・Lungs・

Status
Not open for further replies.
The days that followed consisted of Florence driving around like a mad man.

Literally.

He had to have visited atleast twenty different towns, fifty different houses, and three schools. No one knew where she was, or how to get to her. He went to Echo, Fargo, Windomn, Cottonwood, Moore, Pipe-Stone... You name it, and Florence was there. In and out, he was there and he wasn't. He needed help finding her so badly, it hurt him.

But he knew she was still safe.

He had been calling and leaving voice-mails, and the last time he did call, it said that her mail box was full. After he waited atleast a day or two, he called again... and it was empty. He cried tears of joy, and wanted to tell everyone that she was alive. The love of his life was living and breathing, and probably well. He promised himself that right when he saw her, he would ask her to marry him. He would make sure she never left his side again. He would protect her from all things wrong and wicked, and he would love her terribly.

But that didn't tell him where she was. He spent the next few hours-- days, really, of his life, trying to crack into his phone, to see if there was an address that led to her location. Infact, he was in the middle of this when he heard a knock at the door. Florence paused for a moment, and put down his tools. When he went to the door, he saw him.

Nathaniel.

Florence rubbed an eye at the babbling teen, and watched him talk loudly and quickly. Florence hadn't gone to school in a few days, let alone left the house. He had forgotten the last time he slept or the last time he had food, but when he heard him bring up Valencia, he didn't let him finish. Florence pulled him into the house, and ran into the kitchen. He grabbed the put of coffee, downed the entire thing, and grabbed as much food as he could for the trip.

He grabbed a blanket, and tossed it the other's way. He decided to leave his phone on the table, and it wasn't long before he was shoving the other back out and into his car. He took off like a bat out of hell, and let the radio play loudly. He was going to find her. Florence was going to propose to her, and love her like a rock. He smiled wickedly, tears running down his face. He was shaking! He was livid!

He was living again.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Nate didn't even get to finish, before he was dragged inside the house. He yelped a bit at the sudden movement, his eyes wide and he wondered if Florence was going to do something like beat him up or something. But instead, the boy just ran all across the rooms, drinking coffee and gathering various items for the trip. He even threw a blanket at Nate, who fumbled around to catch it.

As Nate watched Florence, he felt something stir inside of him. For a second, he understood what Valencia was seeing before. Who wouldn't fall for a person who loved them so deeply? Who would give up everything in his life - even the most basic needs - just to make sure they're safe? Florence's determination was admirable and brea- Wait. Hold up, what?

Was Nate actually feeling some sort of positive feelings for Florence? Ew, yuck. No. Stop that.

He scrambled into Florence's car, barely able to make it in on time before he sped away. Nate then placed his bag on the floor and kept Florence's blanket in his lap. He was still rather self-disgusted by his own previous thoughts, but he quickly tried to squish those thoughts - and feelings - away. He stared straight ahead, "Did you hear me earlier? Lexington. I think you need to go on Highway 146 to get there."

Nate made the mistake of glancing over at Florence, and his eyes widened. Florence looked crazy, certainly, he was crying, but he was also smiling in so much happiness and relief. The guy was actually crying in happiness merely at the ONE clue that might lead to Valencia's location. Nate felt a pang in his chest and he looked away, the boy was crazy. Absolutely insane.

But why did Florence smile only brought on another smile in Nate?

He coughed slightly, covering up his mouth with the blanket that Florence tossed at him. When Nate took a look at the window, rain started to pour down from the sky and he groaned at their bad luck. "Be care driving," he muttered under his breath. "Last thing we need to be in is a crash."

• Love
Reactions: Dip
Florence felt like the rain was a good sign, no matter how slippery it made his 85 in a 60 zone feel. Florence felt like he fell in love all over again. He was chasing after it, and he was going to grab it and never let go. He was so happy, he couldn't contain the joy. As the thunder boomed and clapped, Florence thought it would be a good time to actually talked to Nathaniel.

