Seems fine by me; I'm considering making a smaller orginzation of a bunch of good-for-nothing street rats. I'm a fan of the Last Airbender but not LoK, so I have a very, very weak grasp on the lore surrounding it...are there any large, sprawling cities that this organisation can be based in? (Perhaps the one where this plot may or may not be centred in?)
I will when i get access to a computer. As for the LoK thing, none of those events happened here since this is a non-canon world. Aand and Korra never existed.

I will when i get access to a computer. As for the LoK thing, none of those events happened here since this is a non-canon world. Aand and Korra never existed.
ah, so the towns and such are completely different. I suppose that means we can make up areas?

You can, of course, but you have to fill in the app for it (in the OP under 'Player Contribution') so that we can have it documented neatly. I'll edit the map further as more locations are made.

Is my character being two guys okay? There supposed to be like creepy twins who do most everything together, and use a huge harp to assassinate targets with their airbending.

Well... Do you mean they have one mind or something? If you can bring an explanation to such a phenomenon, sure, but...

No, two separate people, they just work together, and they act creepy.

EDIT: Think 40 years post-Korra era tech. I forgot to include that in the OP :( Sorry about that.

Ooh, that's interesting. Post-Korra era, so that means this would be somewhat steam-punkish, in the sense that there'd be some advanced machinery around? In LoK, there were already vehicles, mechs and rather fancy airships... So, 40 years down, that might actually mean some decent machinery... Can we think up some of these machinery and devices?

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]The Gu Qin Assassins[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#ffffff]
killer-musicians.jpg
[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]
  • [/BCOLOR]
  • [/BCOLOR]
  • [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Length and Build: Tall and big, with a slight gut.[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]
    [BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Weight[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]
    [BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Appearance[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Personality (A short paragraph at least)[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]
    [BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Backstory (At least two paragraphs)[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]
[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Gender[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Age[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Birthplace[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Location[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Organization[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Element (if any)[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]
Sub-Element (if any)

[BCOLOR=transparent]Equipment (Anything your character carries, maybe even a pet)[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Skills (Talents and abilities)[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Theme song[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Other[/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, that's interesting. Post-Korra era, so that means this would be somewhat steam-punkish, in the sense that there'd be some advanced machinery around? In LoK, there were already vehicles, mechs and rather fancy airships... So, 40 years down, that might actually mean some decent machinery... Can we think up some of these machinery and devices?
Yeah, steam-punk-ish, I guess. Think mechancial limbs, mainly metallic animal-inspired devices that range from vehicles to communication devices... Though I guess you can just make up your own stuff. Things like airships already exist in this era so... :bsmile:

Alright, location first, character later!

• steampunk_city_in_the_mountains_by_jjpeabody-d65pwiq.jpg

Art by jjpeabody​
    Name: Shangtan City

Classification: City

Significance: Important trading location between the Fire Nation, Viola and the Earth Kingdom, leading import for clay/underwater minerals for the other nations, the main location of the local street gang "Shangtan Stompers", along with other small wives' tales about the area.

Inhabitants: Ming Xiang

• The Timeline:
    ➀ Shangtan City began as a small outpost on the mountains. It started to to develop with the aid of Viola and the Fire Nation. Specifically, Omashu's populace was beginning to burst out of its seams and those who couldn't pay for a place in the city moved to the Mining Village, and then to Shangtan Outpost.

➁ The facilitated trading with the Eastern E.K base, Senlin Village and the Mining Village helped to source Shangtan Village's income. Meanwhile, the hotsprings located near the mountain made the small village into something of a romantic getaway, piquing the curiosities of Viola and the Fire Nation even further, along with tourism income from Omashu.

➂ Consumerism gripped the village of Shangtan. Business was booming, income was plentiful and the industrialism of Shangtan Village came quick and fast. A strong undercurrent of smuggling occurred in the steamy fog of the mountains, a result of the factories that ran on the hot water in the springs and mined through the snowy cliffs of the mountain range, connecting with the Mining Village. A well-kept road spread to Senlin Village, allowing regular carts to come to and fro with Earthbenders who dug up the clay from the sea floor with their bending.

➃ Shangtan Town was already a hotspot for living in the east, but the recent success in trade also gave way to new ideas. In order to improve socially, an opulent district opened up with two centrepieces; two embassies for Viola and the Fire Nation. Business deals came and went in this city, favoured for its close proximity to the other nations. However, it never surpassed the might of Omashu; the more important deals such as politics and large-scale businesses were still very much made in Omashu and Ba Sing Se.

