As if it Never Happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emory smiled faintly as Clarence seemed to relax a little. He grabbed his own bag, scrambling around in it a few moments before he found his sketchbook. He produced a pencil and sat criss-cross, the book in his lap. He started lightly sketching, swaying slightly to invisible music in his head.

Clarence couldn't help but look up at the sound of sketching, smiling a bit when he saw the pencil in Emory's hand and the sketchbook in his lap. He grabbed the bookmark he'd set aside and placed it in his book, then stood from the bed, leaving the book on it, and walked over to Emory's, sitting next to him. He folded his arms a bit shyly, then bit his lip. "Hey...um...C-Can I watch?" He asked quietly. He'd always been interested in art...he found it fascinating.

Emory glanced up. "Sure." He smiled faintly, looking back down. He was sketching a little book. On the cover was a thorny rose, and a little angel was crawling out from inside the book.

Clarence settled himself so that he could watch Emory draw, but not so that he would be hovering over him. He brought his legs up onto the bed and folded them the way Emory had his, then leaned his elbows on his knees, resting his head in his hands. Whoa...That's cool...

Emory slowly became absorbed in his drawing, unaware of anything around him, even Clarence, as he added intricate detail and shading. He had meant the book to represent himself, but he'd never tell anyone. It was up to their own understanding.

Clarence watched him quietly. It was so cool to see someone draw...to watch them simply turn lines into shapes...shapes into such detailed drawings...He took just a small glance out the window, seeing that the sun was setting, and could even see some stars peeking out. The view they had in the room made it so that they could over look some of the city, see the cars rushing, people hurrying to get places, but it overlooked some of the country side, as well, even if it was more off in the distance. It was nice. Clarence looked back at the drawing, continuing to watch Emory move his pencil about. Though eventually, Clarence's eyes slid shut, and his head just very, very lightly rested on Emory's shoulder. He'd fallen asleep.

Emory was distracted by his drawing and slowly started shading. When he finished, he glanced over to speak to Clarence. "Oh..." He tilted his head to look at his face. "You fell asleep.." He smiled softly and gently laid Clarence down on the bed. He couldn't carry him. Going over to one of the desks, he started writing notes about the speech, and when he finished he went over to the bed. Kicking his shoes off, he settled down on the other side. It was just big enough for him to do this and not feel uncomfortable about being in the same bed.

Clarence curled himself into a ball immediately after he was laid down, his arms instinctively wrapping around the pillow, hugging it tightly to himself. He slept peacefully...at first.

He was in the dorm room with Emory. He was on his bed, scribbling down some answers for an assignment while Emory was sitting at a desk. He couldn't see what Emory was doing, but he could hear the sound of a pencil, so he assumed that he was drawing. It was a comfortable silence...But suddenly, everything seemed dark. Like it had already been dark...but he knew it hadn't been. He stopped writing, looking up from his notebook to glance around the room. He could still hear the sound of a pencil moving, and Emory was still sitting at the desk. But...he looked motionless. Of course, he wasn't in a position where he could actually see Emory's arm, but...his shoulders weren't even moving as a sign to show he was breathing.

And the room suddenly seemed even darker. His eyes were wide, and he couldn't move. He had a terrible fear of the dark...When he finally worked up the courage to look around a bit, he noticed that Emory was no longer at the desk. He was no longer in sight. He swallowed harshly, his breathing beginning to get shaky. "...Emory?" He squeaked. Nothing. His bottom lip quivered, and he tried again. "Emory." He said, this time a bit more confidently. And though he didn't exactly hear a reply back, he thought he heard whispering...coming from the corner of the room closest to Emory's bed. Foolishly, he slowly shifted his gaze over, until he saw it. A dark, hazy outline of a figure, standing in the corner. He was so absolutely sure it was staring straight at him. He couldn't move. He was absolutely paralyzed in fear.

The figure was so tall...Its head seemed to almost touch the ceiling. The silence seemed almost endless, the time being spent with Clarence just staring at the figure in pure, raw fear. Until a candlelight suddenly flickered on in front of it, and Clarence could just barely see long, boney fingers wrapped around a white candle. The figure slowly raised its hand upward, the light getting closer and closer to its face. Clarence wanted to scream in horror at the figure's face. The way its eyes stared into his, an utterly insane look in them. The way its mouth curled up into an impossibly wide, wicked smile. Clarence didn't want to even blink. He managed to keep his eyes open, but they were slowly weakening.

He began to hear a whisper, the voice sounding raspy and hoarse.

