After the Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nais noticed when the company had left the inn, but he remained still where he was. He couldn't afford to have them spot him now. Trying to follow now would only give him right away, and following behind such a group at any distance would warrant immediate suspicion. His only hope was to continue watching until they were out of sight, and then hope he could manage to follow their tracks well enough.

Once he'd made certain that he was out of their sight as much as he was out of theirs, he gave his horse a light kick, signalling for it to slowly but surely move forward. He set his path for the direction that they'd went, and made certain that no one had seen which way he went. He saw some guards enter the town on horses, but he managed to avoid their sight. The last thing he needed was to lead guards upon their trail. That would be no way to gain the trust of the company.

He was sure he was safe, until one of them spotted him and called out to him. He halted, and waited for the guard to approach him. By the time they met, there were two more in his company. "Where do you go?" the first guard asked him.

"I'm leaving the town. I'm heading this way, as I saw an unfavorable company leave in the opposite direction. I'd like not to be entangled in their trouble, so I made haste to leave this way, so as to avoid them." He was excellent at talking with mannerisms when it was best of him to do so, and a great liar, too.

The guards looked at him warily for a moment. "You said there was a company that left here. Does this resemble them any?" The guard held up a poster that displayed the faces of those he'd seen earlier.

"None other," he told them. "They went off in that direction," he told them, pointing in the direction opposite of that which they went. "I'd be glad if you could catch them as soon as you can. Less troublesome folk to come across and caused unneeded chaos."

The guards shared a small chuckle with him, then waved him off. "We'll be certain to do what we can. They've been quite troublesome. Already killed some of our men." The guard motioned for his horse to move towards the direction that Nais had provided them earlier, and they made their way. "You make sure to keep yourself safe. We wouldn't want to arrest anyone more than we have to."

Nais chuckled at this and nodded. "That I'll do," he said with a wave. He then turned towards where his target had went and kicked his horse with a bit more force. He'd have to speed up if he wished to catch them now. At least he'd be able to say he redirected their enemy to the wrong direction.

"Nais Harold!" Thea said loudly, almost jumping at the sound of her own voice. They had all been so quiet as they exited the town and started on their way.
Henley looked over at her and asked what she had just said.
"His name, the man, the stranger with the bow. His name was Nais Harold. I couldn't recall it before, but I'd been trying to think of it since we got underway. He said he kept the peace in the town, maybe he was a guard or knew the ..." She stopped and her shoulders slumped a bit as did her face.
"Knew the what, Thea?" Henley slapped the reins, moving his horse up beside her to speak more directly with her. "Knew the what?"
"Soliders." She said quietly and looked as if she would cry again. "The ones I killed...maybe he knew them. He seemed to know that we had something to do with trouble down the road. I can only assume he meant that."
Henley let his horse fall back again and shot a look over at Jasille. He wished for a few moments alone with him, he knew it was selfish, but he had grown accustomed to their talks. He wanted Thea to be well after what she had been through, but he selfishly wanted time with Jasille, even if it wasn't more than the time it took to drink a cup of tea.
He decided any reason to talk was better than none, he pulled his horse over by Jasille and repeated the name, "Nais Harold... have you heard of it?"

Jasille and Dimaethor both jumped when Thea spoke up loudly. Glancing back at her, he frowned at what she said. If the man was a human soldier, he could be dangerous. And if he was elven, then doubly so. Biting his bottom lip, he tried thinking through everything, a scowl on his lips. "Hmm..." he said, brushing his hair back off of his forehead.

When Henley rode alongside him, he glanced over at him while he spoke, and thought on it for a while. When he finally spoke up, he said, "I...I don't think so...But Kina might have sent men after me. He won't hesitate using humans..." Jasille scowled, hating the thought that Kina might have stooped so low as to send a human assassin rather than face him and his king personally.

After a while, Nais finally managed to get them back in his sight. He stopped his horse a bit away from them and hollered towards them. "Hello, there! Might I ask who you are?" His voice was hidden, as he knew the female from earlier would recognize his voice. With his voice changed and his features covered with his hood, he was certain he'd be able to pass himself off as someone else, for the time being.

