Ask Jorick Anything (Anonymously) - NOW CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kicked the door down and told them to stop). It was fun to be able to play smut police,
Awwww. A twinge of jealousy here. I would have liked to play smut police as well as unleash a bland-seeming, yet insidious remark on the quality of their RP that would forever after haunt them, yeah unto the girth of their years.

Oh well, I'll just continue to hand out flyers on the street corners for world peace.

That explains it. I really thought he was dutch.

"Hey who is a Jack Shaduch"

Thank you, you may ban me now.

Forget anonymity!

Beavis and Butthead, or Ren and Stimpy? >_> This is a totally opinion altering question. Choose wisely!

Great faves! What's your least fave security case?

Ah, yes, I suspected someone would ask this. Strap in for another long story, folks. I will note that this involves a person still on Iwaku, and I will be avoiding naming them or giving obvious identifying information for obvious reasons. If I find out that anyone managed to discover their identity anyway and then gave them any kind of grief for the shenanigans I'm about to explain, I will crack some skulls. Consider this your pre-emptive warning against harassment. :)

Anyway, this fun little tale began with me deciding to get drunk. It was a special occasion because I'd never actually been drunk before, because previous times I'd tried alcohol I only got a little tipsy or got nauseous before even getting that far. I decided to throw caution to the wind and drink heavily to get drunk, because I figured I ought to know what it was actually like because there had to be something to it since so many people go drinking again and again even when they know it results in hangovers and whatnot. I announced my plans for drinking to friends and staff folks on Discord, and people convinced me to do voice chatting while drunk and to read weird smut out loud as well.

Drinking night came along on August 31 last year, went well into the early hours of September 1, and it was tons of fun overall. It drew a lot of people onto voice chat that I hadn't really talked to before, plus some who hadn't really socialized with other staff people much at all. Diana joined even though she hates large group voice chats because she wanted to hear me being a drunk fool, and some other people were also drinking and joined in the fun. It was a good time, lots of weird smut read to the enjoyment and/or disgust of others... and then Diana suggested reading something involving a specific person on Iwaku. She had read some of their work before and was amused by the weird smut they wrote. Someone went and found a thread (Astaroth maybe?) and the reading began.

It was a roleplay about a guy who adopted a catboy who had been abused and such. There seemed to be a weird pet/slave dynamic going on, and it was amusingly weird. It had some romantic overtones going on between nice guy and his catboy, but then nice guy's horrible brother raped the catboy while nice guy was away. I think it was somewhere around this point in the reading that Astaroth went and made a troll notice to all of Iwaku saying people should post catboys on my profile because they're my favorite, and thus was born the running joke about me loving catboys. Nice guy brought his catboy to school with him in a backpack, and then he went to gym class or something and played basketball... by way of kicking the basketball into the goal. They noted in OOC comments that they knew nothing about basketball, which I felt was self evident. I also went into a drunken nerd rage about it because of how easy it would have been to check to make sure they were referring to the correct sport, and it went on for a while and amused the hell out of everyone in voice chat so another joke/meme about kicking basketballs started being used.

Reading went on for a little while after the basketball rage subsided (or, well, mostly subsided because there were still angry rant moments when people brought it up again), and then a catgirl was introduced to the roleplay. Where the boy had been ambiguous, the girl was veeeeeeery obviously supposed to be super young. Like child young. That brought the fun times to a grinding halt as we realized that we'd stumbled upon a fucking security case in need of investigation while just trying to have a good time. Total fucking buzzkill, but such is life. The case ended up being handed to me the next day because of course it had to go to the guy who'd done drunk reading of the material, so off I went to investigate.

It was an odd case because the rule about minimum character age in sexual roleplay has not always existed on Iwaku. The thread I had drunk-read was old enough that it was from before the rule was put into place, so it was not in fact breaking the rules at that time. This meant that I had to go look through their more recent roleplays to see if they were violating that rule after it was put into place. Rather than just searching through their entire roleplay history, I decided to look at all their activity from 2016. Even that was fucking TONS of roleplays though, because this person was prolific. I ended up having to take many days skimming through dozens of roleplays, checking for descriptions of characters and their behavior to make sure they weren't blatantly prepubescent. It was fucking grueling, SO MANY abused catboys and a ton of other odd kink material.

