Ask Jorick Anything (Anonymously) - NOW CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know getting new admins can be kind of scary and weird, and a lot of you probably don't know much about me. I figure the best way to fix some of that scary and weird part will come by way of fixing the latter issue as well, because honestly I doubt anyone will be scared of me
Huh? NOW MORE TERRIFIED THAN EVAH!

::huddles under blankets, pretending there are no weird and scary admins out there swishing their long pointy tails::

JORICK DO YOU PLAN ON CONTINUING THE DUCKBEAR LEGACY IF/WHEN YOU RETIRE?

What's your occupation in real life and does it help you with being an admin?

Do you like turtles?
3. Do not attach your name to your question. Any attempt to sign your name to a question will be removed to prevent the ability for impersonation through the anonymous form. If you want to ask me something so that I know who you are, do it here in the thread or send me a PM. Questions asked in thread will be answered here, PMs will remain private.
And that's it. The link below will take you to the anonymous question submission form. I'll grab questions in batches and answer them when I'm at home and have the time. Here's hoping I don't end up regretting this. :D

@Hana

3. Do not attach your name to your question. Any attempt to sign your name to a question will be removed to prevent the ability for impersonation through the anonymous form. If you want to ask me something so that I know who you are, do it here in the thread or send me a PM. Questions asked in thread will be answered here, PMs will remain private.

:P

@Hana

:P
<< I just woke up when I was looking through your thread, douchebear boss :P

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: noodle and Mu
If you were trapped in a room with a dozen horny nekoboi stepbrothers, how would you fight your way out?
My goal would be to kill every last one of those abominations rather than just getting out. I'll choke every last nekiboi to death with my bear hands if I must. D:<

Jorick-senpai, notice me?
What is this weird thing? I see no words, only blurry nonsense. Huh. Whoever sent this must be a person worthy of no notice.

What Shoujo Mahou Magical boy would you be?
I don't know what this shit is, my weeb-fu is too weak.

What's the hardest thing you had to face as a member of staff before becoming an admin?
Back in October there was a whole big blow up issue of a site member I'd known for a long time, like for years before coming to Iwaku, getting banned from the site. Because I know there'll be questions if I don't say it now, I'm talking about Brovo. Because of how the ban went down, I ended up talking to him about it on his Discord server, with tons of other people around. They were a bunch of people that I'd talked to pretty much daily for months or years, and most of them were people I'd roleplayed with in group games a lot. It ended up being a two day long shitstorm event, and then a little later I ended up just leaving that group because they were moving to a new forum and I decided it was going to be better for me to just let them go and sever ties instead of trying to keep hanging out with them and dealing with all the resentment and awkwardness that would follow.

That was the hardest thing I had to face because problems involving friends and acquaintances is always a real pain in the ass. Initially I was not meant to have any hand in it BECAUSE of that conflict, but things happened and I decided to step in to the chat to keep things from going completely crazy and then I was up to my neck in the drama. Dealing with that kind of thing always sucks hard, but I managed it without much trouble.

Favorite video game? :D
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for the Super Nintendo.

Which do you prefer? Kick basketball or omegaruto?
Kick basketball. That omegaverse Naruto shit was way worse. :|

Do you enjoy reading books?
Yes, but I actually haven't read many in the past couple years. I used to do most of my reading at work and on the bus to and from work, but then I got a phone that could actually do internet things and a laptop to have at work to write and watch movies and things, and reading got sidelined.

Sci-fi or fantasy? Or something in between?
Fantasy is my favorite genre of all the things. :D

I do like science fantasy though. The more hard and tech-focused sci-fi gets, the less I'm into it generally.

Do you prefer sunrise or sunset?
Sunset because night > morning.

Dinosaurs or dragons?
Dragons. Fire breathing and such is so my cooler than just giant lizards.

Not a question, but this is a great idea. Can you contact all staff people like this? Cause it's totally a good idea. Makes you less scary and more personable. Also hi.
No, it's not currently a thing that can be done. Only Astaroth and Kitti can see the thread where the questions go. It wouldn't be hard to alter this or create a new version of it so all staff could see it though. Setting this thing up took me like 15 minutes of work including testing, so it's pretty simple.

Are you actually a potato? :O
No.

Are you the ferret admin? I forgot his name...Also forgot if he's an afmin but I always confuse the two of you.
No. There's no ferret admin. The only dude who I know of being on Iwaku and associated with ferrets was Brovo, but he was never an admin (or on staff at all) and he's gone. See the answer to the fourth question in this post. :P

Tanks or jets?

