A Twist of Fate

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Still, child or not, I never imagined I could be so cruel to anyone, and then I turn around and think all those thoughts..." Cryon trailed off, staring down at the table for a moment. Just the thought of it brought back memories of his homicidal ideas, such viciousness in his mind that at one point, he could have considered himself more of a monster than the mage had been. Many sleepless nights passed in this way, and he wished never to think the same things he had thought again.

"I don't think people will have a problem warming up to you. Rumors or no, you are too easy to get along with to not be friends." Cryon said, lifting the broth to his lips and finally taking a small drink, letting the warm liquid ease his throat and flush pleasurably across his chest. It was his favorite think to drink after all, and it made even his troubled mind feel better, making a smile flutter across his features as his cheeks tinted pink from the steam rising from the bowl.

"Actually, we can start now." Cryon said thoughtfully after a moment of silence. He stood, giving the mage a small smile and the motion to stay there before walking back into the kitchen area, speaking softly to the helper that had been staring earlier. He motioned her over to the bench, and looked a bit happy as he approached. "Mallin, this is Sylvia. Sylvia, this is my dear friend, Mallin."

Mallin watched his friend's earnest, pained expression and couldn't think of any words to make it better. "I don't blame you, either." He said gently, hoping somehow that might help, and tried not to get embarrassed when Cryon praised him so. It was true, at least, that he hadn't had a hard time making friends in Arcturus once he'd gotten over his own spiral into psychosis, but hearing someone say it about him felt strange somehow.

Mallin couldn't help smiling when Cryon seemed so happy, taking a few little sips of his own broth just to see what it might do for his stomach and trying not to think words like 'adorable'. The heat helped with the illness he'd felt, at least, and he sipped more carefully at his tea as Cryon spoke, only looking up in surprise when the king stood. Blinking a few times in confusion, the Mage stayed put and waited, eyes wandering slowly around the room, until Cryon returned with the servant woman in tow. Ah. So that was what he had meant.

In Arcturus, men and women were a little more equal in terms of chivalry and politeness, the women workers and hunters and as much a part of their society as the men. Still, as used to it as he was, Mallin did remember what it was like to be in his old home and stood as the woman approached. He gave her a small now, just a polite dip of head and shoulders, and smiled kindly for her.

"Its good to meet you, Sylvia." He said, unsure what to say to the woman for a moment, if he should thank her for her serving them or say something about himself meaning no harm to this place. He had a feeling the latter would only make her suspicious and so stayed quiet. "Have you worked here long?" Maybe she wanted to sit with them and have tea? Mallin didn't know just how familiar Cryon might be with his staff, and how friendly he acted towards them.

"Only a few weeks I'm afraid." Sylvia replied, her voice hesitant as her hands subconsciously went to her hair, parting it and running her fingers through the right side. "I took over for my mother after she fell ill." She looked at Cryon, a small blush crossing over her face as she dipped her head. It was obvious that she was not used to being around such a powerful person.

The king only smiled at the small interaction between the two. "Would you like to join us then for a small break? I regret that I haven't had the time to talk to you beforehand." Cryon suggested, taking his seat before motioning towards the open space beside him. The helper's face only turned darker, a small smile playing on her coral lips as she shyly sat down.

Cryon pushed his cup towards the helper, the contents sloshing just a little as it bumped over the ridges of the table. "Tea?" He asked politely, smiling over at Mallin. There was a strange look in the mage's face, and he couldn't help but wonder what the man was thinking.

((My eyes are burning and I need to stop watching YouTube and sleep lol Goodnight))

Sylvia was a very pretty girl, that much Mallin could acknowledge, but he did so in the back of his mind, focusing more easily on trying to make her feel at ease. He sat down when she did and settled in, taking a small sip of his own tea and wondering if he should give it to Cryon since it was the last of whatever stash the king had had. He would worry about that if she accepted the offer, he decided, and listened to her attentively when she spoke.

"Only a few weeks?" He repeated, nodding a little with a small, concerned crease in his brow. "Is she very ill?" He shifted a little, as if uncomfortable, and had to decide for himself that there would really be no hiding the fact that he was a Mage. His magic was too much a part of him, and there were too many people that would recognize him anyway. The rumors would spread no matter what he did. "If . . . If she is open to it, I do some healing here and there. I could come see her?"

He posed it as a question, wanting to know how Sylvia would feel about something like that, and how her mother might. He didn't want the woman to come to him if she was sick, he could easily go to her. He was sure Cryon wouldn't mind his being absent for a couple hours one day, even with the preparations they had to make. He just hoped that Sylvia wouldn't be frightened or put off by magic like some were. It would be terrible if he alienated the staff Cryon seemed to want to be so close to.

