A Twist of Fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Not at all, but I do remember how clumsy you are." Cryon said in a teasing smile, heading up the stairs and getting the pleasant burn that always came when moving up. He's trekked up this hall countless times, but he never lost the exhilaration of going higher and higher. He loved being able to see over buildings and look to the sky. It was like he was free.

"I just...don't want a wife. It just doesn't interest me to be married, and I doubt I would be good as a husband anyways." Cryon said with a wrinkled nose, not sure how to explain what he was feeling. "I'm still childish and I am a bit shameful to say this, but my child-like side of me wants to have love because of love, not for profitable gain."

The king looked to Mallin, a small blush dusting his cheeks as they reached the landing of the third floor. "You must think me silly for a man having the same ideas as a teenage girl. Perhaps I was meant to be one." He mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck shyly before continuing down the hallway to the next set of stairs.

((Sorry for the delay :( thought I responded for some reason))

"I've gotten better, I swear it," Mallin insisted as they hurried up after each other, laughing along with his friend and feeling almost like a little child again. "I'm far more used to my own limbs these days." Growth spurts had messed up his already wobbly sense of balance as a child, but he was pretty much done growing now, at his age. That, and he'd gotten more of a handle on his own magic so there wasn't so much of that to knock him off balance either.

Mallin wasn't quite sure what to say when Cryon looked at him again, but how could he have judged his friend? "I don't think it makes you any less of a man to want to be happy, Cry." The Mage said softly as they walked at a bit more sedate pace on their way to the next flight of stairs. "Perhaps It isn't a practical thought," he added with an uncertain little smile, "nor a realistic one, but that doesn't make it bad." He'd had a great many thoughts growing up like that, things he wanted but couldn't have, wishes he made even if he knew they would never be granted.

"For what it's worth," the Mage said as they got to the stairs, walking slowly and steadily as the conversation took more serious tones, "I think you would be a good husband." He tried not to feel embarrassed about saying it. "A marriage is about cooperation and love and patience, isn't it? You were always good to me when I was here." He laughed softly and shook his head. "Even when you were annoyed at me for trying to force your studies on you." Mallin had been supposed to help with that, after all, before things went bad. Some people didn't get to learn all these interesting things, he'd tried to reason, so Cryon should have been happy to do so. He hadn't understood then how Cryon sometimes just didn't want to do his studies, or that not everyone was happy to be forced to sit and read books and be taught. But even if they had squabbled as friends do they had never truly fought. Cryon had always been kind to him.

(It's fine)

"Perhaps it isn't realistic, but maybe everyone can use a little fantasy in their life." Cryon commented, smiling over at Mallin with a bit of amusement in his eyes. It was strange saying that to a magical being, but maybe, just maybe, that was something that he needed. After all, his already felt happier being around the mage, even though they had only just rejoined their friendship. "And the more magical aspect of life needs a normal side to it. One without the other would be chaos."

"To be fair, history was not something I enjoyed learning. Nor was math." The king countered, giving a small pout at Mallin, though the twinkle in his eyes made it clear he wasn't truly upset. "I greatly preferred the ever-changing studies of literature and art. They never had a true answer, and could be taken different ways, so as long as I had an argument, I was never truly wrong." He smirked, nudging Mallin as they finally finished the ascension of the second set of stairs, heading down the hallway where his room was. "Thank you for the compliment though. Perhaps we should marry since we get along so well." He joked, turning the corner where the marble door to his room rested.

Once they reached the room, he opened it, revealing a layout a lot like his room as a child with minor changes. Instead of the smaller beds rested a large bed with an overhead clothes stretched across the four rising pegs. The clothes was in his favorite color, a creamy color, with a splash of brown here and there in the pillows and the seat resting at the wall, sitting beside a bookshelf. A balcony led outside, the door on the right wall leading to a bathroom sectioned off for him specifically and a dresser resting near the door with a full-sized mirror resting on its legs. "You can set it anywhere until they get finished." Cryon said, barely casting the room a glance as he looked over the mage with a small smile.

