A Thousand Shining Stars ♥ Night of the Masquerade

"Well Anne of Elloria, it is a pleasure to meet you even if we were both dragged here." Ferius replied finishing the wine in a single gulp. "I will keep in the regal theme and let you call me Louis De Mentia. Or Simply Louis if you'd prefer." He closed his visor with a clang before looking out onto the dancefloor. The waltz was one he knew and setting his glass down on a marble-topped sideboard.

"This is a simple three step..." He said taking her hand and leading her away from the wall. "I may not be wearing the most fancy costume here, but would you care to dance Anne of Elloria?"

Summer laughed and patted Hector gently, scratching behind his ears "i won't, i love cats they seem almost human" she smiled at him "so when did you get him?" she looked him up and down, he was very handsome she wondered if he had a girlfriend and was silently trying to work out how to find out with out embarrassing herself.

"Oh…of course! My pleasure…" Calliopie could feel her face getting warmer, but accepted his offer with a bow. The music began once she put her hand in his, and much to her mother's surprise, began to dance. She had been taught how to waltz, and as far as her instructor had said- she was amazing at it.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Just like a princess should be.
<o:p> </o:p>
"I haven't danced like this in a while…" She mused, stepping with him into the middle of the crowd. Everyone moved around them in perfect time; by the time she and her partner joined the group, everyone was in sync. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Cal</st1:place></st1:State> could feel her face turn red, and when she accidentally stepped on Louis's foot, she was quick to apologize. "Goodness! Sorry!"
Prudence was completely shocked at the fact that her daughter was dancing with someone, and winced at the improper step. The queen of Elloria was pleased, however, when she watched as her daughter began to dance. For the first time, Calliopie was acting like a queen- dancing in step and being as polite as possible. The gushing mother couldn't help but grin as she watched <st1:State><st1:place>Cal</st1:place></st1:State> dance.
Finally, the girl was having fun!
The music seemed to last forever, but it wasn't in the painful way. Calliopie gave Louis a sweet smile as they danced. "I really appreciate this…" She mused. "Otherwise, I would have been stuck getting stared at by my mother…" The princess pointed to her mother in the crowd and rolled her eyes.

How was anyone supposed to tell how old these people were if everyone was wearing a mask. If Scarlette had to marry someone, an old man on the verge of kicking the bucket would probably be ideal. Then again, she could only imagine how disturbing the wedding night would be. If her uncle had his way, though, she would probably be marrying the very Prince of this whole party. He was speaking to his mother and wearing a mask like everyone else. But there was no mistaking who he was.

...and he was coming in this direction!

Scarlette was more than a little startled when out of all the women in the room, the Prince of Deceptia was bowing and asking her to dance. It was either the single most lucky moment of her life, or the gods were playing a cruel and unusual joke. Speechless, she glanced around to see if his guards were about to leap out and have her arrested. None in sight.

"I, uhm. Yes, your highness. I would love to dance."

He was surprised when she joined in the dance with the natural grace of someone born to it. She had said she didn't really dance after all. Well almost, he foot pressed down on his right as he needed to move it to get into step making him almost stumble into her. But they quickly fell into the steps and moved in perfect time with everyone else on the floor.

"I do think you were being modest." he said staring into her face behind the visor and even though she couldn't see it he was smiling, first time he genuinely had in a long time. "I may ave to ask for your real name so that we may meet again Anne." he said with a small chuckle "And this is the least I could do to see you smile."

Without realizing it he had used the charm tutored to him by a life at court. Perhaps it has seeing the skin at the edges of her mask redden or the wine, or htat she had no idea who he really was. but she make him feel at ease.

Do not tell who you really are....

Cal sighed to herself and danced with Louis. For some reason, her arm ached to hold her sword. The pain was overwhelming, but she enjoyed the dance with him. As she danced, she came closer to Louis. "I'm Calliope. Princess of Elloria." They danced through the crowd as the song ended. She glanced at him and expected him to be angry. One they had time to speak, Cal grabbed his hand and led him to the barely-populated balcony.

"So sorry for lying....but my mother told me to." It sounded silly, but she was honestly apologizing. With her hands in his, she tried to look at his eyes. "I am very sorry." As she was speaking, Cal bowed.