"Nathaniel." He started, sniffing away some of the stray tears. "I know this is a shot in the dark, and I know I have no place to say this, but I'm hopeless for you sister." What else was new? "She haunts my every thought. She's in my dreams. I love her with every fiber of my being. And, my god, she uses correct grammar." He began to cry again.

"She knows the difference between their, there and they're. You're and your. Two, to and too. She knows for who and for whom. She has lips, and teeth, and a tongue, Nathaniel, and I have eyes for her alone." He smiled, wiping away tears from his cheeks. "I... I think I'm going to ask her to marry me." He said finally, before the car sputtered and spat, and kicked like a mule.

It was as if someone up there hated him, because right then, the car stopped.

• Love
Not even the car halting to a complete and utter stop could mimic the stillness of Nate's heart as it sank into the bottomless pit of total chaotic shock.

For the longest time, Nate just stared at Florence. He couldn't comprehend what the freak'n red hair just said. When it finally did, to say he exploded was an understatement. "What?! MARRY her?! Are you KIDDING me?! You're still in high school!!! HIGH SCHOOL!" He nearly yelled at the top of his lungs. The entire idea was appalling, it was idiotic and stupid!

Nate shook his head violently, his hands clutched on tightly to the blanket. "I don't care how devoted you are to her, no, Florence! Just, NO! Wait until you two are like 25 or something!" Who gets married when they're a teenager?! Whatever crazy thoughts Nate had earlier for the guy, Nate now takes them all back, there was absolutely no redeeming factor for this crazed fool.

"And what the hell is wrong with your car?!" At that, even Nate winced at the volume of his own voice. But he couldn't help it! He swears, every time the red head opened open his freak'n mouth, Nate was conditioned to get pissed off. It was as if it was a curse. As if to make matters worse, he could feel the cold air from the outside seeping in, and he let out a small shiver.

• Love
Florence was sent back to earth when the tires on the car halted to a stop. He didn't listen to the other, but instead, he headed quickly out the door and into the elements. As Florence went out, he closed the door, and felt the wind push him sideways. He braced it, and went towards the car. As he lifted the hood, it seemed like the entire thing went up in smoke. Did Florence let the old thing over-heat?! He slammed the hood down, fell silent for a moment.

It wasn't long before he took both his hands, and ball them into fists. He slammed them on the hood of the car so hard, it nearly broke his hands. He did so about two or three times, making dents and screaming at the top of his lungs until his voice shattered and broke, and he wasn't able to scream anymore.

He was so close. He was so damn close to seeing her, to feeling her, to hugging her and kissing her again. He was so close, and this had to happen. But maybe it would start again. Maybe it just came and went-- it did that before. Florence raced to the car, bloody knuckles shaking and hands fumbling. He started the car, and nothing happened.

Florence's face crumpled, and he admitted defeat.

At the banging, Nate's eyes were wide opened and he winced at every loud THUD that echoed in the car. In the back of his mind, he was glad that Florence was taking out his anger on the car rather on him.

And that scream.... It sounded so painful, so raw... Like someone was torturing Florence alive.

When Florence came back into the car, Nate wasn't quite sure what to do. He saw Florence try helplessly to start up the car again, but to no avail. He also felt his own heart fall at the predicament that they were in, but he couldn't find himself act up like Florence did. After all, it seemed like Florence did enough screaming and thrashing for the both of them.

He stayed silent for a few moments, but then tossed the blanket over at Florence. "You're cold." Was all he muttered, not sure what else to say. Nate was trying to think of solutions for their problems: They could walk? Or... Nate had a hard time thinking with the heavy air that surrounded them. But, the silence that enveloped them wasn't there for long, as suddenly, loud Tip Tap Tip Tap could be heard from all around them.

Nate cussed under his breath, glaring at the weather outside. Rain? - And was that even a bit of hail?! Well, there goes the idea of walking.

Nate then pulled out his phone and called 9-1-1, hoping that the police would be able to send over a tow truck and maybe a ride... But his call couldn't pull though, there was no signal.

