A Reluctant Alliance

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ana feels relief to hear his voice and she has not realized how anxious she was that she would not hear it. When he releases her, she feels more stable and yet completely lost all in the same moment and Ana pushes the emotions away, not wanting to deal with them right now. So much happened yesterday and she doesn't know completely what to think of it and she doesn't want to. She just wants to find comfort in the fact that she's still alive, that they are all alive and relatively unhurt....wait.

The Princess sits up swiftly and ignoring the way her head spins, she presses her finger to her ribs, blinking in astonishment to feel that they are whole, unbroken or even cracked. When had that happened? HOW had that happened? She looks at her hand then, almost positive she'd seen a spark on her fingers and Ana swallows, unsure if she should be nervous about that or not. It hadn't hurt and maybe she'd been imagining it...

She focuses her attention back on Oran, looking down at him and her hand comes out to feel his forehead, uncaring of the sweat. IT's not like she smells of roses herself. "I'm fine thanks to you, but you're not." He's burning still and Ana doesn't like it as she gets out of bed, her body telling her its not fully recovered but it will cooperate. And it does as she goes to the bathroom and wets a few towels, coming back with a bowl of water. She sits on the edge of the bed then and presses the cloth to Oran's forehead and then his cheeks and neck, mopping up the sweat and trying to help bring down the fever.

Ana glances at his arm then and winces, her pale gold-hazel eyes coming to meet his amber with regret. "Sorry. I don't...really even know why I did that."

A smile curls onto Oran's lips once he sees her press her fingers to her healed ribs. He knows that his flames have consumed her hurt and taken them out as sweat in his own body. This fever, he knows, has to run its course or else her ribs will not fully heal. Not wishing that upon her, he feels her get up and groans in protest to her movements. She is going to try and dull his heat but he can't allow that. It must die off on its own. For her sake! The cloth touches his face and he instantly winces, his body wanting the dense wetness but at the same time, requiring that Oran push her hand away. "No..." He breathes out in a husky whisper. "You can't wipe away the sweat. I have to... be patient. Let it take... it's course." Heaving in a large breath, his face turns stern once more, unwavering at his words.

He is not cruel in his speak, just... unlike himself for, yes, his eyes do shine with their normal light but his smile falters. "You need rest." Closing his eyes, he knows that he shakes involuntarily. Wiping his face again with his hand, Oran finds her eyes once more. "I don't need a nurse. Let the fever run it's course for it will destroy your darkness. Think of it... as I am harboring your disease, whatever Ceverno placed upon you, slowly killing it. In order for my body and my flames to strike the final blows, I need to just rest. Sleep and time will be my ally. If you want to help, inform the King that I will not be meeting with him. You, on the other hand, shall speak in my place for it would be ... rude to come all this way and not see him. Even if he is understanding to our situation. It'll show the Re'kor integrity. No matter what may happen," His moist palm finds her wrist and he grabs a hold of her, "you -need- to see him."

Everything in Ana protests his command to leave him, to let the fever be, but she obeys. She obeys because she trusts him and she knows he's dealt with the flames longer than she has or ever will. Her species is not one that can harbor fire, much as it seems to fascinate Ana and she nods in understanding at his words even if she doesn't like them. She knows he's right. Only his talent can combat the dark magic and she needs to let him do that, trust that he can.

She doesn't however, trust that she can represent his species properly to the king, but she doesn't mention that, only swallowing and nodding again. She's uncertain, but when she looks at him, Ana knows she will do what she can. She will represent his family and do her best to honor their name for his sake. "I will meet with him. I promise." She wants him to rest, to not worry about it and Ana smiles softly before standing.

Her pale eyes flicker to Azule and she tells him to stay, to watch Oran as she heads to the bathroom. It really wouldn't do to go see a king with vomit in her hair. She showers quickly and dresses in the most formal clothes she's brought with her before exiting the bathroom and glancing toward Oran in worry she tries not to show. She approaches the bed and brushes her fingers across his forehead again, and then leans forward before she can talk herself out of it, giving in to instinct and impulse as she places a kiss on his forehead. It's a simple thing, chaste and she stands after that, her voice soft. "Thank you." She means for everything and knows he will know that as she straightens with determination and leaves the room.