Finally, after getting through every single roleplay they had made a post for from January 1 through the middle of September, I ended up with a firm conclusion: they were not using child characters in their smut. Honestly, as much as we like to avoid banning people, one of the worst parts of that case was that it was SO MUCH WORK only to come up empty-handed. Like there wasn't even anything there to warrant a warning, and the only sort of questionable thing came from one of their RP partners anyway. I fucking hated that case, all the work just to confirm someone was okay, and all I have to show for that work is a spam of unwanted catboy pictures on my profile. Worst security case ever. >:[

I've never heard of a 'tired of your nonsense'. *tilts head* what is that? Some type of cat? It sounds like something a cat would be called.

Nope, not a cat. You're awful at guessing.

So how exactly does permanent banning work? How does it keep this person that was banned from creating a different email and just making a new account?

Well, the exact mechanics that make permanent bans work have to be kept secret so people can't learn about them and thus easily avoid them. What I can tell you is that permanent banning in and of itself just locks down that one account forever and adds some info for our ban evasion catching system to look for. Aside from the automatic things built in to catch ban evaders, we also have some simple manual methods to use to check in case those automatic things fail. Just using a new email is not anywhere near enough to get past these measures, but using the same email will definitely get a person caught because it's one of the things that the automatic system looks for. It's possible for people to slip past these methods, because no defense is impenetrable, but we're pretty confident in our abilities to catch them anyway because people are not as sly as they think.

Do you like cookies?

Yes. Cookies are my favorite sweet things to eat. :D

If you could implement one system on Iwaku to mark people by your personal opinion and do it without ANY negative backlash, what would it be, and how nuts would you go?

Hrm... I think I would go with some kind of little turd icon added to their profile, or maybe displayed on all their posts like a special ribbon that is just a pile of poop. It would be a goofy one with a smiley face on it, of course. It would be a special usergroup called Jorick's Shit List and it would give them read-only access to a special subforum that contains handy guides and links to articles about how to behave in public, or how to stop being an asshole, or similar things that add up to a super patronizing way of telling them they are an asshole and need to stop. I would throw it on anyone who annoys me a lot or causes dumb problems by being a little shit, and they would come off the list once they heeded the helpful advice of the special subforum and stopped being an asshole. Oh, and there would be some temporary joke additions when I'm messing with people. It would be tons of fun for me. 8D

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

We're bringing out the standard interview questions now, I see. Probably doing the same sort of stuff, generally speaking, but with less money troubles and whatnot. I plan to use my years of steady work for my security company as solid experience for a job that pays better than slightly above minimum wage, and that should improve my life in the obvious ways. I think it's about a 50/50 chance I'll still be an Iwaku admin at that point. I'll almost certainly still be spending most of my free time roleplaying and playing video games and watching dumb crap on the internet. I'm pretty happy with life currently, so I don't foresee any huge changes, but I'm sure if I look back on this in ten years I'll be laughing at myself for being foolishly naive.

Do you want to travel the world some day? If so, where would you like to go and why?

Not really. I'm a homebody, never cared to travel and haven't particularly enjoyed the little traveling I have done.

Are you a duckbear in real life? D:<

No. >:[

How do you prioritize daily life and iwaku?

I sort of cheat the whole prioritization thing. I can have my phone and laptop out at work for like 6 hours of each shift, so instead of doing something like prioritizing work over Iwaku I can kinda do both at once.

However, outside of that cheating bit, I rank Iwaku about equal with other pastimes, and I don't really do anything specific to prioritize them. If I'm at work, I'll do things for Iwaku or watch stuff on my laptop or write RP posts depending on what I feel like doing at the moment, and when at home it's the same "whatever I feel like" but with more options added to the mix. Getting important shit done like work and paying bills and whatnot comes first, then fun stuff comes second. That's all the prioritization I do, and even that isn't solid because I procrastinate a lot.