They were literally stranded out in the middle of no where.

"Really?" He yelled a bit at his phone, tossing it down onto the ground. "At THIS time?!" He then ran his fingers through his hair - a habit he shared with Valencia - before letting out a large sigh. "I guess we're stuck in this car for now."

• Love
Florence's fingers crept to hold the blanket, and he held it gently. Cold was one word to describe it. Florence probably had ice over his heart by now. He was so tired from all the yelling and pounding, and the overall lack of sleep. Florence took off his hat and glasses, and rubbed his eyes. He rarely ever took off his glasses, and he was pretty sure Valencia was the only person at school to see him without them on. He threw them onto the dashboard, and threw his head back over the seat.

If Florence didn't want to cry before, he wanted to now. Rain. Lots and lots of rain fell. He couldn't believe it. Well, sure, that would be good for the car, but at what cost? If only Florence picked up his phone. If only he had checked more on Valencia. If only he had some more specific things to assure her safety.

Florence's eyes were tired. He combed a numb hand through his red curls and sighed, his lids drooping over his hazel eyes.

Nate looked over at Florence, as he was staying awfully quiet. He blinked at the lack-of-glasses, and wondered just what he was doing.

He saw the bags underneath Florence's eyes much more clearly now, and he frowned at the sight. "Have you been sleeping at all?" He asked, with a bit of patronizing tone in his voice. But he stayed quiet, as he realized that Florence was falling asleep.

Well, it was no wonder, Florence must have exhausted himself out with that fit that he threw. Nate mentally rolled his eyes lightly, Florence acted much like a child most of the time.

As he sat there, staring out the window, Nate wrapped his arms around himself and brought his legs up. He regretted tossing the blanket back over, he was now starting to feel the cold air much more harshly now. At first, he tried to turn up the heater in the car, but then he immediately saw the stupidity of his action. "Damn it..." He muttered under his breath, rubbing his hands together.

He tried to do something, but he anything he did ended up in a failure. He even tried to pull out some of his spare clothes, but they did nothing to warm up his freezing skin.

Finally, he relented. The cold was too much for him to bear. He said softly, half hoping that Florence was awake and half desperately hoping the boy was fast asleep asleep. "Do you mind if we share the blanket?"

Florence, at that time, was in a state of both awake and asleep. He was awake, sure, his eyes were still open, but he was having a hallucination. He was pulled out of this when Nathaniel asked about sharking, and Florence had to take a moment to recognize that the other was speaking in English.

Florence looked at the other, and back out side. Well, he had no excuse to say no. "Okay," He mumbled, taking the blanket and tossing it in the back seat. Once he tossed that back there, he followed. Florence took the left side, and the other got a little too close for comfort. Florence draped the blanket over them, and tried to go back into his half asleep state.

• Love
Nate hated the fact that they were doing this. He hated the fact that he had to sit so close to Florence. He hated their situation, he hated everything that was happening to them.

But he especially hated the fact that the warmth that was emitting from Florence was actually feeling rather nice and comfortable.

Wait. No. It wasn't the warmth from Florence, it was warmth from the blanket. Yeah. That's what it was.

At first, Nate was stiff. And despite his own tired mind, he couldn't get himself to fall into such a state that Florence was in. Speaking of, when Nate glanced over at the guy (which he then quickly looked away, because man... was Florence's face CLOSE), Nate realized that although the boy seemed to be in some sort of sleep... His eyes were still open. But they were dazed, so very dazed, as if he wasn't entirely on Earth anymore.

It freaked him out a bit, as he usually ever saw Florence's eyes filled with some sort of feeling - usually hatred, but that was besides the point - Florence hardly ever looked as... dead... as he did now. He didn't like it - something else he hated. "Hey." He decided to speak up, "Wake up Florence. Stop... Looking like that. You look like shit." He said, hoping to break him out of his strange trance.

