Avatars, Signatures and Usernames, Oh Myyyyyy

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LogicfromLogic

Original poster
george-takei.gif

So, everyone has either a theme or that one character that they always use for their avatars.

Some have used them for their entire net history, others have just began to really develop their personas with them. My questions are:

*When did you first start using your avatar, and/or signature?
*Do you have a general theme?
*When you see other's avatars/siggys for long enough (and this will be a bit of an odd question), do you start either seeing them as that avatar or just whenever you see that particular character/picture, you associate it with that user?
*Do you think that if someone is already using that avatar or signature on that particular site, that you should use a different one?
*How long have you used your username?

I started using Timon after I joined Furaffinity Forums. After that, Timon became my thing (don't know why), and I started using The Hobbit (Fili and Kili) after the movie, and after i started posting the 'At your service' on welcomes.

Timon has become my theme really, and on Iwaku Fili and Kili.

Though I really should use Bofur because I've got more in common with his personality.

*When you see other's avatars/siggys for long enough (and this will be a bit of an odd question), do you start either seeing them as that avatar or just whenever you see that particular character/picture, you associate it with that user?
Yes.

There's a fellow running around here with a House sig, and now whenever I see a picture of Dr. House, I think of that user.

*Do you think that if someone is already using that avatar or signature on that particular site, that you should use a different one?

Of course; if someone else had The Hobbit on here before myself, I'd have changed my avatar a while ago. But timon is MY theme. *clutches signature*

I've used LogicfromLogic since I first started going on the internet, and that was when I was about thirteen.

Reactions: Fluffy
When did you first start using your avatar, and/or signature?
I started using these owls back in November. >> And my grammar stuff has been in my siggy FOREVER.

Do you have a general theme?
not really! but I do like finding pictures that fit the month.

When you see other's avatars/siggys for long enough (and this will be a bit of an odd question), do you start either seeing them as that avatar or just whenever you see that particular character/picture, you associate it with that user?
I dun see them AS the thing in the picture, but I do start associating it with them. >>

Do you think that if someone is already using that avatar or signature on that particular site, that you should use a different one?
No, that'd be silly. Unless it's custom graphics someone made. then that'd be weird.

How long have you used your username?
Prolly since 2000. >> Diana Notacat the username that is. I have been Diana forever.

My avatars change pretty regularly. This particular one is only a few days old. And I luvs it~ My sig has been pokéfarm for far too long. I don't even go on the site anymore .___. Just laziness is keeping it there.

Not usually, no. My sigs and avatars bounce between being incredibly silly to depressing depending on whether I like the visual/message or not.

Sometimes, as long as I haven't actually seen that person. As soon as I see their face, though, I associate them with that memory rather than their avatar.

Not unless it was drawn by that particular user.

Forever. Since I started roleplaying, though it has been condensed down into a shorter form. LuluRS = Lucian Ravenscar. Everyone called me Lulu anyway, so it fit better~

This is the first time.

I like my stuff to go together, but it changes depending on how I feel.

When you see other's avatars/siggys for long enough (and this will be a bit of an odd question), do you start either seeing them as that avatar or just whenever you see that particular character/picture, you associate it with that user?
Seems like a normal question to me. Yes I do. I start seeing them as their avatar.

Do you think that if someone is already using that avatar or signature on that particular site, that you should use a different one?
I would but manly because there's more varity, it's easier to tell the people a part, and I like being unique.

First time I've used this one. Though I've been considering it for a while.

This one.. I just started using earlier in December when I popped back on Iwaku. Annnd as for my siggy, I've been using that since the first year I've been on Iwaku. I don't touch it. :D The lyrics have been there since the first day, and the "Stacisaur" siggy that Diana made has been there since Diana made it. <3

Theme? I guess.. I'm my own theme. :D YAY COLORS AND MAGIC. YAAAY.

No, this isn't odd. I do relate the person to their avatar. Like, Torst for example. I don't recall if he still uses it, but he had one with this trophy on it and this guy kissing the trophy, and I thought in my head, THAT is Torst. I don't know why. I do it with everyone. Like, Jinx will always be a robot with a flower. Diana, to me at least, will always be that guy from The Road To El Dorado. Nuff said.

I don't think it should matter too much. I mean, we have a default avatar of that bunny thing. Does that mean the default users are to blame? No. So, I don't think it matters.. Each person is their own person. It all comes out in how they write, as well.