What are three of your greatest strengths and why?

My sense of humor. It's probably a huge chunk of the reason why people like me despite me being kind of an asshole a lot of the time, and life would be so very dull if I couldn't find humor in basically everything as I do now.

My... calmness? Stability? I dunno, hard to pick the right word. Basically I almost never get flustered or lose my cool. I have weird social anxiety problems, but most people I interact with don't notice it because it's all internal panic while I muddle through seeming all relaxed. I don't get angry with people unless they've been pushing my buttons for a long time or manage to find a combo of a lot of the things irritate me the most. I've also got pretty solid self-confidence, so insults and the like tend to roll off my like they're nothing. I'm just pretty chill and in control all the time and that seems to make people calm the fuck down when they're freaking out, which has been useful for me more times than I can count.

My intelligence. I know, I know, egotistical asshole alert. Seriously though, I can say with no doubt in my mind that I am smarter than the vast majority of people. Note that by "intelligence" I'm referring to it in the academic sense, the whole bundle of things like pattern recognition and problem solving and abstract thinking and capacity for retaining learned information and so on that people try to test for with things like the IQ test (which I do get fairly high scores in, but I'm basing my "I'm smarter than most people" thing on personal experience rather than test results). Book smarts, basically. I know there are a lot of other kinds of intelligence that people will bring up whenever someone talks about the classic nerd type of intelligence, and I'm fucking awful at a lot of those things, but I've got the nerd shit down. It helps with everything from writing well to coming up with reasonable solutions to complex problems. I haven't really harnessed it and made anything of my life because of a critical motivation deficiency, but I figure my life would be significantly worse if I also lacked the brains, so it's gotta be one of my main strengths.

Do you like watermelon with salt? Do you even like watermelon at all?

I don't like actual watermelon, because the texture is fucking disgusting. Watermelon flavored candy is great though, for what it's worth.

Who do you think typed this question out?

Some asshole who thinks they're clever.

Will there be more contests in the future?

I hope so! It depends on people coming up with good contest ideas and then doing the work to implement them. Currently we have MISC and the Writer's Showcase Soiree running on alternate months, but I would love to see alternate contests pop up and run at the same time. I know I saw someone floating the idea of a poetry contest somewhere, but I don't know if that went anywhere. I would definitely like to see more contests happen, but I personally don't have the time or desire to run another one while I'm doing MISC, so I don't actually have much control over it.

I should note, however, that contests don't have to be staff run. If regular members want to organize some kind of contest they are welcome to, and if they've got their shit together and have a decent idea then we're likely to support them and help them out with things like site-wide notices about their contest.

Did you have a favorite subject in high school?

Yes. I almost want to be an ass and not tell you what it was because this question only asks IF I had one, not what it was. I'll be nice though. My favorite subject was science, though English was a very close second.

If you took college, did you have a favorite subject there too?

Yes. I have the same dickhead urge here for the same reason. I loved the chemistry classes I took in college, definitely my favorite at that level without a close second.

Do you prefer to have your booty slapped or just grabbed?

If I must have my ass assaulted, I'd prefer a slap. Make contact and get the fuck out of my personal space, don't make an ordeal out of it. >:[

Do you remember your first beer? :p

Oh hi. Either I know who you are, or someone else is being a tricky little shit with this old Roleplayer Guild meme question. Hrm.

Anyway, yeah, I do. I was a kid, maybe six or seven years old, and I hung out with some of those bad influence kids parents are always worried about. There was this old lady who lived in our apartment complex, and she was the kind of person who would scream at kids to shut up and fuck off even if they were sitting somewhere quietly and bothering nobody. One day we saw her get home and start bringing her groceries in from her car. One of the bad influence friends saw she had a case of beer sitting in her trunk and convinced his brother to go snatch it. The kid did it, ran up as she entered her house with a couple bags and grabbed the case and just hauled back to where we'd been hanging out around the corner of the building waiting for him. We fucked off with the stolen beers and went to the other side of the apartment complex where there was this little field hidden from the parking lot by some bushes, and we all tried drinking some beer. They were glass bottles rather than cans, and I THINK the box/label were gold and blue so I'm thinking it was Corona. None of us could stand the taste, so we ended up smashing all the bottles against the wooden fence at the back of the field. XD

Quick! I spilled tomato sauce all over your favorite shirt?! What is your reaction to this mutiny?!