Sometimes Mallin wondered if the world would be better off without magic. He knew, somewhere in his mind, that if there had never been any magic to begin with things would be different and the world would have developed differently and been fine, but in this world he lived in he couldn't imagine going a day without using or simply seeing someone else use magic. It seemed impossible. And yet, Cryon was probably right. If there were not 'normal' people in between, despite the danger some magic users put them in, the world would truly have been chaos. It was an interesting thought, and it nearly kept the mage's mind going enough to miss what his friend continued to say.

"One is just as important as the other, I would wager," Mallin shot back, more playfully than he had as a child but with a sense of familiarity about the little pseudo argument. But when his friend made the joking suggestion that they marry he flushed a light shade of pink, a few panicked alarms going off in his head at the thought of what that implied. He was panicking unduly, he knew, no one could know, but how could he not worry that his friend would find out about his strange romantic persuasions? How could he not worry what Cryon would think of him if he knew? Jorell had changed so much - Mallin had no way of knowing what they did or did not accept in this place and his being a Mage would already make things difficult. He had to stay quiet. He knew well enough how to look and not touch, so to speak.

"Oh. . ." Mallin looked around with slightly wide eyes, distracted from his own panic at the room, fingers nearly going slack on his bag. "I . . . I thought it would feel different. . ." The room was, largely, the same, and he hadn't expected it or at least expected it to hit him so hard. He'd slept in this room, too, most nights, for years. Coming back and finding it so similar to how he remembered it was shocking, to say the least.

Quietly, Mallin set his bag against the wall just near the door, a hand running lightly over the wood and stone of the place without moving too many paces into the room. When he smiled it was happy, but with a sort of nostalgic, almost bitter tinge to it. He almost felt like crying. "Everything feels smaller now." This place had been so big when he was little, an endless adventure to be had. It was good to be home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cryon didn't notice Mallin's panicked state over his comment, but then again, he didn't really think anything of it. Instead, he nodded, smiling at the room that they used to play in as a kid. "Everything seemed so much more exciting as a kid. We always had an adventure waiting, whether it was fighting the monster under the bed, or attacking a band of pirates." The king felt nostalgia wash over him, easing his heart. "I really loved those games."

After a moment though, he pulled himself out of his thoughts and turned to Mallin, waving his hand towards the door in a dramatic gesture. "Let's go. I'm sure we'll be wandering around for quite a while and I don't want you to miss out on a single thing. This could be a new adventure, just like the ones we had as kids." The king said in a happy tone, walking back out of the room and looking both ways with his lips pressed together in a thin line as he thought.

"What would you like to see first? We have the gardens, the kitchens, the ballroom, the guard towers, the library, or where ever you missed the most." Cryon asked, looking back at Mallin before his eyes turned towards the large rose-colored window that hung in front of him, twenty or more making an almost pink tint down the hall. Outside the window, he could see the tinted colors of the castle wall, the entrance stairs, and the stretch of roses and berry bushes stretching around the building and moving towards the back.

"Or accidentally flooding the bath." Mallin manage to add, recovering as smoothly as he could from the quick panic that had overtaken him. It was a bit easier to do with Cryon at his side, in this place he'd called home and had been safe in for the most part. He remembered how his clumsier control on the bath water had caused a fun idea of turning the bathroom into a pool to quickly become a big accident. They'd barely managed to drain the water and clean up in time before anyone saw, but it had been difficult to explain why they were both soaking wet in their day clothes.

After a moment of thought, Mallin managed to slide his cloak out from under Cryon's and drop it on his back, keeping just the heavier garment for now so he didn't make himself look like a fool just yet. "The guard towers." He said with an eager sort of smile. "We always got in trouble for being there. We can start on the top floors and work our way down." It was an innocent enough strategy, but though part of him knew he had to go into the throne room where It had happened he couldn't help stalling a little longer.