Oran, for the most part, slips in and out of conscienceness throughout the time that Ana cleans herself up for presentation. "Good, good." Is all he can muster to say at her agreement to meet with the King. Boy he was ready for a fight, having her scream and even hit him at such an offer. But again, he did just save her life so it's the least he can do and now she is saving his. The Kel'korians have a tradition of never backing down even when all hope seems to be lost. Some people call it stupidity and others admire their integrity in such situations. Oran, for one, is glad that Ana will be taking his place for he knows she will do well. They have gone over the plans over and over and what answers they'll be required to give. "You'll be fine. I'm sure that if you don't have an answer, you can tell him to give you time to think and come back later with a proper answer. Representing me should be enough for him to bow his head."

Slowly slipping back into the peaceful rocking of a dream, Oran imagines himself in a room with no windows nor furniture. Looking at himself from above, Oran can't help but sense trouble, the walls around him turning into the rock of a cave. Slowly, those collapse in on his body and he is pushed underground but instead of dirt, he is swimming in water. Surrounded by it but there is no strength left in him to fight the current. It's all happening again, he is drowning. Letting out a short and angry breath, he has started to perspire again, his eyes flashing open as he darts up from the bed. Ana, meanwhile, is showering and Azule is giving him a concerned yet curious look. "It's fine... boy." He mutters, placing his hand on his beating chest before laying back down. Ana comes in and he looks to her, not stopping her hand from touching his face nor kissing his forehead.

Before he can even speak, she flees. The swirling of her clothes spiraling around her before the oak of the door closes and ends Oran's thoughts of how beautiful she had looked. "I hope this passes." Closing his eyes once more, he starts to mutter to himself, trying to keep his mind from turning into mush. Oran feels useless! Just laying around like a sack of potatoes waiting to be of some use to someone. Has he really turned into just a tool? No. Him and Ana are close now and it seems that every single time Ceverno comes... they ... grow closer? How can that be... his intentions are to pull them apart and yet that snake fails, coiling up, wounded, in the grass.

----

The meeting had gone well. It had honestly surprised Ana for her to realize that she was a great deal more capable of speaking for her own species and her husbands without issue. She hadn't known she'd retained so much about Oran's people and his way of life on his planet, the things they'd need and could do until her mind had been put to the test. And it had, but now it was over and she felt confidence in knowing that she'd done her best and that everything had gone smoothly. And the Tellians - despite the death of one of their ranking members - were satisfied with how this visit had gone. She was sure Oran would have no complaints.

At the thought of her husband, Ana pauses in her single-minded quest and wonders if he is all right. She wants to check on him....but she knows that Divi will probably come while she is gone and she doesn't want to come between them anymore than she already has. She doesn't want to deal with that awkwardness. So she makes up her mind and keeps making her way down the halls. She'd complimented the King on the Tellian's vast library, having heard of such things from Oran on their way here and the ruler had invited her to see them, offering a guide. Ana had accepted, knowing the bait had been taken.

She now came into the great domed building, shelves and shelves of books and screens decorating the walls, offering paperback and electronic reading. Ana thanks her guide for bringing her and then makes her way around on her own, going to a screen and sitting, taking a deep breath before she lets her fingers start to type on the pad provided. She has come here for a specific purpose. Too much has happened for her to think it's a coincidence anymore.

She needs to know what the purple Tellian who'd died for her was speaking of. She needed to know what a Draykoni was.

"Why'd you do it?" Divi asks Oran, sitting beside him on the bed, holding his hand in hers. The warrior has his eyes half closed, feeling exhausted in every way, shape, and form. Turning his head in her direction, he grumbles his question of what she means by such a thing. Divi, drawing herself close to him on the bed runs her finger over his knuckles. "You risked your life to save one of her kind, Oran." She looks down and threatens to have her grip flee from his. Not allowing such a thing, Oran clamps down on her fingers with an easy flip of his hand, ordering her not to go. For if she goes, he will be alone and the company is nice. They have talked about so many things but the topic of his marriage has stayed hidden in the haystacks of their past. Sooner or later, Oran knew, it would have to come out.