I think I've had it since I came here. Actually, I think it was xXPurpleStaticXx first, then I changed it. So, yeah.

Reactions: Torsty
So am I the only one who just uses whatever looks cool?

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
My signature's currently a very subtle advertisement to an rp I'm gm-ing, so it doesn't really mean much.
As for my avatar, well I first started using it here. I found out about this site right around the time when I finished the Anne of Green Gables 1985 film, and I'm very much in love with the character. And yes, I've read the book, and I've only just begun its sequel, Anne of Avonlea. That one I'm reading as slowly as Anne is growing in the book, which is about a chapter per month. I'm trying to grow up with the character, y'see: 'currently', we're both sixteen and a half.

My theme changes depending on whatever. Currently, it's whatever.

I don't do any of that. I have no imagination.
Lol, no. I don't I see them as the avatar, and neither do I associate the avatar-image outside of the site with the user . I usually just imagine the faces seemingly most appropriate for the user's behaviors and choices in general. So if a user's everything is focused on food, I'd probably imagine a very unflattering portrait of that user.

As long as that someone hasn't made the avatar his "trademark" both inside and outside of that site.

Two, three years? But I've only started registering accounts on sites with this username for about a year. Before that I just used the name for stuff with impermanent accounts, like lan parties and whatever. In fact, the name was born out of my now not-as-strong love for video games.
RiverNotch - The "River" in the "RiverNotch" was inspired by a main character in the video game "To The Moon" (if you're gonna try that out, DO NOT spoil yourself with the story. The whole impact of the game depends on it. It's like... I dunno, the Usual Suspects in that respect. Only sadder. And not sadder as in "sappier" sadder, but sadder as in "existential meaninglessness" sadder. I mean, that video game made me cry for two straight hours...). The "Notch" was taken from the pseudonym of the maker of the game "Minecraft", (arguably) my favorite video game.

I change my Avatar and my Signature regularly. I do always use something other than a real picture. So Anime, wolves, elements--I use them mostly. My signature changes when feel like something new should be on it. I usually have gifs of my favorite Anime, or of one that I am working on.
Well, I guess my general theme is things that are weird or not real.
I tend to actually do that. If I roleplay with someone for a long time, I start to view them as their avatar, unless I see an actual picture of them.
Yes, in a way. Because I like to be unique.
I have used this particular Username for over 3 years. The name came from my religion, so I just use it.

I've had this siggy forever! Diana made it for me. I can't not use it because she used my favorite color, red, and the phrase is something unique and awesome! It's reflecting my love for cupcakes. Also, I'm totes sexy.

I started using this avatar like a week ago I think. The first time I saw the Futurama episode with this Pimparoo, I died laughing. Futurama is my favorite show, so I love to use avatars representing that.

Sort of... I change my themes a lot. It goes between Darth Vader, gas masks, and cupcakes. All are things I'm known to obsess over.

I just associate it with them. I've known people to use avatars that don't represent them as people at all, they'd just use it because it was funny or something. xD

Honestly, I'm usually too high to care about this kind of stuff. :D

Umm, a long time... At least 5 years, I think. It's stuck with me so well that my gaming UNs are Fluffy, too.

When I first signed up here some months ago.

No.

I imagine everyone in white jumpsuits with a mask of their avatar on their faces unless I know what they look like.

Sure.

More than five years, less than ten years.

I have always used FryeAruna as my Handle names, and a few times I have used Yggdrasil. Fijoli came into Iwaku a new born, I truly love my new found name for its simple and common norwegian name. I get to be myself with a name I wish I had in RL. My inner Viking warrior woman has her soft sides, but goodness she gets an attitude.

My general theme I like to say is Me. Staying true to who I really am inside and also add the fantasy aspects I will never obtain, unleashing my imagination is very important to me and the kind of creative person that I am. Fijoli is by far my greatest self I have found yet.

*When you see other's avatars/siggys for long enough (and this will be a bit of an odd question), do you start either seeing them asthat avatar or just whenever you see that particular character/picture, you associate it with that user?
I do, very much, see those I come to know as they portray themselves, even now I still call October, "October" even though we have our real names we still call each other by our Iwaku names. Perhaps for the reason of simply meeting with these names they are just ingrained. For sure though, I consider everyone by the names they give themselves in communities such as these, along with the personas they portray.