"There's no need to run. I bring no trouble with me. Rather, I've led any trouble that might be coming this way away from here. Namely the guards that were searching for the company in the town just a ways away from here. There seemed to be the same number in your party, so I imagined it was you lot they were after." He was a brilliant liar, and he was sure that so long as he'd kept this up, he'd be fine with gaining their trust.

The group all turned to the voice that called out to them. Henley looked out over to the figure, they could not see anything that would help identify who he was. Henley looked back over to Thea, "Does he sound like the man from the tavern?" He asked and she shook her head from side to side. "I do not see the large bow either." Henley nodded and looked back at his companions. "I will ride out to see him, I will put my fist in the air if I suspect trouble and the three of you get out of here. Ride, protect the king at all costs!" Henley looked to Jasille and nodded before riding out to meet the man.

He arrived a few feet from him and called out, "I do not know what my small group could have done to raise the ire of the guards, they must look for another quartet of riders. Now... we are on our way to Alsep on a tight schedule, I am sorry we cannot stop. Is there something you needed, sir?"

Nais made sure that his identity was still well hidden, and that his voice remained changed as well. "I was certain that they had mentioned a group such as yourself. The party is of the same size and description as that which the guards provided me with. Nevertheless, I am not here to bring trouble upon you and your company. You see, I am, myself, a traveler. I have been quite capable up to this point, but I feel it would suit me better to travel in a larger group. Those in the tavern were of no assistance, and the town is dead otherwise."

He had to carefully calculate what he said and did, so as to maximize his chances of achieving the best results. "I'll tell you now, being that we're alone and you seem to be the leader of the group. My name is Issal Harold, the twin brother of Nais. I saw him talking to a member of your party whilst in the tavern. He seemed to have well manners, but he was as drunk as he could handle, and out for profit."

"He's always out for what he can get, and he behaved no differently per his usual when he saw the guards approach and question him about you lot. I made sure to listen intently to that which was said, being the one that usually keeps him out of trouble, and once he'd been done with his rambling, I talked to the guards myself. I was unsure of what trespasses your company may have made against the league, but I assure you that I am not amongst them. I told them that you headed off in the opposite direction, as to buy you more time. The only thing I seek now is to join you on your journey, and get away from my troublesome brother."

Henley considered the man, he was compelling and there were no signs that he did not trust, other than the fact that he was a stranger. Not to mention his twin brother was the one that had let Thea know that he knew of Dimaethor. "I've heard you out, but I am no leader, only the one who volunteered to speak with you. Let me speak with my companions, I ask that you wait here." He said and he rode back to Jasille, Thea and Dimaethor, related the story and added, "What he knows about us, may be more important than what he does not know."

He looked to Jasille, this decision was not his to make.

Jasille froze as he heard the voice. When Henley left to confront the man, Jasille watched him, tense and ready to take his king and ride fast in the opposite direction if Henley gave the signal. It wasn't long before he returned, and gave Jasille the choice whether to let the man join them or refuse.

The knight bit his lip, glancing over at Dimaethor before he said, "Let him ride with us...If anything, he will be close enough for us to kill him if he proves dangerous."

"Thea is my daughter, you two are brothers... we cannot hide that you are elves traveling with him. Best to own up to it. We share a common destination, I feel we do not need to tell him more."

Henley left no room for discussion. Thea could not imagine why they would be traveling together. There was no time to discuss.

Henley approached the man, "Issal, share the road with us." And he turned, heading back. As he approached the others, He bowed formally at Issal, " My name is Henley. Welcome."

Nais nodded at Henley's words. He was able to earn their trust, and this would be his first step towards finding out what they were truly doing out here. Once they'd reached Henley's company, he removed his hood for the first time, allowing everyone to see his identity. He was certain that the female from earlier would recognize him, but so long as he kept up that he was one of two twin brothers and kept his voice disguised, he should be clear.