Being suddenly dragged by the arm shifted the overlarge helmet on Ferius's head and it took him a second to straiten it so that he could look at her. "Calliope." he repeated so that he wouldn't forget it, it also gave him time to think of a response to her confession. It wasn't the fact that she had hidden her name, everyone did at masquerades, but the fact that she didn't seem to know that everyone did and that she thought his name was Really Louis De Mentia rather than Ferius.

"Well, Calliope." he began "I think I've heard of you. Your country is famed for having an order of elite swordsmen." He was changing the subject, shamelessly in fact but maybe she'd think it was out of courtesy for her to save her further embarrassment. "I can't remember their name now but stories of their skill are ofter told."

He was growing tired of wearing the helmet and the balcony has nearly deserted so in a moment rashness he lifted it from his head shaking out his long hair. "I hope you don't mind its just uncomfortable and since we're no longer strangers.."

{This starts before the Time-Skip and leads to the current scene}

"Oh he saw-st thou? So that dost not make thou think he wouldst not see thou again sneaking around tonight? All of these different people of royalty around means there will be lots of guards! It ist not the same as frolicking through some unknown part of the forest. To be caught peeking in on that Masquerade wouldst get the both of us tossed away into the dungeon!"

Jonathan stared at her with an expression that got slightly angry around the eyes when she mentioned the Third Pillar of Faisen looking right at her through the rain. How could she have been so careless?! Why was she so curious about the visiting Royalty from THAT Kingdom? Part of him got why she was interested in the Masquerade Ball. . . after all she was a girl. They liked that sort of thing right? Fancy clothes, elegant dancing, good company, and most likely the rich pretty boys. For all he knew there were scrolls up on the walls of some girl's rooms of the visiting princes. But he felt worried that she would get into trouble she couldn't escape from at the Masquerade tonight.

[BG="#333366"]
Princess Aurora Lily F e l i c i a F a y [/BG]

[BG="#333366"]

Felicia cringed at his words, trying to stop him from being angry, but it was too late. She blinked as he scolded her, trying to understand why he was being so uptight about something so small. She bit her lip. "That's not true! They'll never notice us because of all the other guests..." she muttered uneasily; starting to fear that Jonathan would attempt to stop her from going to the masquerade.

"I want to go, Jonathan! I want to meet him, he must be amazing to be able to see me like that!" she exclaimed, pulling away from him and twirling around, "I want to dance in the grand ballroom in a pretty dress and meet all those royals..." she sighed happily, looking over at him.

Her eyes twinkled. As much as he knew, she loved the idea of the masquerade itself. And she was intrigued by the Third Pillar.

"We won't get in trouble. Just trust me."
[/BG]

Her words froze him.

"Wait. . . thous means to dance amongst them? How couldst we even pull off a facade such as that one?"

Now part of the young man wondered if she had truly lost herself to those fantasies which often led to their adventures. Just how would they get the clothes needed to blend in people on that high a level of sophistication? He didn't know that much about dancing either. Wait why was he even THINKING of going?! This was insane! And yet. . . in all honesty when would another chance such as this come in their lives? Disease could claim their lives during the coming Winter for all he knew since they were not tended to hand and foot. Even royalty had been known to fall ill even in their high stature.

". . .I dost not have any clothes nearly to the caliber required for that ball. It won't work."

She was starting to break him a bit. . . but she would have to come up with a way for both of them to get inside. At this point if she did end up going, he certainly wasn't going to let her go alone now. Not with how much interest she had shown in that Pillar person. It had the beginnings of something that would make her careless during the party. Someone would have to keep an eye on her the entire time.

[BG="#333366"]

[BG="#333366"]

"We could pull it off if were careful!" Felicia exclaimed happily and took his hand, pulling him in the direction of the orphanage, "I already have the most beautiful dress and don't you worry, they have something for you to wear to." At this the pale girl looked at him and grinned, wrinkling her nose.

The costume that had been prepared for Jonathan was a sight to see. It was old and strangely homely; Felicia had thought it quite queer, but she knew he'd be able to do something about it to make it look nice. She knew how talented he was, anyway. She walked faster, watching as he was slowly convinced.

