A Nationesq RP

What would you rather play in the Story?

• A premade god and corresponding race

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only a god

• Only a race (nation)

• A single character in one of the nations of the other players

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how we have people that are intressted in doing this :3
also im still thinking about making that batman god and his bat race xD
thou then again i have already created a god, and i will most likely be to lazy to govern over two diffrent factions.

@Reno Lam
Yes, though if you decide that your god has created a lush haven in the frozen north I wont stop you.

@Drougar
How would the crime rate look in that race?
Preferably I would of course like every land on the map to be governed by a separate player, but else I think I might have those that want to play more than one race... (with the rule that you dont ally your races.)

Oh, and I think it is a good idea to talk among yourself and the other players about your gods and races background/relations, it simply gets that much more fun when you can scheme from before the start.

Last edited:
More than one race you say? Well, I lack more races with gods...
Which means its time to ask how far the rules can be stretched! :D

Can a mortal ascend into godhood with enough worship?

Can a massing of the spirits of the dead make a plane for themselves and act as a race's deity?

Questions, lovely.
Well @Dedtoo a mortal ascending into godhood isnt unusual as such, some gods decide on a mortal successor and have them ascend (a version of becoming a god over an already existing race, regarding your gods age).
But if you want a mortal to ascend through his own power... possibly... But remember that gods come in many shapes and sizes.

Dont mess with the dead. Dont mix the dead and the living. Dont tread upon planes you should never reach.
And now that I have said the standard warnings...
The plane of the dead is a place filled with those that have died in this world, some may retain their reason, but above all it is a place of tranquil nothingness. The dead dont want, they dont need, they dont seek, they are.
But theoretically, they could make a realm of their own, just as some gods have a realm of their own, sure. A bunch of mortal magicians could make a realm of their own, though it wouldnt be big. A plane is something entirely different from a realm, as a plane is a different frequency of the world, while a realm is either an enclosed and unconnected space, or simply an area where your influence is greatly enhanced.
And more or less anything could act as a race's deity, the question is who gains anything from it.

So if a god decided he'd gotten too old for this shit, she could just give a mortal her powers, then just stop existing? And that mortal could pass it on again once she's too old, making a chain of sucessors?

Wouldn't it make sense that if the dead made a new place for themselves, something on a different frequenzy would make sense, no?
And the dead could want to help their ancestors wouldnt they? :p

Not just stop existing, in essence the god would let herself die. But yes, the idea of succession is widely used by some deities. Living through thousands of years watching your people grow up and die away is tiring.

The original problem is still why the dead would want to do so. And once they are in the plane of the dead they dont particularly care for anything.
It is a different matter if the god of the race governs over them when they die as well, if the race have their own realm of the dead and they retain their sense of self as they die.

i would say that there is no real place for the dead, unless someone made that place. Gods themself are not really bound by the mortal concept, so them dying just means not existing anymore, the gods themself are their own power. So giving away that power would be basicly either possesing the new entity, or just stop existing at all. Now because it is a possesion, that would mean something along the line of either compleat takeover, but since that is seems not to be what the gods want it could just be, making the new entity a new god with the old one existing inside it <.<

sorta like Avatar :P

unless you mess with the entire concept, and make a place for dead gods, but those gods would even then be without powers. They could then maybe give words of wisdom, or a massage depending on the situation.

Alright, one race cleared!

As for the other: that race was created by a god who shortly after being done, dissappeared. Either he was killed, he just didnt care for them, or just went into hiding, to see what they'd do.

So the Orcs were left with no god, in a world where not having one is a big disadvantage. So one of them got an idea; to make a deity not for, but of Orcs. He and a bunch of his disiples killed themselves at once, to create a force to help their brethren.

Skip forwards some time, more Orcs died and joined them increasing their powers. And bingo bango, Orcs are no longer at a disadvantage!

...or is that not possible?

mm i like it!
It would kinda be like necromancy, taking the lifeforce of the newly dead to make a god, sure at first it would be weak, but with time as more would be consumed at their death moment, it could possebly fule an ever growing god. Thou this would be slow, reallly slow.
Then again this entity would it maybe be a hive mind of sort? Or is it without a mind, sorta being directed where now they wanted it?

Do we have a list of who already claiming which part of the map?

Oh, and I think it is a good idea to talk among yourself and the other players about your gods and races background/relations, it simply gets that much more fun when you can scheme from before the start.
Somehow I suddenly think the most common reason/theory about why the gods are at war is that since every god designed their own land and people in separate corners of the same world, they feel like their work has been ruined and thus have to engage in pointless war as an attempt to fix it. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
@Drougar
As you say, when someone dies in this world (unless someone meddles) they go to the plane of the dead, and just roam there.
And regarding the gods, there are some ways for them to go as you say:
Either their power flows out into their surroundings, they possess someone (though in this case they dont really die), they grant someone their power by becoming part of them, or by giving away their power and letting their remains go to the plane of the dead. And as you say, they would be as any mortal soul there.

@Dedtoo
Well, as @Drougar says, the problem lies in what this lump of power is guided by, as it is simply a collection of part of the dead orcs power, their souls having departed. How do the orcs control this "god", and how does it interact with them and the world? If they somehow managed to bind their souls on the mortal plane, is it a collection of different minds struggling for control, or is it a single mind that stayed to become a god?

