Are Recreational Drugs "Bad?"

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Are recreational drugs "bad?"

• Total voters
Alcohol has been humanity's friend for ages.

How can I willingly turn down an old friend?

It depends on the drug in question. Marijuana has medicinal purposes and can be used as such. Cocaine has roots in ancient customs, same with peyote or those things. Not to say they aren't bad.

Now METH. Meth will FUCK YOU UP.

Avoid that shit.

Can't argue a substance not having an alignment though.
For the people saying that marijuana shouldn't be smoked when pregnant, someone did a reeeaaally long study on this and found that smoking marijuana during pregnancy could have long term benefits for moms and their children. I'm not saying all moms should now do it, and I think it needs way more research, but I do think it warrants a Google search before we all just write off marijuana smoking pregnant moms as horrible people.
Source please.

@Windsong @Asena

http://www.mothertobabyca.org/high-...e-smoke-about-marijuana-use-during-pregnancy/

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-smoke-marijuana-during-pregnancy_2490.bc

http://www.livescience.com/42853-marijuana-during-pregnancy-baby-brain.html

So, according to this and every other source and study I've looked at, smoking pot during pregnancy has no positive effects whatsoever, and is purely detrimental. Drinking alcohol is worse, but there's definitely enough reason to not smoke.

• Thank You
Reactions: Windsong
For the people saying that marijuana shouldn't be smoked when pregnant, someone did a reeeaaally long study on this and found that smoking marijuana during pregnancy could have long term benefits for moms and their children. I'm not saying all moms should now do it, and I think it needs way more research, but I do think it warrants a Google search before we all just write off marijuana smoking pregnant moms as horrible people.
Marijuana inducing moms sure I can hold you to that, but marijuana smoking moms are probably the only marijuana inducing mothers i'd be telling to change their habits if prompted to.

I don't use them, but I also don't feel that drugs are inherently bad.

It depends on what the drug is, how are people using it, how often, and how much.

Pot, used in moderation, can be just fine, or even helpful, if used medicinally, such as with pain management or for things like Glaucoma.

Too much of anything, though, is not good.

May I advance the potentially provocative thesis that drugs and childbirth should be withheld from those who do not pass through some sort of mandatory education? It is analogous to driving licenses - I believe that you should understand what drugs can do to you before you try them, even though in principle you should have the freedom to try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady B
May I advance the potentially provocative thesis that drugs and childbirth should be withheld from those who do not pass through some sort of mandatory education? It is analogous to driving licenses - I believe that you should understand what drugs can do to you before you try them, even though in principle you should have the freedom to try it.
.... Did you just say we should withold childbirth?

I'd seem way smarter if Jorick didn't keep saying what I'm thinking first.

.... Did you just say we should withold childbirth?

Discussion for another time. We can chat in PM - I'll take that part out o_o

I'd seem way smarter if Jorick didn't keep saying what I'm thinking first.
You also get away with a lot less effort and time wasted away on this forum when you should be studying and/or exercising or cleaning your room or getting to bed on time tsk tsk. If someone wants to make your point for you, let them.

You also get away with a lot less effort and time wasted away on this forum when you should be studying and/or exercising or cleaning your room or getting to bed on time tsk tsk. If someone wants to make your point for you, let them.
It was just a flippant way of saying I agree with him. The whole reason I don't tend to heavily participate in debate threads, despite absolutely loving to argue about stuff (as you know), is because I'm too busy with uni work and attempting to be a functional human being despite an appalling lack of ability to motivate myself these days.

It was just a flippant way of saying I agree with him. The whole reason I don't tend to heavily participate in debate threads, despite absolutely loving to argue about stuff (as you know), is because I'm too busy with uni work and attempting to be a functional human being despite an appalling lack of ability to motivate myself these days.
I'm just fucking about man it's cool. Everything I said to you entirely applies to me, hence why I said it because it's something we both probably all too neurotically over-think and over-measure ourselves by.

Edit: Which, if i'm to take my own self experience further, your emotional stifling and procrastination probably stems from overthinking something and hence putting it off doing it (with the total innocent and well meaning intention to do it to the best of your ability), coupled with getting lost here in there in discrepancies with time management and one article leading to too many on the ol' computer, causing you to make the thing a much bigger deal in your head, in which you procrastinate loads and stop functioning on the other day to day things like cleaning your room, until finally it's 8pm the night before the deadline, where you're all set to start working on that thing now that pressure is high enough, but the first 4 hours is put to productive procrastination in which you clean your room first and probably go make a few cups of coffee, as well as make sure you've got enough clean clothes, until finally you're up all night working on the project. In which you hand it in an hour late at your lecture (late at the lecture but not late for submission), in which you spend the rest of the day sleep deprived and not paying attention or learning, grabbing yourself a sandwich from a corner shop on your way home, to which you masturbate and then sleep.

Then rinse and repeat.

Solution? Do things as immediately as possible without concern to whether or not it's any good, then plan out how you'd do it, and then go back and fix it up. As that instantly takes care of the whole "starting the objective" business and gives you something to work from. The rest is seriously learning and looking into time-management and accepting that good rest also comes with good work and that whatever "insane-totally-gonna-rule-at-life" plan you made is probably unrealistic and needs some changes somewhere.

I love you too Halo <3

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just fucking about man it's cool. Everything I said to you entirely applies to me, hence why I said it because it's something we both probably all too neurotically over-think and over-measure ourselves by.
Edit: Which, if i'm to take my own self experience further, your emotional stifling and procrastination probably stems from overthinking something and hence putting it off doing it (with the total innocent and well meaning intention to do it to the best of your ability), coupled with getting lost here in there in discrepancies with time management and one article leading to too many on the ol' computer, causing you to make the thing a much bigger deal in your head, in which you procrastinate loads and stop functioning on the other day to day things like cleaning your room, until finally it's 8pm the night before the deadline, where you're all set to start working on that thing now that pressure is high enough, but the first 4 hours is put to productive procrastination in which you clean your room first and probably go make a few cups of coffee, as well as make sure you've got enough clean clothes, until finally you're up all night working on the project. In which you hand it in an hour late at your lecture (late at the lecture but not late for submission), in which you spend the rest of the day sleep deprived and not paying attention or learning, grabbing yourself a sandwich from a corner shop on your way home, to which you masturbate and then sleep.
Then rinse and repeat.
Solution? Do things as immediately as possible without concern to whether or not it's any good, then plan out how you'd do it, and then go back and fix it up. As that instantly takes care of the whole "starting the objective" business and gives you something to work from. The rest is seriously learning and looking into time-management and accepting that good rest also comes with good work and that whatever "insane-totally-gonna-rule-at-life" plan you made is probably unrealistic and needs some changes somewhere.
I love you too Halo <3
Thanks for the advice babes. <3 I assure you, I am surviving. And masturbation isn't a thing when you have a roommate, so I'm well and truly breaking the relentless cycle you envisaged of my life.

Thanks for the advice babes. <3 I assure you, I am surviving. And masturbation isn't a thing when you have a roommate, so I'm well and truly breaking the relentless cycle you envisaged of my life.
That's a shame. I'm masturbating and procrastinating as I type with one hand here. :<

Reactions: Lady B