➄ Shangtan City becomes what it is today. With a strong trading focus, the main brunt of the people here work in the factories refining the clay and other underwater minerals for the other nations, exporting through the means of Senlin Village, and the East E.K base. However, poverty seems to strive closer into the mountain whilst the outskirts show affluence and importance.

• Steampunk_Chinese_Village_by_Raphael_Lacoste.jpg

Art by Raphael-Lacoste​

THE INDUSTRIAL DISTRICT
    Located closer to the mountains and thus hidden away from the distinguished gaze of the rich and wealthy travellers from the other nations, the Industrial District spews out smog and steam into the air and onto the denizens. Most of the people here are factory workers, along with a few shops here and there for the workers. Since the authorities somewhat care for their workforce, this place has a slightly lower crime rate than Downtown, but that doesn't stop muggers and criminals from lurking in the darker corners.

downtown_by_logartis-d57jj5u.jpg

Art by logartis​

DOWNTOWN DISTRICT
    The scummiest district of Shangtan, full of closely packed alleyways, brothels, corner shops with under-the-counter transactions, thieves, and generally rough people to be around - but also packed with artists, songwriters and more creativity than you could shake a stick at. People live in apartment-styled buildings, closely packed and filthy. Crushed between the Industrial District and the Markets, the only way this gloried slum was able to expand was to reach up, resulting in tall buildings and unstable structures.

Locations of interest:

NAME: The Red Orchid
    SUMMARY: A small-time tea-house on the bottom floor, with an upstairs brothel and living compartment. It's one of the more reputable brothels in the Downtown District, and the favoured hangout of the "Shangtan Stompers".

Red Orchid Tea: The most expensive and iconic tea in the Red Orchid teahouse, it has a sweet, fruity flavour which is usually balanced off with a spicy kick of ginger. The tea-leaves, when chewed from the bottom of the cup, are said to give the consumer extra vitality and energy.

NOTABLE PERSONS:
    - Ming Xiang (PC belonging to RainyDays)
    - Big Bo (Owner of the establishment, mother-figure for the inhabitants, she who handles the bills and gives the rooms out for the night. Makes a mean noodle soup.)

market_by_ericoscarj-d718o5b.jpg

Art by Ericoscarj​

THE MARKETS
    As a city known for its trade, the Markets sprawl around the lower districts, acting as a colourful, consumerist wall to separate the rich and the poor. Here, many of the middle class reside and sell their wares, usually pottery and souvenirs for the tourism trade, along with restaurants, small inns and an ungodly amount of shops. The security is rather tight here compared to the other districts, mainly because it's the gap between crime and embassy-folk, and pickpocketing is a common practice amongst the poorer people around the area. Guards regularly patrol this district.

steampunk_city_by_chentzu-d4ojxjk.jpg

Art by Chentzu​

THE EMBASSIES
    Essentially the outskirts of the city are lavished with attention. These areas show the hard-earned work of the industrial district, the tax from the markets and also bring in the highest-quality Downtown entertainment in order to please the nobility, politicians, generals and upper-class society who use Shangtan as an area to perform business. They hold the tallest buildings and grandest structures, with the best quality of food and imported goods. The security here is strongest, but not oppressive in nature, and mostly hidden from the public eye.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gerontis
Sorry for the late response:
Looks great! Accepted!
Could you fix the code errors? ^.^

Ha! That film is fantastic.

So...how exactly to incorporate the warriors of Kiyoshi into the more modernised Korra universe? Hmm...

I suppose I'll probably just have them be strict traditionalists or something. Sticking to martial arts and things of the sort, kinda staying old school.

Maybe she'll be a student. I'm leaning towards a teenager.

Any tips or advice?

Sure Rainy :) I think I know the problem. Could you PM me the code for what you posted here?

I suppose I'll probably just have them be strict traditionalists or something. Sticking to martial arts and things of the sort, kinda staying old school.

Maybe she'll be a student. I'm leaning towards a teenager.

Any tips or advice?
You can do it like that but they don't have to be so strict :) Guns (since thanks to bending and its counterpart, chiblocking, there wouldn't be need for guns) don't exist, so martial arts would make sense. You can have chiblocking too.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Code:
[tabs][tab=Overview]
[IMG]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/138/b/0/steampunk_city_in_the_mountains_by_jjpeabody-d65pwiq.jpg[/IMG]
[sup]Art by jjpeabody[/sup]
Name: Shangtan City

Classification: City

Significance: Important trading location between the Fire Nation, Viola and the Earth Kingdom, leading import for clay/underwater minerals for the other nations, the main location of the local street gang "Shangtan Stompers", along with other small wives' tales about the area.