Whatever, my favorite shirt is old and wearing thin in the armpits, and it's red anyway so it's probably fine. I don't care.

Stabbing, choking, or blunt trauma?

Depends heavily on the context and who is on the receiving end. Stabbing is the preferred answer in most scenarios I can think of, so I'll go with stabbing.

Do you know the muffin man?

No.
Do you think Toshi Station went out of business since Luke never picked up those Power Convertors?
If it did, it was a shit business that was going to fail soon regardless. That's what they get for being dumb enough to open up shop on a crappy desert planet like Tatooine.
Forget anonymity!

Beavis and Butthead, or Ren and Stimpy? >_> This is a totally opinion altering question. Choose wisely!
Ren and Stimpy was one of my favorites as a kid, so that's my choice. I never watched much Beavis and Butthead, but it was alright.

Ren and Stimpy was one of my favorites as a kid, so that's my choice. I never watched much Beavis and Butthead, but it was alright.
Good choice. You don't have to go stand in a corner and hang your head in shame now. :P

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Jorick
Why are you denying the pawesome adventures of a nekoboy roleplay? :(

Did you not read the story about my least favorite security case? I've been traumatized by the nekoboys. Stop trying to force them on me. ;_;

To me, it seems you are the most active admin of the new bunch. So will you be the main admin, like how Diana was with Rory and Vay being title holders, or will duties and responsibilities be evenly split between you, Kitti and Astaroth?

This amuses me a lot for a few reasons. The main one being that because of the stances I've taken on some things in our admin discussions, I have been repeatedly labeled as "the new Diana" by both of them and Diana herself. That was all about choices made though, not any sort of hierarchy.

Anyway, no, there will be no "main" admin. We're all equal in status and the workload is... not exactly evenly split, but it's definitely split between us, some of the splitting being based on our area of focus and some of it just being whoever is least busy or volunteers to take it. So far I would say Astaroth has done the most admin work, it's just that a lot of it is behind the scenes stuff and planning that only the admins see whereas I've been focusing my efforts on things everyone on the forum or all staff members can see. If there were going to be a candidate for main admin it would be him, not me, but we're going with the equal status and equal-ish work model instead.

.....not a cat......
A dog?
A bird?
A Trico?
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU, MAN?!?! TELL ME WHAT YOU ARE!!!!! >.<

No.

Do you think it is possible to create a sort of word-recognition software that could filter all post entering Iwaku?

I'll preface this answer by noting that I know next to nothing about creating software, I can just make some educated guesses based on my experiences with using a computer for many years.

I think it would be fairly easy, depending on what exactly you're thinking of. If it's just a program that looks through a post and sees if it has any words matching a list of words to look for, then I think it would be easy, and it could also easily replace those words with other things. This is the basic principle behind profanity filters in video games and such, and they do it in live chat environments, so I can only assume that it is just as doable for a forum. Word processors have "find" and "find and replace" functions built into them, and that's essentially what would be employed for this concept, just with a pre-designated list of things to find rather than needing to manually enter them. Making it do something different might be simple as well, but obviously depends on what you're talking about.

The main issue would be finding someone who knows how to make XenForo add-ons to make it. I have no idea what sort of coding XenForo uses and how complex it is. For all I know, it could be horribly complex and awful to try to add things in between the user hitting Post Reply and the post being made. I just don't have the information to give a certain answer, but my best guess is that it would not be hard.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
Has anyone asked boxers or briefs?

giphy.gif

• Useful
Reactions: Greenie
The main one being that because of the stances I've taken on some things in our admin discussions, I have been repeatedly labeled as "the new Diana" by both of them and Diana herself.
To be fair, you're probably not as technologically-challenged as Diana seemed to be from the outside, so this might be a good thing in the end.