It was different now, both of them grown and Cryon as King. They could walk in and out of the towers as they pleased, so long as they knocked and didn't startle the guards there. Mallin was sure to give them friendly smiles and respectful bows when he met them, not wanting to be any more of a nuisance to the staff in this place than he already was. As he and Cryon wandered through each level of the castle he struggled not to mentally calculate the average age of the people around him, almost desperately wondering who here would be left from the last time he'd been there, and who had been around long enough to actually remember him and what he had proven innocent of. It wasn't as if he could get rid of the marks on his face, or the color of his hair. Surely if anyone remembered far enough back they would figure out who it was that was tagging along with the king again. They had always been together as children.

"I take it back." Mallin said as they went into the library, jogging in ahead to look around at all the shelves. "Some places still look very big." He had always loved the libraries, the shelves full to the brim, with even a set of spiraling stairs leading up to more. When Cryon was busy with something he couldt be a part of the Mage had liked going up to that place to find a big chair to curl up in and read. When he curiously picked a book from the shelves, he flipped to a page at random to see if he still knew how. It wasn't very quick to come back to him, not with ease, but he was glad at least that he remembered how to read. Books hadn't been an easy thing to find in Arcturus, and he'd had too much else vying for his time.

Cryon enjoyed being with Mallin as they traveled through the castle, talking about everything he could think about. Even as they passed the other residents of the castle, he only took a moment in their conversation to give them a small 'hello' and the normal acknowledging nod. None of them seemed offended though, as whispers spread through the halls of the mage's presence once they left the formality of the guard towers. One particular instance was a new maid servant watching them with wide eyes as one of the older servants explained to her who Mallin actually was. After all, the hair and marks on his face were very distinctive, and even the youngest lad knew of the story of the former King and Queen's death.

The king became worried with Mallin's thoughts on the entire thing. He hoped that the mage was not intimidated by the stares and the whispers, but instead of saying anything to the mage, he let his own mind stew over it. What if the attention drove off his newly found friend? He didn't think he could live with that, and was actually relieved when they reached the library, the large building only occupied by the book keeper, who was distracted in his binding of one of the more worn books. Unlike the rest of the workers, he was dedicated to his work, and he did not worry about any sort of rumors or whispers that came through.

"I don't think the library would even look small to a giant." Cryon replied in agreement, looking at the large room in a bit of pride. It was the largest room in the castle, as both his father and mother loved to read literature and experience the different thoughts of each author. They had books from all over the world, translated and well-kept, from varying eras. The king couldn't help but smile as he walked over to the mage, looking at the book Mallin was reading. The lettering was faded, clearly of a older year than their own, but still easily legible and wouldn't need replacing for at least another year.

"It's so peaceful in here." Cryon commented, his voice barely above a whisper. It was strange, but the further he got in the library, the quieter he felt the need to be. It was as if the books were alive, sleeping peacefully in their bookshelves, and he was creeping past them so not to wake them. "Do you remember your favorite book?"

The worrisome stares vied for Mallin's attention but he had to try and keep them out of his thoughts. It made him uncomfortable, having those eyes on him, despite having grown more confident over the years. It was different now, these eyes judging him in ways that could reflect on Cryon, and possibly on the kingdom itself if the citizens took too heavily to negative gossip. That was the part that worried him more than even the thought of being driven from his home once more. He could return to Arcturus, still, that much was clear, but he wanted this place to stay his home.

Mallin was almost caught off guard when Cryon came closer, speaking quietly next to him. He twitched a bit in surprise, then smiled at himself and carefully placed the book back where it belonged on its shelf. "Its been so long." He said with a smile, shaking his head and scanning the bindings of the books. "I don't think I would know where to find it anymore. All I remember is that there was a dragon, an elf, and a knight. I can't even recall their names." It had been something he'd read over and over, as a child, but memory faded with time and he'd had to choose to hang on to more important things, like his magic training and happy experiences with friends and family. He wondered if it was even still in the library anymore.