@Reno Lam
Everything different is wrong. It may certainly be the reason for some to go to war, and if they earlier have retained peace it might only take a spark to ignite it.

Okay, control of the spirits...

They all retain a bit of their sentience, each Orc having his own opinion on a situation. Some of the older spirits stop caring much, just going with whatever themvaround them say.
Those who were respected during life tend to have a bit more sway among the others.
The First Spirit, the one who started it, has a lot of sway with all the spirits, essentially being sort of a leader, yet due to his age he doesn't do anything anymore, unless it's about the fate of all Orcs.

One spirit can do almost nothing. With them all, they are as mighty as the mightiest god, if not more!

Mm @Dedtoo thou i said that it could become a god without limits, the power provided by one soul, does not really add much power to the pot so to speak.
Because the power the soul gives depends on the power he held in his life, so the older the dead, the less power(unless he grows in strengh with age). Maybe throw in a powerfull mage here and there, just to give it some extra juice, but still would take a huge amount of dead orcs to feed it to that level of power.

@Windstormugly you missed my point of the god being its own power, and so by giving away that power, they would technicly be dead. Now when i say dead i mean erased, because they are already on the level of the dead, since the dead are just the remaining energy of the once living. A god is that to being with, maybe unless it was a mortal creature first <.< but even then they would by that logic be erased.

@Dedtoo
Yeah, seems good. Those first orcs seems to have been quite the good magic-users with a profound understanding of the world... or they were just lucky ?
Though "mighty as the mightiest god" may only be the orcs view of the situation. Even if they sacrificed a soul every year for millenia, they would have a hard time getting as much power as the other gods.

@Drougar
While a god isnt as mortal, they arent just a lump of power either, a god is simply an entity with a conciousness and a power of a different magnitude. Perceiving the world differently. Living in it differently.
When a god dies willingly, as you say they could choose to dissappear completely, but they could also decide to join the dead, maybe different from most of them, but nonetheless one.
There is also the occurence when one seemingly kills a god, only to watch them return eons later.

A lot of magic, a bit of luck and almost a thousand Orcs for the first ritual!
The First himself was belived to be the most powerful mage any Orc had seen at the time, so he had a little understanding of how the world worked :p

And the spirits are just like all Orcs! Stronger, braver and more couragous than anyone else!!
Or so they say ;)

So yeah. I have three races then, if thete is room/need!

Everything different is wrong. It may certainly be the reason for some to go to war, and if they earlier have retained peace it might only take a spark to ignite it.
Well, we all know the feeling when we are worldbuilding! :D

Also my idea is starting to come together. Currently my idea is to create a race who is quite similar to bees in terms of social hierarchy, namely that there are major physical (and mental and magical as well, I imagine) between different castes of the society that they might as well be separate species on first glance. However, to please my senses, the higher echelons will probably look like drow dominatrixes and the grunts something like orcs or so. In a way, the society resembles Classical Greece, with various city-states banded together under the banner of the god. Knowledge and wealth flourishes for the ruling echelons, while the grunts are essentially slaves bred to sustain the society. To reflect on that, I think I will probably claim something at the middle of the map, probably either the yellow or the paste-green one, although everything on that continent seems decent enough a choice.

well @Windstormugly since gods are not mortals, they are not the same as a normal being right? And so they are imortal because of their own power, following that logic with out their power they can not live, sure they can be drained of power and reduced to a lesser form. But they will still regenerate that power over time, now if they give up all their power, they would have no imortality, also no energy to create a spirit of sort. And so, if a god loses all of its energy it would be erased, the same would apply to mortals in a way, sorta.

Also i have four races :3 and also a god that is way to overpowerd for this RP, but i have limited him in ways that he is more underpowerd than most, just to keep everyone happy :)

@Dedtoo
We shall see how many people gather round, and then its bargain time.

@Reno Lam
Well I couldnt have managed without a greece race now could I. When you have an even more complete picture in your head, ask away for the lands.

@Drougar
And you know how I think about these matters and concepts. But I cant really say you are going against the rules of this world, merely focusing on a particular part of it. Just remember that a god may choose to become mortal, and by that logic he would then be able to die. So dying as a god is not that big of a difference (though of course it is but nevermind). And dont spoil to much information about erasing people now.

I wouldnt say your god is owerpowered, simply old, and maybe a bit too tired/lazy.

@Reno Lam : So, this could be interesting or awkward, as the race with the succsessive god is gonna be a classist, female dominated spider people.
So, are yours actually bee-like, or do they just have that structure?

Either way, I think they could become good neighbours. :)

@Reno Lam : So, this could be interesting or awkward, as the race with the successive god is gonna be a classist, female dominated spider people.
So, are yours actually bee-like, or do they just have that structure?

Either way, I think they could become good neighbours. :)
I think they just have a similar phenotypic caste system like the bees, where your social status affects your physiology and nature greatly. I think such is not unique to bee, but it is the most common example that comes into my mind. My people will probably look like elves and orcs respectively, as a reference to the first fantasy elves and orcs from JRR Tolkien (orcs originated from corrupted elves). Instead of the food, my people is probably morphed by a combination of selective breeding, nutrition (so food again), magic enchantment and maybe some nurture-based factors like education and so, so that by the time they mature, they will look quite different from each other (but still possible to interbreed?).

Status
Not open for further replies.