There is a right answer to this.
Jets. Flying murder machines > earthbound murder machines.

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
About three fiddy.

Your favourite pair of brothers on Iwaku?
I think the only pair of brothers on Iwaku that I even know of are @HerziQuerzi and @Holmishire? They're pretty cool dudes.

Also, I'm not sure if it would be more amusing to me if the question was asked by one of them or someone else who knew what my answer would be. Whoever you are, you're silly.

Why is anonymity so highly coveted in the MISC contest, when the only award with monetary value is determined by staff members to whom said anonymity does not apply?
Because we want it to be a contest in which the winner is selected for the quality of their work, not because of how many friends they have or how popular they are on the forum. MISC was my brainchild and I selected Astaroth and Kitti (before any of us were admins of course) to help me run it because I felt confident that the three of us could be reasonably objective in picking a winner. Even if there's no monetary prize involved, it's really shitty for a contest if the winner is just the most popular person rather than the one who actually did the best job. Like imagine what would happen if Diana wrote a lazy entry and names were visible; people would vote for it just because of who she is, and that's lame and unfair to the hypothetical other people who worked hard on their entries. Nobody but popular folks are going to want to enter the contest if it's just a popularity contest, and that would mean we can't exactly fulfill the goal of getting people to stretch their writing muscles and get helpful feedback to help them improve.

Will a Day in Varden ever return, and if so, will it be open to the public? (Or, y'know, another RP in the same setting.)
Funny you should ask: I've recently been considering running that roleplay again. It would likely be private because it has to be a small group for it to work, and I'd rather run it through with people I know than to have to deal with strangers AND the issues of running a long-term roleplay for the first time.

I do, however, have some plans for a much larger roleplay set in the same world that would be basically a sequel to A Day in Varden in that it is set after that and the events of that roleplay will have impact on the world at large. That one would be open for whoever to join.

Is MISC continuously adapted in response to turn-out and feedback? If not, are you satisfied with its current form?
We're still feeling out what sort of prompts people respond to and get excited by, and currently we're in the phase of just testing different things every time to see how it goes. We've updated the rules a bit each time as needed based on feedback. I foresee it being a continually adapting contest that shifts to suit the interests of Iwaku, and I'm happy with that.

qnCjSjz.gif

I didn't plan on having anything to do with being a duckbear in the first place. It was forced upon me by you, you little nerd. If/when I retire I certainly hope you don't follow me around calling me a duckbear. >:[
Do you like turtles?
I like turtles. :turtle:
I'm a security guard in real life. I'm security IRL and in the place I go to relax. It's weird, I know.

There are only two things about being a security guard that help with being a security admin: knowing how to talk to people effectively and having a loooooooooot of free time sitting around at my job that I can use to do things on and for Iwaku.

THOSE TWO ARE BROTHERS??? [/PLOT TWIST]
I don't know if you're joking or not but I didn't know that and I think it's a nifty tidbit. They're both shiny people.

I don't know if you're joking or not but I didn't know that and I think it's a nifty tidbit. They're both shiny people.
I honestly didn't know. XD So it was a bit of a surprise, especially since I remember interacting with both of them way way back on RPGuild.

Also I thought Herzi was a girl.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Jorick
What consoles do you own and are you willing to play online with people here? When is your birthday and do you play Yu-Gi-Oh?

Would you rather make being Iwaku admin a full-time, decently paying job, or have the site magically get 200 dollars in donations every month?
The me getting paid thing, obviously. The amount of work that could be done by someone just focusing on working on Iwaku things would be worth a good deal of money, and I could always use some of that decent salary to throw money at Iwaku when needed. :P

Why do you think game of thrones is so popular when the writing for the show is laughably awful?
It has tits and gratuitous violence. A show doesn't need anything more than that to succeed.

Can I be your friend?
No.

Cold weather or hot weather?
Cold weather. Dealing with cold weather when you have to be outside is feasible: just put on more layers of stuff. Hot weather sucks ass because you'll be uncomfortable no matter what you do. I would also choose the uncomfortable feelings of being too cold over being too hot, if we're talking about not being able to defend against the ill effects.