"She is more than just an object to me now, Divi. If you had known me a few months prior... I would have agreed with you and let her die. Left her on the ground to rot but you know me, my love. I cannot let an innocent woman--"

"But she isn't innocent, Oran! Open your eyes. Sweetheart... please." Her hands slip from his and she leans over his chest, her hair spilling across his skintight suit. "You married, willingly married one of her kind and you knew from the start that she and her people have killed so many of your brothers and sisters. Your people. Your country." Her words sting and Oran has to close his eyes, feeling the anger well up inside of him. Yes that is how they were but their kind has made an alliance and they're sticking to it.

"Divi, I don't want to fight you. Come, speak in a civil tongue and hear me out. Do not judge her, Ana, for who she is known as but what really compiles her. I have spent time with her and yes, of course, at the beginning I wanted to rip her to shreds." Oh Divi was hurt by that statement and her mind fills in the blanks before Oran can finish them himself with the truth.

"You love her, don't you? Don't you, Oran? She has poisoned you... can't you see that? Her people killed the Jelkop's. They made a treaty and her people went back on their word. Weren't you listening? It's only been... four months?" Oran's face stays unwavering, his jaw clenched as her fingers slip over his scruff. "And how long have you known me?" She leans in and kisses his lips. They're soft and smell of strawberries, Oran's old habits causing his own mouth to open and greet her lips with his own hungry ones. His inner being craves for her but her words are a disruption to his thoughts and his spirit. Indeed he loves Divi but why won't she give Ana a chance to prove herself? When their lips part, he smiles, remembering their first kiss in the swamp where he too had been wounded then and he is wounded now. "Trust me." She whispers once more, coating his jawline with pecks. "I am the one who loves you."

Her search yields confusing results on the updated database and Ana growls in frustration, digging deeper into the archives. She doesn't find what she needs on any electronic system and has to resort to researching the books she needs. She searches the library for them then and sits down with the volumes, blowing some of the dust off them for they haven't been touched in a long, long time. The Princess starts to read, to search, determined now as she can not imagine why it should be so hard to find information on one simple species.

Draykoni. Draconia. Dracon. Dragon.

Ana works her way backward from the limited amount of knowledge and information she can find out about Draykoni and she grows more puzzled as she compares books and notes, finally sighing in frustration as she leans back in her chair and rubs her temples, eyes closed. She tries to think back on what has led her here, seeing if anything fits with the little she has discovered. The purple Tellian had asked if she had wings. Had called her Draykoni twice now. And Ceverno had said something about waking her. Something about power and when he'd touched her, she'd felt something being ripped from her that she'd not even known existed. And there was something constantly trying to come forward whenever Oran's flames were visible. They all went together somehow, she knew it.

Ana just had to figure out HOW they did and WHAT it meant.

She sighed again and kept reading, grabbing a new book and flipping through the words with a mind that was going numb. She almost didn't register the sentences she started to read, but then seemed to realize what it was she'd stumbled upon and Ana sat up abruptly, her heart starting to pound as a million connections snapped to attention in her mind.

Draykoni. A species of dragon long extinct. Their planet had been destroyed, their people massacred by another species called Venicni; a serpent-like species who preyed on the Draykoni' powers and life-source. The Venicni were masters of disguise, able to vanish at will and they usually attacked during storms when the Draykoni were grounded and couldn't fly away.

Masters of disguise. Stealing power and life-source. Storms.

Ana continued to read almost frantically now, knowing she'd stumbled on to the right book.

Last edited:
Failing to come back when she litters his face with kisses is one of Oran's faults and Divi knows it. She makes her way to his ear, not caring for the way he may smell or the salty sweat on his face. She is his and she knows it. When he tries to speak, she lays herself across his side and just continues to kiss him, shutting out any retaliation that he may have. It's been so long since she has had his lips on her and his scarred face in her hands. Not having a moment to lose, she keeps the kisses coming, not ever wanting to let go. She fears that if she stops, he will stop his desire for her. There is something different about him and the way his lips interact with hers. Hungry, yes. But passionate as they used to be? He... he is lacking that final pull that makes her crave him. She can't put her finger on why... perhaps the distance between them has lengthened their spark to a small sputter but she will bring the flame back.