The entire time, Nate refused to look at florence, instead he picked a spot on the chair in the car to stare at. He didn't move, his arms were still wrapped around his body, but slowly and surely... without realizing, Nate was leaning closer and closer to Florence, his body seeking for more of that nice warmth.

• Love
Florence, again, was pulled from the state when the other began to speak. "I feel like shit," Florence said, with a raw and raspy voice. He rubbed his eyes with his palm, careful to avoid the new forming bruises on his hands. "I haven't slept in about four days." His voice wheezed and cracked, threatening to give way that the screaming was a bad idea.

Florence soon, under the blanket, felt as if a sauna had moved in. The other was so warm, it was ridiculous. Florence looked outside, and watched the rain pelt the side of the car like some sort of bad omen. Someone up there must hate him. He sighed, and let his shoulders sag. "I want some coffee." That wasn't true. He wanted Valencia, but coffee would work, too.

He winced at the sound of Florence's voice. It didn't hold it's usual anger, conviction, and determination, and Nate found another thing he hated. He sighed, really, why did Florence always bring out the worst feelings in him?

Nate glanced over at Florence, making another mistake as he realized just how close he was, but he didn't feel like moving. It was too comfortable... It felt like one of those cold mornings, and he was all wrapped up comfortably underneath his own blankets, surrounded by the warmth of the bed. He didn't want to move then, and he didn't want to move now.

But Nate still couldn't cast aside the fact that the boy looked and sounded awful. "Coffee won't help you, idiot." He muttered, wondering just how many cups that boy downed the last few days. "Sleep would though, we're not going anywhere, so just close your eyes." Then, out of habit, he reached out a bit and gently brushed his hand over Florence's eyes, assisting in the process of closing it. It was something he use to do all the time for Valencia. Nate kept his hand there for just a few seconds, before dropping it, realizing what he was doing.

What was wrong with him?

• Love
Florence, too tired to notice and too cold to care, didn't react. He had given up the fight. He was done fighting. He would have thrown up his arms in defeat, but he didn't want to move the blanket. He tucked his hands into the fabric, wrapped them around his figure, and let out a sigh. He wanted a cigarette, sure, but he was empty. He had been chain-smoking a lot of them, now, and he could feel it taking a tole.

Florence let out another deep sigh as he was thinking to himself. The rain, the lostness, the closeness. A smile played on his face as he thought to himself. "This happened to Valencia and I." He started gently. "I was taking her out on a date-- our first date. I never bought a suit in my life, but I wanted to look nice for her." He chucked as his voice wavered. "You should have seen her. She was glowing."

Florence's head lolled off to the side as he spoke in a tired tongue. "This was when this car was in better condition. I wanted to take her to the park, because there was a bunch of turtles there and... I think they were still eggs at that point. But half way there, it started raining and I ran out of gas." Florence chuckled. "I was so embarrassed. I was so sure she wouldn't want to date me anymore, but we pushed the car off to the side and danced in the rain for a good hour."

Florence opened his eyes, and smiled widely. "I don't feel much like dancing, but you do remind me a lot of your sister."

• Love
Nate didn't know how to react to the story. He spent the majority of the year hating the fact that the two were together... To hear such a sweet story that involved the two of them... Made Nate doubt exactly what he was hating to begin with. He even found himself smiling at the thought of dancing in the rain.

Not that he had any urge to do that right now, but... The thought of it sounded enjoyable.

And as Florence talked more and more, Nate found himself relaxing a bit underneath the constant lull of his voice. His own eyes drooped to a close.

But, at Florence's final comment, Nate felt his face heat up. Him? Like Valencia? Like sweet Valencia that could charm anybody to do anything she wanted? He shook his head, hiding his face under the blanket, as to avoid allowing Florence to see his embarrassment. "No, I'm nothing like her." He muttered, "You're just being disillusioned right now. Go to sleep already."

"You two are spitting images." Florence commented. "But your problem is that you care too much." Florence closed his eyes again. He took one of his arms, and put it against the glass, so he had something like a pillow to hang onto. "But, I guess I care too little. I dunno. All I know is that I'm going to be stronger for her than my dad was for my mom."

