A Daemon and His Work

"Okay." Samael says, following her back to her house, making sure to be silent once again. Several occasions he wanted to offer to carry the bags, but he felt she might take offense, or refuse. So he didn't bother. He did, however, make sure he helped put away the groceries even if he didn't know where anything went.

At the park, he marveled at how the sun could move across the sky like it did, and changed the color of the world just by changing position. It was a wonderful sight for him to see, and he expressed it profusely. Finally, he said, "It's lovely here."

Yuuki nodded a little as Samael agreed, walking to the house with the bags in her hands. The walk itself didn't bother her, but once they were in the kitchen putting things away, the lack of movement really drove home that she was in pain. She ignored it, hid it, merely pointing out places for him to put whatever he picked up as she took care of the rest. Once they were done, she stored the empty bags in a cupboard and gestured for him to follow her outside again. She paused on the porch, one hand resting against a post next to the stairs as the other pressed to her side. The pain faded and she moved down the stairs, relaxing as they walked and she was able to ignore it again.

"Yes, I suppose it is. It kind of loses some of the beauty when you walk past it everyday. I've always liked walking here, though. It's almost always deserted. A good place to think and hide from the rest of the world," she said quietly as they walked down the park path, her eyes on the sky as the sun set the clouds ablaze in an explosion of pinks and oranges, tinged with light lavender as the sun began to set. Soon it'd be dark and cold, but the night also brought the stars and moon, which she had always had a soft spot for more than the sun. "Is your only desire to be free of your persuers, Samael?" she asked randomly, then realized that she was prying. "You don't have to answer that," she added quickly.

He thought about it for several seconds, taking so long it was as if he had forgotten the question. His eyes softened. Finally, with all seriousness, Samael said, "That certainly is one of my priorities, but..." He stopped, pretending he had a speck of dust in his eyes, and wiped away a tear that threatened to fall down his face. "But, I want to know who my mother was. Who she was to have loved a man such as my father, to break nearly every law, and conceive a child. Who she was to have come from a race such as the vampires. However, I certainly wouldn't mind to have a life less frightening." He closed his eyes, feeling the sun's warm light on his cheeks, smiling a little.

"So, you want to find out who your mother was, get a calmer life, and be free," Yuuki said, then turned and smiled at him even though he had his eyes closed. "It sounds like the start of a wonderful list. It's good to know what you want. Is your mother still alive? I'd love to help you find her, if she is. If not, I'm sure if we ask the right sorts of people, we could find out who she was," she added, nodding a bit to herself as she slid her hands in her sweater pockets and continued to walk. The sun had vanished, leaving a light spot on the edge of the sky while darkness began taking over the rest.

"I just want to help you," she added quietly, stopping her steps for a moment to look over at him. The lights were starting to come on to spread their dim golden light over the path they were on, but she wasn't too worried yet. Her mother likely wasn't awake, and she never felt like eating so rushing home to cook dinner wasn't really a priority.

"I am bound by my Contract to help you." Samael said, quoting almost exactly what the Infinite Cross said. "I do not know if she is alive or not. My father never told me. The vampires would taunt me with lies about her. At least," He sighed, opening his eyes, "I think they were lies."

Hearing footsteps rushing behind him, Samael quickly turns around, just in time to see a flash of black before a figure tackled him to the ground. Shouting, "Run!" to Yuuki, he struggles under the vampire's weight.

The vampire gets off of him, making high pitched giggles of joy at finding her prey. Jumping to his feet before she can attack again, Samael realizes that she is human. Not. A. Vampire. "Zero-kun, you're looking handsome as ever." She says between laughs. What he didn't know was she was referring to his hair and eyes, matching them with a character from a Japanese cartoon.

"I do not know of this Zerokun you speak of." Samael said, "I am S-"

"Oh, you're Soldier Blue!" She said, another bout of laughs coming from her.

"No, I am not. Please, go away." He said.