Oran finally pulls away, turning his head out of her way. "Divi..." He breathes, feeling the energy flow back through his body. She has given him what he needed to push onwards. "I'm... so very sorry I doubted you." At that, the fellow Kel'korian smiles, her own eyes dancing with joy. Those dancers soon trip though once Oran keeps speaking. "But you're wrong. Ana--" Divi pulls her hands back and puts them over his mouth.

"I don't to hear about it, Oran. Not now... just. For now... love me and hold me, please?" She snuggles up against his form and he feels obligated to oblidge to her wishes. A large part of him does want her here and another part is wanting to push her right off. Ana molded against him last night as Divi used to do all the time. They would sneak into one another's room and leave before daybreak. This time, Oran can't help but feel awkwardly placed here. Perhaps time will soften his side for her but right now, he looks up and hopes she doesn't see his small frown. He wants to talk about Ana. He wants to prove to her that she might be a difference race but that doesn't matter. He has learned to care for her as he would a sister. Or... perhaps not?

Family Trees. She come upon family trees at the end of the book and Ana starts to read through them, something growing and nagging in her mind, something important that she knows she is failing to grasp. It is starting to make a sort of sense, but she can't seem to figure out which way the puzzle should turn, which way is right-side up and the Princess tries not to grow frustrated again as her eyes scan over names that mean nothing to her. The rest of the book had contained general facts like what the Draykoni planet had been like, how long they lived, what they ate, how they were drawn to fire and could enhance it - that part had made Ana nearly choke to read - what their habits were....nothing terribly useful to her.

Ana's eyes continue to scan the page until she comes to the bottom, the last of the family tree of a family called 'Nove'. It is at the bottom that she spots the name, the familiar name that sends a deep longing through her heart but at the same time shiver down her spine for she had not expected to see it here, in this book.

Laia Nove. Her mother. The woman her own mother-name is deprived of. Novelaia.

Ana feels the world spin around her and she stares at the name on the page, barely able to read the note that is placed beside it. 'Died in massacre, last of the Nove family.' She knows that can't be true though. Her mother birthed her, birthed her brothers. She'd died when Jamekon was born....during a storm, only two short years after Ana had met Ceverno. The pieces start to click for Ana and she starts to feel like she can't breathe as she searches back through the book reading the passage that had not made sense to her, but was starting to now with shocking clarity.

'In the absence of pure blood, the gift passes down through the female bloodline.'

In the absence of pure blood...a half-breed. A mix of two species. Ana understand that, but the gift...that confuses her and she finds she's staring at her hand, wondering at the spark she'd seen on it that morning. She hadn't been sure at the time but now... She can almost feel the strange something in her body stirring with interest at her thoughts and Ana begins to think she understands.

And she begins to fear what it means.

Oran's body soon starts to relax and accept the form that he knows so well. His warmth cradles her and his fever starts to die down for a whole day in bed is just what he needs to gather his strength. His world blackens and he dreams of a wide expanse, in the desert, having to climb a pillar that is cylinder shaped and completely smooth down its sides. Not even his flame will help him but then Divi comes to his aid. Still, even the two of them together, cannot climb this pole. Becoming frustrated, Oran starts to knock it down with his bare fists, only resulting in blood. He hears a cry and turns but before he can see what is there, his eyes snap open. Blinking plenty of times, he wonders how long it has been. Glancing to the window, he sees the last of the sunset drift beneath the horizon. The gold of the rays growing dim and eventually fading.

"Divi?" He asks, knowing she is still there for her heartbeat is against his. She too stirs from her slumber, greeting him with sweet amber eyes. She asks what he wants and he motions for her to get out of the bed. "Ana should be here soon - perhaps we can go to the restaurant below and eat? I'm sure Ana can take care of herself." With an unwilling but cooperative nod, Divi slides from him, taking her chances to kiss him longingly before breaking away. When they're in public, they cannot make any romantic gestures for the populace will start to fabricate a story. It'll be correct that they are indeed lovers but incorrect in every other aspect. How they met and what their story truly is.