I think it would be fairly easy, depending on what exactly you're thinking of. If it's just a program that looks through a post and sees if it has any words matching a list of words to look for, then I think it would be easy, and it could also easily replace those words with other things.
This probably already exists in xenForo core--as it does in other software--as the badword filter. The badword filter is an incredibly powerful tool too, as you can use it to filter links too.

Anyway, opinion on metal (the music genre, not the alloy!)?

Please tell me what you are? I'll give you a cookie.

No. >:[

Opinion on metal? Any favourite alloys?

Metal is nice, very useful in general. Cast iron is pretty solid.

What does the average security case look like?

There are four basic parts to most security cases, and that outline should give you an idea of the average case.

1. Case assignment. When something is reported we do a quick look to see if it's some that needs to be given a close examination or is not a problem. For issues like potentially NSFW images this includes many people weighing in with their opinions on the matter. If it's something that needs to be looked at more closely, which most reports are, then it gets assigned to a Security staff member.

2. Investigation. Sometimes the person who reports an issue is a Security staff member and they get some of the basic investigation out of the way when reporting. Whether they have that starting stuff or not, the assigned person has to go investigate the issue to gather all the facts they can find. Sometimes it's just a read through a thread where there was some argument, sometimes a look through account info to catch multiple account users, sometimes it includes talking to the person who sent in the report or others related to the issue to get more info, and so on. Investigation requirements consists of whatever is needed for the case and differs from case to case. They post their findings in the report thread and the decision is made whether or not something needs to be done; the case then gets closed or moves onto the next step based on that decision.

3. Communication. This is the point where we contact the person/people the report was about. Sometimes this means asking them about the issue and getting their side of the story, then going from there. Sometimes this means telling them we have found that they have broken or are currently breaking a rule and then telling them what that means. Once in a while this is just a "hey, you fucked up big time and you're getting banned now" message as a courtesy, or we may skip right to it and let the ban message speak for itself. Again, this differs from case to case and our approach depends on what the issue is and what the investigation turned up. If there was not a previously determined course of action for punishment or rules enforcement, then during or after the communication phase we'll make a decision about that.

4. Enforcement and follow-up as needed. If we decide some basic rules enforcement is all that is needed (such as removing a porn image or changing a birth date to be correct) we either have the person handle it or we do it ourselves, and that marks the end of the case and its thread goes into the Security archive. If we decide a punishment is required, then it is done and that's the end of that case and it gets thrown into our archive. If someone pops up again with more problems in the future then we have that record of them causing problems in the past, and we do take a person's record into consideration for punishments (which is why people with a history of lower or middle level offenses end up permabanned for what, without that historical context, appears to be just them being a dick and harassing someone one time). If the case died in the communication phase because we needed to talk to the person (such as for a suspected multiple accounts case) but it's been a while and they haven't logged on since before we sent a message, then it usually gets tossed into our cold case files to be checked on in the future.

That's as close as I can get to explaining an "average" case, because they're all different and cases involving different rules violations are handled pretty differently as far as the details go.
Has anyone asked boxers or briefs?
Nope. The answer is boxer briefs actually, because they incorporate the best aspects of boxers and briefs together while avoiding the boxer looseness and brief tightness that annoy me. It's some Goldilocks shit, the middle option is just right.
To be fair, you're probably not as technologically-challenged as Diana seemed to be from the outside, so this might be a good thing in the end.

Anyway, opinion on metal (the music genre, not the alloy!)?
About that first bit, here's a fun fact: I'm the admin with the least knowledge of how to do any back end stuff for the site. I'm also not very tech savvy in general, I just know how to search for answers on the internet. I'm not sure what gave you the impression that Diana is technologically-challenged, but I would not be at all surprised if she was actually more tech savvy than me in general thanks to her many years of owning and running websites and having to deal with all the stuff involved in that. :P

As for metal music, ehhhhh, I'm sort of picky with it. I'm going to sound like a hipster here, but generally I'm not into the mainstream sort of metal that most people think of when talking about the genre. I'm extremely picky about male singers, I'm not a big fan of the growl/scream styles of metal singing, and I find myself easily tiring of music that is always like speedy guitar stuff. Those things drive me away from most metal music, but there are a good number of metal bands that I love for various reasons. I'll be a tool and just list some types of metal I enjoy and examples for them instead of prattling on about the things I'm not into.

