Ace Academy - Ready!? Set!? Rumble! - College Team Based Mecha Battles - Intermediate Level

America or Japan setting wise?

• Japan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Either is fine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanceXentan

Gundam Meister
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Mecha, Superhero, Anime, Adventure, Magical
Hello everyone if you've clicked on this you're probably either interested in the concept of mecha, or maybe you're just plain curious. This is based on a visual novel that you can buy on steam if you want to know the full story but the jest of it is this (though the below quote isn't a basis for the roleplay it is what the roleplay is based on series wise):
In the year 2049, humanoid mechanized robots called GEARs have become commonplace due to their versatility. And ACE Academy is Japan's premiere school for "Cenorobotics", a new academic field focused entirely around these robots. When an American student and his personal GEAR are transferred to ACE Academy due to unforeseen circumstances, he struggles to fit in at first. But soon, he encounters a group of young pilots desperate for a new member to their team. Together, they might just win the upcoming intramural tournament, and perhaps even find romance along the way...
However this won't be the basis entirely for this roleplay. Unlike the main setting of the visual novel we will be playing a group of pilots teaming up for the first time. Over the summer students enrolled in the academy usually have some sort of process where they team up. However for one reason or another the players in this roleplay will either have found an insufficient amount of people, or are transfer students. This will be a group of anywhere from first to fourth year students teaming up to win the goal of becoming the champions of the school. The team we will be a part of is a long running team in the school that has fallen onto some desperate times. Despite it being a team that has survived due to it's name being handed down multiple times from friend to friend, or from tutor to student. It's name is Celestial Star, and while it usually has a full group running it there are very few people who actually remain in the group as of late. Due to them all either moving on, or wanting to form their own teams. In an attempt to get together enough members to qualify for being an an actual team this year our team captain (either my own player character, or one of yours if someone wants to volunteer) is setting up a meet up to get more people into this group. Think IGPX, meets Gundam OO, meets slice of life genre if you want a more direct comparison to what this roleplay will be like.
I'm sure people will need to know what gears are: Gears are our giant robots. They come in all various colors, and models each specializing in their own unique brand of technology, or weapons. Most standard mechs use standard pistols, assault rifles, or swords. Most mecha in this series have some sort of shielding, or heavy armor on their mechs to prevent damage. However some use special weapons such as scythes as well. Gears are all humanoid in appearance meaning while they can look however the player wants them to look they all are human in appearance usually. Most gears do not have special systems like the overdrive system in game which the main protagonist finds out Eagle (his mech) has. So basically this:
Image218.jpg

You may design your gear as you like but most are more slim, and stream lined. The fancier the mech the more explanation will be needed on how you obtained that model. There is no model numbers, or series given in game so you'll have to give your suit your own designations and all that. Try not to remember that this is very much a 'real robot' based series meaning things like Gurren Lagann stuff won't be accepted here. There are three types of weapons: Hybrids that do both shield, and armor damage, Anti-shield, and anti-armor. Suits usually specialize in one aspect of combat though some can do multiple ranges of combat. (They have specific names but I can't remember them at the time of writing this). It is worth noting that these battles we will be participating in will be non-lethal ones. This is a competition for a chance for sponsorship in the big leagues not a killing field.
It is also worth noting that there are more people in this school than just the pilots. Pilots are the simple designation of people who go into combat with the mechs. There are other everyday students at the academy who are not just there to be pilots but to study psychology, or even cooking. So our own characters will more than likely be pilots however engineers, and other sort of characters are also welcome as it could help branch out our party. You don't have to fight in this roleplay however we will need at base minimum four players including myself to be a fully fleshed out team.
If you need help designing a mech that is acceptable I am willing to help in that regard as well. You may take some suits from other series if it fits the theme that is presented in the visual novel. Likewise if anyone would prefer we simply start out as a brand new team instead of the above given plot synopsis that can work as well. I'm open to possible changes in the plot, and or suggestions I can do to make this roleplay as best as it can be.
With that being said are there any questions? There is more jargon to the visual novel, and the roleplay that I can go over but it's really not important as I intend to set a baseline 'everything is mostly set up' sort of deal so we don't need to scramble around for the first part of this roleplay trying to find a sponsor for our team for example.

Reactions: Berry
So...giant mecha s sports? This could be interesting.

So...giant mecha s sports? This could be interesting.
More or less. The goal is to beat the enemy team and disable their mechs as quick as possible. Non lethal stuff of course since this is a college level team.

Standard Gundam Fight rules? No blows to the cockpit, you're out if your mecha's head is destroyed, etc?

Of course all that sort of stuff. Not sure about specific damage dealt to specific limbs but sufficient damage to a mech causes it to force shut down in this universe.

One could also probably rig it with non-lethal or non-damaging weapons, anyway.

This idea reminds me of a thing I saw years ago which was a sort of "after the war, we had all these giant robots, so we started sports with them." I find the general concept amusing, and do like trying mecha every now and again.

Well you're welcome to join in if this gets enough interest. Though I don't believe the narrative in the admittedly very sparsely detailed visual novel this is based off of does not include where these gear frames originated from.

Alright assuming R-9 is still interested we can get one more person and maybe start this?

Still interested, just nothing much more to say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.