Assassin's Doubt

Hayden nodded. He knelt down as Alaster nudged his hand. "What is it bud..?" He asked softly. He rubbed the pup's head softly.

Alaster pants and wags his tail. Then he gently takes the edge of Hayden's sleeve in his mouth and tries to tug him over towards Thomas, whose face is currently turned away towards the wall.

Hayden chuckled ever so softly and followed Alaster. "What are you doing?" He asked quietly, confused.

Alaster whines and drops Hayden's wrist to nudge Thomas' shoulder.

"Not now, boy," Thomas mumbles, a slight crack in his voice. "G - go see Hayden."

Hayden sat on the edge of the bed and put his hand on Thomas's arm. "Hey..." he said quietly. "Talk to me... tell me what you're thinking."

Thomas flinches and curls up under his blanket. He's silent for almost a minute, his face still hidden from view. "I . . . I've never had a friend like you before. I - " He swallows and tries again. "What if we get into trouble we can't pull ourselves out of? Look, I appreciate you protecting me and all, but . . . m - maybe it's safer if I do this on my own."

Hayden shook his head. "No." He said, his voice a little stern, but it softened again. "I can't let you do this alone... and I won't. I'd never forgive myself if something happened to you Thomas." He shifted closer. "I'm with you all the way in this. I know almost their every weakness, I know what to look out for and how to get out of more situations than I care to remember." He was serious, his hand not leaving the male's shoulder. "I've never had anyone like you... and I'm not going to leave your side."

Thomas sniffs and roughly wipes his eyes, and then pushes himself up to turn and wrap Hayden in a hug. "Thanks," he chokes out at last. "I promise I'll do my best to protect you, too. Even if I'm not very good at it yet."

Alaster sits on the other bed, wagging his tail and panting. Then he sniffs the air and barks. He bounces to the door, whining and scratching at it.

"Alaster . . .?" Thomas asks hesitantly. He draws his gun and stiffens. "What is it now?"

Hayden was a little startled as Thomas hugged him, but he hugged back. He let out a soft sigh of relief. "We'll be ok." He said when Thomas finished talking.
When Alaster barked, Hayden jumped. He clambered off the bed, grabbing his knife, he watched the door closely. "Is someone there Alaster?" He asked as he approached slowly.

"Evening!" Mr. Cobblestone's voice calls from the other side of the door. "Would you boys care for some pizza?"

Thomas relaxes at once. "I guess Alaster's hungry. He hasn't eaten since lunch," he adds. He grins as his stomach rumbles. "Neither have I. You can let him in, Hayden."

Hayden let out a breath of relief and tossed his knife back onto the bed.
"Hey Mr. Cobblestone." He smiled as he opened the door. "Pizza? Man, that sounds awesome." He looked over at Thomas, still smiling.

Thomas smiles back, barely noticing as a light blush creeps onto his cheeks. He averts his eyes and it leaves as he decides to ruffle Alaster's ears instead. Despite what he'd said before about working alone, he's really happy that Hayden has decided to stay on as his bodyguard, and not just because the boy's an expert at protecting people and fighting. Could it be he's actually falling for his would-be assassin?

Mr. Cobblestone cuts into his thoughts as the man sets several boxes of pizza down with a thunk. "You're welcome. It seemed safe enough tonight. After all, no alien messages or sightings have come in this evening," he explains.

Hayden nodded, feigning seriousness. "Thank you. Be careful, you never know what you'll run across." He said calmly, then smiled some. He stretched. Looking back to Thomas again, he realized something... he felt more attached to Thomas than he'd ever felt towards anyone else. His arms fell to his sides and he looked back to Mr. Cobblestone.

Despite being eccentric and alien-crazed, Mr. Cobblestone can spot a crush when he sees one. He smiles and clears his throat, patting Hayden's shoulder. "Give me a call if you need anything. I'll be in the secret containment room."

Thomas finally moves over to the table where the pizza is and pops open a box, grabbing slices of pizza to put on three seperate plates. "Ready to dig in, Hayden?" he calls.

Hayden nodded and shut the door behind Mr. Cobblestone. He turned to find Thomas setting plates. He walked over, smiling. "Ready. It smells great." He chuckled.

"That guy sure knows how to spoil his guests, huh?" Thomas asks with a grin, sliding a plate of pizza towards Hayden. He sets another plate on the floor for Alaster, who immediately scarfs the meal down. "Between you and me, I'm pretty sure I'm his only consistent customer. The only other people who come here are from out of town or couldn't find another hotel in time. It's too bad. He's a great host, you know."

Hayden caught the plate and picked it up. "Yeah, he does." He chuckled before taking a bite. As he listened to Thomas, he nodded in agreement, speaking once he finished his bite. "He's been really good." He said as he sat down after a moment.

Thomas gulps down another piece of pizza. "So I was thinking, maybe if you know people, you could get them to check this place out if they ever need a hotel. I, uh . . . I don't know too many people," he mumbles, eyes flicking down towards his plate.

Hayden nodded. "If I know anyone who isn't corrupt or evil, I will." He walked over to get another piece of pizza. "Thanks for showing me this place Thomas." He smiled and put an arm on the detective's shoulders.

Thomas blinks in surprise and glances up, a smile slowly crossing his lips. "It's the least I could do, you saving my life and all," he says softly. He clears his throat and leans back in his chair. "So, after we help Mr. Cobblestone with his 'alien' thing, who's the first person we go after to bring down the crime ring?"