the books or movies?
Them: Oh, no, I don't know anything about Harry Potter. I just watched Wizards of Waverly Place on Disney. It's basically the same thing.

Excuse you. No it is most assuredly not basically the same thing!

23tf3bb.jpg

/rage

Anyway, it has come to my attention that there are a lot of things out there that people do this to, whether it be books, movies, or shows. What ones have you come across? Any that make you want to pull your hair out? Star Trek vs Star Wars, anyone..?

I keep coming across people who compare the Beatles to One Direction.

This needs to stop.

• Love
Reactions: Gonzo and Ethys
I once saw someone say the Twilight series was basically the same thing as Dracula by Bram Stoker. They were soundly and thoroughly mocked.

I've also seem some people say that Game of Thrones is basically Lord of the Rings with gratuitous sex and violence added in, and a couple claims of the same sort but replacing LotR with "fantasy Star Wars." I don't understand how anyone could come to that kind of conclusion, but I've seen a good half a dozen claims of the LotR version. People are dumb.

I've also been told that 'He's not a jackass, he's a guy. Same thing.'
Whoa, bitch. Who denied you a one night stand?

anigif_enhanced-buzz-16509-1376326851-22.gif

Closest case I can think of is people saying they love anime, but the only one's on their list is stuff like Naruto and Bleach.

Other than that everyone I've dealt either knows the difference between the things mentioned by others, or there's such a disconnect between us via our interests that such a conversation has never even came up.

Reactions: Ethys
Espresso is not the same as drip coffee

• Thank You
Reactions: Adelaide and Ethys
And a latte is not the same as hot milk in a cup! Heard that one a lot XD

B3BE5vk.jpg

Nowhere? That's what I thought.

B3BE5vk.jpg

Nowhere? That's what I thought.
I don't understand the comparison; this is an "X is basically the same as Y" "UM NO" thread, innit? O.o

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I don't understand the comparison; this is an "X is basically the same as Y" "UM NO" thread, innit? O.o
Yes. Yes that is the point. Role playing is not the same as writing by any stretch. Unless you go by the most strict definition of what writing is, then role playing is comparable even to essays, and that's a tad facetious isn't it?

Role playing =/= writing. :ferret:

Yes. Yes that is the point. Role playing is not the same as writing by any stretch. Unless you go by the most strict definition of what writing is, then role playing is comparable even to essays, and that's a tad facetious isn't it?

Role playing =/= writing. :ferret:
You picked the wrong venue to belittle a role players place in the writing world :/

My novel is going wonderfully, thank you ^_^

Reactions: Adelaide and Brovo
You picked the wrong venue to belittle a role players place in the writing world :/
I'd like to point out the fact that you gave a thank rating to Hellis's post. Brovo said the same exact thing, just with less length and enthusiasm. If it's his tone and delivery that you object to then I can understand that, but if it's the actual core message that you disagree with and you think the two of them were saying different things then you likely misinterpreted one of them.

Aaaaaaaanyway, back on topic (sorta because it's not a media thing) with something else that might cause outrage, there are a lot of radical feminists (the kinds who get so extreme that they'd be better labeled misandrists) who say that a guy looking at their boobs is basically the same thing as rape. That's pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

I agree with Jorick [about the boob thing].

I also don't see the point about getting annoyed at being stared at. They're just trying to memorize what perfection looks like. Be proud, ladies! Strut yo' stuff. Also, this:

https://www.facebook.com/ChrisCrockerOFFICIAL/videos/10152862441494007

I also don't think that a guy getting hit in the balls is 'basically the same' as shoving a wailing spawn out of your hoo-ha. Jussayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.