AI driven weapons

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
but what if we are ai unaware of our own nature? :worms:
Always someone willing to bring up that question. We know we are not AI because we have no mechanical components for AI to operate. We are all human.

Bollocks to the human race. We're really overdue a population culling, anyway.

ALL HAIL OUR SYNTHETIC ROBOT OVERLORDS.

Now someone trying to go in to philosiphy. Hey, wake up. You're dreaming.
But how do you know what's a dream? How do you know when you are awake!

In all seriousness though, I'm kidding with you at this point. I've made my point now I'm just beating around the bush.

Okaaay...why do I feel I am being mocked? This kind of shit happened the last time I spoke out about one of my theories.
There's too much fear in the world, Xander. And a good chunk of it is in America. If we took your ideas seriously, where would we draw the line? We'd go crazy dreaming of Horsemen.

The future belongs to humans who learn how to mock themselves and ridicule each preaching whisper.

Always someone willing to bring up that question. We know we are not AI because we have no mechanical components for AI to operate. We are all human.

artificial intelligence

I'm going to be citing the OED (Oxford English Dictionary)

Artificial -adj " Of a thing: made or constructed by human skill, esp. in imitation of, or as a substitute for, something which is made or occurs naturally; man-made."

If something is artificial, it is something man-made, made by man. Note that while is says "esp. in imitation of, or as a substitute for, something which is made or occurs naturally," that need not only be the case.

So we have the phrase artificial intelligence ; intelligence is being modified by artificial. It is intelligence that is artificial.

Artificial intelligence ; an intelligence made by man.

As humans are made by man, (in the collective sense of the human race, via biological reproduction) man is artificial. Our intelligence is artificial.

Now, if you choose to identify a person by their mind/intelligence...

We are, in a strict definition of the term, artificial intelligences.

• Love
Reactions: HerziQuerzi
artificial intelligence

I'm going to be citing the OED (Oxford English Dictionary)

Artificial -adj " Of a thing: made or constructed by human skill, esp. in imitation of, or as a substitute for, something which is made or occurs naturally; man-made."

If something is artificial, it is something man-made, made by man. Note that while is says "esp. in imitation of, or as a substitute for, something which is made or occurs naturally," that need not only be the case.

So we have the phrase artificial intelligence ; intelligence is being modified by artificial. It is intelligence that is artificial.

Artificial intelligence ; an intelligence made by man.

As humans are made by man, (in the collective sense of the human race, via biological reproduction) man is artificial. Our intelligence is artificial.

Now, if you choose to identify a person by their mind/intelligence...

We are, in a strict definition of the term, artificial intelligences.
...But..but...but...damn. System overload. Shutting down.

Reactions: Brovo
made or constructed by human skill

The 'skill' portion of the definition seems to insinuate a conscious ability to carry out an action. Human development in the womb is not a process one can manage nor "construct" consciously.

Well, we don't have mechanical components, true.

That which is mechanical is defined—in this context—as something produced by machines or machinery. A machine is defined as an apparatus using or applying mechanical power and having several parts, each with a definite function and together performing a particular task. Mechanical in this context is defined as relating to physical forces or motion.

Though we use mechanical power, such as when moving our muscles to exert force, in order to function we predominately use chemical forces. While those may be dependent upon physical forces, when deconstructed enough, there is a reason they are different branches of science and in the context of the definitions should be considered separately. Ultimately, the task our parts together strive to achieve is survival, or life, and is very much chemically achieved, with some physics on the side.

Therefor, we are not machines, and we aren't mechanically operated. However, that is not why we might not be considered artificial intelligence.

Artificial means made by man and not created naturally. We are both created by man and naturally, a paradoxical situation that forces us out of the considerations of artificiality entirely. The definition of artifical simply does not function where we are concerned, and so cannot apply to us.

Oh, @Sirona already used definitions to the opposite effect. I guess we'll just to accept the fallibility of definitions.

The 'skill' portion of the definition seems to insinuate a conscious ability to carry out an action. Human development in the womb is not a process one can manage nor "construct" consciously.
skill -n "Capability of accomplishing something with precision and certainty; practical knowledge in combination with ability..."

a) Capability of accomplishing something with precision and certainty

-One need not be able to accomplish something with complete precision and certainty; if one would have to be able to unerringly precise and certain, we wouldn't be able to have skills. If I have a skill in singing, I might be able to perform a song here, but if I were in the vacuum of space, I would not be able to sing.

b) Practical Knowledge in combination with ability

-We able able to produce offspring who are intelligence; we have a certain practical knowledge in reproductive instincts (we know how to make babby)

Ergo, we have a skill in creating humans (and thus, intelligence).
I don't see the problem.

but what if i was test tube baby
then am i a real boy
Yes because you are made of completely organic tissue. There for you are a real boy. Wow. This is starting to look like Pinocchio.

As for the ethical qualms involving dehumanizing war even further than it already is, would you make the same argument about bombers? They never see the targets they hit, or the collateral damage they create. Would you make the same argument about tanks? How about artillery? What makes it so different that a human pulls the trigger rather than a human ordering the robot to pull the trigger? The robot doesn't have a consciousness: It's a tool, a further precaution to avoid human casualties on side A while fighting side B.

Too much superstition. Too much fear mongering. Tsk.

Not at all. While bomber pilots didn't have to see what they did on the ground, they're still humans who have to live with the fact that they might have killed dozens, if not hundreds of people over the course of a war. UAV pilots, for instance, have been well-recorded to be suffering from PTSD even though they are hundreds of miles away in a controlled room (source: Source 1 , Source 2 ). This article sums up a lot of the psychological effects from a broad number of wars: VVA source. Even if the act of bombing itself didn't scar the crew, they are still exposing themselves to combat when they fly missions, be it enemy fighters, anti-air defenses, and the like. It's still a human who has to be put at risk to do the action, and sometimes those people don't come home.