"Come on! I told them to leave it in your room, so go take a look. I'm going to get dressed and meet you outside!" she gushed excitedly at the entrance of the backrooms of the orphanage where they had been given rooms to stay.

It was a humble residence, but Felicia loved being near her childhood home. She smiled at him and scurried into her room excitedly, sighing to herself. Jonathan was definitely right; someone would have to keep an eye on her tonight.
[/BG]

He listened to her words, partially unbelieving that she could have really pulled off so much behind his back. Niether that she had done an evil deed nor did he need to know everything that went on their orphanage beyond the confines of his own room. But she had managed to get an entire dress put together along with getting the children to make him an outfit. Part of him felt bad that they had actually gone to all that trouble for him. It was obvious by now she had turned him over onto her side in the way only a little sister could do to her older brother. One truly could end up amazed by how much power that slip of a girl could wield over others through sheer innocent charm.

Jonathan entered his room, finding the clothes that the other orphans had put together for him in secret. A soft smile came to his face as warmth went into his heart. None of them were royal seamstresses but he could see the effort in how well they had put together the old pieces of cloth into a homely suit. Next to it on the bed rested a mask which looked to be scraps of metal put together in a rather interesting pattern. But as much as he appreciated it all. . . these would never pass at the Masquerade as the clothes of Royalty.

Something had to be done.

Closing the door to his room and then pulling the patched together, raggedy curtains in front of the window he turned to look at the clothes. Both hands were placed on the clothes and his eyes were shut tightly in concentration. A picture in his mind formed of what beauty he saw inside these clothes that orphans had created for him. Tonight he had to use the secret gift which had made he and Felicia realize they had truly shared some bond together. Under his touch slight shimmering sparkles spread outward into the clothing and enchanting the attire so that it sprung to life while seeming to 'shake away the years' that each fiber had endured. When it was finished his eyes opened to witness a wonderous sight before them. . .

. . . clothes befitting a Prince.

Quickly he slipped off his ow clothes and put the enchanted outfit on, finding that it even smelled as beautiful as it looked. Now he walked over to the bed where what would be his mask lay. Placing it on his face quickly and fastening the straps, he then ran his hand across the surface slowly. Fierce concentration went into keeping the original design intact while taking away other things such as rust and dullness. Once everything was completed he walked down the hall to Felicia's room and knocked on the door.

"Tis done."

[BG="#333366"]

[BG="#333366"]
Felicia opened the door happily, beaming at him. She was dressed in the clothes that she'd helped some of the seamstresses in the city help her design. Most of the handiwork was her own, but the bits and pieces had been given to her as gifts. Almost every kindred soul in Deceptia knew about her mischievous ways and often aided her in her silly quests. She looked at Jonathan's attire and gasped, walking around him, surprised.

"Wow, you really are amazing, Jonathan!" she exclaimed, clapping for him cheerfully.

She glanced outside through a window and blinked, "Ah, we have to hurry or we'll be late!" she realized the masquerade had probably already started. She scurried back into her room for her mask and slipped the ribbons through her hair and tying them in little bows.

She took his arm and rushed out the back door, humming to herself. She was quiet as they walked, her mind buzzing with excitement. Jonathan could probably tell from the way she was practically racing to the back wall of the castle's gardens.

But today, something was odd. The garden's back gate, which was always locked and bolted shut was open. It led to a pathway lit with sparkling roses and a gem-studded carpet.

Straight ahead, the lights of the ballroom spilled onto the back of the garden. Felicia grinned, "Look, they even gave us a special entrance~" she let go of his arm and ran ahead as daintily as she could, entering the ballroom from a side door with a breathless, windblown look.

She clasped her hands together and sighed happily. This is it! My very first masquerade ball!

[/BG]

A bow of her head. She'd used the royal title which made the task at hand all the more simpler. It also meant the girl was observant and could prove troublesome if she ever happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. "Wrong place" being wherever Raven the assassin was and "wrong time" when he was fulfilling a contract. She led the girl out to the dance floor. She would much rather be in the city, sharpening her killing skills than this. But she knew the dance steps. How could she not? An assassin was required to keep up with things, be it the latest gossip or the most complicated dances. Knowledge was power.