Yuuki considered what Samael said, then turned in alarm when he was tackled to the ground. Her first instinct when he yelled at her to run was to obey, but she only got about two steps before she looked back to make sure he was going to be alright. She tilted her head at the sound of giggles and eyed the girl, then blinked as she heard what the girl was saying. It took a moment, but she soon understood and started laughing. She had to hold her side to keep it from hurting too badly as she giggled, but she just couldn't help it. He was obviously confused, but the poor female was nothing but a fangirl who probably thought that Samael had dyed his hair for a costume or something.

"Oh my goodness.. She's right.. You look just like Zero," she laughed, then shook her head and nudged the girl away. "He's just shy. We're late for getting home, goodbye!" she said with a smile, hoping the girl would get the hint and leave. She offered Samael a hand up, holding back the urge to laugh again since now she couldn't help but see Zero every time she looked at him.

"Not you, too!" He shouted in exasperation, a laugh following his statement. Taking her hand and getting up, Samael smiled, "Humans sure are strange creatures," He said when they were out of earshot. "Does this happen often, the jumping and attacking of someone who looks like someone else by the name of Zero or Zerokun or however you pronounce it?" He scoffed. "Then I should probably change my hair color before it happens again." He muttered, still smiling a little. He runs a hand through his hair, a nervous habit he picked up.

Laughing, Yuuki just shook her head as Samael got up and proclaimed that humans were strange. He was right, probably, but she was still amused by what had just happened. That girl would probably be squealing all the way home now, and tell all of her friends that she found the real-life Zero walking in the park. She giggled a bit to herself, recalling last Halloween when she had gone to a party as Yuki Cross. How odd that now she had found a Zero.

"I wouldn't say it happens often, but when you find the right fangirl.." she replied, then grinned. "Let's just stay away from the anime conventions and things like that unless you go in disguise. You'd probably be tackled hundreds of times at one of those. I wouldn't be upset if I were you, though. Zero is really cute," she explained, then smiled and shrugged as they continued to walk, going around the loop and starting back toward the house as the stars began twinkling up above them.

Samael smiled. "You'll have to show me him sometime then, I guess. And explain to me what an anime convention is." He chuckled, looking up at the moon.

"There's so much I haven't learned yet about humans. That incident back there is proof of it." He paused, sneezing. "Such a peculiar sensation that was, like my mind was going to shoot out of my nose and my eyes would pop out of my head and I would swallow my tongue." He said, shaking his head a little. He grinned, laughing a little.

"An anime convention is.. um.. Well, maybe we'll just have to go to one and I can show you. You've already got the perfect costume anyway. Plus it'd give you an opportunity to learn more about us bizarre humans," Yuuki replied, laughing a bit as she thought of how many girls would squeal at the perfect Zero. She blinked as he sneezed and was about to bless him, but then he spoke of it and she couldn't help but laugh again.

"I haven't laughed this much in a long time.. That's a pretty accurate description of a sneeze, Samael. I promise it won't kill you though," she replied, smiling as he laughed. It felt so nice to be so carefree for once.

Samael laughed with her. "I never laughed before I met you. You make me feel like I can be who I am without fear of prosecution." He says, suddenly serious. "I'd love to go to an anime convention with you." Again he runs his hand through his hair, a smile tugging at his lips. He gazed at the moon again, who he had grown to enjoy the presence of during his days with the vampires. "You're so much more nicer than the people I knew. You seem to smile at the littlest of things, as if every thing on this earth is a miracle. Which, I suppose, is true."

Yuuki smiled and nodded, knowing that she accepted him fully. It felt nice that he appreciated it, though she hadn't really thought of that. She simply didn't question whether people deserved a chance until they proved otherwise. For some reason, his comment about going to a convention with her made her blush a little bit. She honestly had no idea why, so she brushed aside the thought and focused on what he was saying next instead. That turned out to be not quite helpful, since he was complimenting her and she blushed all over again.