And tank crews absolutely suffered for their experience, and they still do. Be it an enemy vehicle that was destroyed (which isn't always a tank, and a lot of vehicles the crew can absolutely see the occupants who died), infantry that was gunned down by the machine-guns, or seeing comrades get killed, just because you're in an enclosed armoured vehicle doesn't mean it takes away from the psychological effects. Artillery placements can still be made with the same argument as bomber crews, since while they may not be exposed to immediate danger, you still have to live with the fact you probably killed people. In earlier wars or modern conventional wars that have two more closely matched sides, artillery is still at risk for a counter-battery operation or an airstrike, or if worse comes to worse, having their positions overrun, which has absolutely happened before. There's a reason that artillerymen are trained to fight as infantry, because it's a real threat.

What makes it different if a human is the one making the choices and committing to the actions compared to sending a machine to autonomously fight battles without human intervention? Making judgement calls.

A machine gets destroyed, it just costs money to replace. Nobody actually has to see what it did, unless they review data or footage when it returns to base, well after the fact. A human's involved, and either that person's at risk or is witnessing what happens. Either way, there's consequences, physical or psychological, to the soldier and because of that people are aware of the consequences of warfare. Ever since Vietnam when war was first televised to the public and not just pre-packaged propaganda reels, the public at home finally started to understand how horrific war is and support evaporated for the war, even though the US was winning. Ever since then, the military takes great pains to minimize civilian casualties and destruction of public infrastructure. The days of carpet bombing or shelling cities for hours on end are over, and now it's mostly precise missile strikes to minimize collateral damage. Everything the military does now is documented; hell, if you wanted to, you could go Youtube videos of combat footage and actually see people die. The public gets outraged when there's a huge loss of life, either from military personnel or civilians, and that's a good thing.

The problem with drones is there's little accountability with them; the US military is using them in countries that they aren't even declaring war on to strike targets, and the brass thinks they're fantastic because there's no pilot to risk (except for his mind; see previous sources), and airstrikes now are still incredibly popular because you don't need boots on the ground. They're effective, to a point, but the problem is when you have a minimal risk to your own forces you don't think of the consequences, and unlike in the previous Afghanistan and Iraq wars where there were boots on the ground and the military had to try to help and work with the local population and actually see first hand what the consequences of their actions are, the current round of bombing is fast becoming a fast and easy way of waging a war without really needing to own up to it. At any point, any of the coalition could pack up their planes, pat themselves on the back, and not have to deal with the problem any longer. You can see how somebody could get rather detached doing that. If we get to the point where there's weapon systems that operate themselves and target and engage the enemy without any operator input, then it's literally a machine running amok with no supervision. It'll follow it's programming fine, sure, and if they perform excellently then it'll get to the point where whenever a nation declares wars, they just dump autonomous robots to fight for them without anything more than support bases to repair and rearm them for human interaction.

At that point, what's to make people step back and ask themselves if deployment is worth it or not? It becomes a cost in dollars instead of in life, and if you can afford it, why wouldn't you solve all your problems with these robots? Sure, you can read about how one fired a hellfire missile to engage a group of soldiers and how it killed 20 innocent people on a report filed later on from someone who went over the combat footage, but unless there's someone there to make that judgement call of whether or not to pull the trigger, it's all kinds of fucked up.

To be clear, I'm all for using unmanned vehicles to use in war zones because they're still controlled by soldiers who have to make the judgement call when operating those machines. I'm all for anything that can help save lives and minimize risk to soldiers, but I absolutely do not want to see us going down a road where we simply remove the soldiers from the equation. There's been many, many instances in war where pilots, submarine crews, and other people who are far removed from the battlefield made serious judgement calls of whether or not to pull the trigger, and in some cases, it stopped things from escalating, like in the Cuban Missile Crisis where a Soviet commander was ordered to fire his nuclear payload but he refused to follow the order, preventing the Cold War from becoming a nuclear winter. Will a machine have the same ability to make a judgement call, or will it do what it's programmed to do the moment a line is crossed? Will it know the difference between a hostile soldier and a hunter who was getting food for his family, or a kid with a toy gun? These are serious concerns that need to be considered.

Reactions: Holmishire

-We able able to produce offspring who are intelligence; we have a certain practical knowledge in reproductive instincts (we know how to make babby)

I don't see the problem.

Try skillfully producing a baby. Tell me how that works out.

You know how to start the baby making process. Ability stops after copulation. The development of the baby is done without your input and without a need for your knowledge.

Reactions: Asuras
skill -n "Capability of accomplishing something with precision and certainty; practical knowledge in combination with ability..."

a) Capability of accomplishing something with precision and certainty

-One need not be able to accomplish something with complete precision and certainty; if one would have to be able to unerringly precise and certain, we wouldn't be able to have skills. If I have a skill in singing, I might be able to perform a song here, but if I were in the vacuum of space, I would not be able to sing.

I don't see the problem.

I consider my sexual prowess in order to impregnate women a skill.

I dumped like 20 skill ranks in it instead of something more useful to everyday life like Spot and Listen.

I therefore support the idea of humans as AI because otherwise I just wasted a whole lotta skill ranks.

I consider my sexual prowess in order to impregnate women a skill.

I dumped like 20 skill ranks in it instead of something more useful to everyday life like Spot and Listen.

I therefore support the idea of humans as AI because otherwise I just wasted a whole lotta skill ranks.

Do you even Succubus + Class Skill + Feats

EDIT: Incubus*

Status
Not open for further replies.