Inhabitants: Ming Xiang[/tab]
[tab=History]
The Timeline:
➀ Shangtan City began as a small outpost on the mountains. It started to to develop with the aid of Viola and the Fire Nation. Specifically, Omashu's populace was beginning to burst out of its seams and those who couldn't pay for a place in the city moved to the Mining Village, and then to Shangtan Outpost.

➁ The facilitated trading with the Eastern E.K base, Senlin Village and the Mining Village helped to source Shangtan Village's income. Meanwhile, the hotsprings located near the mountain made the small village into something of a romantic getaway, piquing the curiosities of Viola and the Fire Nation even further, along with tourism income from Omashu.

➂ Consumerism gripped the village of Shangtan. Business was booming, income was plentiful and the industrialism of Shangtan Village came quick and fast. A strong undercurrent of smuggling occurred in the steamy fog of the mountains, a result of the factories that ran on the hot water in the springs and mined through the snowy cliffs of the mountain range, connecting with the Mining Village. A well-kept road spread to Senlin Village, allowing regular carts to come to and fro with Earthbenders who dug up the clay from the sea floor with their bending.

➃ Shangtan Town was already a hotspot for living in the east, but the recent success in trade also gave way to new ideas. In order to improve socially, an opulent district opened up with two centrepieces; two embassies for Viola and the Fire Nation. Business deals came and went in this city, favoured for its close proximity to the other nations. However, it never surpassed the might of Omashu; the more important deals such as politics and large-scale businesses were still very much made in Omashu and Ba Sing Se.

➄ Shangtan City becomes what it is today. With a strong trading focus, the main brunt of the people here work in the factories refining the clay and other underwater minerals for the other nations, exporting through the means of Senlin Village, and the East E.K base. However, poverty seems to strive closer into the mountain whilst the outskirts show affluence and importance.[/tab]

[tab=Districts]
[IMG]http://th06.deviantart.net/fs23/PRE/i/2008/283/2/8/Steampunk_Chinese_Village_by_Raphael_Lacoste.jpg[/IMG]
[sup]Art by Raphael-Lacoste[/sup]
THE INDUSTRIAL DISTRICT
Located closer to the mountains and thus hidden away from the distinguished gaze of the rich and wealthy travellers from the other nations, the Industrial District spews out smog and steam into the air and onto the denizens. Most of the people here are factory workers, along with a few shops here and there for the workers. Since the authorities somewhat care for their workforce, this place has a slightly lower crime rate than Downtown, but that doesn't stop muggers and criminals from lurking in the darker corners.

[IMG]http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/198/4/4/downtown_by_logartis-d57jj5u.jpg[/IMG]
[sup]Art by logartis[/sup]
DOWNTOWN DISTRICT
The scummiest district of Shangtan, full of closely packed alleyways, brothels, corner shops with under-the-counter transactions, thieves, and generally rough people to be around - but also packed with artists, songwriters and more creativity than you could shake a stick at. People live in apartment-styled buildings, closely packed and filthy. Crushed between the Industrial District and the Markets, the only way this gloried slum was able to expand was to reach up, resulting in tall buildings and unstable structures.

Locations of interest:

NAME: The Red Orchid
SUMMARY: A small-time tea-house on the bottom floor, with an upstairs brothel and living compartment. It's one of the more reputable brothels in the Downtown District, and the favoured hangout of the "Shangtan Stompers".
NOTABLE PERSONS:
- Ming Xiang (PC belonging to RainyDays)
- Big Bo (Owner of the establishment, mother-figure for the inhabitants, she who handles the bills and gives the rooms out for the night. Makes a mean noodle soup.)

[IMG]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/007/2/3/market_by_ericoscarj-d718o5b.jpg[/IMG]
[sup]Art by Ericoscarj[/sup]
THE MARKETS
As a city known for its trade, the Markets sprawl around the lower districts, acting as a colourful, consumerist wall to separate the rich and the poor. Here, many of the middle class reside and sell their wares, usually pottery and souvenirs for the tourism trade, along with restaurants, small inns and an ungodly amount of shops. The security is rather tight here compared to the other districts, mainly because it's the gap between crime and embassy-folk, and pickpocketing is a common practice amongst the poorer people around the area. Guards regularly patrol this district.