"If I've nothing to do you may well find me here more often than not." The Mage said with a quiet chuckle, giving Cryon a careful but playful nudge. "But there is time for that later. We should continue the tour, so that you may rest when we're done." His friend had to be tired from their journey. Mallin was too, to a degree, but this place filled him with a new energy. Even if he didn't wish to impose on his friend, how could he not explore?

"There are a lot of books with dragons, so I'm afraid I couldn't tell you which one." Cryon said, his lips twitching as he looked over the books as well. Even if he did know every book in the library, it was so massive, he doubted he would be able to find it without the bookkeep's help. "Perhaps you can come back and ask the bookkeep when you are not busy. I'm sure he would not mind helping you." The king turned his head, looking to where he had last saw the worker. Yet, he was not there, and the adjoining room's door was closed. Obviously, he was working on something at the moment.

"Of course, we still have so much more to see." Cryon said, nudging Mallin gently back before he headed back out of the library. He wrinkled his nose, pausing as he tried to decide where they would go next. He was sure that the cooks would be done with making their snack, but he wondered if the mage was hungry enough to take a break. If not, they could always go to the gardens instead.

"Gardens or kitchen?" Cryon asked, looking over at Mallin as they headed down the hallway. Both of the places were down the stairs and towards the back of the castle. It would easily be a few minute walk, and he took that time to look over his friend, noting on whether or not the mage was beginning to get tired.

Mallin made a thoughtful sound, head tipped back a bit as his eyes scanned over row upon row of books. "Maybe I'll stumble upon it some day," he murmured softly, "if it's still here at all." It would be nice, but it wasn't something he really needed or worried over very much. Life had forced him to teach himself not to assign too much value to objects, even if they were important ones by most people's standards. There were more pressing things to worry about.

"I think we should see the gardens first." Mallin suggested with a little smile, shaking his head with amusement in his voice. "If I sit down and eat I may be hard pressed to get back up again, and we still have the first floor to explore after." He was all right now, energy levels at an acceptable place since he was used to working and walking, being upright for long periods of time. He had strong feet and endurance, but if he stayed down too long he knew he would want to be lazy and not keep walking.

Outside was a bit warmer than in, the sun shining down to warm his skin a bit as they wandered out into the gardens. Everything was as pretty as he remembered, though not entirely the same, and he was glad to explore it and learn its odd and ends as best he could in such little time. He had a feeling he would spend a lot of time outdoors, if he could manage it, but if he was going to be teaching a young Mage some day it was probably best they hunker down inside.

When the outside tour was done, Mallin followed Cryon back into the castle and towards the kitchens, debating on the way if he was hungry enough to eat or if he should make himself wait. It was a difficult decision in a new place, as he wasnt sure how freely he could come and go from the kitchens. He was used to taking food when he could get it.

"I can definitely understand that. I'm afraid I can still be quite lazy after I eat." Cryon said, smiling at the thought as he thought of the times when he would often hide in the kitchen after eating, mainly so the tutors couldn't find him while he napped. Of course, Mallin always knew where he was and dragged him anyways, but then again, he would never have been as clever as he was now with out his friend's 'mother hen' nature.

The king couldn't help but let out a soft sigh at the sight of his beloved gardens. They were the place that felt most like home to him, with the growing roses that his mother loved, the peculiar yellow ones, and the tulips that dotted nearby and cloyed the scent that mixed with lavender. It smelled like his mother, a smell that he never wished to forget, and hoped that Mallin liked it as much as he did. Perhaps on their free time, they could even do a little reading underneath the trees of fruit that dotted the landscape.