"Clarence..."
It seemed to have come from the figure, but its mouth didn't move.
"Clarence..."
This time it was closer...as if it were half-way across the room, but the figure was still in the same spot, staring at him. Then, Clarence couldn't take it anymore, and he blinked, and it was quick, but it was enough. He no longer saw the figure. The candlelight was gone. But not for long...

Clarence began to see a dim glow in the corner of his eye, but he didn't dare look anywhere other than straight ahead, though the room was pitch-black now. His breath hitched in his throat when he realized he could feel the heat of the flame at the back of his neck.

Then it was right in his ear.

"Clarence."

He woke up with a start, his body shaking, his knuckled white from how tightly he was clutching the pillow. The room was dark...He could barely see anything. He simply stared forward, not wanting to look anywhere else, and he began to quietly cry out of fear. He felt like such a child...But he was terrified. He wanted to reach down and pull a blanket over himself, to not feel so vulnerable, and maybe comfort himself a bit, but he didn't move. He was much too afraid of what he thought might happen if he made even the slightest movement.

Emory stirred a little at the sound of Clarence's crying. He yawned, a soft frown appearing as he realized what he was hearing. Rolling over, he gently reached out, touching Clarence's shoulder. "Hey... You okay?"

Clarence was shaking harshly now, and as soon as he felt Emory's hand on his shoulder, he yelped and scrambled off of the bed, falling hard onto the ground, landing on his shoulder. He grunted as he hit the ground, then immediately crawled over to his bed, curling up into a ball next to it. He squeezed his eyes shut, and began crying harder. "L-Leave me alone! Go away!" He squeaked, though he had tried to shout.

Emory jumped slightly at his response. Something was wrong... "Clarence... Seriously dude, you're starting to scare me. What's wrong?" He asked as he sat up. Reaching over, he flicked the lights on, rubbing his eyes.

Clarence heard the click of the lamp, then Emory's voice. He slowly opened his eyes, sniffling, and uncurled his body. It was just Emory....There's nothing else in here besides us...

He wiped his tears and slowly stood up, shooting a quick glance at Emory. "...Sorry....I'm sorry...Ni-Nightmare..." He said, his voice just above a whisper. He stood silently for awhile, then slowly crawled onto his bed, curling back into a ball. He pulled his blanket over himself, then brought his pillow down into his arms and clutched it tightly, as if for protection. His body was still shaking...And he did not want to go back to sleep. He knew he'd only have another nightmare...

"Sorry I woke you...You don't have to worry about me....Just go back to sleep..." His voice was a whisper now, and his bottom lip was still quivering. Even though he knew he was awake, he was still terrified. He didn't want to turn around. He didn't want to move. He just wanted it to be daytime again..

Emory shook his head and stood, walking over to Clarence. "It's not fun to have a nightmare." He said softly, kneeling by Clarence and gently put a hand on his. "I should know..." He sighed. "You need to relax a little.."

Clarence stayed silent for several minutes, then finally looked up at Emory, his eyes red from tiredness, but also from his crying. "...I have them nearly every night...Having a normal dream is rare for me..." He said quietly. "So it's best for you to just....not worry about me. I'll try my best to stay quiet...I promise."

Emory bit his lip slightly at Clarence's words. It was obvious that he was torn between helping and just falling asleep. "There's absolutely nothing I can do the help?" He asked quietly. As soon as he said this, he gently rubbed the back of one of Clarence's hands with his thumb. He really did want to help... He didn't like seeing other people anything but happy. It was one of his flaws that was also a blessing... It just depended on his timing.

Clarence thought for a moment, then looked down, pulling his hand away to fiddle with his fingers. A small pout formed on his face, and he puffed out his cheeks just slightly before looking back up at Emory, his eyes shining from the tears. "W-Well...You could...Um..." He averted his eyes, shifting his gaze to the ground. "....You could lay with me..." He said quietly. He would feel safer with someone's arms around him...as if he were being protected.

Emory hesitated. "That'll help?" He asked quietly, looking at the bed. He fiddled with the edge of the covers. Hr had half the mind to turn around and go to bed, but the other half truly wanted to help Clarence. The poor guy had been through hell most of his life... What's one night?

Clarence bit the left side of his bottom lip, his eyes flickering between Emory and the ground. "...I-If you're not too uncomfortable with it..." He said softly, his eyes deciding to settle on Emory's. He didn't want to make Emory uncomfortable...And though it might be nice to feel the warmth next to him, he didn't want it to be awkward...

Emory stood, sitting on the edge of the bed and pulling Clarence into a gentle hug. He was silent.

Emory stood, sitting on the edge of the bed and pulling Clarence into a gentle hug. He was silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.