A Daemon and His Work

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Instantly, Samael's hands balled into fists, his eyes flashing dangerously. He strode up to the man, and shouted, "Stay away from her!" He was ready to go toe to toe with this guy, no matter the consequences. In the dim light, he could see that the man's eyes looked like Yuuki's. But, he didn't have time to contemplate this, nor the energy or want. All he wanted to do right now was protect his master, and that was Yuuki. His survival instincts were going wild, begging him to let his inner Daemon out and raze the entire city.

The man examined Samael and a slow grin spread across his lips, as if he saw something amusing. His hand raised and forcefully hurled Samael back, further than he had thrown Yuuki, aiming to toss the boy into a fence. Yuuki had climbed to her feet and threw her hands up, sending a responsive force back at the man. He slid back a few feet but didn't fly off in the air. All he did was grin more, as if glad that she had done it. He put his hand down instead of retaliating and strolled a bit closer. One of the street lights illuminated him, revealing that his hair and wings were both jet black and it wasn't a trick of the shadows.

"So, the halfling cares for the other halfling. How quaint," the man said, eying them both. He smirked and all four of his wings spread, making him seem even more threatening than he had before. Yuuki took a step back, confused. Halfling? What was he talking about? She frowned uncertainly and looked over at Samael to be sure he was okay, then looked back up at the man. "Go away, we're busy!" she snapped, and he chuckled. "You have a spine, that's nice to see. However, I can't go away. I know who you're searching for, and I thought I might as well tell you that she's dead."

Samael grunted as his back threw against the bended metal of the fence. His head swam for a few seconds while he recollected his thoughts, the impact jarring him. Forcing himself to his feet, still a little dizzy, he began running for Yuuki, coming into earshot just in time to hear the man say his last sentence. It stopped him in his tracks. It sort of felt like his heart was being crushed by a hand reaching into his chest. If it was that bad for him, how bad must it be for Yuuki?

Yuuki froze and stared at the man blankly for several long seconds as her mind refused to process what he was saying. She couldn't wrap her mind around the fact that her mother, the only family that she had left and the only one that she had been fighting for to find a cure and live a normal life.. was dead. Never again would she come home to a warm smile and a joke about how if she was going to lay in bed all day, they had to paint the walls. Her lungs felt constricted and she felt as though it were a fight to take each breath, her pulse flying rapidly out of control as she finally broke out of her silence and shook her head in defiance.

"You're a liar!" she yelled at the man, refusing to believe that he spoke the truth. He smirked and shook his head slowly, taking a few steps closer to her until he towered over her. "I have no need to lie about this. Your mother is dead, and I would know, as I killed her myself. Some vampires kidnapped her and I stole her from them just so that I could rip the still-beating heart from her chest. She warded the house against me, you see, so I could not get back in. All I could do was sit outside and watch, making her get sicker and sicker. If she hadn't clung to life so hard, the illness would have taken her weeks ago," he said calmly, and Yuuki stared at him in horror as her brain started piecing things together.

"B-But.. But.."

Finally, Samael reached Yuuki, hearing her shouted accusations. As the man approached her, he stood tall, defiant, ready to fight if the need arose, if he threatened Yuuki. The claim about him killing Yuuki's mother was near insane, but Samael had heard crazier, ones he had saw to believe. As Yuuki stuttered, Samael asked, his voice more level than he felt, "Who are you?"

"I am Gabriel. Perhaps you've heard of me," the man said with a wicked grin. "Worry not, halfling, I am no arch-angel come to bring justice down upon your blackened soul. I am Gabriel the seraphim, and I have come to finally take the lives that have gone on for far too long. Already I have killed by treacherous harlot of an ex-wife. Her screams will echo in my slumber tonight, I assure you. It was amusing, but.. The only thing she seemed concerned about was saving the life of her daughter. I personally don't understand what's worth saving over some halfling girl, but I didn't ask too many questions. Does that answer your question, boy?" he asked, his tone calm and amused and like pure ice.

Yuuki, who had already pieced together what he was going to say from before Samael had spoken, was merely standing there in shock. This man had just admitted to multiple things, none of which made her want to smile. The thing that struck her most was that he admitted to making her mother ill. It explained everything - why her mother never got better, why she only got sick after trying to speak about Yuuki's father.. She felt as though she had been stabbed all over again, this time in the heart.