"Let's finish the first floor before we eat. That way we can just sit and relax instead of being pressed for time." Cryon offered, blinking as he let his eyes adjust to the shadows that the walls cast on the opposing hall, even with the light from the large windows. He smiled over at his friend, wrinkling his nose as he thought of the places they could go on the first floor. There was mainly only the ballroom and the throne room, with the kitchen and dining room off to one side. Then, there was the servant's quarters that took up most of the east wing.

"You have to see the ballroom. The architects redid the walls and floors and they shine more brightly than they ever have." Cryon said after a moment, remembering his own awe when he first saw the room. He grabbed the mage's hand in excitement, rushing towards it with an excited gate, unable to keep his buzz of excitement down. When they got there, instead of the normal goldish floors with pale walls and large chandeliers, there was an almost diamond floor, reflecting an array of colors, and flame-like walls that made the floor just sparkle more brilliantly. The chandeliers were the same material as the floor, adorned with the soft glow of the candle light with one highlighting the stage where the orchestra would play. "Amazing, isn't it?"

(Sorry, for some reason, I thought I had replied T.T)

((It's okay haha I do that too sometimes))

Mallin was happy in the gardens, happy to see green and purple and so many other colors together, flowers for nothing but decoration. It was nice, being in a place like this, even if it did make him think of Arcturus and hope Eide was doing all right with all the water conjuring Mallin had done each day. Even in a calm place like this he couldn't stop worrying and he had to mentally scold himself for it even as he investigated the flowers a bit, smelling one here and there and touching them gently.

When Cryon grabbed his hand and pulled Mallin had to laugh and just kept pace as best he could, letting the man pull him along. His old friend was so eager, the Mage mused, and he couldn't help being entertained by it. When they finally slowed and reached their destination, Mallin looked around at all the glowing crystal and glass and almost had to physically reach up to shut his own mouth when his jaw hung open. It was amazing, full of shine and glitter and color and it felt so much more alive and open than it had when he was young.

"It's beautiful, Cry!" He said in awe, and hurried deeper into the room as if encouraging his friend to wander around with him like they did as children. He looked up and spun a slow circle, trying to see everything and grinning helplessly. "Help me explore." It was all good fun, in that room. It was the next that brought back the pain.

The throne room doors had been replaced, as, he suspected, much of the interior had. He hadn't even opened the doors yet but he knew they had to have gutted the place in cleaning it after . . . Just, after. There was tension in his shoulders and a pained furrow in his brow as he stood staring at the doors, Cryon nearly forgotten at his side, but the Mage made himself reach for the knobs and push the big doors open in front of him.

He felt like a small child again, pushing open doors that had been taller then, seeing a room illuminated by torches and candles after dark, moonlight spilling through the few windows of the place. There had been two thrones, then, two opulent chairs standing tall where only the one was now, and they had looked at him, smiled for him, asked him what was wrong since he was up after he should have been in bed. Kind to him like they always had been.

It had all happened so fast.

Mallin found he'd walked almost all the way to the throne, could only recall the quiet, unsure steps if he tried very hard, and when he could force the sight of massacre from his mind he lowered himself to his knees and bowed his head, pressed his hands together with fingers laced to line up the runes on each palm. They were meant to purify him, make sure the only magic in him was his own, but even as he made sure of that he had to offer what he could in silence. Sorry would never be enough, but he still wished he could tell them.

Cryon grinned as he followed Mallin deeper into the room, standing in the slight darker line on the floor that etched the design of their crest in a massive picture among the glittering floor. It wasn't very noticeable, but during the night, when the sparkling pieces were illuminated by the moon, he could walk among the darker lines, tracing the crest with intricate steps and humming music as he went.

The way the mage stopped made the King tense as he looked at the doors that led to the room that had changed all that night. He swallowed thickly, watching Mallin carefully with sad eyes. He missed his parents, yes, but he had time to grieve and move on. He had the time to avoid the throne room and let it all sink in before he began to slowly make his way back. Mallin, on the otherhand, had spent the entire time running and hiding from the kingdom. He couldn't imagine what the mage must have been thinking.

