A Night with Ellisiere

"You're welcome, Miss McCarthy," Felix responded to the lady's 'thank you'. Well that's something I don't seem to hear often enough....

"Of course, of course. I figured that was why," Felix said to Daniel, closing the wallet. I'm pretty sure that's not all there is to it, Mr. Sinclair, but I suppose time will tell. Although...I hope he knows that I didn't mean that romantically, seeing as both of us are straight, as far as I know.... "I'm going to take the prints from the knife I found earlier, then we'll go down and interview everybody." He heard Lynette mention something about Mr. Smith being local and paying a fee for his title. Well this explains a lot, but...how did this man know Ellisiere, of all people?

Felix walked over to the table that he had set the knife on earlier, and grabbed the tape with the glove that somehow didn't have blood on it. He put the tape on the handle of the knife, then, after making sure that the prints got on the tape, he slowly took it off. He did the same to the other side of the handle. Felix carefully set the tape down so it wouldn't curl up and ruin the prints, then turned towards his two companions.

"Well, shall we go downstairs?"

Daniel's nose scrunched up in disgust when he heard what Lynette had to say of Mister Smith. He paid for his title? How disgusting and dishonorable. "What has our land fallen to, Felix, if we are giving titles not for merit and heritage but instead for backroom taxes?"

Giving himself a moment to overcome the disgust he felt, Daniel nodded at Felix's suggestion, "Yes, let's. I would rather not honor this man by being in the presence of his body any longer." With that, he headed on, leading the way back to the dining room.

Lynette Marietta McCarthy
Lynette frowned as she heard Daniel's words. She rose from her chair as he left the room, figuring it best that she tag along. She was probably safest in the presence of these two men than off on her own.

"Well, that is the purpose of the baronet title, sir," she said to him softly. "They do not receive land or jurisdiction of any sort, only an honorary title. It helps the Crown, as money is always needed for the sake of our protection and liberties." She lifted one small hand and delicately brushed back a loose lock of golden hair, gazing nervously towards the two men.

"It is disheartening, yes," Felix said. "It's also a possible motive for killing him. Almost everyone would be at least a little irked that this man didn't earn his title, and I believe that at least one person would be upset enough by his payment for his title to kill him, don't you two agree? In any case, thank you for bringing that up, Miss McCarthy." Felix slowly followed Daniel and Lynette to the stairway, and started heading down the stairs to the dining room.

"Yes, someone would be, though they're quite stupid for doing so in a public place," Daniel commented as he marched down the stairs, "A murder committed at a party not even hosted by the victim? Seems quite as how could you plan for the deed unless you knew the victim would be attending? Plus, why go to such extreme measures, why not just beat him senseless and scare him off? Most men like him are likely to piss themselves at the thought of being attacked, so will cower away and not commit the misdeed a second time."

"I suppose that's true. But if someone here knew every person that knew Ellisiere, then they'd know he was coming to this party. All of us here, with the possible exception of Miss McCarthy, were childhood friends with her, and seeing as most people have learned well enough to stay out of Ellisiere's way in recent times, the group of people that are friends with her would be relatively small. That's probably how they knew they were coming. As far as the methods they used, there has to be a reason behind it. It's very possible that whoever killed Mr. Smith will kill again. With that said, I do hope you're following closely behind, Miss McCarthy. I wouldn't want another dead body on our hands any time soon." By that point, the threesome was near the bottom of the stairs.

"Is it possible the murderer simply wanted to make a declaration of some kind using Smith, to say he or she was coming after the rest of us? If not, I don't see any angle or motive working in the present situation unless our absent hostess has hidden information. Again, why kill a false noble at a dinner party of all places?" Stepping off the last step, Daniel headed into the dining room. Noting how the other guests watched as he entered, he moved to the side and waited for Felix to explain what they had found and discussed. Better the trustworthy one does it as I doubt they'll trust me.

"It's either that or the killer is trying to bring Ellisiere out. He or she could be trying to get her out to have her killed, and make a statement to not just us, but the entire area. Of course, that's just a theory. In either case, the killer is trying to make a statement, to us and Ellisiere." Felix walked into the dining room after Daniel. Seeing as Daniel stood aside, Felix took the chance to get everyone's attention.

"Ahem! May I please have everyone's undivided attention?" Felix asked. The room went silent, save for a few whispers. "As you all know, Mr. Sinclair and I went to investigate the late Mr. Smith's body, and the crime scene." Felix went on to describe the crime scene, in enough detail that the guests could picture it, but not so much that Miss McCarthy would have a reason to throw up. He talked about the evidence that they had found, but left out the fact that he dropped Mr. Smith's wallet in his blood.

"In any case, we already have a few theories, and we, me and Daniel, that is, would like to interview all of the guests, and will request that you all stay in the dining room until further notice." Felix sighed. Despite giving long explanations like that often due to his job, it was still hard to talk for so long. He looked up, waiting for a response.