"The people you knew were cruel. Most people are nice, or at least mostly nice if you give them half a chance. I know that you're nice," she replied with a smile, then paused and glanced behind them. It was strange, but she could have sworn that she heard somebody. She suspected the girl from earlier, but there was nobody to be seen. "Odd.." she murmured, shrugging and continuing onward.

The sensation that they were being watched filled Samael. He quickly glanced both ways, slowing his walk just slightly. He knew better than to write it off as nothing, and stepped closer to Yuuki. He clenches his fists, ready to go into action if needed. "Someone's following us." He whispered lowly. "I don't know who, but it certainly isn't that girl. As soon as I say so, I need you to make for your home. Forget about me. I will be fine. I promise you that." He narrowed his eyes, hearing a small noise behind him. "If they weren't following us, they wouldn't be so careful."

"But.." Yuuki protested slightly, hearing the faint step of somebody behind them. She was tensed now, reacting mostly to how Samael was acting, plus a bit of her own nervousness. "I don't want to leave you behind.. Pinky promise you'll be one hundred percent okay? No injuries or anything?" she asked, completely serious as she looked up at him. She saw something move out of the corner of her eye and knew Samael was probably going to order her to run for it, so she quickly held out her pinky to him, refusing to budge until he took it.

He looked at her hand for a few precious seconds, trying to figure out what she meant. Finally, it clicked, and he wrapped his pinkie finger around hers, saying, "I promise, no harm will come to me." He nods, then seeing the movement, he says, more forcefully, "Go! If they're vampires then there's bound to be more of them. I will meet you at your home." He turns her around, giving her a light push to get her along. Then, him turning around, he faces the attacker, but finds no one.

"Get out here." He calls to the darkness, waiting for Lysander or Jun or Janie to jump out and attack. They were the strongest vampires he had met, but Samael had little doubt in his mind he could take one of them on. Two or three would be a problem. Slowly, he takes a dagger from his bag, his feet spread shoulder-width apart.

Relaxing a bit as he humored her likely silly seeming request, Yuuki nodded and ran as he pushed her. She heard him speaking behind her but knew better than to stop and turn to see if anybody was coming out of the shadows to face him. The faint sound of a snarl and a laugh caught her ears and she figured that some old 'friends' of his were probably there. She ran down the path, through all of the twists and turns that she had long ago memorized. Taking a quick path that was a shortcut back to the street, she passed through a dark spot with no light that was shadowed by the trees. Normally she wouldn't think anything of it, but it seemed suspicious looking now.

"Relax, just relax, nobody is here for you," she told herself over and over, moving hesitantly through the shadows. Nothing happened and she breathed a sigh of relief, emerging on the other side without a scratch. She laughed at her own silliness and was about to start running again when somebody grabbed her from behind. A startled shriek slipped out before a hand clasped over her lips, and when she looked up, she could dimly make out that the person had fangs.

Seeming to come from the shadows, all three men stepped into the street light. Lysander, with his sharp features and angel blonde hair, Jun with his almond-shaped eyes and dark hair, and Janie, his round face that suggested happiness but in reality was a cruel and calculating sadist. Jun, the animal of the group, made a low growling noise in his throat, his lips curled back in a snarl. Lysander, the oldest, strode forwards, chuckling lightly.

"Little Halfling found himself a knife, did he?" He said, taunting Samael.

"And a name. I am no longer Halfling, or even Boy. I am Samael and I plan to defend my name and my master, no matter what." He said, gripping the dagger with both hands. Lysander walked right next to the boy, and for whatever reason, Samael found he couldn't move, through fear or some supernatural power of Lysander's. Lysander ran a sharp fingernail along Samael's jawline as he came past, and Samael flinched at the touch. Finally, he found he could move again. Spinning around, Samale slashed at Lysander, gasping when he found Lysander gone.

Lysander reappeared directly behind Samael, wrapping his arm around the younger one in a chokehold. "My, my, you're reflexes seemed to have gotten slower in the week we haven't seen eachother, right, Zero-kun?" Samael took in a sharp breath. Even Lysander shouldn't know about that. One of them must've been that girl, or she was around somewhere.

