A different kind

When Samantha heard him laugh she couldn't help but sight. Was there any mature guys in the school? She took a bite of her sandwich and waited a little before answering him. "Music, most of my subjects are music, drama and dancing but I also have psychology." She told him. Psychology was something she had chosen herself, her parents had made her go into music. But if she had gotten to chose she wouldn't have been going in a music class and just kept study normal courses. Samantha would rather have studied music outside of the school and just had done it for fun, instead her parents had expected her to become a big artist either in some instrument or dancing.

"By the way, you will have to chose a foreign language to study, all students must have math, English and at least one language. The biggest classes are Spanish, France and German. Japanese are also a pretty popular course. Then there is Chinese, Korean, Swedish and Finnish. Those are a bit smaller classes." She explained. "You will probably get a paper about it together with the schedule later."

She took another bite on her sandwich as she got silent.

Matt finished his food, wrinkling his nose a bit at having to learn a foreign language. That had always been hard for him, and he wasn't keen on showing off his inabilities to others. For that reason, he would probably choose one of the smaller classes, simply for less embarrassment. "I suppose you've got classes this afternoon?"

He pushed his chair back and stood up. He couldn't wait to be on his own for a little while. "Is there anything else you need from me?" he asked. "Or am I free to go do my own thing?"

He wanted his timetable. With that, he could figure out when he could sign up for the piano. And he could figure out times when he could go work.

He glanced over at the kid who seemed to be a bit of a prankster and saw that he was being watched. He gave another friendly smile and glanced back at Samantha.

"Yeah, I have classes." She told him. Only music classes. She already felt the headache coming up. Even if she liked music it wasn't funny when she couldn't do whatever she wanted with it and just had to listen to what others told her to do. "I have already showed you around and told you about everything so you are free to do whatever you want." She said a bit absent minded.

A vision had almost started so she had to concentrate on keeping it away. Just a year earlier when she tried to keep them away she always looked like she had a headache but now she had been able to train it away so it only looked like she were in her own thoughts. But it was painful to try and keep the visions away, but at the same time it was painful if she saw a vision and someone was talking to her and she didn't even know what they had said. Or if she suddenly passed out while seeing a vision, that had happened a couple of times.

She finished her food. "I think your schedule will be printed out shortly after the last lesson has ended around four. It's probably your homeroom teachers duty to give it to you so he will probably send a student from your class to your room to give it to you." She told him.

"Ooright," Matt said, impatient to get his own plans moving forward. "Bye. See you later," he called, darting out of the dining hall and back to his room. He unpacked his few belongings quickly, and then explored the halls of his dormitory, waiting for four o'clock to approach. He followed the deep pulsing sound, he'd heard the first time he came into the building and found it lead to an old elevator shaft at the very end of the hallway. It didn't seem like many people used it much, probably because it was so out of the way. And maybe because Matt was sure it was haunted. He pressed the button to the elevator and stepped inside, deciding to go up first. He rode the elevator up and the sound became more distant so he pushed the down button and rode the elevator all the way down to the basement. It was a dark place, but the deep vibration he'd heard earlier was loudest down here.

"Hi," he called out to the empty room. "I'm Matt. Just wanna say hi, cos I know you're here. If you ever wanna visit, I'm in woom 201. Okay. Bye," he said, stepping back into the elevator.

By the time he made his way back up to his room it was nearly four. He flopped on his bed, not having bothered putting sheets on the mattress yet. He hadn't lay there very long before there was a knock on his door. When he opened it, it was the boy from the lunch room. "Ay," he greeted the boy.

"Ay," the other boy greeted back. "You must be Matt, the new kid. You're in my homeroom class. They asked for a volunteer to bring you your timetable, and I saw you in the dining hall so I volunteered."

"And you are?" Matt asked.

"Tom," the boy said, a slight smirk on his face. "Don't let the uptights get you."

Matt blinked and eyed Tom up and down. "I need to go into town to get a job. What's the best way to go?"

"Oh!" Tom said excitedly. "Come work with me! I work for a company, we paint houses and shit."

Matt hesitated. "Oorright... I can do that..."

"I'll take you there, follow me!" Tom said, heading out the door. Matt followed behind.

Samantha waved him goodbye before she rose from her seat and walked towards her own room to get ready for her next lesson. At first she had thought he would be better than all the others in school but he seemed to be just like everyone else. Immature and laughing at other peoples misery. Maybe she couldn't do that because she could see people die and get hurt on a daily basis and even feel their pain. It would be hard for anyone to laugh if they knew exactly how a person felt when people were laughing at them when they falls down. Maybe a total dickhead would be able to laugh anyways.

She walked into her room and took her books, Anya weren't in the room so she had either already gotten her books or were going to get them in the last minute before the lesson started. Samantha walked to the classroom and waited for the lesson to start. It was still some time left so she started to sketch a bit. She wasn't a very good painter but she could do a bit at least. Portraits were her specialty, humans was easy to draw but she had a hard time drawing backgrounds.

Soon the lesson started and she tried to hold herself awake until four o clock. Just before the last lesson was finished the teacher wondered if there were any volunteers to go and give the new student Matt his schedule.
So we will have some classes together. She thought to herself. She didn't volunteer though, another guy in her class volunteered. She didn't really check who it was because she wanted to get into town as fast as possible.

After she had left her books in her room she started to walk towards the main hall. She had a private lesson in violin during the evening so she wouldn't have much time, but she needed to get new strings to her guitar and she didn't want to wait until the weekend to get them. She didn't feel that comfortable with playing on the schools guitars, she felt more familiar with her own.

As she got to the door she noticed Matt and a guy from her class coming towards the door, she wasn't certain but she thought his name was Tom. It wasn't a person she had really talked to. "Hey Matt, are you going into town?" Since they headed for the door she guessed that they were on their way out, and Matt had been talking about getting a job so maybe he were going to search after one immediately.

"Yeah, we're going into town. You wanna come? Sam? Can I call you that?" Matt asked. Tom groaned a little next to him and he glanced over. "I wanna twy and get a job. And maybe we can stop at the music shop?" Matt asked Tom. He didn't know his way around, so he was depending on Tom a bit. But he wanted to go pick out a guitar. If he had one picked out, it would be easier to know what he was working towards.

Matt turned to Tom completely then. "Are you a music guy too?"

Tom only laughed. "No no. I can't do music to save my life. But I'd like to be involved in it. I'm interested in film. Editing and stuff. So that's why I'm here. But I'm in the minority."

Tom lead the way out the main door of the dormitory. "What's your time table like. Maybe we've got some of the same courses?"

Matt hadn't even looked yet at his timetable. He unfolded it and glanced over it. It was a pretty standard block schedule. He whined a bit through his nose. "Why's there so much Maths on here?" he hated Maths. And he wasn't good at it. Which was likely the reason he had a lot of it. Grammar. A very short science course. Only one basic music class. "Why do I only have one music class? Wasn't that why I got in?" Matt turned to Samantha at this point, hoping she might have some answers for him. He wondered if she was the class president or something.

He had evenings off though so he'd be able to use that to play piano and work. So at least that worked out in his favour.