A Daemon and His Work

"Probably not very good. I had to babysit a lot before my mom got sick because our neighbor had a bunch of kids. One time I tried the baby food just to see - it was jarred squash. Nastiest thing I've ever tried," she said, laughing. She smiled as Nikolai sucked down the spoonful of carrots, obviously enjoying getting something in his empty belly. When she looked up, she saw Press watching them and looking amused. She smiled at him and tilted her head to invite him to come over, then looked back down at Nikolai who was dribbling carrots and cooing with delight.

Samael laughed at her comment about trying baby food before getting another spoonful. While he was occupied with that, Press noticed Yuuki's gesture, and came over, not wanting to seem anti-social at the moment. Samael, however, was watching him, wondering why the sudden change in feelings, but he didn't break the motions of feeding Nikolai. Press sat down at the other couch, simply watching as Samael fed the baby. While it was bringing up memories he had long since ignored, it made him feel better just by seeing the looks on the two's faces.

Yuuki smiled at Press as he joined them, relieved that his issues earlier seemed to have worked themselves out. It was good that he was spending time around them, she figured. She looked back up at Samael and laughed as Nikolai squirted half of the spoonful of carrots out of his lips in the form of bright orange drool. The baby seemed amused by this and started to laugh, his arms flailing around as he tried to play.

"I don't think we're going to get any more carrots in him unless we mix it with something sweeter. Any chance we have jarred fruits? Those are usually a success with little ones," she suggested, ruffling Nikolai's hair absently with a smile.

Samael stood up as Nikolai got the carrots all over himself, going into the kitchen to get a napkin and look for something sweet. Finding a washcloth, he rummaged in the cupboards, trying to find where Press put the food. When he did, underneath a counter, he chose a jar with apples on it. Taking it to the front room, he shut the jar of carrots, deciding that they would finish the carrots later. Wiping off the baby's face with the washcloth, he began feeding him the apple-flavored baby food, which he seemed to like better.

Yuuki watched Samael get up and go back to the kitchen, then looked over at Press and smiled. He seemed in a better mood now, and she figured seeing Nikolai all covered in orange goop would probably make him laugh. She squealed as the child started trying to eat her fingers, covering her hand and arm in pureed carrots. By the time Samael came back, she was laughing and holding Nikolai in a way that he couldn't try to eat her. Thankfully he had gotten a washcloth, so he was soon cleaned and happily eating the apples.

"Oh thank goodness. I'm going to have to go wash up when this is done," she said, giggling.

He smiled warmly as he fed the pureed apples to Nikolai, "You can go now, if you want. I don't mind, and I don't think he," he nodded to the baby, "will either. We're capable, isn't that right, Press?" After that, he gave her an unconvincing smile, though he really was joking. However, Press gave her the exact same smile, something that probably wouldn't reassure anyone. Feeding another spoonful of food to Nikolai, he tilted his head towards the hallway, where the bathroom was. "It'll only be for a few minutes."

"Well.." Yuuki began hesitantly, not really sure. For some reason, she felt that leaving Samael and Press alone together wasn't a good idea at the moment. Perhaps it was the offhand comment that Samael made earlier, or maybe it was something else. She just felt.. odd about it. Pushing away the feeling, she smiled and nodded. "Alright. But there better not be food dripping off the ceiling when I come back," she teased, standing and setting Nikolai up against some couch pillows in case he toppled over while being fed.

She went into the bathroom and closed the door behind her, humming to herself absently as she started to wash up and get the mess off of her. Babies were so sticky!

As soon as she was gone, Samael looked to Press angrily. "I swear to God, you better make this the best damned night of her life, especially for pulling something like that!" he gestured to the kitchen as he fed another spoonful of the puree to Nikolai. Press simply shrugged before speaking.

"I can try, but really, what was I to think? You said get something special! Where I come from, special means fancy or out of the ordinary. So there! There's no way I am going all the way back through the tunnel again, just to make you happy, okay?" Sighing, Samael nodded, some of his anger leaving him.

Yuuki scrubbed herself thoroughly, taking an extra minute or two to wash up her face as well while she was there. She looked at her reflection thoughtfully, tilting her head. So much had changed. In the mirror, she could see the black edges of her wings. Who was she now? She frowned at the thought and looked down at the pendant around her neck. So beautiful, so.. deadly. Was this what she had become? Her damp fingers traced over the barbed metal and she smiled a bit to herself. She had decided something - no matter what, she wasn't going back to those men. When Samael brought her, she'd just kill them all and come back here with him.

"So, is Nikolai done eating yet or what?" she asked as she came back out, wiping her hands dry on her shirt absently. The baby seemed happy enough and was blowing bubbles with the drops of apple still on his lips. She laughed at the sight and scooped him up. "Good job, Samael. Go ahead and relax, I'll get him cleaned up. I'm sure he has to be cleaned down below too anyway," she said, cooing quietly at the young one as she carried him to the bathroom.