Most of the metal bands I like fall into the subgenre of symphonic metal, which is fantastic because it includes a lot of elements of classical music that mixes with metal instruments in good ways and it's usually light on the typical metal vocals; this includes bands like Epica, Nightwish, Within Temptation, After Forever, and Delain. I also like some specifically themed metal bands because they're just fun or I got used to them while using their stuff as background music for writing posts for a roleplay character; this category is stuff like Alestorm because pirate metal is fun, Amon Amarth and Týr because Viking metal was the perfect music for a few different characters I've played over the years and they grew on me, Leaves' Eyes because Viking + symphonic metal combo is lovely, and Babymetal because I have weeb tendencies and the mix of J-pop idol type singers plus metal is fun and weirdly enthralling. Then there are a few that don't quite fit those categories that I listen to because nostalgia from teenage years when I listened to them while still exploring my musical preferences and/or something about them is good enough to make me okay with the rough parts of metal I don't usually care for and/or they make great character writing music so I got used to them; this group includes bands like In This Moment, In Flames, Cradle of Filth, The Agonist, and Avenged Sevenfold.

I haz question (finally).

What game show would you go on if you had absolutely no choice?

Reactions: Turtle of the Tired
About that first bit, here's a fun fact: I'm the admin with the least knowledge of how to do any back end stuff for the site. I'm also not very tech savvy in general, I just know how to search for answers on the internet. I'm not sure what gave you the impression that Diana is technologically-challenged, but I would not be at all surprised if she was actually more tech savvy than me in general thanks to her many years of owning and running websites and having to deal with all the stuff involved in that. :P

Well yeah, I only know what @Red Revolver told me about how update day usually went, and being fair to Diana here, deleting everything isn't hard to do accidentally from a terminal in Linux, since the terminal does not ask you to confirm anything, it just does stuff. I've got a bit of experience with Linux myself, so I know just how complex it is and how questionable some of its design decisions were. But hey, expecting something, which at its core, has been around since 1970, to be idiot-proof and modern is a fool's errand. Linux is just the server OS of choice because it's lightning fast and not as bloated as Windows (either flavor). I jest when I poke fun at her for this, as I know from experience that Linux isn't the most user-friendly operating system out there. :)

Most of the metal bands I like fall into the subgenre of symphonic metal, which is fantastic because it includes a lot of elements of classical music that mixes with metal instruments in good ways and it's usually light on the typical metal vocals; this includes bands like Epica, Nightwish, Within Temptation, After Forever, and Delain.

Ooh, I've got some stuff for you. Check out independent composers like Peter Crowley, Antti Martikainen and BrunuhVille. Crowley's latest release is epic pirate-themed symphonic metal with Elisa C. Martin (ex-Dark Moor) on vocals. It's great.

If you won a large amount of money what would you do with it?

That depends a lot on how large the amount of money is, but I have a general priority list. First is paying off existing debts (like student loans) to get that shit off of my back. Then a little bit of reckless spending to get a top of the line computer and some other goodies. After that I'd look for some kind of property to buy, a nice house in a good location, and also throw a bunch of money in a special bank account meant to take care of property taxes and such for as long as I live to make sure that's 100% taken care of. After that I'd look into investing whatever is left with the goal of making it so I could become a lazy pile of shit and not need to work, but that would require a HUGE amount to be able to use as the principle fund for something that pays monthly interest, thus why I said it depends on how much I get, haha.
What game show would you go on if you had absolutely no choice?
Wheel of Fortune, and it wouldn't even be against my will. I would totally be on Wheel of Fortune just for the sake of being on it. 8D

And with that, I'm going to close this thing down. Thanks for all the questions folks, it's been fun. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.