Ashes Asunder

[bg=#2D0D18]
Genevieve Colmondeley

It was the same thing Margaret always said to her when she came to visit. Of which Genevieve always responded with a sigh and reassurance that she would be fine.

Yet, this time... Aramis had taken her hand and at first it seemed he would give her his usual suave words, with that charming, most certainly faked expression. But, for the briefest moment that winning smile had shifted to a frown. He was sincerly concerned. Aramis suddenly released her hand, that moment broken and his usual expression across his face.

Genevieve shifted in her seat. Could things change so quickly over the course of a few days? She wasn't sure what to believe now.

"I had thought it was worth the risk to come. The people here need-"

Margaret cut her off. "Aye, aye, we need many things, but who will watch over us if harm comes to our Lady Colmondeley? Your brother can not live forever!" The meaning of that phrase was not explained as the older woman scuttled across the floor to plant a kiss on Genevieve's cheek. "Promise this is the last, mi'lady. Us resourceful lot will be fine."

"I feel as if I'm being bullied." Genevieve responded with a resigned sigh. "If I promise, you would still send word to me if something happened here? And I can't say I will not come back if there is information for Talin."

Margaret clicked her tongue. "Don't fear, don't fear! This handsome old fox will take care of it, won't he? If not, he'll have a pack of us with pitchforks at his doorsteps!" The old woman cackled and gave Aramis a good hard slap on the back. "Now, ya get a goin' before the sun sets! Go on, go on! Get out of here, both of ya!"

The old lady ushered Genevieve and Aramis out of the little hut, back in to the cool air of the hidden villager camp. There were still a few curious looks, but otherwise the scant people ambling about had returned to their business.

[/bg]

Ambling down the path, Aramis ducked into a small cluster of them and emerged minutes later with two apples in his hand.

"I found them around here, reminds me of when I was a lad."

Not any more forthcoming than that, he continued to walk quietly down the path, marveling at the delicately veined leaves of brown, orange, and red that clung to the trees and littered the paths.

He wanted to reassure her, but what could he say? He found himself almost dreading now the return of Giraheed, though it would doubtless come soon. He had been away longer than he liked to be.

[bg=#2D0D18]
Genevieve Colmondeley

Genevieve watched him curiously. So he had run loose in these forests as a boy? The thought was intriguing. There was so little she knew about Aramis and before today she didn't care to ask. A soft padding on the ground behind them had her turning to look over her shoulder. His horse was following close behind, either due to such good training or the promise of an apple snack. Genevieve found herself smiling.

"Would you like to have dinner with me this evening, Aramis?" she asked, the thought coming to her spontaneously and slipping out of her mouth before she could give it a second though. It was only a dinner invitation, there was no harm to it, was there? He had been so different from Giraheed's other soldiers.
[/bg]

Aramis arched a single eyebrow, but smiled at her warmly, letting them sink into place on his pale face, just above his intense eyes. "I would enjoy that, my lady," he said, trying not to seem to eager. Why would he be eager? Feel, Aramis, fool.

With a pat on Pyre's nose, Aramis surrendered his half-eaten apple to the horse. "We're almost to the castle, whattime would you have me eat with you?"

[bg=#2D0D18]
Genevieve Colmondeley

As they reached the stables, Genevieve stopped to turn to him. Tilting her head in thought as she considered the time. "Hmm, I think at Seven on the Garden Terrance would be suitable." She offered a smile that may have lingered too long. Only interrupted when one of the stable hands appeared to take care of the horse.

"I'll see you then." Clearing her throat, to avoid any embarrassment she eased away and headed back for the castle.

To her room she went, and didn't take a breath until she had closed her door behind her and leaned against it. She had just invited a man to dinner! One of her brothers men too! What was she thinking? ...and what would she wear?!
[/bg]