He eased in with the mage, remaining completely silent as he let Mallin look around. He wanted to comfort him, to do something, anything, that would make him feel better, but he knew that the mage had to do this on his own. So, he remained a careful distance away from the mage, his jaw clenched with sadness as his friend put his arms together and got to his knees.

Cryon, with careful, silent steps, eased up behind Mallin and knelt behind him, resting on his knees with the heels of his shoes on either side of his hips as he reached out with his hand, resting it on the mage's shoulder. "Mallin..." Cryon trailed off, not sure what to say to make this entire thing better.

"They wouldn't blame you." Cryon whispered, his eyes large and sad as he looked down at the floor. It would be a long time before the memories of his parents didn't hurt, but he had to be strong for Mallin now. "You were as much of their child as I was. They would understand...and they would know that it wasn't your fault. I can see them now, smiling and cheering with joy with the gods at you finally returning home."

It wasn't fair. That was all he could think. Why them? The King and Queen had been kind and just to their people, and had treated him almost as well as their own son. They had known what he was forced to sacrifice by leaving his own family to be with the prince, and he could have resented them for it but they had always done what they could to make him feel like he belonged. It wasn't fair. They shouldn't have had to die. The only thing that came close to consoling him was how fast it had been. They hadn't felt a thing. Why hadn't it just been him?

They'd raised the windows, the Mage thought dimly as he felt his friend's hand on his shoulder, eyes squeezed tightly shut. He'd climbed out a window to escape and they'd raised them when things were changed. He remembered hiding in the bushes somewhere dark, sticks and thorns poking at him as he sobbed into his hands and tried to be quiet even though he couldn't hear the searching anymore. He'd been so afraid, so sad, so sick to his stomach. If only he'd been stronger - he tried not to think that way anymore, not after it had consumed him so fully he carved runes into his own arms.

Mallin looked at Cryon finally when he spoke, grip white knuckled on his own hands and a wet sort of pain in his eyes. His first attempt at words came out as nothing but a quiet, strained sound, and he finally just reached for the hand on his shoulder and held on, closing his eyes tight and turning his head away again as he struggled not to cry. ". . . thank you." He managed in a tight, watery voice after long minutes of sitting there, trying not to apologize over and over again. Maybe if he tried hard enough he would see them again some day. Maybe some day he would get to tell them how sorry he was.

When he could, Mallin got carefully to his feet, feeling weak-kneed and sick inside, but somehow just the tiniest bit better. Having Cryon by his side, and knowing that the man didn't hate him like he'd thought for so long - in his head it inspired the thought that maybe his friend was right and those precious people didn't hate him either.

"You - You must be hungry." He got out, remembering the prince requesting food from his staff, and did his best to force a watery smile. "I-I've kept you too l-long. . ." Maybe one day he would even walk into this place without feeling sick to his bones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cryon's eyes softened and he wrapped a single arm around Mallin, pulling him close as the king looked down at the ground. "I'm not worried about food right now, but I bet there might be some of those tea leaves left that we received as a gift from one of our trading allies.." Cryon said, leaning his cheek against the top of the mage's head as he allowed himself to collect his thoughts. He was never really good at cheering someone up or at least easing their misery. Usually, he just made it worse if he was too rash or quick in responding.

"Come on. I'm sure it will make you feel better. It's the best stuff I've ever drank and it'll give us time to just relax and maybe talk a bit more. After all, we have a lot to do with the upcoming wedding." Cryon spoke after a moment, removing his cheek from Mallin's head and slowly sliding his arm from the mage's shoulder. He squeezed it in a comfort though, smiling gently in encouragement before he led the mage out of the room.