((Quick thought. Would you like the wedding to go smoothly, or should someone like throw wine on Mallin at the end or something? Haha))

"I couldn't possibly take your drink from you. Thank you though." Sylvia mumbled, her hands folding in her lap and clasping together. Cryon just shook his head, pushing the glass closer to her with a soft 'take it'. She hesitated a moment before she slowly lifted the glass to her lips, taking a small sip and smiling.

"It's good." She commented softly before looking at Mallin, a bit of sadness crossing her gaze. "She hasn't been able to stay awake for hardly anything now. I caught her almost drowning in her bath last week, and she's become weak and frail from where she can't stay awake long enough to eat." She explained, shaking her head and biting on her lip.

When Mallin suggested he go and try heal her mother, she looked at him in surprise, and a bit of hesitation. "I don't know...How does healing magic work? Will it hurt her?" She asked, tipping her head. "I've never been around magic before, and to be honest, the stories I've heard are terrifying."

"You can trust Mallin." Cryon responded softly, nodding his head towards the mage as he spoke of him. "He is a strong willed man and is in control of the magic he does."

Mallin nodded along as Sylvia spoke, expression sympathetic and a bit sad thinking of someone being so sick, and of the woman's daughter here that had to work and not stay with her. She was a strong woman, being able to stay so calm, and she wasn't that different in age from himself or Cryon. Her mother likely wasn't far enough along in years to simply be suffering from the effects of old age, so he was reasonably sure he could at least help a little.

"No, no," he said softly, shaking his head insistently, "It won't hurt her, I promise." He glanced at Cryon when the king sung his praises, fighting with the idea that he didn't want to talk about control. But then, he knew that even healing magic, without being contained, could be harmful in some ways. "It feels . . ." There was a pause, Mallin thinking of a way to describe it with a thoughtful hand to his lips. "It feels like a light . . ." He said finally, a hand on his stomach as if to indicate something inside himself, or inside someone else. "Like light without heat, moving through you and touching what ails you. It feels strange, I admit, but it doesnt hurt." The only time it hurt was when bones needed to be snapped back into place, but he doubted any of that was necessary.

The Mage took a quiet sip of his tea and after a moment held it out slightly towards Cryon with a questioning sort of expression, offering him a drink. Perhaps it was his time in Arcturus and it wasn't 'proper' here, but he had no qualms about sharing food or drink, especially with someone he trusted. His concern wasn't with manners and normalcy just yet. He was more worried about helping Sylvia, and spending time with Cryon.

Sylvia's eyes filled with wonder as Mallin explained how it felt, her face slowly turning brighter with hope at the thought of her mother getting better. Cryon couldn't help but smile as she reached out, taking the mage's hand and squeezing it gently in hers. "I would really appreciate it if you did. Thank you so much, sir." She said, her voice thick with emotion as she looked at the two of them. "Thank you for being so kind to me."

"It's the least we could do." Cryon said before glancing at Mallin as he held out his drink. He smiled, and took it from him and took a sip before sliding it back to the mage. They did it as kids, and he never imagined it being weird now. Then again, he couldn't help but flush just the slightest tinge of pink in his cheeks when he couldn't help but think of how he only ever saw couples sharing a drink.

"You can go tomorrow morning before we go to meet Nima. Is early morning an alright time for the both of you?" The king asked, planning the visit into the schedule. Sure, he was hoping to spend those few hours wandering around town with Mallin or get at least a little bit of his more serious duties done before that afternoon, but he knew this was important.

(also, the wedding idea sounds fun XD I forgot to reply to that earlier)

Mallin looked down at Sylvia's hand in surprise, then smiled at her both with relief and with a sort of joy that came from knowing he could do something to help others. Magic was, too often, seen as a source of destruction. He was glad that he could show someone it was also a thing of healing and of beauty. On top of that, he got to help a kind woman's ill mother get well again.

"I want to do whatever I can to help." The Mage said with a pleased smile, gently patting her hand that held his when Cryon had taken his cup. He let her decide when to let go and took the cup back when it was returned, setting it gently down and drinking a bit more broth when Sylvia let him go. She was so happy, and Cryon looking proud of him. It made him feel warm inside.

