Assassin's Doubt

Hayden breathed a sigh of relief when he saw Thomas. He tried to stand, but was glad Thomas was there, or he'd collapse. "Alaster.." he glanced down in the pool. "We've got to get him out." He completely ignored the question about his leg.

"Alaster's fine," Thomas says softly, nodding towards where the dog is climbing out of the pool and shaking himself off. "I'm worried about you. How bad is your leg? Is the bullet still in there?"

The pitbull rushes over, whining and licking Hayden's face. He doesn't realize he's dripping water everywhere.

Hayden pet the dog weakly. "No... it went straight.. through." Now that the adrenaline in his system was wearing off, shock was setting in. He felt cold, shivering as his leg was already drenched in blood. "It needs stitches... and we need to stop... the bleeding.."
He looked to the man. "I need.. my knife.."

Thomas hugs Hayden close before carefully moving him into a sitting position, setting his back against the wall. "Okay, hang on. I got this," he promises. "I'm going to take care of you." He grabs Hayden's knife, but instead of giving it to Hayden, he uses it to tear part of his own shirt off. This he ties tightly around Hayden's leg as a makeshift tourniquet. Then he starts digging through his pockets, looking for his first-aid kit.

Alaster whines and presses against Hayden, trying to keep him warm as well as awake by licking his hand and cheek.

Hayden's eyes flickered, but he looked to Alaster. "Hey bud.. it'll be ok." He didn't care that the dog was wet, the warm from him helped. He laid his head on the wall, holding Alaster close as he pet the dog. "Thomas... I'll need crutches..." he tried to carry a conversation. Keep his brain going.

"We'll get you some," Thomas says, pulling open the first-aid kit before pouring medicine over a rag and starting to clean Hayden's leg. "You know, what you did was really stupid and could've gotten us both killed." He smiles and starts preparing thread and a needle. "But it worked. Thank you. That's what, twice you've saved my life? Maybe three times?" he asks.

He pauses to poke Hayden's leg. "The numbing medicine should've kicked in by now. Can you feel this?" he adds softly.

Hayden stared up at the ceiling. "That man... he worked for the other side. He.." he stopped mid-sentence to answer Thomas. "no, I can't." He looked to Alaster, pausing a moment. "I don't.. remember.. what I said.."

"Something about that psycho working for the other side, whatever that means," Thomas says. "Did you know him? Or that guy, Skinner, he was with?" He carefully starts sewing up Hayden's leg. For an ametuer detective, he seems top notch at medical care.

Alaster pants and wags his tail when Hayden looks at him, and the pitbull reaches up to shower the boy in kisses.

"Knew him... met him when I was younger.. he.. he helps carry out jobs for.. for a rival group-" Hayden chuckled weakly as Alaster licked him. "Thank you buddy." He said with a faint smile.