She saw an open spot and led the girl there, then gave another customary bow as the men on the dance floor did the same to the women they were dancing with. Or at least some did to those they thought were women. Then she stood and fell to the rest of the dance. "I hope I didn't pull you away from anything." A glance off to the side. The Prince was, for all appearances, a tad dramatic.

[size=-2]
It was not often that Christoph were in poor spirits, but admittedly all of these people were not common either in his normally boisterous but rather sparsely inhabited palace. He smoothed the buttons down the front of his shirt and attempted to find a place where he could nurse something to drink in a corner. Lovely young women paired with handsome young men who looked at though they had been born in the elegant finery they now wore. Christoph realized, belatedly, that perhaps part of his poor temper this evening was jealousy. Christoph felt ashamed and glanced around, as though someone could possibly detect this glimmer of thought or that thread of emotion. It would be pertinent, he thought, to remember everything I have. After all, not everyone is adored and admired by the people of their country. He had, also, kind parents whose sole wish was to see him happy and prosperous in his rule.

With these beacons in his mind of his own blessings, Christoph eased slightly but his outfit did not aid him in this as he watched the men move effortlessly in their tightly tailored clothing. His clothing, of course, was as finely tailored... but one cannot tailor to incorporate a strong man's muscle without providing a fit that looks baggy everywhere he is not exerting a muscle. If it had been proper, Christop thought wistfully, he could have found some sweet young woman who worked at a winery and married her on their joint love of the land, the smell of the fresh earth... but this was not possible. Not only could he not scout the wineries for a woman he fancied but when he was king, he would have more on his plate than the tending of young vines.

Renewed somewhat in spirit, he looked about again for some woman to talk with. Even if she did not become the precious object of his affection, it could signify that he was no unfriendly giant. Christoph reached to scratch his head, which also seemed to be itching badly, when he remembered why that was and struggled not to become irritable once again.
[/size]

Scarlette was so out of her league, that she was struggling to think of something to talk about with the Prince. Uncle gave her a list earlier in the day. Things a Princess should say and do. But now that she was in the moment, dancing not just with -a- prince but -the- Prince, all she could think about was getting dragged away in chains and spending the rest of her life in prison.

The smile she gave him must have looked so strained. Scarlette attempted to force herself to relax. She needed to flirt. Stylishly. Not the brazen way she could get away with at the local taverns.

"You did, but I can wander around the ballroom lost and aimless any time." she finally responded, giving up on trying to think up something more royally clever. Now it was her glancing around. It must of looked like she was trying to escape. "So..! Um. The night is beautiful, don't you think? It's all very... colorful."

Smooth. If only you could land a husband by clobbering him over the head and dragging him away.

Tybalt smiled, giving the young lady a rare sight on his face these days. He loved telling stories and here was his chance to tell a story he loved to tell. "I got him from my travels far to the East. Towards the Lands of Sands, just south of the major port city of Vidabul. The buildings of this land were all made out of a very pretty white stone and were painted in bright colors, all sorts of blues, reds, golds, and greens. I had stepped off the planking of a vastly size ship. I then met a rather large man wearing a turban. He must have weighed around 300 lbs and could have easily crushed any lesser man. He told me, "Son, I have something that may interest you." Of course, I was curious so I went to see what he was offering. I had never met this man before and I was worried he may have been a slave trader and was looking for someone of my strength. I kept my blade hidden under my green cape and my face was wrapped in a hood, just in case. I followed the man, speaking in an ancient language I had learned from my grandmother. Sitting right there on a table made out of the purest gold was Hector. We've been friends ever since."

He then took a closer look at the girl. Her body language was suggesting she was interested in more than just the cat. A perfectly natural response at a ball. "May I help you with something?" He then asked.

Emeline stepped up to the top of the staircase.

"Announcing... The Second Pillar, Emeline."

It was always fashionable to be a little bit late. She descended the stairs as elegantly as she could, keeping her posture straight and her footsteps dainty. As she looked around the full, bustling ballroom, she was on her guard with her father's words rang in her ears. She had to start hunting right away. First, she spotted Sybyl's placement serving platters of food, and then she continued scouting the masked faces. She recognised her younger sibling right away, chatting at some poor young woman. He was no doubt boring her with one of his stories.