The kitchen wasn't far from the throne room, but it was a few minutes of walk before they reached the door that had a faint scent of bread wafting from the cracks. He opened it, leading the mage inside, and smiling at the three cooks and their helpers as they hurried around the kitchen with precise skill and focus. On the small table that rested in the back right of the room, big enough for around ten people on the benches, sat two warm bowls of broth and freshly made bread that still looked to be warm.

"Could you make us the last of that tea?" The king asked one of the cooks. The man nodded without a second thought, bustling over to the cabinet with a slight hum in his voice as he opened it, pulling out a small rucksack bag while his helper began to boil the water for the drink. Cryon led Mallin to the table, motioning him to take a seat as he did so himself.

Mallin felt breath catch in his throat as Cryon pulled him close, letting his head drop to the former prince's shoulder and closing his eyes tightly for a moment as he was held. It was difficult for him still, letting himself accept such compassion and not just being further saddened by it, but the honesty in the gesture wasn't lost on him. The Mage, for his part, couldn't quite find the energy to hold Cryon back, simply raising a hand enough to hold on to the front of the king's shirt and keeping himself standing on his own power.

When Cryon let go, Mallin felt a little lost and out of sorts, nodding at his friend's suggestions and letting himself be led from the room. He did look back as they left and imagined he could see two figures standing on either side of a single thrown, smiling for him like they had so long ago, like they wouldn't again. The door shut quietly behind him and shut them away, but he hoped somewhere that they would really smile down on him again.

They reached the kitchen after a long silence, the Mage much more quiet and somber now, head bowed and shoulders hunched a bit rather than looking around everywhere he went. He sat meekly in the seat offered him without searching the dining room for new things and stared at the table in front of him with his hands in his lap. Eventually, he gave himself a minute shake and gradually latched onto the idea of speaking about something other than the past, a ill ball of emotion still laying heavy in his gut.

"The wedding. . ." He started quietly, fiddling idly with a small, loose thread on his sleeve. "What have I to do with it?" He questioned curiously, hesitantly. "I need to find clothes somehow. . . Where would you have me watch from?" He didn't want to ask where he should sit, in case he wasn't welcome at the ceremony after all - despite not doubting his friend he knew others were not so forgiving. But at the same time he wondered, if he were to sit in, if he would be allowed a place at Cryon's side. Surely the King would have a special place, even if he was just a friend of the groom and not family. And more than that, he wondered if he was to have a part in the setup as well. That was what it sounded like, and he would do all he could, he just wasn't sure what that was.

When Cryon sat, he set one of the bowls of broth near Mallin before placing his own broth by him. He wasn't quite ready to eat yet, preferring to wait until his friend was in a slightly better mood than he was at the moment. He folded his hands in his lap, listening to the soft sizzling of food on the stove and the boiling of water in the background. When the mage finally spoke, the king pressed his lips together, furrowing his brows as he thought for a moment.

"We could stop by the tailor tomorrow and see if they have anything in stock. If not, I can order something for you, as a 'welcome home' gift of sorts." Cryon said, a small and encouraging smile crossing his lips. "While we're out, we'll go see the groom to be and let you both catch up. I'm sure he will be ecstatic to see you again."

He paused for a moment, trying to picture the wedding in his head. They had already planned the layout, and the rings were being brought from the gold capital of the world and the next few days. The king himself was going to be at the head of the feast with the soon-to-be married couple and give them his blessing. When he imagined Mallin in the picture, he was always at his side, but he couldn't help but feel a bit of trepidation about it. What if Nima didn't agree with the mage being there?

"We will discuss the rest with Nima too." Cryon finally said, glancing up as one of the helpers eased their way over, setting down two glass cups with tea leaves in it and the hot water. She poured some of the water in each cup before placing them in front of their respective persons, bowing before backing up and watching them with wide eyes. That is until one of the cooks snapped at her and she began her work again.

Reactions: Caustic
It took Mallin a minute or two to realize there was broth sitting in front of him, and even then he only realized because he could feel a bit of residual heat from it drifting towards him. He considered picking up a spoon, as Cryon talked, but had to wonder if the broth would do more to soothe or upset his stomach. It looked warm and smelled good, though, and he decided when it was cooler he would test it. He needed to get himself focused again.