"What is the seraphim's secret?" she asked numbly, knowing that he would know why she had said that all of a sudden earlier.

"You are," he said simply, then drew out a massive sword.

As the man called Gabriel began talking, slowly, inch by inch, Samael began reaching into his satchel, remembering something from his past that may save them. Hiding the object in his hands behind his leg, he lowly murmured to Yuuki, "Yuuki...I need you to run. Go, far away from here. My Contract says to protect you, and this is the only way I know of."

Instinctively, when the man took out the broadsword, he took a step back, but quickly regained his composure. Swallowing the fear he felt, but tried not to show, he took out the object in his hands. Holding the chain in front of him like a shield, he quickly recited:

"[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]I cast out you noxious vermin, by God, the Father almighty, by Jesus Christ, His only-begotten Son, and by the Holy Spirit. May you speedily be banished from our land and fields, lingering here no longer, but passing on to places where you can do no harm. In the name of the almighty God and the entire heavenly court, as well as in the name of the holy Church of God, we pronounce a curse on you, that wherever you go you may be cursed, decreasing from day to day until you are obliterated. Let no remnant of you remain anywhere, except what might be necessary for the welfare and use of mankind. Be pleased to grant our request, you who are coming to judge both the living and the dead and the world by fire.[/SIZE][/FONT]"

Samael shouted the words bravely, holding the cross before him. The words were things he had heard from vampires, when they were helping him against particularly strong Daemons, their enemies. He didn't know what to expect, when the vampires did it, it had little to no effect, that he could see, but he still hoped something would happen.

Yuuki didn't want to listen, but she didn't want to argue. She turned and ran down the street, heading back in the direction that had just been running from. Gabriel, meanwhile, was watching Samael as he held out the cross and yelled out the same thing that one might say if they were performing an exorcism. It was a nice try, honestly, and it did make him get an extreme headache. However, he simply grinned and ignored the pain, raising up the sword as he eyed the one that he saw as a foolish child.

"Listen well, Halfling boy. I am not some little demon that you can banish with blessed words and a piece of wood. You are nowhere near powerful enough to understand that. Right now, you are standing between an irritated being and his daughter. I advise that you stand down and accept that you're going to need a new master before the night is over," he hissed, then stepped closer to swing the sword at Samael's head.

Yuuki ran through the streets, ignoring people that she bumped into. She would have run forever if she hadn't slammed straight into Lysander. He seemed amused and she thought he was going to kill her right there on the sidewalk, but then he seemed confused and annoyed.

"Where is he?!"

Samael took several steps back, repeating the words again. But, at the end, he shouted, "I will not--" His voice was cut off as he dove to the floor, avoiding the giant claymore's swing. His heart thudded in his chest, a raucous symphony that distracted him. He hoped Yuuki had gotten away okay, praying in his heart, even though he didn't believe anyone was listening.

Scrambling to his feet, he searched through his internal inventory of what he had with him. Most of it was useless, objects or mementos taken from past enemies, forced upon him by the vampires, trophies of the times he was forced to kill. The other half of his stuff included what he had run away from them with, water bottles, and a little money he had no idea what to do with. Throwing his bag onto the ground, its contents spilling in front of him, he quickly looked about for anything he could use as a weapon, all the while eying Gabriel and his sword.

Lysander demanded to know where Samael was, and Yuuki as in no condition to lie this time. She just pointed behind her, hoping that the angry vampire could get rid of Gabriel before Samael was killed. He took off running with a few of the others along behind him, and Yuuki ran after them back toward Samael and Gabriel.

Gabriel, meanwhile, was smirking as Samael dodged the blow. This wasn't going to be overly easy - at least, not one-swing-easy. Good. He pulled the sword back up way over his head and slammed it into the ground, hoping to slice through Samael's middle and cut the boy in half. Let's see him live through that, he thought.

Samael danced back, almost dodging the swing. Almost. It cut him through his shirt, along a straight line from his right shoulder to the lower left part of his abdomen. He cried out in pain, falling to the ground, and blinking away tears. He wasn't going to cry, not to this man. Gabriel loomed over him, readying his attack again. The pain was unbearable, blood pouring out of his chest, his frantically beating heart betraying him. Now, he knew how Yuuki felt, when he had detachedly stabbed her for his own gain.