Forcing herself into her most diplomatic state of mind, she advanced on Tybalt.

"So sorry to interrupt," she said to them both, turning more to Tybalt than the woman, "I just wanted to... check in, as it were." As long as he remembered why he was there, she would leave him to it. She had no interest in babysitting him, but she had to at the very least ensure he was all right.

Summer blushed as he caught her staring at him "well... i was just wondering if you'd like to dance?" she asked with a smile, she was about to say more when another masked princess walked over "So sorry to interrupt, I just wanted to... check in, as it were." Summer said nothing as the girl was clearly addressing him and totally ignoring her, so she stood were she was watching them waiting for the girl to leave whilst patting Hector.

Mason decided he looked ridiculous standing near the entrance, Summer had done a good job making him look like a prince why let it go to waste? Making sure he could still see Summer clearly on the balcony he took a deep breath and stepped towards
Felicia, smiling nervously he extended his hand to her "Fair maiden would you grant me the honor of a dance?"

[size=-2]
Christoph nearly leapt at the opportunity as another woman approached - at least he would feel like less of a failure if he could get just one of the lovely young women to dance with him. She seemed a little aloof for his taste, he was fond of sweet, straight-forward girls, but a dance did not have to be a marriage proposal.

Christoph dodged around people, made more difficult by the attire, but managed to make it over to the lady in question. "Peculiar to announce your name at a masked ball, you must be important. Could I hope to be favored with a dance? I appear to have been a little more unsociable than I intended, or perhaps my size is too intimidating, but either way I have not found a partner to dance with. I'm sure it would make up entirely for it though, if I could dance with the loveliest woman in the room... Emeline, was it?"
[/size]

"Checking in?" Tybalt then puffed a little smoke from the pipe he had been smoking before Summer had asked about his cat. "Well dear sister, there is nothing to check up on." Tybalt knew what his father had demanded each of the three Pillars to do, but like all rebellious youth decided that the demands of an old man bared little on the goals that he, Tybalt, had made for himself. "The night is young. I'm sure there are more important people to deal with, I should be the least of your concerns dear Emeline." There was no real tone in Tybalt's remarks, so any hints of sarcasm would have been overlooked.

"Now," he said as he stood up from his perch, landing on his feet much like a cat, "This fair maiden has made a request to dance. So please excuse me for the time being."

"Yes. It is beautiful." Several moments of silence. Raven circled her partner, stopped in front of her, bowed, took her hand and turned her around. Step to the right. Step to the left. Let the girl think she was also thinking of something to say, dip her head slightly to pretend she's a bit shy. The Prince could be awkward around girls his age. When they were older, he could smile, be respectful. When they were younger, he would smile again but a little more carefree. Twit.

"My lady ... If I ... may have your name?" she asked softly. "You dance wonderfully." She made the words sound genuine. The tone of a prince who was also uncertain but was trying to make her comfortable. Groping for words, looking for a way to break the ice. This is why royalty were a dying breed. They spent too much time talking.

Summer smiled and taking his hand, lead him to the dance floor without waiting for a response. "So your sister is protective huh?" although it didn't look like you too are family she said putting her hands on his shoulders, she knew she was being too forward but she didn't care she wanted to dance and she had too start somewhere. She smiled at him "So i take it you've danced before?" i hope so, i hate to lead a clumsy prince

"As someone wise once said, you can choose your friends but not your relatives. I'll just leave it at that. Family affairs can wait on a night of festivities." Hector followed closely behind them, cocking its head every once and a while looking interested in the affairs of its master. Tybalt grinned when the young woman placed her hands on his shoulder. A rather ambitious young woman, Tybalt found this entertaining compared to some of the others that had appeared thus far. "Of course I can dance, my friend. Though it is polite house manners for two dance partners to know each other's names. You may address me as Tybalt."

Summer smiled "my name is Summer." "you know your quite different than the other princes here, in a good way" She grinned "your not a bad dancer either" she was enjoying herself there was something interesting and mysterious about this boy and she liked it. "So i hope you don't mind me being so forward." she said as they danced "most princes find it un-ladylike"