She helps him undress and put on some loose fitting clothes. He still has a slight fever but he assures her that he needs to just walk it off. Nodding, he cradles his arm over her shoulders and leans his weight onto her, knowing she can handle it. Her hand comes up to press against his chest, feeling his heartbeat tickle her fingers as they move. "I love you, Oran." She reminds him, wanting him to know his place in her heart. But what about his own heart? Oran just smiles, not being able to answer such a cosmic question. The fact is ... he wants to love her back but... can't. Something inside of him is telling him that this isn't the Divi he grew to love way back when. She was once accepting of other races but now she isn't giving Ana a chance.

She's learned what she can and Ana knows there is nothing more for her here in the library. She leaves, her thoughts whirling like a hurricane through her head, trying to make sense of everything. She attempts to put what she knows in a sensible order and finds that it is difficult at first but not impossible and by the time she's starting to really sort it out, she's before the bedroom door. Opening it, Ana truly doesn't expect to see Oran there and she's right. The bed is empty and she can smell the presence of another female. Divi. It had to be.

Azule comes to greet her and Ana pushes down the sadness that had started to bubble up inside her and then the anger that had come from a place even deeper within her core, the place the strange part of her resided. She didn't want to yet think of the reasons why that part would be angry and so ignores it, petting the dire wolf lovingly, pressing her forehead to his. "Good boy. You're a good boy. Come on, let's go for a walk."

She doesn't bother with a leash as Azule seems much calmer, almost older today and he stays at her side as faithfully as Shadow ever did. The Princess is left to think as they make their way down the halls and toward the balconies that will overlook the ocean.

Her mother...had been a Draykoni, a species so closely related and yet different from the Saliphian that she'd blended in. No one had known of her past - well, maybe the King did? - and she'd married Vanorn. Her first child had been a boy, a Saliphian in everything but blood. And then Ana had come, a female, a half-breed, but of the female bloodline. A carrier of the gift...whatever that was. Her mother had escaped a massacre only to have her enemy follow her, a Venicni; Ceverno for all the pieces fit now. His ability to vanish, the fact that he looked like a Saliphian but had dark magic, something Ana's people couldn't harbor within themselves.

Ceverno had preyed on Ana, perhaps thinking it would be a good way to get at Laia? Or maybe his plans were more sinister than that. Ana didn't know those details but she did know one thing and it made her blood boil even as she came to the railing that overlooked he sea, her hands tight upon the wrought iron. Ceverno had killed her mother. The storm that night....her brother's sickly condition, her mother's weakening strength even though the doctors had said she was healthy and strong when the labor started... Ceverno had poisoned her mother, of this Ana was now sure and she felt the need to rage, to hurt something and she couldn't. She had to suppress the desire and it made her tremble and her tail lash, keeping all others away from her. Azule sensed her tension and did his part by baring his fangs at anyone who came too near.

Ana worked on calming herself, forcing her mind to move on to the rest of the facts.

Ceverno had been manipulating her, trying to control her....all in an attempt to 'awaken her' on his terms. Last night he'd gotten impatient and had stolen part of her life-force....and then Oran had given it back. Pale gold-hazel eyes stared out at the waves, not really seeing them. Oran who wielded fire, her husband who could enrage and calm her all in the same breath. The man who made the something - the Draykoni? - in her stir and strain to be free, seeking the flames, singing to them in hopes they'd hear. The Draykoni part of her wanted to be with him, to be near him. It sought his protection as well as his challenge. It demanded of him - though, he did not know it - and it grew furious when its needs were ignored.

Ana was starting to understand that now even if she didn't understand everything. She only wondered....would Oran? He already hated her tail, tolerated her scales, they were only just newly friends and she was hindering him from being with Divi. Would he really accept this new part of her that she didn't understand herself?

Ana wasn't sure if she yet had the courage to find out.

Oran takes his time eating for once, focusing on Divi and the conversation at hand. Being very sure not to bring up Ana out of fear that Divi might just storm off, Oran is careful with plucking certain stories so that his wife is not in them. He thinks of it like picking the ripe grapes off a sprouting vine, tangling every which way. He wants to reach out and touch her but society is staring and he knows he cannot. They laugh. Together. For the first time in what seems to be years. Oran can't help but feel so very light on his feet as they take a stroll around the inn, forgetting all about who he is and his position in the world. Right now, he is just letting his heartbeat be himself. He is Oran and not Master Re'kor or Prince Oran. And this is how he prefers it when he is with Divi for she always felt under him, rightfully so because of his status, but Oran would not tolerate such words from her mouth.