Just as he was going to swing again, Samael heard footsteps coming closer. Looking behind him by craning his neck, he saw Lysander, Jun, and Jamie all rushing forwards.

"Step away from him." Lysander said, his voice level. "He is property of the vampires. Killing him means war."

Yuuki ran along behind the others and didn't pause as they started up an argument with Gabriel. Instead, she went around them and looped her arms under Samael's from behind, tugging him off the sidewalk and onto the grass. She laid him there carefully and anxiously tore her sweater into long strips, using them as a bandage on the long wound. Tying it on firmly with the strips, she shook her head and bit her lower lip. Now wasn't the time to have an emotional break down, she scolded herself. So what if her father was an insane, scary man who wasn't human and had just murderered her mother? That was no reason not to be calm and save Samael. She almost laughed at the thought, starting to feel hysterical.

"Next time you tell me to run away, I'm going to slap you for being stupid and make you run away instead," she said, giving him a half smile before turning to watch the confrontation going on.

Gabriel paused his swing and looked up at the vampires, a wicked grin on his face. So, the Halfling was under the protection of a bunch of bloodsuckers. How odd, he would have thought the vampires would want somebody like Samael dead. He sheathed his sword and ripped a lightpost out of the ground, not even flinching at the sound of screeching metal. Swinging it at the trio in front of him as easily as a feather, he chuckled.

"Then let the war begin."

Samael winced as Yuuki pulled him away, his body wanting to pull him into unconsciousness, but his mind knowing he needed to stay awake for this. Suddenly feeling embarrassed as Yuuki took off his shirt, the feeling went away as her warm hands placed strips of her sweater over his wounds, staunching the flow of blood. After her quip, he smiled weakly, and, without thinking, he said, "And I won't listen to you, because..." his mind cleared. "Nevermind. I'll tell you if we get out alive."

At the same moment, Lysander and his vampires' sensitive ears caused them each to wince. This caused Jamie's reaction to slow, and as the lamppost was thrown at them, was the only one who was caught beneath it, Lysander and Jun ducking away. Instinctively, Jun reached for a sword, sheathed at his side. It was in no way larger than the one Gabriel held, but it was light, allowing him to move quicker. Lysander, taking a moment to glance at Yuuki, said, "Girl, you've gotten our weapon into a whole mess of trouble."

"Because why?" Yuuki asked curiously, looking over her shoulder at Samael as he spoke. She frowned as he said he'd tell her if they survived, now wanting answers, but she just nodded. As Lysander spoke to her, she looked over at him and stood up. "Oh shut up, Lysander, as if I care about making things harder on you. I have bigger problems to deal with right now than some group of vampires trying to act badass in a gang, picking on a guy. Three on one, yeah, that's fair. Why don't you go back to the playground and kick around some little kids instead of being a world class annoyance? He isn't yours, he's mine, and he's not a weapon for you to mock every chance you get!" she snapped, feeling more courageous than she had in a long time.. like, ever. She turned her back on him irritably and held out a hand to Samael. "Come on, let's get out of here before the neighborhood gets blown up."

Gabriel grinned as one of the vampires was smooshed beneath the flying lamppost, drawing out his sword again as Jun reached for his. He stepped forward, then jumped up, his four wings taking him up high in the night sky with just one beat. In seconds he came slamming back down, the sharp of the blade aimed to slam into the top of Jun's head.

From his position on the ground, Samael could see Lysander's eyes flash dangerously, and open his mouth as if to respond. He stopped when Gabriel moved for Jun, and he proceeded to reach into his jacket, taking out a semi-automatic. Samael's eyes widened a little, he didn't know Lysander had ever used one. Indeed, he hadn't ever seen Lysander pick up a weapon.

Jun was on the ground, bleeding from nearly everywhere. Lysander seemed unfazed, pointing his weapon directly at Gabriel. He fired off several rounds, direct hits, all in the chest area.

Samael turned to Yuuki, taking her hand in his, and standing up, even though it aggravated his wound. He had to be strong for her, especially now. Facing her, he said, "We need to leave, now, while everyone is distracted."

