Agents of Galactic Standstill

Beautiful post! I am super excited to finally use these guns of mine. Mwah a haha! How far would you say the frigate is from me.
Oh, thanks, hah. Uh let's see, really it's up to you how close you want to get. If you need a specific distance I'd go ahead and estimate Horizon is within 20,000 km from Dess, with Makoto 26,000 km away.

Alright then I should be able to get close enough to rip her puny shields apart with my array of turrets :3

With my system sniping, could I attack the frigates power systems and leave the ship dead in space but alive?

With my system sniping, could I attack the frigates power systems and leave the ship dead in space but alive?
Well... technically system sniping is only intended for shooting externally visible systems like weapons, communications arrays, engines, etc. But if you knew your target's layout well enough (or make a lucky guess) then you could shoot in such a way as to damage the hull in the correct spot to destroy its reactor.

Well hey, post it and maybe it'll give someone else something to go off of. :P

I'm not sure what to do about this. I must admit, this is what happens in every group RP I've ever been involved in. Enthusiasm and posting rates start off high but diminish over time and then the RP dies. I'm not innocent of course- my own interest in this has admittedly waned as well. Not sure if ot was the 2 weeks of too much work or if it would have happened eventually anyway... or more likely if the two week hiatus just accelerated and exacerbated the problem.

I have 1 on 1 RPs that are going great but maybe that's just the nature of non-real-time roleplaying. It's certainly the reason I posted that expectation of at least one post a day- beyond just keeping the game moving, it maintains people's interests with a steady stream of rewarding stimulation through constant notifications and fun posts to read and opportunities to creatively express oneself. The more time in between posts, the less sway the roleplay has over one's thoughts, commanding a smaller portion of the player's attention. I think that might be a self-reinforcing cycle that eventually leads to RP death as each player in turn gets less and less excited and thus delays their posts longer and longer, and puts less effort into them.

But I don't know what to do about it. I have to admit, I've never been much of a cheerleader. I'm definitely not perfect. I go through bouts of exhaustion or periods of depression and I don't feel like I have any right to be lecturing others to be posting more or be more active. I'm not good at community building... or even at establishing or maintaining friendships to be honest. It's probably not advisable for the one running a game to have an attitude of 'well if you don't want to play, don't' and yet that's how I've always felt. I wamted a group of committed roleplayers passionate about the hobby but then I myself am not perfect about that either, so I feel trapped by that... short-coming? hypocrisy? I dunno...

Maybe it's just a technical matter. Perhaps my storytelling technique was not conducive to proper emotional investment. Or maybe it's the mechanics- one game master controlling the setting while everyone else just played their character. Maybe that was too limiting. Or it could be the subject matter itself. I really don't know.

This is a bit of a stream of consciousness post typed on my phone from the gym in between exercises on leg day- my least favorite of the days, heh. If anyone has any thoughts or advice or critique or words of wisdom or... anything, please speak up. I'm feeling lost and unsure. I don't want to abandon this by any means, but I also don't feel like it's working. Like we're headed for RP death. So if we're going to try to avoid that, let's do it now, while things can still change, before it's too late and all we have left is lanenting.

Sorry if this sounds whiny or overly dramatic or anything. Like I said, stream of consciousness. These are just the thoughts I'm thinking. Perhaps I shouldn't be expressing them, but the maybe if I didn't, I'd find myself later regretting not doing so.

I find Frequency of post to be the easiest way to keep people interested and while it can be maintained it does a great job. that ssaid if you have players dedicated to the RP the speed of posts is mostly irrelevant. For example I'm in an RP now that's been going for 4 years, 7 or so consistent players, it went 6 months without a single post in the IC and we still carried on, its also survived 2 forum migrations in this time.

Rp's will slow down, life happens, its inevitable really. the trick is to keep pushing and get through those periods hoping your players are not just going elsewhere because of the lack of instant gratification. (something that never appealed to me, I as raised old school in that regard)
I have also noticed that sometimes GM's need to move things along without waiting for all players, in this sort of action oriented point in an rp I've seen GM's either assume 'most likely course of action' for the missing players characters or kill them off outright. I would suggest not doing the later option at this point.