"It may take some time," he explained when Cryon proposed a time, "so we would have to go very early if we are to see Nima early in the morning as well." He frowned a little, apologetically. "I won't know until I see her. I'm always up in the morning, so it won't be a problem for me. . ." He left it hanging in the air that the only people who should be concerned about waking early were Cryon and Sylvia. Even if it was too early for most, morning was the best time to conjure water as it was cool just before the sun rose.

((Cool, we can do that then ^_^ drama!))

Last edited by a moderator:
(I'm back from vacation! And I can't wait to do it. I love this story XD)

Cryon nodded, turning his head to Sylvia with a kind smile. "Would you be able to wake up early and take us to your mother?" The king asked softly. Sylvia nodded, dipping her head politely like most servants did when they spoke to the king. At first, it had drove Cryon crazy with that level of respect, especially when he wasn't really confident in his abilities, but as time passed, he barely even noticed it as something different anymore.

"Good, then we will meet here at dawn. For now though, I think we should finish our tour before it gets late." Cryon spoke, his voice becoming more matter-of-factly as he lifted his broth to his lips and drained about half of it before setting it down and pushing it away in a finished manner. He didn't really feel hungry anymore, the thoughts of everything he had to do stifling his appetite. It happened more often than he liked, and he regretted to even admit that he's almost fainted on numerous times for lack of care for himself.

"I thank the both of you for taking the time to help my mother and me." Sylvia said, standing and bowing first to Cryon, then to Mallin, a smile on her face that lit it up more than it had been before. "I shall return to my duties now. They'll be waiting for me."

((Cool ^_^ hope you had fun))

Mallin blinked a few times and looked up at Cryon as the man pushed his bowl away, curious but not quite worried. He was almost startled when Sylvia bowed to him, but managed to smile for her before she turned away. "Rest easily, Sylvia." He said kindly, and let her walk away without any further disturbances. She was smiling brighter than she had at first, and looking a bit more upbeat in getting to her work again. If only for that, he was glad to help.

". . . Have I kept you?" The Mage asked when she had gone, looking at his friend and taking another drink of his broth but not quite rushing. It wouldn't be too bad of a thing if he ended up just leaving it, even if he didn't like wasting and didn't want to chug it as Cryon had for the sake of his stomach. "If you have things to attend to, Cry, I can manage on my own. I think I'll just go rest after this."

He felt better, truly, after sitting for a moment to think, and setting up a way to help Sylvia and her mother. It made him feel a bit brighter, despite the heavy weight of his past pulling on his shoulders. They were pretty much done with the tour, so if Cryon had places to be Mallin wouldn't stop him even if he wanted to be with his friend longer. The king had simply seemed as if he was in a hurry, all of a sudden. Mallin didn't want to burden him.

"No, it's not that. I just want to speak to the guards about our change in plans tomorrow morning and check to see if your room has been furbished for the night. It would be terrible if it wasn't to your liking." Cryon admitted, his nose twitching as he looked towards the kitchen with slightly furrowed brows. Just the thought of all he had to do gave him a headache, and he found himself almost cringing at the fact that it felt normal to him now.

"If you're tired though, I'll show you to your room after we've gotten your things. You can rest while I finish up the duties for today if you wish?" The king continued, standing and ignoring the way his legs felt stiff. He hadn't thought they had been sitting that long, but the way his back cracked back into place suggested he had been slouched over again for a while. He really needed to break that habit.

(sorry. Writer's block XP)

Mallin took a few more sips of broth while Cryon spoke, a little downward tilt of worry to his brows. When he had finished his tea, he simply got to his feet and stepped away from the table. "Nonsense." He said with a little smile, not wanting his friend to be so overwhelmed. "Twice the bodies, half the work, right?" It was practically a motto in Arcturus, otherwise one person alone might work themselves to heat exhaustion.

"Why don't you tell me what needs to be done as we walk?" He suggested, moving around the table a bit to where Cryon was. "It won't be too much trouble to speak to the guards, and if given the right supplies I can make up my own room." He didn't mind helping. Work was what he was used to, after all, not being pampered. "Don't worry about me being comfortable." The Mage offered a little smile. "As long as I'm warm enough, I could even sleep on the floors." He'd done that for years as a child, before Eide finally got him a cot, and eventually a more permanent bed once he'd helped save up to have one made. Cryon didn't need to worry about him being unsatisfied with accommodations.

((It's okay. Did you need to skip to anything to get yourself going again?))

"Yeah, half the work." Cryon echoed, a small smile crossing his face as his features softened with appreciation for the kindness of his friend. He rubbed his hand over the stubble that was forming on his chin, and wrinkled his nose. "Well, I'm sure that the room is mostly made up now. It's only two doors down from my own, so if you would like to grab your things and get yourself settled, I'll talk to the guards about the plans and meet you there."