Yes, while this could be frustrating, it promotes originality. Making one think beyond themselves, beyond others and I felt personally I had to dig so deep to find Fijoli, I spent an entire week thinking of what name I should use before I made my Iwaku account. I am more than happy with my name.

For as long as I have been here on Iwaku. Just shy of three months, So I believe. I have used the name before for characters and NPC on many DnD campaigns as well as other RP forums. I never was aware of how much I loved Myself until I found Fijoli. So thank you Iwaku. <333

Uhm, the signature has been around since August maybe?
The avatar is new, just this month.

What? Theme? I dunno, maybe.

*When you see other's avatars/siggys for long enough (and this will be a bit of an odd question), do you start either seeing them asthat avatar or just whenever you see that particular character/picture, you associate it with that user?
Depends on if I know the person and their face well enough to associate them with it or not. If not, then typically, yes.

Eh, what does it matter?

Oh.... a while.

My avatar is sometimes this sometimes that, I've been going around with this clock-spiral for a while in wait of the time when I manage to find a better one.
My signature is random flux.

Awesome.
I associate the username, but if someone uses the same avatar a long time, I start to think of the username when I see it.
Causes annoyance for me, yes. Though it has never happened.
Since I first saw it, I made anagrams of my IR name, and it fit like a glove on my hand.

The avatar is brand-spankin' new. I found it looking for a character portrait for a zombie RP a friend of mine was running and decided I liked it enough to make it my avatar here. I've been using it pretty much just since I got here a week or so ago. I don't have a sig here yet because sigs are something I usually get to express myself in a way that fits the culture of the forum, whereas the avatar is just what I feel best expresses myself at the moment I create my account. Sometimes my sig will be a funny quote from what someone else has said on the forum, sometimes it'll be something else.

Not really, actually.

Of course. In fact, I've already noticed at least one user who has changed their avy once since I showed up and it threw me off.

Meh. Possibly for avatars? People probably already associate that avatar with the other person, so it could get confusing. Then again, it's whatever.

Only a few years. Maybe four or so. The username I used to go by is Wraith. I don't know how well it still fits me, but I changed it anyway.

When I officially joined MCF, as for my signature I usually change it, My art isn't great...
The ILTK, as for the siggy, it depends on how I am feeling or personal thoughts
*When you see other's avatars/siggys for long enough (and this will be a bit of an odd question), do you start either seeing them as that avatar or just whenever you see that particular character/picture, you associate it with that user? I highly associate it sure, seeing them as that, not really
*Do you think that if someone is already using that avatar or signature on that particular site, that you should use a different one? I have several avatars in reserve, all are the ILTK
*How long have you used your username? my username is very important as it is the main character of the book I am (supposed to be) writing. The only time I haven't used it is because some how, some other person took it, or the site won't let me.

Since I started on this site.

Watamote

The second one.

Yes. But I don't say this to others if it ever does happen.

Since I started on this site, but the origin traces back before this.

I change my avatar maybe once or twice a year? Maybe I'll make a custom eventually. Iv'e been watching a lot of. Fairy Tale (in Japanese >.<) lately, so I might change it to a character from that. My siggy and pic are dynamic on any forum I use, ever.

Non! I guess all my pics usually relate to some sort of TV show, usually one I'm obsessing over at the time.

I begin to associate them, yes.

No, but it's weird if you do.

Erm, ever since I got banned from Club Penguin in...... 2007? Great lesson not to share your password, folks! I've used it ever since, although before that I just used Ppurple4. Yeah, my favourite colour and number.

I change them around when I ether get board or a holiday comes up.

Hmm... well, sometimes I do but other times I find myself just using the siggy area (like right now lol) as a dump zone for something I like that really isn't a sig, like little dragons like these -> or when my daughter has a new Amigurumi pattern I might put a pic in there lol

Yeah, somewhat.

Oh definitely! It's like personal you know? Same thing as if they were wearing your cloths or undies without your permission...>,< lol

Well that's a bit foggy, see, it's my nickname in real life. Hmm... guess it was about the time I signed up to this site perhaps, really not exactly sure about that. I'm not one for remembering dates of when I do things lol

Reactions: 3 people
Oh definitely! It's like personal you know? Same thing as if they were wearing your cloths or undies without your permission...>,< lol

I cannot even. This is the best explanation ever. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.