Yuuki completely ignored Lysander and everything that was happening with the others, though she did get sprayed with a squirt of blood from Jun. She nodded as Samael said that they had to leave and kept her hand in his, running through the yard and past Gabriel. They weren't that far from her house, and she had to at least pack a bag if they were planning on leaving. Right now, going home seemed foolish since all of their enemies knew where it was, but it couldn't be helped. She didn't have enough with her to run away with.

Gabriel smirked and licked the blood from his blade, nearly purring with delight as he watched Jun collapse. This was all too easy. Two vampires down and one left. He laughed and flicked the extra blood from the sword, his gaze set on Lysander. As he drew out a gun, Gabriel blinked in surprise, then raised his sword sideways to deflect the rounds. He managed to block a couple, but four lodged into his chest solidly. Falling back a step, he frowned and shook his head.

"That's not very nice, vampire. You don't see me staking you in the heart, do you?" he quipped, his voice a low growl. Now he had been shot and had a huge headache. Great. He was going to need to lay around for at least a week to get rid of all this shit. "I'll be back for the girl. You can have the Daemon boy," he said, taking three rapid swipes at Lysander with the sword before he vanished from sight.

As they ran past Samael's bag, he quickly scooped it into his hands, not willing to part with the only things he had ever had. Samael ran with her, even though every gasping breath he took sent lightning strikes of pain through his chest. He had to, for her sake. He had to get her out of the radius of the man named Gabriel. He didn't dare look back, instead focusing on the road ahead. Where would they be able to hide? It had seemed that the thing he had tried with the cross had worked, if only a little, so shouldn't a holy place work even more?

But, even more thought-provoking, was simple. Could Samael, half Daemon, half vampire, approach one? The cross and holy words hadn't bothered him, but he never knew.

Running with Samael back to her house, Yuuki ran up the stairs and burst in the door. She released his hand and opened the basement door, running downstairs and nearly tripping. Thankfully she didn't, and she made it down with no incident. She pulled a duffel bag out of the corner and packed a few random sets of clothes, then threw her money in, along with the purse she had been carrying that night. Adding a few random things like shoes and anything she deemed valuable, she wiggled out of her dress without caring if Samael had followed her or not. She tugged on a pair of snug jeans instead and a pair of sneakers, then slipped on a plain black shirt and a hoodie. An extra sweater was already in her bag.

She moved back upstairs and pulled the first aid kit out of the bathroom, plus some food that wouldn't go bad. Adding that to her bag, she walked into her mothers room and looked around. There was only one thing she wanted - a shoebox that contained everything her mother considered valuable enough to save. Taking that, she didn't even look in it before putting it in her bag. She took a deep breath and looked to Samael.

"Where are we going? A hospital may be good for you, to get stitched up before we go anywhere else.." she said, frowning in concern and moving over to him to examine his makeshift bandages.

Following Yuuki down the stairs to her bedroom, he sat down on the last step, gasping for breath. He normally was quite it, and able to run for many miles before having to stop. It must be his injury, he figured. As he caught his breath, she bustled around the room, packing various items.

When Yuuki began changing her clothes, he blushed, quickly turning his head, after gasping. He certainly wasn't used to a girl doing that, not in front of him. Frankly, he was kind of scared seeing a woman undressing in front of him.

As she went back up the stairs, he followed, much slower, having to take the steps one at a time. Once she spoke to him, he winced, his pain remembered. "I can stitch myself up with the same needle and thread I used for you. If we go to a hospital, who knows how long we'll be there. That man may come back. I don't want innocents killed."

Yuuki sighed and nodded, stepping close and gently pulling one strip of the sweater aside to look at the cut. It wasn't as deep as she had feared, but there was a definite chance of infection. She frowned and untied the strips holding the bandage on, then carefully removed it and threw it away.

"Let me clean it before you stitch yourself up. I don't want you to become ill," she said, bringing a bottle of alcohol and a towel from the bathroom. She poked at him to sit on the couch, then sat right next to him and carefully started cleaning out the wound. "I'm sorry if this hurts," she murmured, watching her own hands closely to be sure she didn't accidentally do anything harmful.