They find a bench by the water and look out onto the waves. Divi slinks her hand into his, knowing of his fear and wishing for her touch to calm the emotions rattling inside Oran. She speaks softly and with thought, "You know, Oran, I can always give you a swimming lesson." Scooting closer to him, their shoulders are now touching and his tense body relaxes. Her dress is smooth and smells of fresh cotton while his garb is, lack of a better word, a mess. Their talk becomes more serious, no longer cracking jokes left and right. They talk of Ana but Divi does not seem to get angry, she seems all but that. Curious and willing to listen. Yes. This is the Divi that Oran remembers from long ago. He adores her company.

Ana has never been near the ocean and she finds she wants to experience it. Not just to look, but to touch. Her mind is frayed, raw and she just wants to forget for a while, to let it settle. It takes some time for her to find her way down to the sand from the inn, but the Princess is patient and she soon finds a path that takes her were she wants to go. She takes her shoes off even before she gets to the beach and her feet curl in the sand with a smile. She undoes her red hair and lets it fly, lets the salty air play with it, tugging it this way and that, leading her ever closer to the water.

Azule barks his pleasure, racing away on the sand and after a moment, Ana laughs and follows him. It has been a while since she's simply been allowed to run and her muscles coil and stretch, remembering their speed. She keeps up with her dire wolf easily for a few minutes before slowing, coming to the water and giving a surprised yelp as it splashes over her feet. It's cold! And it's completely soaked part of her skirt, but Ana doesn't mind that as she wades a bit deeper, up to her shins and attempts to call Azule in after her.

He's having none of it, though, racing back from the waves and barking at them when they retreat, playful but completely unwilling to get wet. Ana shakes her head at him and turns back to the water, looking out at the waves that come ever closer but turn smaller when they hit her body. She won't go out because she does not know this type of water, but its beauty is mesmerizing and she finds her spirit calms somewhat. Well, part of it.

The Draykoni inside of her is still restless for reasons she can't pinpoint. She doesn't know that side of herself, hasn't blended with it. They are like two different people in the same body to Ana and she is both curious and wary of figuring out how to let her other side loose. She doesn't know what will happen if she does.

"I have to go." She mutters to Oran, leaning up to kiss his warm cheek before letting her fingers remember his shape. Strong rectangular jaw loosening to those chilled fingers of hers. Slender yet comforting enough to make him even smile. Wide and willing. He wants to kiss her but knows he cannot. Instead he brings her hand away from his cheek and kisses her knuckles before standing up, pulling her along. His eyes assure her that they will see one another again and she gives him a big hug, nuzzling and kissing his neck before leaving. Oran feels her spirit pass right through his fingers, not longer having the comforting fabric of her dress and the rosy skin against him. All he can do is wave. Burring his hands underneath his arms and across his chest, he starts to walk by the water.

Once there, he sees a girl splashing in the water. Grinning, he squints from near the rocks, leaping across the few left and then hitting the dense sand beneath his booted feet. Thinking she is just any old commoner, he keeps a brisk pace, pretending to look away and around but taking his chances when he can. Not being able to see her face because of the breeze, he does however notice the tail. Instantly he knows who she is and Azule finally comes bounding back into sight. Standing by the lapping water, Oran folds his arms and leans to his right, fully admiring her form dancing in the splashing waves.

"Having fun, are we?" He calls when the wind dies down.

Ana whirls, her stance crouching down defensively and her tail posing behind her like a scorpion's might, ready to strike. She's jumpy after yesterday with Ceverno, but as soon as she realizes and registers who the voice belonged to and the man standing at the water's edge Ana relaxes, chuckling to herself as she really should have known there was no danger by Azule's behavior. The dire wolf would have alerted her in the event of an enemy.

She smiles at Oran, glad to see him awake and on his feet, where he belongs, and starts to make her way out of the surf, lifting her skirt to her thighs as it is sopping wet and hindering her movements just as much as the water does. Her hair whips around her and Ana pulls it away from her face, but it still strings around her neck, persistent in tangling wildly in the salt hair. She approaches Oran on light steps once she is out of the water and pets Azule as he comes to her side, panting and happy.