"If the room isn't finished, just find a servant and ask for the things you'll need. They could surely show you where it is." The king continued, resting his hand on Mallin's shoulder with a small smile. "I will check back into you in thirty minutes or so."

With that, the King bade his friend farewell before he left back through the way he came, heading towards the path that led to the guards barracks where they stayed. It was a peaceful walk, but he couldn't help but feel a bit lonely now that Mallin was no longer by his side after these last few days. He found the guards that would be traveling with him resting in their quarters, calling them over and relaying the change. They seemed to be a bit put off about getting up earlier, but said nothing otherwise as they only nodded.

With this task done, he headed back through the path and up the steps, his legs burning by the time he reached the forth floor. He headed to Mallin's room, knocking on the door before slowly entering with a small smile. "I'm back, Mallin." Cryon announced, looking around the room.

(I think it was just for that one post)

Mallin was glad when Cryon seemed to relax, even smiling a little, and seemed a bit less troubled over the task list ahead of them. It was a fair enough split, Mallin thought, since the guards would probably still not be happy about speaking with the Mage about matters of guarding their king, so he gave his friend a little wave and headed off in a different direction. He was glad, at least, that a bit of memory of the castle was there to help him along in finding his way.

The door was opened when Mallin reached his room, bag's strap slung over his shoulder, but he knocked softly on the frame out of courtesy to warn the woman working inside that he was there. She was a nice enough person, and after introducing himself Mallin set down his bag and offered to help, as making the bed up was really the last thing that needed to be done. The furniture was all cleaned off and ready for use, and there was soap and towels in the bathroom and if he needed anything moved he could very well do it himself. As they slung the sheets up and over the bed, he was careful of the fact that her arms were much shorter than his, and when they were done he thanked her as she left.

He had very few belongings to care for, so once his clothing was settled in a dresser he had only to set out a few trinkets he had brought with him - a small sack of bright blue stones meant to help with magic training, a poorly made book of drawings the children had given him as he left, and an old necklace he'd had since he was a child, something his mother had given him as he left her for the first time. That was it. It was all he really cared to bring with him, and soon he had a feeling he wouldn't be wearing desert clothes anymore.

By the time Cryon came back, Mallin had opened one of the large windows and sat on the sill, legs dangling outside as he watched over the gardens and whatever else he could see. It was cooler than he was used to, of course, but he couldn't help enjoying the light, fresh breeze and the few birds that flew past. It was good to be home.

"You're finished already." Mallin said with a little surprise when the king showed up at his door, swinging around to put his feet inside again and stand up to close the window, as they would presumably be leaving the room now. "How did it go?" The room was sparsely furnished and hardly even looked lived in, still, but Mallin didn't mind. It was so much more than he'd had for the past decade that he still wasn't sure what to do with it all. Perhaps in time he would fill it up more with trinkets, books, or paintings. For now, he was happy.

"They weren't very happy about getting up earlier than they had planned, but I think it will be just fine. After all, they're used to more taxing of a job than following us around town anyways." Cryon said, the bright look in his eyes disappearing, if only for a moment. "With the war coming up, what guards not on duty are teaching the young men in town how to fight, just in case. Hopefully we can relax though with the King's help."

Cryon shook his head, banishing the thought from his head. His nanny always told him that worrying about things out of his reach wouldn't be healthy for anyone, especially for as young as he was. "Anyways, do you like the room? It's a bit sparse, but since you'll be living here, I'm sure you can work up different things to make it more yours." Cryon said, walking over to the window Mallin was standing at and looking out to the castle grounds below. The sun was finally beginning to set, its color casting the sky with a slowly softening yellow at the beginning of the end of the day.

"Such a pretty time. I really do love sunsets." The king mumbled half to himself as he looked at it with a smile. When was the last time he actually even glanced at the sun ever since he took the throne? He couldn't even recall a time. "It makes everything so pretty and caught with the orange and red of the afternoon. I wonder if your hair will catch the color or just turn even whiter." He commented, looking over at the mage with curious eyes.

"We should only need a couple." Mallin said, a bit of sympathy in his voice because he knew how hard it was to wake up earlier than planned, or just to begin getting used to waking early. "I can keep up safe, should anything happen." It would take another Mage to do anything truly dangerous to them, and he had a feeling those were even rarer here than elsewhere. When Cryon brought up war, Mallin did his best not to think about it, and for now didn't mention the talk that he and Arcturus' King had had.