Florence rarely talked about his family life, but when he did, it was only with two people; Mackenzie and Valencia. Mackenzie was like family, so he had a right to Florence's streets, but Valencia was different. He saw how perfect she was brought up, and how beautiful her family was, and Florence wanted that for her. He wanted that more than anything, really. He opened his eyes, and sighed, his breath fogging up the window. He decided to draw sun.

"I think I decided to stop loving with my heart a while ago. I think I might love your sister with all of my lungs."

• Love
Nate listened to the boy ramble on and on, and next thing he knew, he found himself leaning against Florence, his head feeling too heavy to keep up. He only heard bits and pieces of Florence's talk, though, as Nate was drifting in and out of consciousness. He did manage to mutter out, "I do not care too much..." He sounded almost drunk, though.

Nate also managed to capture the gist of what Florence was saying, and he felt a pang of sadness for him at the mention of his family. Was Florence's father not a good man? Did he ditch them? Nate knew how horrible people could be, and he felt sorry for Florence that he had to endure such a thing... But he didn't know what to say. How to comfort the guy? Nate seemed to encounter this problem often, and he wasn't any bit closer into figuring out the answer to the issue.

"Your lungs...?" Nate let out a scoff, although it sounded more like a tired sigh. "Idiot, that's not a body part you can feel with... You care 'bout her... Obvious to see... Otherwise we... wouldn't be here..." By end of the his sentence, though, Nate seemed to have completely drifted away.

Florence knew it sounded off, the entire definition with his lungs, but he had a good reason behind it. Florence kept it to himself, breathing in and out with the feeling of love. It wasn't long before he too, fell asleep, and everything was right with the world. He tried to pretend that the sleeping body next to him was her, but that made him feel ridged. He stopped pretending for a few moments, and accepted it as it was: Unperfect. Florence slept like a baby.

Florence was the first to wake up, which was surprising, because he had only a few hours of sleep. When he woke up, his throat felt raw. He rubbed it, and stumbled out of the car carefully, making sure not to disturb the sleeping body. Florence checked the hood of the car, all the parts, and he soon sat at the front seat. He pushed in the keys, and it started like it always did.

Florence sighed, and put the car in gear.

Softly, he played the radio, and softly he began to sing along to the words Elvis would sing to him. "Wise men say... Only fools rush in, but I can't help falling in love with you." Florence took the correct turn, and he was back on the highway.

• Love
When Nate woke up, he heard the hum of the car echo around him. He sat up, a bit disoriented, and rubbed his eyes. He blinked when he realized that the car was moving. Wasn't it stopped? Didn't it break down?

He looked to the front seat and saw that Florence was driving, singing along to whatever song on the radio. "Florence? Did you fix the car?" He asked with confusion. Like a good samaritan, though, Nate sat back and buckled up. "Why didn't you wake me when you did?"

Nate kept the blanket wrapped around himself, still enjoying the warmth. "And you didn't sleep enough," He frowned, again, with a chiding tone, "Perhaps we should pull over so you can sleep a little more. Or I can take over driving."

Florence wasn't listening. He was tired, sure, but he was still responsible. "No," Florence said. "Rule one of my car: Florence Birdwhistle drives it. Rule two of my car: No one touches the glove compartment."

Florence didn't elaborate on that, simply because he was too tired to, after too little sleep. He figured he would somewhere, buy a coffee, and ask if someone knew where she was. Florence only realized that they were in a large suburb with only one hallow clue, but that wouldn't stop him. Florence pushed on, with a yawn, and continued driving.

Nate rolled his eyes at Florence's stubbornness. "Just let me drive, you look like you are going to pass out! It's not like I'll crash your car!"

And at the next warning, Nate glanced over at the glove department. He was curious, but he decided not to pry... Yet. He had other issues to attend to - such as letting Florence sleep beside his sleep deprivation killed them both. "Come on, just pull over!" He insisted yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.