"After that meeting, I needed some fun!" she retorts with a grin, telling him with expression alone that it had gone well. Ana drops her skirt as she finally stands still before him and uses both her hands to capture her hair, her pale gold-hazel eyes holding his amber, glad to see the flames flickering deep in his gaze again. The Draykoni inside her is glad to see them, too, almost seeming to purr at their presence and Ana tries not to pay it much mind, not sure what to do with it yet.

"How are you feeling?"

Seeing the flutter of color spin around, Oran expects no less from his wife. She would be on her toes after Ceverno and he knows that it will be weeks before she will not be on her toes. It was like that the last time they met that slithering beast. The buoyant part of her is the smile, light and comforting but he knows in a flash she will slice anyones face clean off. Just thinking about it makes the claw marks on his bicep bark in pain. Keeping his wince from his eyes, they only show a lighthearted pleasure to know that the meeting had gone well, the flames happily crackling away.

"I am sure you do need your fun after being stuck in the dome. How was it... underwater like that?" He swallows, knowing that his own heart would be beating faster and faster with every step. Yes, he is sure that the force field will always hold the water out but his mind always focuses on the 'what if' questions. He cannot swim and being deep underground only heightens his anxiety. Taking in a deep breath, he continues after she answers, "I told you that you would be able to do it." Divi's smell is fresh on him, the wind not having time to wash it off. "I just spent the day with Divi. Mainly just talking and resting. She stopped by to see how I was since she knew a fever would result. Last time I too had a fever but we weren't sleeping in the same room so I just hid it as best I could when we were together. I am feeling well though, consuming whatever coated you yesterday."

Grinning, he is quick to add, "And it's a hungry business! I believe I ate half of what the restaurant had to offer just to curb my growling stomach."

"It was....fascinating. I mean, you almost feel like you're in danger constantly, but it was beautiful." Ana answers and then listens to him as he explains his day to her. She is glad to hear that his fever is gone and that the dark magic is gone, but her smile waves just the tiniest bit hearing about his past actions with Divi and she is quick to let herself be distracted by Azule who is pawing her leg for more scratches, leaving marks of his own on her skin with his claws. She bends slightly to rub his stomach as he leans against her leg and she is able to break her gaze from Oran, her hair hiding her expression.

She doesn't know what is wrong with her that this woman - who has far more claim to Oran's heart than she does - can make jealousy stir in the core of her and Ana takes a deep breath, pushing the emotions down. She has to control some anger, too, because she can smell Divi on Oran and the Draykoni in her is snarling at the scent, pacing restlessly. Ana's voice is calm when she speaks, though, having great practice in hiding what she really feels, although she worries a little that Oran knows her too well now to be fooled.

"Well, I hope you might be ready for more or at least tolerate to the smell of food because *I* am starving."

Ana looks up finally and smiles at him and there is dust across her forehead and streaked down one cheek from her adventure in the archives. "I went to the library after the meeting. Research is hard work, too." she teases and then starts to walk, heading back for the inn at the top of the hill.

Nodding his head once, Oran is not sure if he should speak more about Divi or just leave it as he had a great day with her. Ana had come up in their conversation and he feels the right to tell her about it but at the same time, she turns away. She recoils and doesn't want to hear it. Why is she shying away? It's not like they are lovers. Not like him and Divi are. If anything else, Divi should be jealous of Ana but instead, Oran feels anger within Divi. She has not had the chance to sit down and talk with Ana and really get to know the Ana that Oran has come to know and care about as a friend. Protecting Ana is all that is on Oran's mind so he quickly moves the topic away when the subject of food comes up.

His eyes, however will show a silent and comforting gesture to her, the flames quickly flaring up then settling back down. Knowing how she feels, he too had to see Divi when she wasn't his hanging onto the arm of his commander. His own leader. But he soon learned that his commander is her cousin and therefore all the uprooted feelings of jealousy stalked back to their home, ashamed of what he had thought and how he had hated his commander. This was back in the days where he was training as a young boy. Now that he is older, he has to accept the situation for what it is. For some reason, Ana is jealous. Is she starting to mix up his offerings of friendship as passion and love? Oh boy...