"It is a pleasure to be in your company," he said, giving a slight bow. He was still seated upon his horse, but he tried to offer as many formal mannerisms as he could afford. "It is my hope that we can all get along on our shared journey. Speaking of which, where are we headed?"

When Henley introduced himself to the man, Jasille bowed slightly before he reached up and pulled his hood off. "I am Jasille, this is my brother Dimaethor. "We are heading to Alsep. Might I ask where sir is going?" he asked, tilting his head ever so slightly to the human.

Dimaethor, meanwhile, had moved his horse a bit closer to Jasille's, narrowing his eyes at the human. After what happened with the human soldiers, he was much less trusting of humans. He reached up and took his hood off as well, brushing back golden curls while he tried to see any signs of betrayal in the man.

"We should continue, Jasille," he said lowly, turning his horse and beginning to go down the road. Jasille nodded towards Henley and began following him, knowing that his duty was to his king and no one else.

Eying the man thoughtfully, Thea found it hard to separate this man from the man at the tavern. She felt a pang of uneasiness as Dimaethor and Jasille turned their horses and continued on. Henley seemed calm and welcoming, but she could not. She did not fully believe this man was just the brother of the man. His dress so similar and his face held no difference, only his voice was different and nothing else. She could only justify Henley's acceptance because he had not met him earlier.

She turned with the elves and did not look at him or give an explanation, if nothing else, the three of them seemed very chilly and rude to their new traveling companion. Henley felt suddenly embarrassed at Thea's action to move along without a word to the new man. "Issal, I trust you understand our weariness in meeting strangers. Though I would think my daughter knows better manners."

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Nais offered yet another bow to the company upon Dimaethor and Jasille's greeting. "Pleased to meet your company, Dimaethor, Jasille." He wasn't surprised that Thea offered him no greeting, seeing how she might be suspicious of his true identity. To avoid any further implications against himself with her, he looked at her curiously.

"Oh, that's quite alright," he said, responding to Henley's explanation for their behavior. "I'm quite weary of new people myself, but there's always a first chance for everyone." He recalled that Jasille had asked him where he was headed as they moved along.

"My destination is to wherever the wind shall take me. I am an adventure seeker though. Traveling with an unknown party, not knowing of their final destination nor their purpose, is truly something that calls out to an excitable fellow such as myself. I am honored to put forth whatever help I can towards your journey for as long as I am with you."

Jasille glanced back at the human as he said that he merely traveled, and that the journey was what he liked. Scowling some, he let his lips curve into the barest of distrustful sneers. He would make sure that the human knew he wasn't welcome for as long as he chose to remain in their company.

The two elves rode in silence for a couple hours, until the road soon became within sight of a river. A bridge ran across it, and after it the road disappeared into the forest. "Let's stop here for now," he said to Henley. "There's water, and we could try to fish...Besides, the horses could use a break."

Jasille got off his horse and helped Dimaethor off of his before he took the saddles off of both of them. Letting them drink at the river, he looked down into it and saw that there were a few medium-sized fish swimming in the river. The only problem now was to catch the fish.

Sighing Jasille filled his waterskin before showing Dimaethor how to himself. "See...? Now, drink as much as you need to...we can't have you getting dehydrated..."

Henley helped with setting up the small camp, Thea was there beside him, trying to be as busy as possible. She looked at the man a few times and even though she understood he was supposed to be the twin of the man at the inn, it was hard to believe. It was true, he did not speak like him and something about his demeanor and gait was different. Maybe she was wrong, but without being convinced, she would keep her guard up.

A fire was started, Henley started some tea and went to look for some root vegetables to gather and add to whatever protein the others would find. He was keeping himself purposefully busy, he felt his inclusion of the strange man had upset Jasille and he did not want to disappoint the elf. He found some small wild carrots and another starchy root vegetable that would be good with any broth or simply baked and sprinkled with salt and spices.