[IMG]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/314/f/4/steampunk_city_by_chentzu-d4ojxjk.jpg[/IMG]
[sup]Art by Chentzu[/sup]
THE EMBASSIES
Essentially the outskirts of the city are lavished with attention. These areas show the hard-earned work of the industrial district, the tax from the markets and also bring in the highest-quality Downtown entertainment in order to please the nobility, politicians, generals and upper-class society who use Shangtan as an area to perform business. They hold the tallest buildings and grandest structures, with the best quality of food and imported goods. The security here is strongest, but not oppressive in nature, and mostly hidden from the public eye.
[/tab]
[/tabs]

I tried your code, but I don't know if that fixed the problem...any improvements?

I tried your code, but I don't know if that fixed the problem...any improvements?
I'm not sure what the problem is this time... :/ In my previews it looks right but the post shows two different tabs for district.

I'm not sure what the problem is this time... :/ In my previews it looks right but the post shows two different tabs for district.
Try popping it up on the locations part of the OP? Maybe it's just because I'm posting it.

I hope its okay if mine is set up a bit different.

Also, is it okay for Kiyoshi to have existed in this universe? It just makes things much easier on me...

Are personality and histories mandatory? I've always been partial to revealing such info in the story.

Kimiko, #006600
AtLA__Firebender_OC____kinda_by_Maseiya.jpg

Name:

Kimiko

Height:
5'4"

Weight:
114 lbs.

Element:
None

Birthplace:

Kyoshi Island

Affiliation

Earth Nation
Warriors of Kyoshi

Physical Traits

Kimiko has a lithe and athletic tone, her muscle structure reflecting years of hard work and dedication. Her hair is a dark brown, her eyes dark brown as well. She is usually adorned in her ceremonial attire, but is often also seen in plain clothing, usually earthy tones.

The young woman is considered attractive to most, her girlish features suiting her well. Her hair is about shoulder length, but is sometimes put up using pins that occasionally double as weapons.

Skills

Martial Arts
Chi Blocking
Poetry Writing
Singing
Dancing
Acrobatics
Cooking
Theatre

Equipment

Scrolls x 5
Ink Jars x 2
Quill Pens x 2
Daily Rations x 14
Iron Fans x 2
Kyoshi Warrior Robes
Kyoshi Warrior Face Paint

Personality

Kimiko is a naturally curious sort, and enjoys learning what she can. While often very active and outgoing, she has her more introverted traits. Sometimes she just wants to be alone, usually when working on her poetry. However, she occasionally allows a close friend to be around her. She very rarely shares her poetry.

Typically proper and polite, Kimiko has a reputation for being trustworthy and kind, while also occasionally displaying some form of teen angst, usually in acts of irritated arguing. Kimiko is very set in her beliefs, is highly opinionated, and is rarely afraid to voice her opinions or reasons behind them.

Kimiko is generally considered honest to a fault, and refuses to lie aside from very rare occurrences. While she generally prefers the company of other women, she can get along with most men. She will not however tolerate misogynistic behavior, and detests macho attitudes.

Background
Kimiko was born and raised on Kyoshi Island, brought up in their various traditions and ways of life. Her parents were simple folk, and were proud that their daughter posessed an ambition they did not. From a young age she e joyed learning as much as possible, and took a particular liking to the Warriors of Kyoshi. It was no surprise when she joined them at a fairly young age.

Kyoshi Island is a peaceful place, as such Kimiko has never known war or much of the terrible things the world has to offer. She has heard tell of the past troubles, recent as well, but has been blissfully innocent of it. Still, she is no stranger to danger.

A few years ago a vessel arrived by sea, apparently filled with pirates. They lured a small group of girls onto their vessel with promises of pretty baubles and clothing from around the world. Naively, Kimiko and the others boarded, only to be captured with the intent of selling them as slaves. Fortunately for her and the others, the Warriors of Kyoshi discovered this and saved them.

This event both solidified her dedication to the Warriors as well as her ambition to join them. It also established her distaste for misinformation, ignorance, and more so, natural naivete. From then on she became somewhat xenophobic and mistrusting of strangers.

Kyoshi Island

latest

Kyoshi Island is a cultural symbol of a simpler yet troubling time. Many of the Earth Kingdom's inhabitants consider the entire island to be a landmark as well as a sort of living museum. Based deep in tradition and a desire to preserve the culture of the past, Kyoshi Island is also fairly technologically challenged.

People often visit the island and tour its historical locations, enjoy the local cuisine, and watch displays of the arts and more. The warriors of Kyoshi are based here, obviously, and serve as their protectors.

The most notable location is the Shrine to Avatar Kyoshi, which is very well maintained, and is easily the most visited location in the region.

As of the moment there are no residents of note.

(This okay so far? What more would you like to see?)​

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gerontis