"Jun," Lysander called, "go long and get this one's girlie." Then, whispering in Samael's ear, he said, "You will come without a fight, or Jun will have his way with your pretty 'master.'" Immediately, Samael dropped the dagger, the metal clattering against the sidewalk.

Yuuki attempted to squirm from her captor but a viscious snarl and a tighter hold stopped her in her tracks. She was being pulled along backwards, forced to walk awkwardly to avoid falling down or being dragged. The hand still clasped over her mouth prevented any yelling, but she realized that it didn't matter. What was she going to yell? Help, I've been caught by a vampire? She'd probably be arrested and sent off to the loony bin. The sound of metal hitting pavement made her twist slightly, and the man tugging her along stopped long enough to turn her to face the trio that was waiting for them.

"Mmphn!" she tried to yell, muffled against the hand. She had squirmed so hard that her stitches had opened slightly without her realizing it, and a tiny trickle of blood ran down her side. It tickled, which made her squirm a little more, wanting to scratch at it but unable since her arms were being held behind her back. She had no idea what was going on other than obviously these three didn't get along with Samael. Going off assumptions, these were at least some of the ones he had wanted to be free of. Didn't he say that they had to leave him alone now that he had her?

A thought came to Samael's mind. "I am bound by a Contract. You can't do anything to me." He said, defiantly, even though inside he was terrified.

"Well, then. I guess all we have to do is kill her, don't we?" Chuckled Lysander, tightening his grip on Samael slightly, to let him know who was in charge. "Jun," Lysander says, straightening himself, "go on ahead." The Chinese vampire brushed aside Yuuki's hair, letting go of her mouth, but it was too late for that to give her any sort of advantage. Samael was shaking in Lysander's hands, through anger and fear. This wasn't how it was supposed to go. He was supposed to be safe!

Jun sunk his fangs into Yuuki, and Samael was powerless to do anything. She quickly grew pale, and when she was unconscious, Lysander let the boy go, who sank to his knees. Sudden rage flooded through him, and he scooped up the knife, slashing at Lysander's throat, and moving faster than any of the vampires could. He dashed to Janie, doing the same, and he moved to Jun, who had let Yuuki go when Samael attacked. His eyes glowed a pure angelic white, his lips pulled over his teeth, fangs exposed.

He threw his hands on Jun's shoulders, making him backpedal until he was against a tree. "I should kill you right now." Samael snarled, "It would certainly save me trouble later. But, I need you. You will go back to the headquarters, and you will tell 'Lord Timothy' what happened. You'll tell him that anyone else that tries to kill this girl will die!" He shouted the last words, throwing Jun away from him in disgust.

Jun ran away, leaving the other two to lie there unconscious from blood loss. Moving to Yuuki, the white light gone from his eyes, Samael tore his jacket's sleeve, wrapping it around her neck tightly, but loose enough so that she could breath. He picked her up, carrying her back to her house, nothing out of the usual happening.

Freezing in a flash of fear as one vampire laughed and casually mentioned killing her, Yuuki realized that she was probably not going to make it through the night. She shook her head desperately and yelped as the one holding her bit her, but it didn't do any good. Pain flooded her and she squirmed a little, but he was draining her so quickly that she soon weakened. She paled and tried to remain standing, but it was impossible. In a daze, she slumped back against the vampire, soon giving in to the black calm of unconsciousness. She didn't even flinch when she was dropped to the grass.

When she came to, she was in Samael's arms and they were just going up her porch stairs. She felt really out of it, and her neck hurt like crazy. For a few moments she tried to remember what had happened, but then it all came rushing back. How had they survived? She wasn't sure. All she knew was that she was thankful that they were both here.

"A-Are you okay?" she stuttered tiredly, nearly passing out again just from speaking. She touched her neck tentatively, looking at her fingertips and blinking as she realized they were tinged with blood. "Are they still going to follow us?" she added, looking up at him.