Shooting his gaze behind them at the panoramic view of the shore line, Oran can't help but smile. At least they'll be moving away from the water. Just the thought of the icy water sends chills throughout his body and up his spine. "I don't mind at all. Come, tell me what you found in the library as we walk. I'm sure it'll be quite fascinating. I am curious to why you would even go to the library. What research did you do? Did the King say something you didn't know? Something you need to talk about?" He seems concerned but within the next heartbeat knows that Ana had done well. "I'm proud of you. To be able to take the reigns and lead the meeting without me to catch you if you fall."

Ana chuckles and shoots him a look, teasing laughter in her eyes, but warmth too for she enjoys his praise about this in the same way he likes her praising his skill on the sparring ground. Negotiating is not something that necessarily comes easy to Ana....even if she is to be head adviser to her brother when he's king. "I'm not helpless you know. I've been in plenty of council meetings with my father." The Princess wrinkles her nose and confines her hair as they continue toward the inn. "Though, that was always among my own kind. I've never been in a meeting with other species."

She shrugs it off, reading to move the topic, but she's genuinely unsure if the one Oran has chosen is one she wants to pursue. Still, it's reasonable that he's curious and SHE was the one who brought it up so Ana doesn't feel right saying nothing or shying away from speaking of her activities. That would be unfair and rude all at the same time and she's not willing to do it. She's also not willing to just blurt out what she's found, though, either. She'll test the waters first.

"It was personal research, nothing to do with the meeting and it was....very fascinating. And yeah, I need to talk to you about it, but....I'm not really sure how to start..." She admits and then trails off, thinking over what she's learned again as she picks up her shoes where she's left them by the stairs. Ana glances over at Oran then, not yet climbing as she meets his eyes and asks what will seem to be a random question. "What do you think of dragons?"

Despite what Ana may think, Oran is proud of her even if he jokes about her about not being able to take on the King of this planet. Turning back to the inn, he walks beside her briskly, awaiting a time where he doesn't have to smell the ocean so strongly. Remembering is not something he wishes to do right now but living in the present is high on his list. The steps are easily climbed, Oran adoring the way the grainy texture rubs up against his boots. Finding their way back to the inn only consisted of a brisk stroll through a bare area. There are a few blades of grass poking out of the dusted sand picked up by the wind and deposited there.

"No matter who you're with, if you have the skills to negotiate and do public speaking, that you have, you'll accomplish a lot more than anyone else in this world. You have a step up above them. Formulating your options and presenting them in a timely manner that -all- can understand. From a young age, my father would have me make announcements at dinner just to get used to speaking. When I became comfortable, he would send me out into the town and have me preach at podiums about him and his work so that the commoners could understand. At the time, I was not happy one bit but looking back on it, Ana, I can conclude that my father was only trying to help me. See what good it's done?"

Oran knows that his father made him who he is today, forcing him to become a strong military leader. Since Gev wasn't showing the necessary skillset at a young age, Yuvo at least had three sons to train. Riko is hopeless, in his father's eyes, but Oran accepts that little guy for who he really is. A healer is not a bad profession and he is learning quite a lot. It's a shame he couldn't have stayed with them. They all had to go and Oran feels a part of him is missing without Gev's surprise attacks and his father's testing along with his mother's lighthearted teasing.

Hearing her question about dragons, Oran shrugs. "I ought to respect them since they're a fellow fire bearer." Glancing to her, he is careful to add, "You quite remind me of a dragon. Having that tail and scales... all you need are," he links his thumbs together and spreads out his digits and pretends to make his hands fly, "wings!" Smiling, Oran raises a brow, "Is there something you haven't told me, Ana? Do you really possess wings and I just have been out of the loop?" He doesn't seem angry, just curious and accepting to who she is. Ana may not know it, but she has Divi to thank for that. For some strange reason, Oran -should- be angry for he doesn't prefer dragons but as he said before, they do both share the element of his faction. Divi not accepting Ana makes Oran want to get to know her more. In order for Divi to understand her, Oran must know all there is to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.