Thea moved to the river with Jasille and Dimaethor. She immediately saw the fish too. "I've never been fishing...have either of you?" She asked. Realizing at that moment, she had not been watching Issal and turned to look back at the camp to see where he was.

When Thea asked the elves if either of them had ever fished, they both shook their heads. "No," Jasille said. "His Majesty has never had the need to, and I have always been able to hunt rather than fish. Perhaps you and that man can go hunting...If you could find out anything about him, that would be fantastic..." He smiled before saying, "I'll help Henley here...we'll decide where to go next." He smiled and cupped her chin before he kissed her. He pulled away a second later, and let her go, though his smile faded once she was gone.

As he turned, he saw Dimaethor, who was looking like he had just hit him. "You...you said I was your only one...and...I just saw you kissing that human bitch!" Dimaethor burst into tears, his golden hair falling into his eyes. He stood before he ran into the forest, his long legs carrying him swiftly into the woods. After he was gone, Jasille let out a heavy sigh and breathed a curse. What Dimaethor had said had only been in anger; Jasille's king was too sweet to think that about anyone.

Still, Jasille didn't run after him. Dimaethor would be too afraid to go too far into the woods, he was just throwing a tantrum. Jasille was certain that he would return in a little bit, after he had calmed down. Then, Jasille would explain to him why he was doing what he did.

Letting out another sigh, Jasille walked to Henley's side. "I fear I have broken His Majesty's heart..." he said softly, raking his fingers through his hair.

Nais was quiet for most of the ride, as were they. He made sure to examine their surroundings when they stopped. Jasille and Dimaethor went to try fishing, and Henley set up the site. He seemed like he had plans on going out, so Nais decided to join him.

"If you're going hunting, I'm sure I can be of aid. I know my way around a knife and bow." He pulled out a small knife, displaying how masterfully he could use it. Someone approached them before they could proceed. Something about breaking the Majesty's heart. Nais acted as though he had not heard this and knew nothing about what they meant.

Thea walked up behind them, her face vibrant with a warm smile, showing her beauty and youthfulness. The kiss meant so much to her, nothing detracted from this moment, her heart filling with her infatuation of the elf. She did not see Henley react to Jasille with a pained response, "Not only his heart you play with!" Before quieting and walking to Isaah, "I am no hunter." Then he walked away from them all.

Thea approached the man and still feeling the happiness of the kiss she gave him a smile, "i can go hunting with you, if you wish."

As Henley stormed off, Jasille let out a curse, and once Thea went off with the other human, Jasille followed him. "I am sorry," he said simply, trying to put together why Henley had been so upset. He figured that it was because he cared for Thea, and she was so infatuated with him. Letting out a long sigh, he raked his fingers through his hair, looking genuinely sorry. "Please, Henley, hear me out...I know it is wrong for me to continue leading her along like this...but...m-maybe I can force myself to come to love her...most humans don't understand that...that men can love men...won't she think I'm horrible...? A-and my king is...he's fragile, and now I am certain he thinks I betrayed him. Why...why is everything falling apart now...?"

He buried his face in his hands, his shoulders shaking some.

Henley let out a long sigh and approached the elf he had come to care for. He laid a hand on his shoulder and in a bold movement, pulled the elf toward him and into a half embrace. "Jasille," Henley's voice strained, "First off, Thea knows of my male lover. She never even seemed to notice or care that I cared for men the way I do. As for ever loving her, no...I wouldn't allow you to try as I know the heartache you would both endure. She deserves to be loved by someone who would love her fully. As do you." Henley felt his voice crack. "And your young king, as Thea, is young. When he is with his own people, restored in some capacity, as his life balances out and these horrible memories fade, he will find love as well. Everyone has their heart broken, elf, man, woman." He smiled, though Jasille did not see it, the smile was evident in his voice, "Maybe even I will find love again one day." His mind let himself believe for a moment that he could even find love with Jasille, then dismissed it as foolhardy and impossible. "Come now...you need to be there for Dimaethor when he comes seeking your comfort and you need to start thinking of letting Thea know the truth."

Status
Not open for further replies.