How much free time on average should someone have to become part of the Staff? (Because I've been thinking about sending in an application, but I'm just not sure how much time I should have to do it. And I don't want to disappoint people with shitty work if I should have more time than I already do...)
Like a couple hours a week, maybe? I'm probably overestimating it because that's how much time I spent when I was an intern but I was obsessive and did stuff every day. Interns and Maintenance staff mostly go checking the various sections of the forum to find threads 30+ days old to throw into the archive or graveyard, and you can get through a few sections in less than an hour unless others have been slacking hard. Community staff people do things like greeting newbies and being a positive influence in General Chatting and the chats, and for a lot of people that would basically not require any new work to count as doing staff stuff. Security people get like MAYBE three cases a week, during heavy workload weeks, and each of them usually takes well under an hour of active work to get done.

Seriously, being part of staff is not a major time commitment by any means unless you WANT to go the extra mile and do a ton of optional things.

Favorite animated movie?
Probably Aladdin, the 1992 Disney movie, but it's kind of a toss up with a handful of others and that just feels like a good pick right now. I don't really get into many animated movies nowadays, so all of them are older things like The Lion King and The Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Road to El Dorado.

Have you ever roleplayed Star / libertine?
I have. It's actually the majority of the roleplaying I do nowadays, which is kind of amusing because before May 2016 I exclusively did non-sexual group roleplaying. Now I've got a couple one on ones going that have had some sex, a couple more that will probably get there eventually, and a couple more things in planning that will certainly involve some smut.

When are you planning to kidnap more people for Security?
Whenever I can do so without leaving Maintenance even more understaffed than it already is. Security is sitting at roughly half the number of people needed to reach our number goals so our folks are doing about double the work we would like to normally have them assigned to. Community is at about a third of what they need, but they're less screwed over by low numbers because they don't have any specific minimum of work that MUST be done in a given month so they've got plenty of flexibility. Maintenance, however, is at about a fifth of their target (or about a third if you count Interns) and are only avoiding being buried by their workload because they have a handful of people who are beasts and handle tooooooooooooooooons of stuff. The awkward problem I have is that the people I would try to kidnap for Security if given the chance happen to be some of those beasts who are pillars of the Maintenance department, so I can't take them without screwing that over big time.

So maybe in a couple months if we get lucky and hire a bunch of good interns who can reduce that burden a lot? No solid plans, it'll happen when it happens.

Favourite ship with you involved? And what is your favourite ship in overall, if that is something else?
Probably Pahnick (Pahn+Jorick) for the first question because I love ship names that work out to sound like a word and I enjoy the smut I write with Pahn.

My favorite overall is probably Hotti (Hope+Kitti), mainly because that's the best ship name I've ever seen.

Who the fuck is Jack Shade?
A former admin from many years ago who is now inactive on the site. Your ancient memes hold no power over me.

I didn't know this O.O Thank you for your brainchild!
You're welcome! It was an idea I sort of brought over from Roleplayer Guild actually, where I used to help run a fairly different contest called Writer of the Month. Kagayours was another one of the WotM managers, by the way, and for longer than I was. :P
What consoles do you own and are you willing to play online with people here? When is your birthday and do you play Yu-Gi-Oh?
I do not have any consoles that I play online games with. I do have an Xbox One, but I don't have a gold membership or whatever to play online and I rarely ever play it anyway. I do almost all my gaming on PC, and I'm down to play games with whoever. It's mostly through Steam, so if anyone has that and wants to stalk me they can find me via the Iwaku RP Community group; I'm a group officer and my display name is Jorick.

My birthday is June 2.

I don't play Yu-Gi-Oh, but I did like.. 15 years ago or so? All I remember is that when I was playing and blowing all my money on cards, toon cards were the hype new thing that I wanted because the one dude in the show who uses them was my favorite because he was a hammy creep.

Are we pandering to your ego by wanting to know every detail of your existence?? No wait! That isn't my real question! It doesn't count, so refrain from a snarky answer!

What time of day or evening were you born? Please include time zone, if you are so inclined to answer. Then I can present @Greenie with a detailed astrological chart that reveals your darkest secrets....

Of course, nothing to worry about since I'm sure a sensible person like yourself doesn't credit all that nonsense!

Huh? NOW MORE TERRIFIED THAN EVAH!

::huddles under blankets, pretending there are no weird and scary admins out there swishing their long pointy tails::
Aw, don't fear the Jorick! He's a cutie. ♥

Heh... got one. What do you drive? :car:...

Status
Not open for further replies.