To close, I'm in till the doors officially close. The only time I back out of an RP is when I'm unable to keep up and slowing everyone else down, which seems to to entirely be the case at this point.

I'm not sure what to add, but I can definitely empathize. Running a good forum RP is extremely difficult, and I'm not sure why myself. It probably does have something to do with the pacing, but beyond that, I'm really not sure. A dedicated group definitely does help, though. I can say that from my more usual chat-based experiences. I'm part of a group who plays various games over IRC on the weekends, and we only actually do anything for a few hours once a week, but it works because we're all good friends by no and we're specifically setting aside the time for the game sessions.

I would say that pacing is one of the biggest GM challenges in a game, regardless of how it goes. In a chat, things tend to barrel along at a good clip whatever happens, but it's still difficult to judge when to introduce a new thing oneself, and so-on. In a forum, it's just more difficult. I do honestly prefer the approach where a GM controls all NPCs, but it can be difficult to keep things running smoothly and moving along in such a case, particularly in a slower medium like a forum.

At this rate I don't think we're going to get anything from Honorific. They've not posted at all since the 13th. My suggestion is to puppet Horizon for the moment so that we can move on and not lose all momentum.

At this rate I don't think we're going to get anything from Honorific. They've not posted at all since the 13th. My suggestion is to puppet Horizon for the moment so that we can move on and not lose all momentum.
Right... and that is what's killing my enthusiasm. I can deal with slow posting rates but having lost three of the original players is leaving me with what feels like an overwhelming level of distaste and disappointment about this game. I'm already playing all the NPCs, I don't want to control the PCs as well. If I did I'd just be writing a book, y'know? I don't mind having only three players, don't get me wrong, but pushing ahead at this point, I just don't know.

Right... and that is what's killing my enthusiasm. I can deal with slow posting rates but having lost three of the original players is leaving me with what feels like an overwhelming level of distaste and disappointment about this game. I'm already playing all the NPCs, I don't want to control the PCs as well. If I did I'd just be writing a book, y'know? I don't mind having only three players, don't get me wrong, but pushing ahead at this point, I just don't know.
Do you want to continue the RP? If it's feeling more like a chore you should probably just close it.

Alternatively one of us could puppet Horizon for the time being, at least until its clear if honorific has actually left or is just having issues getting online for instance. Besides, as any experienced GM can tell you player attrition will happen, particularly near the start, once you clear the 'second event' of an RP you usually have your core group stable. Unfortunately many RP's die before even reaching that point.

The Choice is up to you of course, but if you want to keep it going I'm sure the three of us would be happy to take some of the load for you in whatever way we can while we get the RP back to smooth sailing.

We have two PC puppets now right? I wouldn't be opposed to playing one of them as a second character.

The first was in the process of making a noble sacrifice I believe. Daws officially left the RP though so what happens to that character is not effecting the player. Honorific we're not sure about, hence puppeting and probably best to keep the character alive for now.

Alright guys, I've been thinking about this for a while. I've switched thoughts on it several times from wanting to continue it and letting it end, and unfortunately I think I'm going to have to pick the latter. I really do love this RP idea and your characters are all delightful but the disappearances really killed my motivation to keep this going. I think for my next group RP I want to do something more egalitarian, where everyone can control the NPCs and advance the plot, not just an authoritarian GM. And I'll definitely devise it in such a way that if one of the players disappears, it'll be easy to have their character depart from the scene too.

Thank you R9 and Gat for sticking with me from the beginning, and thanks Atlas Child for your interest and joining later on. I'm sorry to end it like this and I hope you all can forgive me, but it really does feel too much like a drag to get reinvigorated for this game and get it running again. Perhaps we can RP again sometime though if you'd rather not after this, I do completely understand. I wish you all the best of luck in your writing!