"Sparse?" The Mage got himself to smile again and shook his head, looking around. "It's perfect. I don't keep much clutter. I couldn't, not in the space Eide and I had, and he taught me that it was just a waste of time and energy anyway." Mallin shrugged at that, because now that he had time, energy, and the space for it he may just begin finding things for himself that he liked and bringing them to this place.

"I've been told it can look orange, sometimes." Mallin said with a little chuckle at his own expense, tilting his head towards the window as if to help Cryon see it. "If the light is right. I try not to stay out too long past sunset, though. The cold of night comes on fast in Arcturus." The few times he had been out with them as the sun started going down, though, it had entertained the little ones around.

"It's a beautiful place, your kingdom." He said with a smile, turning to look out the window again and see as far as he could. "I try not to be anxious, but I'm just as nervous about seeing it as I am excited." What would people think? Who would remember him? How different would it all be? "I've been gone a long time. . ."

"I'm not worried. I trust my citizens but the council men would just feel better if I had some guards with me. I know you take care of me even if hell was raining down on us." Cryon replied, smiling over at Mallin and pulling him into a one-armed hug. He just couldn't help himself with that expression that the mage had been making. "I'm sure I can find something you'll like for your room. After all, there are a lot of things in this world."

"It's starting to turn orange now. It is beautiful." The king commented, releasing him from the hug to hold up a clump of hair and studying it. It caught the light in a way that Cryon never seen before. It was like magic and he couldn't help but let out a soft chuckle at the thought of how much like Mallin that was.

Cryon pressed his lips together as he turned his gaze back out the window, the light catching his eyes and making everything just a little bit darker around them as the sun turned the sky a darkening orange. "I'm glad you're here to share it's beauty with me, Mal. I missed having a friend around so much, and I've never been more lonely than not having you. It's like a dream come true right now..." He trailed off, the smile on his face only widening. Maybe he was just being a sap, but standing and watching the sunset together made it feel like Mallin was truly home.

Mallin couldn't help a little flush of pleased pride when Cryon reassured him that he knew Mallin would keep them safe. It turned into a soft laugh as the king pulled him in close, and Mallin put an arm loosely around his friend's back for a moment to return the embrace. For a moment it felt like being children again, falling into each other in fits of giggles as they learned to play. They had never fought over toys or books, not really, though Mallin had pouted or cried more than once when they were younger and Cryon had taken what he wanted. It was good that they had learned to get along so quickly, Mallin thought, or perhaps they would never have been able to make such a lasting bond after all.

"Ah . . . thank you." Mallin said softly when Cryon commented on his hair, tilting his head obligingly when the king grabbed at it because he was used to children and strangers alike doing the same every now and again, and smiled slightly at his friend's curious gaze. "I'm glad to be back, too. . ." Having Cryon at his side again - it was a dream, and the light of the setting sun on his dear friend's face only made it seem all the more surreal. He had to force himself to look away.

". . . I was never angry with you, when your parents brought me here." He said softly after a moment, thinking back as he watched the city slowly growing darker, street lights being lit along the way. "You . . . felt lonely then, too. I'm glad you aren't anymore." Mallin had still been five or so when he was brought to the castle, the king and queen picking him as a gentle child but one with obvious power that could keep their son safe when they were older. But he had known enough to understand he was being forcibly separated from his family, and he was meant to stay with Cryon. After crying and being clumsily soothed by his new friend, the child Mage had clung to him readily enough for support, and because he had never liked seeing other people sad or lonely even as a little one. Somehow, miraculously, the two of them had made a wonderful pair.

"I was never lonely with you around." Cryon replied, his eyes watching the street lamp lighters curiously as he watched the dark figures move from light to light, only briefly lit by the orange glow before they moved on to the next one. They reminded him of ants, not for their tiny stature, but the way they moved quickly and with purpose. The king couldn't imagine spending his life running around like that and felt both relief and shame at being raised in such a rich household.

"I remember us getting into all sorts of trouble, but as long as I had you, I didn't ever care. I thought we would be together forever. Perhaps a god has finally answered my wish." The king continued after a moment of silence, looking over at Mallin with a soft smile. "I know that this time, I won't let you go for as long as I can, no matter what comes our way."

He fell quiet after that, watching the last of the light fade from the sky with the room turning darker and darker until it became hard to see anything except the darkness and what he assumed was his mind showing him strange, shadowy figures. "I'll leave you to rest. Good night, Mallin." Cryon said softly, letting his hands move out in front of him, making sure he wasn't running into anything before taking a step forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.