"Cry . . ." The Mage hesitated on words like 'you don't have to', or 'I can pay for it', stalled by thoughts of giving what he had to his family. ". . . Thank you. I'll try not to be a bother." It wouldn't be that much, really, not compared to what Cryon had, but Mallin had saved most of what he'd earned while living in Arcturus, living off of hospitality and his own mentor's insistence on handing him coins when instructing him to get groceries, so it would go a long enough way for a family of two. As much as he didn't want to impose on his friend, he would rather give everything he had to the family he didn't know anymore.

When the servant girl stopped and stared, Mallin didn't take offense or try to shoo her away or act mean so she would leave. He managed a little smile for her and thanked her before she was called away, met eyes briefly because a working class girl even in a castle like this was someone he was more used to than the rest of the people he would surely find himself around. He didn't want her to be afraid of him, either, after all. Even if he wasn't feeling well, it was no excuse for undue rudeness, and really there was a lot to be staring at. The hair, the marks, the clothes, the bandages around his hands - if only she had seen him without sleeves she would have known they wrapped all the way elbows, almost. He couldn't blame her for looking too long.

Carefully, Mallin settled both hands around the small cup though he knew it wasn't the proper way to hold it, old lessons on manners and dining drifting back to him in this place. He just wanted to feel the heat seep into his skin until it almost hurt, and finally took a small and careful sip before setting it back down again. "It's good." He said softly when he'd settled it quietly back into place, and looked at Cryon again. "Do you really think he'll remember me so fondly?" He didn't want to ask if Nima would remember him at all, since Cryon seemed to believe it and the Mage didn't want to crush his friend's hopes. "It's been a decade. . ." What if Nima had blamed him before, and held onto the idea even after he was proved innocent? Mallin tried not to be pessimistic, but he worried.

"He is a kind person, Mallin. He will know that you were not at fault, and therefore, have nothing to be sorry for." Cryon said, his brows furrowing together just slightly as he sipped on his own tea, letting the hot liquid wash over his tongue and ignoring the slight sting that came from it. "I should be the one apologizing. The way you were treated was unjust and downright cruel...I hope I never make that mistake again like I did with you."

The king fell silent for a moment before rubbing at his cheek, taking in a deep breath before smiling and taking another sip on the drink. "Anyways...is there anybody you would like to meet? Our old tutor and his family perhaps or the young servant that would always bring us sweets after dinner? I'm sure they're around the castle somewhere and it would be quite fun to drive them up a wall again, like old times." His smile became more genuine as he thought of the memories, his eyes getting a distant look as his hand subconsciously tightened around the tea.

(sorry it's short >.<)

"It wasn't your fault." Mallin said softly, shaking his head. "You were a child, too. . . I ran before anyone could do anything. . ." He hadn't been hurt or punished, not for that. The struggle had started after his first week or so away when he had to figure out a way to feed himself and keep running because every once in a while he would see knights searching, or hear people speaking of the King and Queen's demise. He wanted to say that he was sorry anyway, even if it wasn't his fault, but he supposed it was something like apologizing simply for existing and he was sure Cryon wouldn't be happy with him if he did that.

When Cryon spoke of seeing old friends, Mallin did give a small but genuine smile, idly moving the steaming bowl of broth a bit closer like he was considering actually eating. "I think I should keep out of trouble for a little while." He said, with a sliver of humor in his voice. "But it would be nice to see them. Perhaps we could wander again and look for them." He paused for a moment and glanced towards the door most of the staff went behind, to the kitchens. "Your staff may need some time to get used to me, I think." Hopefully the server that had stared had just been curious, and not afraid. The last thing he wanted to do was scare anyone by existing near them.

((It's okay :) ))

Status
Not open for further replies.